• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motoko

Today, on Gazzetta dello Sport, the main sport magazine in Italy, there is a news on McLaren in which they speculate about a possible agreement with Ferrari for engine supply next year.

I never laughed so hard.

Aiii

So not worth it
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...announces-f1-live-in-the-heart-of-london.html

Formula 1 today announced F1 Live London, a spectacular show in the heart of the British capital on July 12, featuring Formula 1 teams, drivers and cars, alongside a host of stars and headline music acts.

Formula 1 is hosting the event to celebrate a new era, focused on bringing fans closer to the world's most exhilarating sport. The live stage show in Trafalgar Square and car parade on Whitehall will also mark the first time in Formula 1 history that all 10 teams have come together outside of a race weekend to put on a show for the public.

The event will be formed of two parts – an F1 Schools and Innovation Showcase from 12pm to 4pm and the F1 Live London Show and Parade from 5.30pm to 9pm. F1 fans who are unable to attend the event can watch the action live from 6pm BST on www.f1.com/F1live, www.youtube.com/formula1 and on the Sky Sports F1 channel.

This is great and all. But how does this anything for the real Formula 1 audience?

These young people and the ones with lower income will see the Rolex brand, but are they going to go and buy one? They can't afford it. And the other sponsor, UBS — these kids don't care about banking. They haven't got enough money to put in the banks anyway. They should rather get to the 70-year-old guy who's got plenty of cash. So, there's no point trying to reach these kids because they won't buy any of the products here and if marketers are aiming at this audience, then maybe they should advertise with Disney.

Fan events, pah.

Aiii

So not worth it
This is great and all. But how does this anything for the real Formula 1 audience?

These young people and the ones with lower income will see the Rolex brand, but are they going to go and buy one? They can't afford it. And the other sponsor, UBS — these kids don't care about banking. They haven't got enough money to put in the banks anyway. They should rather get to the 70-year-old guy who's got plenty of cash. So, there's no point trying to reach these kids because they won't buy any of the products here and if marketers are aiming at this audience, then maybe they should advertise with Disney.

Fan events, pah.

Bernie was such an idiot. It is exactly this kind of stuff that grows and expands your audience. It also humanizes your sport by making the drivers and teams more relatable by allowing them to show some personality. This quote shows exactly where the priorities were. All Bernie wanted was to gather as much money he could as quickly as he could find it, money for himself, money for CVC, money for the sponsors. All Liberty wants is to increase the audience so the sport grows and with it the money they can make from it in the long term.

Bernie was a great businessman, but I wish he cared more about the sport itself in the last decade of his run.

I can watch Wimbledon with the Rolex brand and can imagine a not-too-faraway universe where I pick up a tennis racket after it. I can watch soccer and not care about Barclay's.

The key point: it's super easy to watch that stuff, regardless of #brands.

Zeknurn

BMW has confirmed their Season 5 Formula E entry.

Just waiting for Porsche and Merc now.

Today, on Gazzetta dello Sport, the main sport magazine in Italy, there is a news on McLaren in which they speculate about a possible agreement with Ferrari for engine supply next year.

I never laughed so hard.

This rumour has been going around for a while, the idea is that Marchionne would see it as a big get if McLaren were to run Alfa Romeo badged Ferrari power units.

But unless the deal with Mercedes falls through it's not going to happen.

Aiii

So not worth it
Formula E is dead to me.

I don't want to follow a sport that has a race every month or so, with shit tracks and slow cars, and one driver dominating (and even he prefers to drive another class over F-E, so what does that tell you about the validity of the sport).

I find very little redeeming qualities in Formula E.

Donos

If you assume everyone's as incompetent as the BRDC, sure.

Berne is gone now but in the recent years, classic tracks struggled to pay the demanded (rising) price while other new tracks got heavy aid of the governments who want more attention (arab countries, Asia).

Formula E is dead to me.

I don't want to follow a sport that has a race every month or so, with shit tracks and slow cars, and one driver dominating (and even he prefers to drive another class over F-E, so what does that tell you about the validity of the sport).

I find very little redeeming qualities in Formula E.

I really want to like Formula E and followed the first season closely, but the irregular schedules and races on Saturdays put a stop to it. I'm still excited for the sport in general and can't wait for it to evolve further and see the new chassis in action. I find the Roborace really interesting, too. But they need to nail down a proper schedule with races that are more than once a month on average. 9 races stretched throughout one year is terrible.

They announced the 2017/2018 season with 11 races. That makes the calendar at least a bit more bearable, with some races being only two weeks apart. I hope the grid is going to be more competitive by then as well.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I guess I am in the minority. I thought the race was awesome and had drama start to finish.

1) Someone put both Toro Rosso drivers out to pasture. They are both incidents waiting to happen, took out our boys Max and Ferny.

2) Speaking of Alonso, how on earth was there no investigation on whether he jumped the start or not? He jumped 3 spots before turn 1 lol.

3) Hamilton is such a cry baby. Austria is supposed to be a more abrasive track than the last couple of races, I felt like he was complaining about tires the whole race, meanwhile he was mashing the lap times. Huge difference from Botha's and even Vettel who yes complains but at least doesn't let his performance suffer while doing so.

4) Bottas is ice cold. He is a perfect second driver for MB behind Hamilton. Sign him up!

5) Danny showed in his race IMO that he isn't just lucky when he hits podiums, granted he started ahead of Ham and didn't have to deal with Max. Great job keeping pace as well as defending his position while under attack.

6) Awesome work by RoGro and the Williams duo. The Williams duo in particular had a great race.

7) Quiet day for the FI team tho. They didn't even threaten. Screw Perez tho.

8) I thought the strategy to hold up the pack with Kimi was pretty sound but dropping off the map after that pit stop was not good. You'd have to think they'd want whoever is in that seat to push on the newer tires and threaten for 4th at least.

Fun times, bring on Silverstone! Hopefully MB can hit another 1/2 and really clamp down on the Constructors and putting more pressure on Vet.

Damn, way too short notice or I'd have considered going to London to see that.
Same. Would have been awesome.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
For a lot of drivers the F-E series is 2nd choice due to being a brand new series, and the organizers had to work around other series' schedules. As it grows and gains more importance, I expect the calendar to be more compact, forcing drivers to choose.

Not worried about car performance and calendar issues in the long run. They do have to pick way better tracks though. Mexico works; Battersea Park doesn't; etc.

3) Hamilton is such a cry baby. Austria is supposed to be a more abrasive track than the last couple of races, I felt like he was complaining about tires the whole race, meanwhile he was mashing the lap times. Huge difference from Botha's and even Vettel who yes complains but at least doesn't let his performance suffer while doing so.

You often hear people complain about drivers complaining (Button's balance, Grosjean's brakes, Alonso's engine, etc), but to be honest, I think pretty much every driver complains about something not working well. They just choose someone's radio to broadcast at a certain time and leave others out. Hamilton complaining about tires is generally speaking a bit more interesting than whatever issues the Sauber drivers are having for instance.

For a lot of drivers the F-E series is 2nd choice due to being a brand new series, and the organizers had to work around other series' schedules. As it grows and gains more importance, I expect the calendar to be more compact, forcing drivers to choose.

Not worried about car performance and calendar issues in the long run. They do have to pick way better tracks though. Mexico works; Battersea Park doesn't; etc.

I do think that a lot of issues are growing pains and the series will get over it, as it gets more attractive over the years, with more manufacturers joining in.

Sauber cancel deal for Honda engines or is Honda cancel deal with Sauber?

It must be bad when Sauber won't take year old Ferrari engines over the 2018 Honda.

Bild in German

Terrible news for Sauber. I hope they can recover.

Sauber cancel deal for Honda engines or is Honda cancel deal with Sauber?

It must be bad when Sauber won't take year old Ferrari engines over the 2018 Honda.

Bild in German

Honda cancelled because of the recent changes at Sauber.

Red Bull has been sniffing around, they've seen what's coming. Toro Rosso will be powered by Honda next season before the main team switches in 2019 - book it.

Gazzetta Sport says McLaren are trying to get Ferrari PU 😂

Zaru

2) Speaking of Alonso, how on earth was there no investigation on whether he jumped the start or not? He jumped 3 spots before turn 1 lol.

That's just Alonso. There are plenty of videos of him making crazy gains in the first lap despite driving a McHonda.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Pure greed. Silverstone have been consistently one of the most expensive GP's for race weekend tickets in the recent era, yet millions of fans will probably feel sorry for them.

More like pure stupidity.
They (BRDC) signed a contract to host the race with fee increasing by 5% each year.
Over 10 years that quite a substantial increase from year 1.

Tubie

Red Bull has been sniffing around, they've seen what's coming. Toro Rosso will be powered by Honda next season before the main team switches in 2019 - book it.

Do you think Honda will be able to finally unleash the beast this season?

I think they need like 3 more seasons to get it right :p

DBT85

Pure greed. Silverstone have been consistently one of the most expensive GP's for race weekend tickets in the recent era, yet millions of fans will probably feel sorry for them.

That was probably the very best deal Bernie would give them, and it was a terrible deal.

Hopefully this means they can renegotiate.

Spades

I thought the race fees were standard for every venue (rising over 10 years)? With tracks of historical significance like Monza, Silverstone, etc, actually paying below average?

dl77

I thought the race fees were standard for every venue (rising over 10 years)? With tracks of historical significance like Monza, Silverstone, etc, actually paying below average?

No different tracks pay different fees, though they all escalate over the length of the contract. Certainly the BRDS pay a lot less than most other tracks but the problem is that a lot of other F1 races are subsidised by the government.

Fox Mulder

Lol Sauber.

It would be really interesting to see Redbull jump on Honda like that. They get to hold hands with Honda and Renault while the new engine regulations are coming soon as well to possibly bring in outside suppliers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tempted to go to that F1 thing tomorrow. Could head down after work fairly easily - better to be in the square or Whitehall if they're doing drive-bys?

I'll take my camera just in case

DBT85

Each venue pays what it could get away with paying Bernie, all he really cared about was making money so he was fairly happy to play hardball and let the historic races nearly die because he could go to mumbojumbo land and get a ridiculous fee.

Scottify

I just saw this, not familiar with Auto Bild, but it appears the Sauber-Honda deal is off! Will they be able to stay with Ferrari then or what? The article is in German, with a terrible Google translate below.

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/formel-1-sauber-ohne-motor-11322223.html
The Sauber-Honda deal has burst. The Japanese are to be dissatisfied with the personnel roaches in the team. Now the team has no engine.
Der Sauber-Honda-Deal ist geplatzt. Die Japaner sollen mit den Personalrochaden im Team unzufrieden sein. Jetzt steht das Team ohne Motor da.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

This statement seems like there's a lack of understanding of the details.

I don't feel particularly sorry for them, but they've reduced prices in recent years making them on par (or cheaper) with many other GPs, increased capacity, developed the spectator facilities (it's incredibly well-organised) and the events on display.

It was a shit contract which they were partly stupid and partly desperate to sign.

Anyway, it won't be going away from Silverstone in 2020.

Silverstone is a dreadful track and typically one of the dullest races of the year. The new section made it even worse. I can't wait to see the back of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom