• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI | Review Thread

What scores do you think Final Fantasy XVI will get?

• 0 -10%

Votes: 6 1.2%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20-30%

• 30-40%

• 40-50%

• 50-60%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 20 3.9%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 188 36.7%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 47.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 49 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr. Claus

Banned
Do people these days, especially the guardian author, really not know that white people where subject to some of the worst salvery in history as well? (Pretty much every ethincy in history was at some point).

No. Racism only existed to black people. White people were never enslaved, they hold all the power, and are truly the scum of the universe. Every bad thing that has ever happened is because of white people.

I wish I was exaggerating, but that is literally what these mental malcontents think. Absolutely psychotic and devoid of reality. This is what happens when you get awful ideologically driven teachers/professors who care not for actually educating people and care more for indoctrinating them into their cult.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Lindsay Lohan Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Dont forget that they are all hetero.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The best part is who wrote the guardian review

iqDAvk9.jpg

Now where have I heard that name before...

23jgvPi.jpg

Oh what's that, two Eurogamer reviews for the price of one... ding ding ding!

Her Horizon FW review was hilarious. I remember looking up her work and find this app blog thing, where she was writing what was basically a diary and was full of red flags about how mentally shaky she was. She deleted all of it a day after.

justonething

Jada's BFF
OK giving you attention was a bad idea. Now you wanna spread your miserableness as much as possible. Have a good day :)
It's crazy how toxic your responses are, you return to insults when someone tries to understand why you think it's justified to insult them. Top it off with the passive aggressive emoji.

Boneless

Yeah, kinda. At this point at least. As a black man that's 100% about diversity and all DEI programs because they 100% matter and are great for society.........................................when I see reviews like that, all I think of is..............

not like this GIF

Creators should have and need to have creative choices. Especially if it's content is dealing in fantasy and isn't historical at all.
arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

XesqueVara

I think FFIX remake will break the 90 mark for Square Enix after a long time, only if they do some changes who mess the game structure they will get lower than that.

Macaron

Banned
It's crazy how toxic your responses are, you return to insults when someone tries to understand why you think it's justified to insult them. Top it off with the passive aggressive emoji.
The guy who came in the thread to say "ive decided based off videos this game is awful" talking about toxicity. OK time to block you now cause no doubt someone like yourself loves this type of attention to let out their misery :)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Do people these days, especially the guardian author, really not know that white people where subject to some of the worst salvery in history as well?

And this is why that article is so awful.

- Stop repeating the same talking points over and over and doing copy and paste for all your reviews.
- It's a fantasy game, it's NOT real! There's no brownie points to be had here.
- We trying to have fun and you are throwing in historical human crimes into your review? Why? About a FF game? Really?
- Why is it that "allies" on the left can't seem to understand that they shouldn't always want to mix the lack of POC and slavery into talking points all the time.

GrayChild

And the Ottoman Empire where the word slave literally comes from. (Slavic)

Yup. Us Bulgarians spent almost 5 centuries under Ottoman/Turkish slavery, where we saw some of the biggest atrocities even committed by a man. A great read, written from a Western perspective and a man who was actually there:

There are literally stories about Bashibozouks (part of the Ottoman army), gang-raping and mutilating 12 year old girls (couldn't find English translation but whatever):

How about the 'Blood tax', which is... well, one of the most fucked up things ever:

And still, even after surviving all of this for almost 500 fucking years, I guarantee that none of us are constantly whining about 'muh representation' and 'making a powerful statement about slavery and oppression' about every little thing that has anything to do with the subject.

The Western journos and woketards have truly lost their god damn mind. So if any Eurogamer/Kotaku/Polygon/RetardEra cunt is reading this - fuck you, fuck everything you believe in, and fuck your whole worthless leftist agenda!

Last edited:

Fess

Remember when we had amazing games that were universally liked and well reviewed without reviews bombs, reviews pointing out lgbt stuff and racist crap?
Look at gta 4 review when it came out. The same game would be bombed today.
2000s were great. We were more united as gamers
Review bombing has always existed, some critics loves to thrash a game.
But review bombing was more fun back in the 80s:

pRXNQWH.jpg

”Flying Shark is a twitchy, charming shoot'em-up game for the Amiga.

The game makes me long for my declaration form.

The only redeeming feature of this game is that the disk appears to be reusable.

The program is made on a ST. Could it get worse?”
😂

The airplane game is so boring that you might as well reformat the diskette.
🤣

Dr. Claus

Banned
Honestly, if they wanted to get a surefire 90+ on Metacritic, they should have made their combat more souls-like, included a bloated open world, scrapped most of game's cutscenes and dumped their lore into item descriptions.

8Pv3beh.gif

Nah. Eurogamer and the like woudl still ride that ideological missile into the shitter. Even if Square *did* have black characters, they would find reasons to shit on their portrayal. They had a bone to pick with Square Enix/Japanese games and nothing was going to stop them.

- Stop repeating the same talking points over and over and doing copy and paste for all your reviews.
- We trying to have fun and you are throwing in historical human crimes into your review? Why? About a FF game? Really?
- Why is it that "allies" on the left can't seem to understand that they shouldn't always want to mix the lack of POC and slavery into talking points all the time.

Normally I disagree with you heavily on most things, but for once I can fully agree. There is a time and place to discuss diversity and historical precedent. A Final Fantasy game is *not* the place.

killatopak

Gold Member
Yup. Us Bulgarians spent almost 5 centuries under Ottoman/Turkish slavery, where we saw some of the biggest atrocities even committed by a man. A great read, written from a Western perspective and a man who was actually there:

There are literally stories about Bashibozouks (part of the Ottoman army), gang-raping and mutilating 12 year old girls (couldn't find English translation but whatever):

How about the 'Blood tax', which is... well, one of the most fucked up things ever:

And still, even after surviving all of this for almost 500 fucking years, I guarantee that none of us are constantly whining about 'muh representation' and 'making a powerful statement about slavery and oppression' about every little thing that has anything to do with the subject.

The Western journos and woketards have truly lost their god damn mind. So if any Eurogamer/Kotaku/Polygon/RetardEra cunt is reading this - fuck you, fuck everything you believe in, and fuck your whole worthless leftist agenda!
They don't even know where the word slaves originates from and what race it was imposed on.

justonething

Jada's BFF
The guy who came in the thread to say "ive decided based off videos this game is awful" talking about toxicity. OK time to block you now cause no doubt someone like yourself loves this type of attention to let out their misery :)
Not sure what you want me to base my opinions on about a game that isn't out other than reviews...in a thread discussing reviews....not sure how that's toxic, but anything to distract from how you enjoy insulting people for their opinions.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I'm not sure how things went in Bulgaria, but here in America the slave owners and people that were pro-slavery literally became and the leading politicians, police officers, teachers, judges, etc. Juneteenth just because a national holiday in America a couple of years ago. It was celebrated 2 days ago in America. Even after slavery ended, blacks still weren't truly free for another 100 years (1964). Surely you don't think everything in America was fixed starting in 1965.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So from what I’m reading, it’s a 90+ game that got docked a few points by the alphabet club because it didn’t hit muh diversity quota. Gotcha.

Can’t wait to play.

Yep and honestly high 80s is not a bad place for an action game to be.

669-B980-D-A451-4-A02-9-DFC-9-C1-AF218-A050.jpg

Devil May Cry 5 is at 88 too.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
So from what I’m reading, it’s a 90+ game that got docked a few points by the alphabet club because it didn’t hit muh diversity quota. Gotcha.

Can’t wait to play.
This should be on the back of the box with the usual Gamespot, IGN and some random site that never quite makes sense to be with the big boys.

Now the next interesting point, the OC and MC disparity....I got my towel in OC's corner, just cause it's a nicer vibe there.

Hypereides

Gold Member
kinda weird to me people are knocking it for being white when it’s a Japanese game?
Not at all, that's clearly a severe violation of cultural misappropriation in this game. Japanese developers should ONLY develop games and characters with asian... whoops, errh, I meant Japanese features.

Freeman76

Watched ACGs review and still feel the same about waiting for a sale. My main reasons for playing FF games is the rpg elements and exploration, and this seems to be mainly a linear action game. Definitely looks enjoyable and polished, but not what I was hoping it would be.

On a more positive note, the music you hear before starting the game on PS5 while hovering over the icon was composed by Soken and Uematsu. He also helped with other songs. They didn't even speak on this at all during marketing. Information can be found in the music viewer where they show the composers' names next to the songs.

Watched ACGs review and still feel the same about waiting for a sale. My main reasons for playing FF games is the rpg elements and exploration, and this seems to be mainly a linear action game. Definitely looks enjoyable and polished, but not what I was hoping it would be.
Same boat for me. I didn't really like the style of this one when it was revealed so I'm more inclined to wait now.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling

The last point is especially odd and constantly changing. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen feedback or reviews about some kind of genre fiction including this stuff where the reviewer disdains the fact that they have to go through the "trauma" of experiencing some kind of allegory. I also can't tell you the number of times I've seen complaints about pieces of fiction "not having teeth" or some shit because it has non-whites and doesn't address discourse on the topic of race, Forspoken being a very close and recent example.

Quick question if anyone knows, why is there a difference between the Metacritic and Opencritic scores? I looked and the same shit Eurogamer and other bad reviews are there as well but it's at a 91 on Opencritic.

Sleepwalker

From The Guardian

"And it’s sad that in the pursuit of “realistic” fantasy, the FF team has erased people of colour from their own history of slavery – they are absent from the game. Worse, there is a desert region, complete with some stereotypical oriental music, occupied by lightly tanned characters with clearly western features. It feels as if the amount of care taken with other aspects of the game wasn’t extended to people of colour, and that stings."

I am glad that The Guardian is now the authority on what brown people can and cannot look like.
I wonder what this review would be like if all slaves were black. Probably something along the lines of "its awful that theyve gone with the stereotypical black man slave in 2023 bla bla"

You cant win.

ssringo

Quick question if anyone knows, why is there a difference between the Metacritic and Opencritic scores? I looked and the same shit Eurogamer and other bad reviews are there as well but it's at a 91 on Opencritic.
As I understand it, Metacritic weighs certain scores more than others and Opencritic does not. I don't think it's ever been divulged exactly how Metacritic weighs scores.

Lokaum D+

by the logic of some ppl here if the game dosnt have turn based combat is no a JRPG. ( 12 and 15 arent JRPGs )

cant wait to play it, 20 years waiting for a decent FF game and its finaly here.

haters gonna hate

InfantileLavishBanteng-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Kvally

As of right now:

Metacritic is based on 63 reviews for an average
Opencritic is based on 100 reviews for an average

Opencritic will eventually include PC in that average. Metacritic will separate the PC from the average.

I can't tell is sarcastic or not.....if actual serious post, are you telling me you wont play game unless 90+ score?
that-is-so-stupid-mad.gif
No. This user is saying the game isn't an instant buy for them. It's a good score but it might not be omgwtfbbq good enough for them to drop the cash day one. And that's OK. They might play it later on, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Top Bottom