• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

February Wrasslin' |OT| WrassleGAF. In 2016.

miserable

who wants a Reigns avatar?

capture33iko1q.png

KingBroly

Banned
A broken nose is a perfectly logical injury to attribute to someone who took the kind of beating Triple H handed out on Monday. It's logical storytelling. They've not lost control of anything.

A broken orbital bone or jaw would also work but those are much harder to fake on a weekly basis and wouldn't have the great visual of blood streaming down someone's face.

They have lost control. Reigns is going to be booed out of Texas at Wrestlemania. They want him to be cheered. They don't know how to book him, so they're giving him every single babyface v. Authority angle they've come up with until something sticks. It's simply not working. Why? Because people don't like Reigns. He's not likeable, and every time they try to get people to like him, he comes across more and more as a shithead. 'oh, he's checking on Dean, his buddy. You sure as shit didn't help him against Brock as he stepped on his face, dumbass.'

If he's off TV until Mania, it's so they won't boo the shit out of him for the next month in places that are mark heavy leading up to Mania.

Tom Nook

Wednesday night war

ROH
TV Title Match: Roderick Strong (c) vs. Jonathan Gresham
War Machine vs. Bob Evans and Tim Hughes
BJ Whitmer vs. Chase Brown
The Briscoes vs. ACH and Alex Shelley

NXT
American Alpha vs. Blake and Murphy
Apollo Crews vs. Chris Girard
Tommaso Ciampa vs. Bull Dempsey
Bayley and Carmella vs. Eva Marie and Nia Jax

Lucha Underground
PJ Black vs. Jack Evans
Johnny Mundo vs. Cage

Lucha Underground
Only 2 matches?
I guess a lot more backstage storylines:
The undercover cops search for Cueto, Rey Rey, and Ivelisse vs Catrina.

They have lost control. Reigns is going to be booed out of Texas at Wrestlemania. They want him to be cheered. They don't know how to book him, so they're giving him every single babyface v. Authority angle they've come up with until something sticks. It's simply not working. Why? Because people don't like Reigns. He's not likeable, and every time they try to get people to like him, he comes across more and more as a shithead. 'oh, he's checking on Dean, his buddy. You sure as shit didn't help him against Brock as he stepped on his face, dumbass.'

If he's off TV until Mania, it's so they won't boo the shit out of him for the next month in places that are mark heavy leading up to Mania.

Unless they pop in that music louder than as usual like they did at Fastlane.

kunonabi

Who the hell wants fucking THUNDER of all things on the Network?

Thunder? THUNDER?

Fucking THUNDER?

IT WAS SO BAD

Once they realized nobody was watching, Thunder turned into quality entertainment. The commentary was hilarious and you had stuff like the Natural Born Thrillers singing Christmas songs. Pure gold.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Once they realized nobody was watching, Thunder turned into quality entertainment. The commentary was hilarious and you had stuff like the Natural Born Thrillers singing Christmas songs. Pure gold.

Kind of like the Neverending NXT Season

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

They don't want him to be cheered anymore. It'll work out fine.

Ithil

A broken nose is a perfectly logical injury to attribute to someone who took the kind of beating Triple H handed out on Monday. It's logical storytelling. They've not lost control of anything.

A broken orbital bone or jaw would also work but those are much harder to fake on a weekly basis and wouldn't have the great visual of blood streaming down someone's face.

They've not lost control of anything, other than their intended ascending babyface about to main event the biggest WM of all time and be coronated (again) as face of the company, being wildly booed out of the building and having the top heel wildly cheered for "breaking his nose".

No this is definitely what they wanted all along.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hell of a photo.

Things change. WWE has shifted gears before, for the fans, with Daniel Bryan and gave people what they wanted. They're doing it again with Roman Reigns. Plans can change and have changed.

Ithil

Hell of a photo.

Things change. WWE has shifted gears before, for the fans, with Daniel Bryan and gave people what they wanted. They're doing it again with Roman Reigns. Plans can change and have changed.

You must admit it's a bit of a shitshow if they end up having to "change plans for the audience" for the same guy, two WM main events in a row. Are we going to be seeing this silliness at WM 33, too, or will they have taken a hint by then?

Ithil

Unless of course we've been missing the long con all along, and Reigns is really just a red herring; the real purpose is that when they finally do Reigns vs Cena, the entire crowd including adult males will universally be behind Cena.

Like HHH on RAW, Cena will finally be completely over with everyone.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You must admit it's a bit of a shitshow if they end up having to "change plans for the audience" for the same guy, two WM main events in a row. Are we going to be seeing this silliness at WM 33, too, or will they have taken a hint by then?

It means everything they've tried hasn't worked, for sure - thing is, I don't feel that necessarily anything is wrong with Roman himself. It's all the booking and writing that has caused him to fail to hit the landing every time.

At the same time, I won't complain when WWE course corrects. They did it with Bryan and it was a BIG MOMENT and pretty much everyone loved it.

It means everything they've tried hasn't worked, for sure - thing is, I don't feel that necessarily anything is wrong with Roman himself. It's all the booking and writing that has caused him to fail to hit the landing every time.

At the same time, I won't complain when WWE course corrects. They did it with Bryan and it was a BIG MOMENT and pretty much everyone loved it.

Yep, I agree with you. He has flaws and weak stuff, but the booking just puts those in front of the camera instead of making him look better.

When they allowed Roman to be the badass ass kicker in TLC and the RAW after, it was pretty good. Hell, it was even entertaining, which we didn't have in a while.

But it's like they don't want that kind of face. They want another boring one.

Bronx-Man

Banned

I think it's a mixture of Roman's too flawed, and WWE isn't doing anything to hide those flaws at all. At this point he should be the Goldberg of WWE, not Samoan John Cena.

Mahonay

Banned

I think it's a mixture of Roman's too flawed, and WWE isn't doing anything to hide those flaws at all. At this point he should be the Goldberg of WWE, not Samoan John Cena.
I'm with Sunny. This is not Roman's fault at all. He's doing exactly what they're asking of him. The blame rests on Vince's shoulders with how he's handled this.

I wouldn't say Roman is inherently flawed as a performer right now. I think he's super solid when he's able to just do his thing.

Yep Roman does not have the "IT" factor that guys like flair and austin had. And that's Ok!, not everyone can be those guys. It's up to the company to recognize that and book to his strengths.

Instead they threw him in the deep water and told him to bring the company to shore. Fans don't want another cena which is why the gravitated toward punk and bryan

Ithil

I'm with Sunny. This is not Roman's fault at all. He's doing exactly what they're asking of him. The blame rests on Vince's shoulders with how he's handled this.

I wouldn't say Roman is inherently flawed as a performer right now. I think he's super solid when he's able to just do his thing.

I think "can't talk for shit" is a problem for the intended top guy when they're so obsessed with overly long promos to fill time on RAW.

Mahonay

Banned
Yep Roman does not have the "IT" factor that guys like flair and austin had. And that's Ok!, not everyone can be those guys. It's up to the company to recognize that and book to his strengths.

Instead they threw him in the deep water and told him to bring the company to shore. Fans don't want another cena which is why the gravitated toward punk and bryan
Vince sees another Cena in Roman and expects him to be able to make gold out of dripping shit like Cena has done for the past 2 years. Which he somehow hasn't realized yet is failing miserably with Roman.

Sephzilla

I agree with you on this. Roman has weaknesses but WWE is stubbornly trying to mold Roman into their ideal hero character instead of playing into Roman's strengths, and it's hurting Roman in the process because it's exposing his weaknesses. What would really help Roman Reigns is a heel turn where he can get a heel mouthpiece to speak on his behalf, while he focuses on ass kicking. Roman going corporate or turning into a Paul Heyman guy would be perfect.

Mahonay

Banned
I think "can't talk for shit" is a problem for the intended top guy when they're so obsessed with overly long promos to fill time on RAW.
You keep his promos short and less scripted. There were plenty of guys back in the day that were big draws but were carefully handled when it came to having to speak. Vince has this crazy belief that Roman can do elaborate promos since he's related to the Rock or something.

EDIT: And if Vince's idea of the face of the company is a guy who can cut long captivating promos, then he's chosen the wrong person.

Vince sees another Cena in Roman and expects him to be able to make gold out of dripping shit like Cena has done for the past 2 years. Which he somehow hasn't realized yet is failing miserably with Roman.

I don't blame Roman too much it's hard to turn down the main event spot(even if you are not ready for it).

But someone has to realize it's not working.

Ithil

You keep his promos short and less scripted. There were plenty of guys back in the day that were big draws but were carefully handled when it came to having to speak. Vince has this crazy belief that Roman can do elaborate promos since he's related to the Rock or something.

They're not going to do that. Look at Seth, having to talk for 15-20 minutes every week even though it's not his strong suit. And he's better than Reigns is at talking.
Frankly no one should talk for so long, but they've got 3 hours to fill.

Mahonay

Banned
I don't blame Roman too much it's hard to turn down the main event spot(even if you are not ready for it).

But someone has to realize it's not working.
I think everyone but Vince sees it's not working.

Vince sees the backlash and then comes up with some new way that he's sure will get people to cheer roman as a baby face. But he just makes the situation worse most times. Vince thinks the audience just isn't getting it, when it's really the other way around.

They're not going to do that. Look at Seth, having to talk for 15-20 minutes every week even though it's not his strong suit. And he's better than Reigns is at talking.
Frankly no one should talk for so long, but they've got 3 hours to fill.
If that's what they want out of their top guy then they have to abandon their all-in play with Roman.

Sephzilla

There are some things that Roman himself could do to better himself, but it's primarily in-ring stuff. He's fallen into the same Cena trap where in the last 30 seconds of the match he'll suddenly no sell beatdowns and hit a finisher for the win. A lot of his other problems are things that can be masked by better creative.

Mahonay

Banned
No one could do a 15-20 minute promo every week with no plot development and be entertaining.
This is true also. I absolutely hated Cena for the that lengthy period of time when this task was his responsibility. But once he was no longer in charge of opening RAW with 20 minute promos, most people like myself started to like him way more. When he did cut promos, they were not as long and felt far more natural. In this past year and a half I've suddenly learned that Cena is actually amazing on the mic.

And we all saw what happened to Rollins when they saddled him with those exceedingly long promos at the start of RAW.

The 3 hour format, and how WWE tries to fill that time, is sending out their performers to drown and it absolutely needs to be fixed.

Top Bottom