• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 2.0: The Return of the Thirst

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

I've completed OoT, Twilight Princess, MM, and Link Between Worlds.

So I ordered an E-Cig set and it arrived today. Wanna stop smoking due to reasons, managed to get down on cigs quite a bit and now I'll see if just having something handy to simulate actual smoking will help a bit with that.

Got weird flavours, tobacco and spearmint, both without any nicotine whatsoever. Wish me luck, I plan to be smoke free by the end of next week at latest.

Good luck, man. I hope you succeed. Remember to keep your withdrawal symptoms in check if you end up getting any.

NinjaBoiX

Good luck with the cigs Timo, Lisa will not want to kiss an ashtray. Use that as your motivation!
That is also a very good underrated Foo Fighters song. The fucking riffs.
One man band shit, all his own work. Grohl, we salute you.

(I blow hot and cold with the Foo's, I like them, but sometimes I stick them and and think "meh". It's weird. They're no Nirvana, but he is one top geeza which counts for a lot in my book.)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Good luck, man. I hope you succeed. Remember to keep your withdrawal symptoms in check if you end up getting any.

Thanks! I'll try! I managed to stay clear for a year once (then things happened), so I know it's a rough time at first, but I've got some things now that hopefully will remind me of why I want to do this :)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, very true. I like all kinds mate, from bubblegum pop to shoegazing prog-rock. If it butters my parsnips, it butters my parsnips.

I tend to talk more about the cool, underground muso stuff because it's fun to be a cool, underground muso. But I'm past caring running everything through a "socially acceptable" filter.

To me, it's cooler to not give a fuck and just like what you like innit.

:p

Preach, brother!

One man band shit, all his own work. Grohl, we salute you.

(I blow hot and cold with the Foo's, I like them, but sometimes I stick them and and think "meh". It's weird. They're no Nirvana, but he is one top geeza which counts for a lot in my book.)

Yeah, Grohl's a fucking dood. Never liked Nirvana though. Cobain suffered from grunge voice syndrome, where it's not so much singing as just sort of...snarling.

Also, I know this may seem weird coming from Mr Punx, but their production never seemed particularly great to me.

*shrug*

That said, I do like some of their songs. Territorial Pissings is pretty great.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The only Zelda I haven't played that I really wanna play is Skyward Sword. I've heard the backstory given in that game is worth slogging through all the handholdy gameplay.

Other than that I've played all the mainline entries besides the DS or 3DS titles, I've heard really good things about ALBW though.

The only Zelda I haven't played that I really wanna play is Skyward Sword. I've heard the backstory given in that game is worth slogging through all the handholdy gameplay.

Other than that I've played all the mainline entries besides the DS or 3DS titles, I've heard really good things about ALBW though.

To be honest, SS is my favorite Zelda simply for the story. I'm a longtime fan of the series (OoT holds a special place in my heart because it was my first console game ever), and to be completely honest, there were a lot of things about the game that I really didn't like. I hated the backtracking, I hated the reused levels, the dungeons were subpar if we're being honest here, and it was so fucking long. Like, 55 hours. For a Zelda game.

But the story redeemed that of that. For the first time, explanations for some of the core questions of the series were answered. Where did the Triforce come from? Why did the Master Sword randomly end up in the Secret Grove? Who is Link? Where does Ganon come from? How are the two connected? Why does Zelda always have magic powers? It was AWESOME.

Plus the soundtrack is great, so...there's that. Not to mention, the game is beautifully animated, despite how you feel about cell shading.

Also, I know this may seem weird coming from Mr Punx, but their production never seemed particularly great to me.
wbSAxim.jpg

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, Grohl's a fucking dood. Never liked Nirvana though. Cobain suffered from grunge voice syndrome, where it's not so much singing as just sort of...snarling.

*shrug*

That said, I do like some of their songs. Territorial Pissings is pretty great.
Kurt did mumble a lot, but I could always understand what he was saying. Not like Thom York (I love Radiohead but he's barely coherent a lot of the time) where he hardly enunciates at all.

But I love the raw production of Nirvana's music, Bleach was reportedly recorded on an 8-track for just $3000 over a matter of weeks (the duration is somewhat of a question mark as although they only spent a few weeks recording over the course of a year, Jack Endino apparently spent a lot of that year mixing the record off his own back.)

But this is just incredible, two lines of lyrics through the whole track, one whole bucket of awesome:

Nirvana - School
Noice.

The water temple in TP is VILE.

Oh, and the Twilight Palace nearly gave me a heart attack, so there's that.

Every water temple is FILTH according to most of the Zelda enthusiasts in this thread.

Are you saying that the one in Twilight Princess was extra FILTH? Because I fucking believe it.

I was getting some bubble tea and that song was on. My God, her voice...it's as if she were screeching into my ear.

Basically. I really can't stand her voice at all.

Every water temple is FILTH according to most of the Zelda enthusiasts in this thread.

Are you saying that the one in Twilight Princess was extra FILTH? Because I fucking believe it.

Nothing beat's OoT's water temple. Nothing. It is the worst level in any game ever. That being said, TP's is a close second. I had more trouble with OoT's version.

Both are about changing the water level in order to reach the boss door, but there is more guidance in TP's version. In OoT, they basically just throw you in the temple, which is filled with different rooms, corridors, and puzzles, and you have to do them in the right order in order to properly raise the water level. You have to do this for the entire temple. If you mess it up, and do it in the wrong order, it's very possible that you'll have to start over. TP's doesn't have that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ1L0ZhzGqo

vs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnFigrVze8M

zeemumu

Chronologically, SS is the first game in the series, so I'd like to play it to see the origin. OoT is where the Zelda Timeline gets screwy.

And the best part of TP was that final boss battle. I don't like it when the bosses go from normal size, to huge boss. I prefer it where the boss starts out huge, then becomes normal sized and you fight in a 1v1 duel. OoT ganon started out as normal ganon then turned into demon king, but TP ganon went from possessed Zelda to demon ganon to horseback ganon to sword ganon.

OoT's water temple is worst, with MM's great bay temple following close behind.

Chronologically, SS is the first game in the series.

And the best part of TP was that final boss battle. I don't like it when the bosses go from normal size, to huge boss. I prefer it where the boss starts out huge, then becomes normal sized and you fight in a 1v1 duel. OoT ganon started out as normal ganon then turned into demon king, but TP ganon went from possessed Zelda to demon ganon to horseback ganon to sword ganon.

OoT's water temple is worst, with MM's great bay temple following close behind.

Yeah, MM's temple was terrible too.

In fact, pretty much all of the temples in MM were bad. The mask collecting is what made the game shine.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I don't mean Albini's a bad producer, just that Nirvana's specifically always seemed bad to me. Like it's just a bit empty and the instruments don't really mesh. I much prefer his work on, say, 24 Hour Revenge Therapy by Jawbreaker (best emo fuck err'one else) or with Mclusky

Kurt did mumble a lot, but I could always understand what he was saying. Not like Thom York (I love Radiohead but he's barely coherent a lot of the time) where he hardly enunciates at all.

But I love the raw production of Nirvana's music, Bleach was reportedly recorded on an 8-track for just $3000 over a matter of weeks (the duration is somewhat of a question mark as although they only spent a few weeks recording over the course of a year, Jack Endino apparently spent a lot of that year mixing the record off his own back.)

But this is just incredible, two lines of lyrics through the whole track, one whole bucket of awesome:

Nirvana - School

Noice.

I don't even care about enunciation, it's just the fucking grunge voice. It's a more slurry variation on standard grunge voice, but it's still grunge voice. I hate grunge voice. It sounds dumb. Which is annoying, since grunge guitar can be pretty great. Probably why I like early Smashing Pumpkins and Feeder, they don't sing like twats.

Worst grunge voice is probably fucking whatshisname from Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder?

I can respect the cheap as fuck recording though. That's always cool.

wut

WUT

gary-oldman-you-suck.gif

You are dead to me. DEAD.
:c

I just love The Ergs. The Ergs are way up in the best pop-punk bands ever rankings, and I like pop-punk waaaaay more than grunge, so it makes sense.

Also Joe is a fucking beast on bass.

Listen to the bass. Fuck yes.

Dorkrockcorkrod is like...top 3 albums of the 00s.

zeemumu

Yeah, MM's temple was terrible too.

In fact, pretty much all of the temples in MM were bad. The mask collecting is what made the game shine.

Actually, the Ikana Canyon castle and Stone Tower Temple were pretty good. For me, The side missions are what make that game so good, as well as the soundtrack and the irony that your ocarina is more important in MM than it is in OoT.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
To be honest, SS is my favorite Zelda simply for the story. I'm a longtime fan of the series (OoT holds a special place in my heart because it was my first console game ever), and to be completely honest, there were a lot of things about the game that I really didn't like. I hated the backtracking, I hated the reused levels, the dungeons were subpar if we're being honest here, and it was so fucking long. Like, 55 hours. For a Zelda game.

But the story redeemed that of that. For the first time, explanations for some of the core questions of the series were answered. Where did the Triforce come from? Why did the Master Sword randomly end up in the Secret Grove? Who is Link? Where does Ganon come from? How are the two connected? Why does Zelda always have magic powers? It was AWESOME.

Plus the soundtrack is great, so...there's that. Not to mention, the game is beautifully animated, despite how you feel about cell shading.

OoT does do magical things for people, OoT was no where near my first game but I always credit it as the game that really really got me into video games. The first time I stepped into Hyrule field I freaked out and ran my 7 year old ass downstairs and I had to be like MOM DAD LOOK LOOK LOOK AT HOW BIG THIS PLACE IS CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!

You know I recall Twilight Princess being a monster my first playthrough, like almost 85 hours long, that game was beefy as hell but most of it came from bloated as fuck between dungeons stuff, like those collect all the light bug puzzles. As for SS even with all those rather heavy criticisms I'll still have to give it a shot. The whole Demise back story seems too important to ignore and I've heard it almost feels like what all the other 3D zeldas were building towards.

It's still so oddly expensive though, hard to find for even 30 bucks!!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Worst grunge voice is probably fucking whatshisname from Pearl Jam. Eddie Vedder?

I can respect the cheap as fuck recording though. That's always cool.

Vedder's voice shares similarities with the dudes from Alice in Chains and Soundgarden, not Cobain. Nirvana aren't really a grunge band... if you think they are, then PJ, AiC and Soundgarden aren't grunge. Those bands have little to nothing in common with Nirvana except geography and timing.

I just love The Ergs. The Ergs are way up in the best pop-punk bands ever rankings, and I like pop-punk waaaaay more than grunge, so it makes sense.

Ah. I see the issue. Carry on.

I'll have a listen when I get home, chief.

OoT does do magical things for people, OoT was no where near my first game but I always credit it as the game that really really got me into video games. The first time I stepped into Hyrule field I freaked out and ran my 7 year old ass downstairs and I had to be like MOM DAD LOOK LOOK LOOK AT HOW BIG THIS PLACE IS CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!

You know I recall Twilight Princess being a monster my first playthrough, like almost 85 hours long, that game was beefy as hell but most of it came from bloated as fuck between dungeons stuff, like those collect all the light bug puzzles. As for SS even with all those rather heavy criticisms I'll still have to give it a shot. The whole Demise back story seems too important to ignore and I've heard it almost feels like what all the other 3D zeldas were building towards.

It's still so oddly expensive though, hard to find for even 30 bucks!!

85 hours for TP? I beat it in like...20. What were you doing lol

For SS, go into it knowing that it has a lot of problems, but it also has a lot of strengths, too. It's fun if you go into it with an open mind; it honestly doesn't really feel like a Zelda title.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

For SS, go into it knowing that it has a lot of problems, but it also has a lot of strengths, too. It's fun if you go into it with an open mind; it honestly doesn't really feel like a Zelda title.

20 hours seems insanely fast for a first play through considering the lead up to the first dungeon is 3 hours alone.

On a recent play through where I just kinda rushed my way through it the game still took me 35 hours to finish lmfao. Maybe I'm just shit at TP, and yeah I'll def go into it with an open mind, but honestly it's really hard for me to 100% hate a game and not have a good time with what i'm given. So I'm not particularly worried about being disappointed, as much as I am annoyed that I CAN'T GET A 3 YEAR OLD WII GAME FOR 30 DOLLARS

zeemumu

They all have their share of problems. OoT's Water Temple and complicating the timeline, MM's first 3 temples and the Kafei and Anju quest, WW's Triforce collection quest, TP's temples and AC1 qualities, etc.

20 hours seems insanely fast for a first play through considering the lead up to the first dungeon is 3 hours alone.

On a recent play through where I just kinda rushed my way through it the game still took me 35 hours to finish lmfao. Maybe I'm just shit at TP, and yeah I'll def go into it with an open mind, but honestly it's really hard for me to 100% hate a game and not have a good time with what i'm given. So I'm not particularly worried about being disappointed, as much as I am annoyed that I CAN'T GET A 3 YEAR OLD WII GAME FOR 30 DOLLARS

I basically just blasted through it. I always beat the story first, then go back and do all the side shit after I finish. The lead up to the first dungeon isn't that long. Maybe an hour, tops.

Nintendo is always shit when it comes to their prices on old games. SSBB is still like $30. >_>

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
They all have their share of problems. OoT's Water Temple and complicating the timeline, MM's first 3 temples and the Kafei and Anju quest, WW's Triforce collection quest, TP's temples and AC1 qualities, etc.

OoT's water temple gets too much heat if you ask me, it's a solidly designed place. If you ask me the worst designed dungeon in OoT is the fire temple. The Majora's Mask water temple on the other hand is kind of awful. The reverse flow puzzles aren't particularly fun, as much as they feel like trial and error, it's also really short which is only artificially inflated by the awkwardness of the puzzles. Every time I go through MM's water temple I feel like I exploited my way through something.

Nintendo is always shit when it comes to their prices on old games. SSBB is still like $30. >_>

Tell me about it, some times I wonder if investing in OoT3DS copies is a safer security than putting my money in the bank. Their games do not ever drop in price.

Kafei and Anju is best sidequest you fool

Also I never really minded any of the water temples. OoT's is probably the worst, but eh.

MutFox

Banned
Zelda Ranking?

Here's the top 5 I can currently think of now...

1. Ocarina of Time - Love this game, beat it 100% and 1st playthrough played the dungeons in the wrong order... :p

2. Link to the Past - Started the formula that's still used today...

3.The Legend of Zelda - Love it for Nostalgia reasons, my dad and me played through this game together when I was a kid... :p Still remember dying on Ganon, going to bed, then while asleep my dad busting into my room, going "come quick!" and seeing dead Ganon laying there... ;P

4. Skyward Sword - If it wasn't for the Collect-o-thon and stupid hand holding, it would be top.

5. Twilight Princess/Majora's Mask - TP would be better if not artificially made longer, the field also felt dead... MM, collecting had more meaning, Bosses didn't feel as polished as OoT...

Never actually finished Link's Awakening... :|

NinjaBoiX

Give this a shot.

giphy.gif

Moo ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa*cough**hack**splutter*urrrrgh.
A bit too out there and sparse for me Meat, but coughing on tunes is cool:

The Kills - Cheap and Cheerful

They used playground chants and stuff as inspiration for this record (Midnight Boom), particularly on the rhythms, resulting in a slightly bubblegum sound in places. But some of the other stuff on there is a lot more raw. The intro to this is so Sonic Youth:

The Kills - Last Day of Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom