• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl1992

Could someone quote the exact rules for staying still before the lights go off, because this seems like another possible flop from the stewards.
giphy.gif

https://youtu.be/tken_aR8bD8

Read this post from Nekkid;

Ok, I'll correct myself from the previous page. It's measured based on relative forward motion, says Brundle after having spoken with the stewards, rather than position in the box.

That gif from last page was misleading, though.

Basically, if the Stewards feel the amount of movement going forward in general was negligible enough, it's not considered a Jump start.

Could someone quote the exact rules for staying still before the lights go off, because this seems like another possible flop from the stewards.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bottas-start-penalty-austria-fia-928763/

However, that did not stop there being some confusion about why they had reached that conclusion, with television footage widely circulated on social media indicating that Bottas' front wheels were moving while the lights were on.

The FIA has explained, however, that some movement before the lights go out is allowed because of the need occasionally for drivers to make adjustments to their clutch in those crucial moments before the start.

Such a system has been in place for 20 years and has been accepted by all competitors.

The FIA deliberately does not disclose what tolerance is allowed before it takes action, for fear that if teams were aware of what was allowed they would start exploiting this to boost their getaways.

An FIA spokesman said that any movement observed on Bottas' car between the five lights being on and them going out was within this allowed limit – which is why the Finn was not deemed to have done anything wrong.

"In today's instance, Valtteri Bottas did not exceed this (very small) limit before the start was given," said the spokesman.

"Simply put: he made an exceptionally accurate and fortuitous judgement call, anticipating the moment the lights went out with great precision.

"Any movement prior to the moment the lights went out was within the tolerances allowed."

McNum

So it really was a one in a million start. A few miliseconds earlier and it'd have been a jump start, but it turned out, by luck or Jedi reflexes, to be at exactly the right time?

Spades

This is misleading using an indirect feed. It might even be off-cam. They did the same using the raw FOM feed on SSF1 and the movement occurred at the same frame.

I'd buy this more if his rev counter wasn't completely different from one to the other - indicating that his clutch has been disengaged, right?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'd buy this more if his rev counter wasn't completely different from one to the other - indicating that his clutch has been disengaged, right?

I don't know what to tell you. But that is not what the direct feed analysis showed.

It could be what is posted above, that this wasn't the moment he started moving off the line, but a point at which he was tweaking the clutch.

Zaru

I know every year is "Kimi will finally retire" year, but before this weekend and now moreso I was sure that he'll either announce his retirement at Monza or drive until 2020 for some reason.

Business

Seb probably should have thanked Kimi for sacrificing his race.

Hopefully he acknowledges that in one of the subsequent interviews.

It's sad to see Kimi being used to slow down other cars but the truth is he would have finished in the same position with a more conventional strategy. Hamilton would have undercut or overcut him anyway. Go home and be a family man.

So it really was a one in a million start. A few miliseconds earlier and it'd have been a jump start, but it turned out, by luck or Jedi reflexes, to be at exactly the right time?

It was luck that it was just over 0.2 seconds, but rules are rules. Ferrari need to move on.

McNum

It was luck that it was just over 0.2 seconds, but rules are rules. Ferrari need to move on.
Yeah. On both counts. But luck has a place in racing, be it good luck or bad luck. Today Bottas had incredibly good luck with his start. He won't be able to do that again on purpose.

And Ferrari... probably shouldn't speak the loudest about the rules after last race. Keep your horsey head down for a race or two, don't draw attention to Vettel.

sam777

Not sure why Ferrari or others are complaining about the start. In the end of the day it was the most perfect start that could be achieved, whether it was by luck or not does not matter as he did not jump the start.

Pryce

What a horrible race. I remember nothing outside of turn one and Hamilton complaining about his rear tires every five laps.

Shaneus

So is Kvyat finally fucked for next year. Demoted for similarly hitting Vettel last year and took out Verstappen today.
Not arguing on the incident but they said the clutch on VER's RBR would've gone anywa

Disclaimer: I haven't seen the incident, but heard a Horner interview during the race.

Edit: Just saw it and yeah, KVY should be gone this season I'd think. Too unpredictable.

You know it's been an awful race when the last 15 or so laps are spent exclusively watching a pair of cars threatening to overtake each other.

They better not fuck up with the aero rules next year.

sTiTcH AU

But the threat of an overtake can be just as exciting as the overtake itself. Just look at RIC and Hamilton on the last few laps, quite literally the perfect defence from RIC meant he was able to hold position from an attacking Hamilton and it was fantastic to watch.

If overtaking was super easy, it wouldnt be as exciting IMO. Some tracks have been shit for overtaking and yeah the aero rules this year make it harder to follow but we have still had some great races and overtaking this year.

hamchan

Time to reuse the same thread title concept for F1 2016 the game for F1 2017 i guess:

"A longer career mode than Daniil Kvyat's"

What a horrible race. I remember nothing outside of turn one and Hamilton complaining about his rear tires every five laps.

Hamilton has a knack for drama, in my granted limited experience in sports psychology he does that so anything he does out there is perceived as more epic. This is the same strategy long applied by Ben Roethlisberger who every other play pretends to be dying in pain only to come back brand new so people would talk about how tough he is.

Mohonky

Kind of meh race.

Great drive by Bottas, Ricciardo did well to hang on to 3rd.

Hamilton having one of his bipolar races where he is kind of nowhere, pity about the gearbox penalty.

Kimi did his Ferrari job of being a moving obstacle.

+Aliken+

Putting all the tolerance thing assigned there is one consideration that bugs me. The length of time that all the lights are on and they go then off is never the same (at least that should be the case) and the idea behind this is that you cannot train yourself to count those "seconds" in your heads so that you start when you think the time is up and not when you see the lights going off.

It is clear that he started before he saw the lights go off. That for me feels like a jump start...

Regarding this tolerance is their a reason why it exists? I am just wondering as there could be a valid reason.

dl77

Regarding this tolerance is their a reason why it exists? I am just wondering as there could be a valid reason.

As mentioned above they allow it because of changes drivers might need to make to their clutch. Although there may be a tiny bit of movement it's not necessarily anything to do with the throttle.

Danielsan

I did laugh when they played his radio after the finish. I've never known someone to be so happy with a 3rd place!
Well to be fair. When your car should only be good enough for 5th and your team mate's car keeps breaking every race and you've managed to keep Hamilton at bay in the final rounds, you sure as shit can be happy with a podium finish.

dl77

Well to be fair. When your car should only be good enough for 5th and your team mate's car keeps breaking every race and you've managed to keep Hamilton at bay in the final rounds, you sure as shit can be happy with a podium finish.

Oh yeah, it's not a knock as it was a great result, more just laughing at all the growling sounds.

itsgreen

Was at the Red Bull grand stand (Max Verstappen orange thing).

What an awesome track!

The Red Bull grand stand is great, you can basically see the entire track. You can only not see the two DRS straights and the penultimate corner.

Also facilities were great. Makes my go-to GP, Spa, look like dirt.

Kind of meh race.

Great drive by Bottas, Ricciardo did well to hang on to 3rd.

Hamilton having one of his bipolar races where he is kind of nowhere, pity about the gearbox penalty.

Kimi did his Ferrari job of being a moving obstacle.
Both Vettel and Hamilton very careful making sure to finish the race. Made it pretty lame except for maybe the last two or three laps.

ramparter

Banned
So he kind of jump started since he didn't wait for the lights to go off but he was in the end within the rules. I'm ok with this. Dont believe it would have really changed the outcome and no I also don't think Vettel would have passed him if he had one more lap.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Pretty much. Is it Alonso, or someone else who is excellent at this and has been for years. But if it's not right up front, it usually does not get press.

Honda have got McLaren by the short and curlies

hqdefault.jpg

The Bahrainis won't cough up the hefty settlement pay off and Honda management say they won't be initiating a break in relations.

The Beast is coming later this season, and as a bonus I won't have to follow the scrubs at Sauber next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom