• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Pretty cool look, though. Hope this is the first step to unique liveries on both cars like BAR wanted to do initially.

xrnzaaas

The numbers on the shark fin look fugly and they're still too small. Is it Merc's idea to add the flag or is it also mandatory?

Mastah

C_eXnP8XsAA2oq5.jpg:large

RB14 CONFIRMED!!!1

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I wonder if the RB14's improvement of 1.5 seconds per lap will be enough to rival Peter P's unshackled rocket ship.

That rumour of moving to a whole new chassis from RB13 to 14 and the alleged 1.5-2 sec advantage made for some truly Honda Peter P waxwork lemme tell ya

And so the talking and silly season begins.

Former F1 team boss turned TV pundit Eddie Jordan, who got it right when he told the world that Michael Schumacher would return to Formula 1 after his first retirement and would do so with Mercedes, recently stated that he believes Vettel is in talks with Mercedes.

He told Sport Bild: ”Of course they're talking with Vettel. They need to be. Formula 1 is a brutal business. It's not just about strengthening yourself, but weakening your opponent."

But rather than quash the rumours, Mercedes non-executive chairman Niki Lauda has thrown fuel on the fire.
He told Auto Bild:
”He's the best at the moment. He is a straight-lined guy without talking a lot. He knows what he wants, he knows the points where he has to find something within himself to get the maximum performance. Just an incredible guy."

Vettel, though, is keeping quiet about his future.
”I'm here at the moment with Ferrari," he said. ”That's what it's all about."

http://www.planetf1.com/news/lauda-stokes-the-vettel-to-mercedes-fire/

I've said it before and can only repeat it, but I'm certain this is Vettel's last season at Ferrari, if he doesn't win the championship or at least gets very close doing so. As much as he likes to emulate Schumacher, winning and breaking records seems more important to him and Ferrari can't give him that.

Aiii

So not worth it
Hamilton will be gone soon anyways, he's already got his 3 WDC's, he's about to get beaten by Bottas, so I reckon he will retire either this year or next and go live the American Dream
of doing nothing and recording music that will never see the light of day
. Maybe do that Nascar race he's been wanting.

Lach

As much as Hamilton shot against Alonso for doing the Indy 500, I think it's stuck in the back of his mind now. I can see him wanting to do a sabbatical year where he does the shit he has fun with (NASCAR etc.).

Vettel feels well enough at Ferrari and he finally has a race winning car so I don't think Mercedes can snatch him up.

Xando

Lauda about Vettel:

Uhmm he was complaining/talking more than racing last season.

I doubt he complains more than others. It's just that his radio was on all season and the car was shit.

Same thing happened to lewis in russia where he was constantly complaining because the car was shit.

Fox Mulder

Vettel is in a contract year. It would be stupid to not look at other options, if only to just improve his next deal. it's his only other competitive option anyways.

No one thought Ferrari would be this good this year, as they were a bit lost last year and still have plenty of time to fuck themselves out of the championship.

Zaru

Not expecting next year, but one of these days I wouldn't be surprised to see Vettel and Max at Mercedes if they remain competitive.

DBT85

Eject?

Does Hamilton look like a guy to you that's in this for another decade?

Does Vettel? You reckon he'll be here till he's 39?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hamilton do another 5 years and provided he's still fast enough, which hardly looks like disappearing, he'll be at a top team. He's still contracted till the end of next season while Vettel, Alonso and Bottas cunningly only have 1 year left.

Merc would do something that's not been done in years and have 2 of the best drivers on the grid in the same car. Would be even cooler if Ham wins this year and its Him v Vettel, both start the new season together on 4 WDC in Hamiltons last (currently) contracted year at the team as a decider.

There is a reason Mercedes only gave Bottas a 1 year deal and it wasn't only because they wanted to be sure he could do the job.

Fox Mulder

Does Vettel? You reckon he'll be here till he's 39?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hamilton do another 5 years and provided he's still fast enough, which hardly looks like disappearing, he'll be at a top team. He's still contracted till the end of next season while Vettel, Alonso and Bottas cunningly only have 1 year left.

Merc would do something that's not been done in years and have 2 of the best drivers on the grid in the same car. Would be even cooler if Ham wins this year and its Him v Vettel, both start the new season together on 4 WDC in Hamiltons last (currently) contracted year at the team as a decider.

There is a reason Mercedes only gave Bottas a 1 year deal and it wasn't only because they wanted to be sure he could do the job.

Mercedes would be paying like $100 million combined for the top two drivers.

Zaru

Paying like $100 million combined for the top two drivers is kind of dumb though.

Red Bull is doing the "smart" thing here, paying Max and Riccy a relative pittance saves them tens of millions compared to what Mercedes and Ferrari are forking up (or McLaren, for that matter), while hardly losing driver pace.

Aiii

So not worth it
Red Bull is doing the "smart" thing here, paying Max and Riccy a relative pittance saves them tens of millions compared to what Mercedes and Ferrari are forking up (or McLaren, for that matter), while hardly losing driver pace.

That's only because they run a young driver programme, which includes running a second F1 team (with a 100m budget), that allows them to quickly replace drivers when they leave with talented new stars.

I love that they do that, but I doubt it's any more cost efficient than just paying the best drivers their tens of millions.

nitronite

And so the talking and silly season begins.

Former F1 team boss turned TV pundit Eddie Jordan, who got it right when he told the world that Michael Schumacher would return to Formula 1 after his first retirement and would do so with Mercedes, recently stated that he believes Vettel is in talks with Mercedes.

He told Sport Bild: “Of course they’re talking with Vettel. They need to be. Formula 1 is a brutal business. It’s not just about strengthening yourself, but weakening your opponent.”

But rather than quash the rumours, Mercedes non-executive chairman Niki Lauda has thrown fuel on the fire.
He told Auto Bild:
“He’s the best at the moment. He is a straight-lined guy without talking a lot. He knows what he wants, he knows the points where he has to find something within himself to get the maximum performance. Just an incredible guy.”

Vettel, though, is keeping quiet about his future.
“I’m here at the moment with Ferrari,” he said. “That’s what it’s all about.”

http://www.planetf1.com/news/lauda-stokes-the-vettel-to-mercedes-fire/

I've said it before and can only repeat it, but I'm certain this is Vettel's last season at Ferrari, if he doesn't win the championship or at least gets very close doing so. As much as he likes to emulate Schumacher, winning and breaking records seems more important to him and Ferrari can't give him that.

Honestly, I think Jordan`s biggest recent prediction was Hamilton`s move to Mercedes. I remember people at the time going: "No way. Mercedes is terrible compared to Mclaren".

It's kind of both funny and sad thinking about that now...

Zeknurn

Analysis: Could Brawn's open inspection idea help end two-tier F1?

Speaking recently about changing directions for F1, Brawn brought up an idea that he was told about from NASCAR – a clever way that teams can understand what their rivals are up to, so that competitive advantages are not kept secret for long.

“I think that there’s a change of mindset as well within Formula 1 because there are opportunities that we shouldn’t be missing,” Brawn told Motorsport.com.

“You know, in NASCAR, as someone told me the other day, at a certain stage of the season you can go and look at someone else’s car and strip it apart and see what’s in it.

“And that’s their way of keeping everyone loosely competitive. And no one objects, no one has a problem. And it’s a philosophy that should be thought about.”

Lets do it.

PU standings ahead of Spain.

C_i0xPVXoAAaf0g.jpg

Mercedes is looking pretty solid. I wonder if they sacrificed some of their raw power for higher reliability, considering that only 4 PUs are allowed this season (which is silly to begin with).

DBT85

Totally fine with Brawns inspection suggestion.

PU standings ahead of Spain.

C_i0xPVXoAAaf0g.jpg

Mercedes is looking pretty solid. I wonder if they sacrificed some of their raw power for higher reliability, considering that only 4 PUs are allowed this season (which is silly to begin with).

Not even just more reliability because of having less engines, the engines are now subject to higher G so needed to be reinforced for that also.

Zaru

Forget just the nosejob, the whole car has been significantly changed.
Really gonna be interesting to see a potentially changed pecking order this weekend.

Vettel is asked: Who would you like to be fighting in the last corner?
Alonso: “Pick me. You could overtake on the straight.”

Gotta love Alonso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom