• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

acm2000

and so shouldnt there be any penalties, traffic is part of quali and unless someone delierately holds up a rival then its all part of the show

kmag

and so shouldnt there be any penalties, traffic is part of quali and unless someone delierately holds up a rival then its all part of the show

Traffic is, barely moving cars loitering on the apex of the corner before speeding up at the last second isn't normal traffic.

John_B

Traffic is, barely moving cars loitering on the apex of the corner before speeding up at the last second isn't normal traffic.
This happens all the time in qualifying. Drivers are instructed to wait for a gap so they slow down, usually at the end of the track.

acm2000

it wasnt intentional, quite clearly fathing about with all the millions of buttons these cars have on the wheel to prep for the hot lap, he realised just in time and didnt affect the lap time much

kmag

This happens all the time in qualifying. Drivers are instructed to wait for a gap so they slow down, usually at the end of the track.

Yes, and when they do it when there's someone on a hot lap right behind them it's a penalty. While I'm not a fan of the stewards interfering too much, with this and the Vettel incident it's pretty clear that Vettel and Hamilton are being allowed to operate in a manner the rest of the field is not.

Spades

If GRO did the exact same thing to HAM, costing him pole position, you're telling me that GRO wouldn't have received a penalty?

John_B

Yes, and when they do it when there's someone on a hot lap right behind them it's a penalty. While I'm not a fan of the stewards interfering too much, with this and the Vettel incident it's pretty clear that Vettel and Hamilton are being allowed to operate in a manner the rest of the field is not.
Raikkonen held up Magnussen or Palmer or someone from a smaller team earlier in the season and didn't receive a penalty so you can't exactly say this was unprecedented.

But surely the top drivers are given more leash. Some stewards have already admitted that they don't want to interfere with the championship, which is bullshit as it has the exact opposite effect. Someone could end up edging the championship by way of escaping more penalties.

It's sad what has happened to Grosjean, but let's look at things little differently shall we?

Hamilton is fighting for the WDC, and Gros clocked 10th at his best try, would GRO have had gained anything by punishing Lewis? I'm not saying Hamilton didn't deserve a penalty, but it will be a shame if he got one. So I'm happy that it turned out the way it did. Good call

JDB

Banned
It's sad what has happened to Grosjean, but let's look at things little differently shall we?

Hamilton is fighting for the WDC, and Gros clocked 10th at his best try, would GRO have had gained anything by punishing Lewis? I'm not saying Hamilton didn't deserve a penalty, but it will be a shame if he got one. So I'm happy that it turned out the way it did. Good call
Let's put aside for a moment whether or not this was a penalty-worthy offense; not giving people penalties because it would be a shame is silly. Just because they're fighting for the championship doesn't mean they play by different rules.

Rolfgang

Positioning in the WDC shouldn't matter when stewards make a call, nor the current place for quali. If a driver makes a mistake that requires a penalty, then a penalty should be given.

No one should be exempt from that because they compete for the WDC, unless where does it end? What offense will deserve a penalty? Who exactly competes for the WDC? Is it only the top 3 or does RIC also counts? Just all those questions and debatable things are exactly the reason stuff like that shouldn't matter when stewards make the call.

JDB

Banned
F4uiQDY.png

hm

Caramello

Sure, that doesn't mean they're not loud enough though.

I bet upward of 90% of people that attended in person before the V6 era began would disagree.

I understand what you're saying but as somebody that has gone to every Aussie GP since 1995, the cars are not beasts now, the level of sound is similar to our V8 Supercars series which while loud, is not the league above that they used to be.

Check out this older video I took and you may begin to understand what the sound difference used to be. The 2nd car is a V8 supercar which is probably slightly louder than today's F1 cars. The third is an older, louder F1.

https://youtu.be/H03jC3OWVkw

Edit: I should also mention that I'm not trying to put you down and I'm glad you enjoyed it. The cars are impressive, I'm speaking only of the level of sound they produce. It's actually nice that you can hold a conversation with these cars and don't need to worry about hearing loss.

Rodelero

Positioning in the WDC shouldn't matter when stewards make a call, nor the current place for quali. If a driver makes a mistake that requires a penalty, then a penalty should be given.

All F1 stewarding seems to go through a lens of "What will this mean for the current race and/or championship". It's a farcical way to officiate a sport. They meddle constantly thinking it improves the spectacle, but ultimately it just makes the whole thing feel fake, with a touch of WWE about it.

This particular case is a bit weird. It's hard to tell whether Grosjean could have taken the corner at full tilt given that Hamilton does get going pretty quickly, but Grosjean would have been taking an almighty risk to actually do it. How could he know how quickly Hamilton was going to accelerate? Even if it's not technically impeding, it really ought to be. Hamilton is very lucky, though, practically I'm not sure Grosjean would have done better than 10th and Hamilton is so far ahead of 2nd it would seem harsh to drop him further.

I wonder if the drivers' could be given some kind of onboard information (rather than relying on their team) to indicate the proximity of drivers on hot laps - would reduce how often it happens and give drivers no excuse if they screwed up.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
This is the first GP I've attended but I can't believe people want louder cars, these things are beasts!
I think that Formula 2 is supporting the GP this week. If you can you should check it out. They had F2 after quali in Monaco, what a difference.

That literally makes no sense, you could use the same formulation to avoid penalising anyone as long as there is no contact. At what point does affecting become impeding?

Uh what? Contact? They're saying they examined the telemetry and it didn't affect Gro. They used telemetry to identify that Vettel was infact insane in Baku.

Rodelero

That literally makes no sense, you could use the same formulation to avoid penalising anyone as long as there is no contact. At what point does affecting become impeding?

Presumably it's a question of physical space. You can affect someone's lap by merely running ahead of them. The effect made by a car through the air affects drivers that are several seconds back. So I'd think impeding is a question of whether they physically got in your way. I guess the question here is whether there would have been a collision if Grosjean didn't slow abnormally. It looks touch and go to me.

JDB

Banned
Uh what? Contact? They're saying they examined the telemetry and it didn't affect Gro. They used telemetry to identify that Vettel was infact insane in Baku.
No, it says it potentially affected Grosjean. God knows where the difference between affecting and impeding is, though.

mclem

No, it says it potentially affected Grosjean. God knows where the difference between affecting and impeding is, though.

I assume affecting is "I hope this person doesn't block me", and impeding is "This person just blocked me".

i.e. if you're affected psychologically by their presence that you prepare to be impeded but that never actually happens, that would still slow you down - but they haven't actually impeded you.

Not entirely sure I agree with that in the context of the video, though!

kmag

If they've got the telemetry, then surely there's no potentially affecting Grosjean, it either did or didn't.

kiyomi

I mean, it's easy to forget that at one point, people were calling for Grosjean to have multiple race bans and even removed from the sport because of his crashfest in.. 2012? I feel like that's what Toto's trying to say, unfortunately he underestimated the headline that would come out of it and the way people would see it.

tomtom94

I mean, it's easy to forget that at one point, people were calling for Grosjean to have multiple race bans and even removed from the sport because of his crashfest in.. 2012? I feel like that's what Toto's trying to say, unfortunately he underestimated the headline that would come out of it and the way people would see it.

The hyperbole about Grosjean was utter bullshit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom