• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FakeGAF 3.0: The Thirsty Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
f5FvP22.gif

I've never noticed that the smile slowly gets bigger and bigger. Sweet jesus

Clydefrog

don chy-dell

that's how my friend used to pronounce Don Cheadle.

i still laugh to this day

any image of the actor makes me laugh too. well done.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Pretty and Machinehead in the same sentence? I may have to check this out when I return home...

FWIW, From This Day still gets regular rotation at Papa's Haus.

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor on PC has an optional texture-pack you can download, which it recommends you have 6GB of VRAM for. People are losing their minds over this complaining about how their video cards are all crap and they were betrayed by the people who recommended them and the world is ending etc

Davedough

Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor on PC has an optional texture-pack you can download, which it recommends you have 6GB of VRAM for. People are losing their minds over this complaining about how their video cards are all crap and they were betrayed by the people who recommended them and the world is ending etc

My card is only a 1Gb card. It's going on 5 years old. Sure, I can't max settings anymore but it still plays games. Graphics whores be graphics whores. I'll upgrade eventually =)

The_Poet

Banned

There is always resistance to progress.

brb getting sli gtx980's

Davedough

Stupid question as I'm sure there's an obvious answer about it, but if computers can easily be outfitted with 16Gb of ram and even more in cases, why can't they pack that same amount of ram on a GPU? It seems like video cards are always behind on that aspect.

fine, sli 780 6gb's

Im sure they'll eventually bring out a 6GB 980/970 too

I'm reasonably sure that they are not. But there probably will be 8 GB versions.

Stupid question as I'm sure there's an obvious answer about it, but if computers can easily be outfitted with 16Gb of ram and even more in cases, why can't they pack that same amount of ram on a GPU? It seems like video cards are always behind on that aspect.

It is a different type of memory (GDDR5 vs DDR3), I think GDDR5 is more expensive. The pooled memory on the next gen consoles I think is all GDDR5.

GDDR5 is indeed much costlier than DDR3. There are video cards available that use DDR3 memory instead of GDDR variants, but these are usually very low end, or low-mid range mobile parts.

EDIT:

No, the PS4 is using GDDR5 but the XBO and WiiU are both using DDR3 main memory with small caches of expensive DRAM to help offset the bandwidth loss.

The_Poet

Banned
T minus 1 hour until drinking time.

Playing poker with some guys from work 2moz, any poker pros wanna give me a few tips?

I already have my sunglasses and hoodie.

Davedough

Playing poker with some guys from work 2moz, any poker pros wanna give me a few tips?

I'm not a pro, but I'm usually always in the top 3 of the poker nights we host.

Be aggressive. People tend to shy away once their chips start getting a little low. Start throwing out big money every now and again and get a feel for who's a conservative player and who's not. If they start calling you on big gains, then they're either holding something genuine or they're trying to pull the same thing on you. The sheepish ones will always back out when the pot gets too high for their comfort level.

Don't be afraid to run with a high pair. Sure, its easy to beat, but there are a lot of times where people are just using a high card because their straight didn't work out.

That being said. DONT CHASE STRAIGHTS. If you've got 4 cards to a straight, and you only either need the high end or the low end to make it, sure... go for it. But if you've only got 3 cards to the straight or your cards aren't consecutive in your hand, you'll lose money. Its not often that the cards fall where they need to be. That being said, know your straight levels. 7 to a J, 9 to a Q, etc... so, if you're playing Texas Hold 'Em and you get dealt the bottom and top end of a straight possibility, its not necessarily a bad hand to bet against if the pot is remaining low.

Dont be afraid to fold. There's always next hand. If you're uneasy about what you're holding, wait.

Drink lots of beer and have fun.

The_Poet

Banned
I'm not a pro, but I'm usually always in the top 3 of the poker nights we host.

Be aggressive. People tend to shy away once their chips start getting a little low. Start throwing out big money every now and again and get a feel for who's a conservative player and who's not. If they start calling you on big gains, then they're either holding something genuine or they're trying to pull the same thing on you. The sheepish ones will always back out when the pot gets too high for their comfort level.

Don't be afraid to run with a high pair. Sure, its easy to beat, but there are a lot of times where people are just using a high card because their straight didn't work out.

That being said. DONT CHASE STRAIGHTS. If you've got 4 cards to a straight, and you only either need the high end or the low end to make it, sure... go for it. But if you've only got 3 cards to the straight or your cards aren't consecutive in your hand, you'll lose money. Its not often that the cards fall where they need to be. That being said, know your straight levels. 7 to a J, 9 to a Q, etc... so, if you're playing Texas Hold 'Em and you get dealt the bottom and top end of a straight possibility, its not necessarily a bad hand to bet against if the pot is remaining low.

Dont be afraid to fold. There's always next hand. If you're uneasy about what you're holding, wait.

Drink lots of beer and have fun.

Ha thanks for the actual advice, I was just trying to make conversation :p

I usually play a tight-aggressive which works pretty good. I do have a tendency to call some stupid hands though.. I used to play down the pub with a few old guys who have been doing it for years, came ~3rd a lot of the time, similar to you.

I was just glad I didn't turn into a mark lol

zeemumu

I'm not going to hype up Shadows of Mordor, because if I hype it up as something revolutionary I'm gonna get disappointed when the similarities to Assassin's Creed get too noticeable and it doesn't do anything mind-blowing. It'll probably be a good game though.

Go all in the first hand to show dominance.

So what is everyone's plans for tonight? And if you are drinking, watcha plan on drinking!

MutFox

Banned
It should be, it's raining now, but the weather changes hourly here...
If it does keep raining, I have plans for other indoor stuff... :p

I did a crazy amount of cleaning yesterday, as the GF hasn't really been to my place.
Her place is pretty damn clean...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom