• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAl1992

Whether people like it or not, Hamilton and Bottas both get along very well and respect each other despite both of them being in the running for the WDC alongside Vettel. I applaud Lewis for that move, and he has my respect as well. They'll be back after the summer break. This championship is far from over.

DF_KdqZXcAEmwKz

John_B

I feel like it cheapens it a bit with Vettel getting carried to several victories, having contractual advantages, demanding slow team mates, receiving lenience from the FIA. It's F1 and that's the game, but even if he retires with the most championships out the top drivers of this generation, will he be considered the best?

FuturusX

A good deed can pay handsomely for itself down the road. When Bottas needs to let Hamilton pass at a later circuit, he will have to move over without delay.

4d chess.

Doikor

Gah the aero regulations have really fucked this race haven't they?

Well the more the cars rely on aero instead of mechanical grip the harder it is to stay close and thus to overtake. Some tracks just have better corners before the big straights allowing one to stay close for the DRS zone and make moves.

On another news great motor racing day for Finland. A Finn won the Finnish WRC stage and two Finns on podium in F1 on the same day :)

Ark

What?

Bottas is a legit championship contender.

If he's prepared to compromise his race for a championship rival team mate, Hamilton should be prepared to do the same.

It's incredibly unlikely Bottas will win this Championship. Sure, he's in contention, but let's be real here.

Next year, perhaps.

Yeah, fair play on HAM. He actually gave the position back.

Vettel winning was such a classic Vettel win. The car is broken, the steering wheel turns to the side all the time, and yet he nursed it home fast enough to win. That is Vettel's biggest strength, in my opinion. Not a lot of people can do that.

He won because even with all those issues, you can't pass on this track.

sammex

Yup.

Might fuck them over later

Team orders are allowed according to the rulebook

Yes but teams are scared of using them as they don't want the backlash from interfering with the racing. It was a mistake for Mercedes to tell him he had to give it back - either let him past or don't.

Spades

Yeah. I don't like that he gave up the points and podium, but you've gotta respect the man for the move.

Agreed. Team orders exist to handle situations exactly like today. There was no need to reverse it, and it sounded like the team didn't want to either. So, fair play to Lewis, huge respect.

BigAl1992

Commentators here are saying that McLaren Renault is a given. As well as Toro Rosso Honda and Sainz to Renault.

I can believe that. Renault already have a works team and a customer team. Now to have three teams using your engine and the other two are highly regarded teams as well..... that's some major data collection you can get from that partnership for yourself.

Spades

Alonso looks surprisingly happy with 6th. I mean, it's an incredible achievement but he always seems to shrug off results like this as a former double-champ.

Juicy Bob

It's incredibly unlikely Bottas will win this Championship. Sure, he's in contention, but let's be real here.

Next year, perhaps.
You don't know that.

Before this race, he had a chance of taking the lead in the title race if circumstances fell his way.

If we were talking about Raikkonen, 80 points behind, sure. But a guy who's won two races and was only a little behind Hamilton has a right to expect his team to give him a fair go especially when he has, contractually speaking, equal status with his team mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom