• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayDat

I really don't see giving saving some tracks (that were probably gonna get cut completely) to Target as a huge compromise. Interscope gave Kendrick a ton of freedom for his debut compared to most new artists. The only bonus song I bothered to add to my version was The Recipe since I felt like I already had a complete album with the base 12.

I view it the same way I do for games with retailer specific content. It's bullshit that it even exists, but that's just a part of the business at this point. It's only when the standard product feels lacking that I even care.

Labels still play a much larger role than most of us would like. If I were Kendrick I'd be careful to bite the hand that feeds knowing how much worse the album could've turned out. I do wish it weren't a factor though.

im not sure where yall are disconnecting from the logic...

at some point kendrick signed, of his own volition, a contract saying "i will let my overseers and owners sell my music in any avenue possible. i will give them the option of giving exclusive tracks to TARGET".

he signed that shit.

how can you say it wasn't his decision?
there would be no amazing piece of work without that. it's necessary, but i doubt he wanted to do it on his own volition. Kendrick could not have made GKMC without those pieces in place. He had control over rather he wanted his dream come true or not.

coldvein

Banned
I view it the same way I do for games with retailer specific content. It's bullshit that it even exists, but that's just a part of the business at this point. It's only when the standard product feels lacking that I even care.

this is the pertinent part.

we don't have to look too far to see that it's "just the business".

there's a guy who put out a pretty good album, sold as much if not more than kendrick, and had no special target walmart deals when that shit dropped. won a grammy too.

the NEED for this type of contract is overstated. in my opinion.

Detox

so he couldnt have assembled GKMC on his own? the contract was necessary?
Kendrick had a dream and it wasn't moving 50k on bandcamp. Dre and Aftermath let him realise it without the interference usually associated with a major deal. They got him big producers, features and he was mentored by a legend his hero. The album would have got boring if it had all those deluxe tracks, bonus and unreleased songs. Only thing that didn't make the cut was cartoons and cereal. It doesn't really matter if they gave some of those songs to the 4th largest music retailer in the US just for some presence in stores.

coldvein

Banned
Kendrick had a dream and it wasn't moving 50k on bandcamp. Dre and Aftermath let him realise it without the interference usually associated with a major deal. They got him big producers, features and he was mentored by a legend his hero. The album would have got boring if it had all those deluxe tracks, bonus and unreleased songs. Only thing that didn't make the cut was cartoons and cereal. It doesn't really matter if they gave some of those songs to the 4th largest music retailer in the US just for some presence in stores.

i hear you. just disagree.

Esch

Banned
you dont think major label control over product in hiphop is worth addressing?

thats fine. i aint mad at ya. i just think its important. interesting, anyway.
Its a strange time to see this as an issue. Labels are flabbier than ever. Practically speaking, why does it matter? Bonus tracks suck ass. And if it really bothers you you can cop and add to your folder.

Just a non issue total. Especially in regard to GKMC which is a very genuine album either way.

overcast

That's all label inter working for sure. Some dude up top cut a deal with Target to give some exclusive tracks to them to entice customers to those stores. These dudes record tons of music for their albums.

Seriously doubt Q and Kendrick were like "LETS GIVE TARGET THOSE TRACKS". Compromises come with being signed to a major.

Rick Ross track is pretty nice.

coldvein

Banned
Its a strange time to see this as an issue. Labels are flabbier than ever. Practically speaking, why does it matter? Bonus tracks suck ass. And if it really bothers you you can cop and add to your folder.

Just a non issue total. Especially in regard to GKMC which is a very genuine album either way.

i just think its disgusting, is all.

i look at rap as a real form of art.

i expect certain things from real artists.

selling exclusive tracks to target isn't one of those things.

i hear ya already coldvein i bet youre no fun to hang out with etc etc its okay.

coldvein

Banned
too much? im sorry.

PD edit: so the artist specifically said he didn't want something to happen, and the powers that be made it happen anyway.?

i just dont see how yall are cool with this scenario.

overcast

I just don't get Rick Ross.
Yeah, he's one of the artists I can't get into. He's got some good tracks, but I never listen to them that much.

Wait, Sanctified snippet got you guys going that crazy? Didn't even sound like anything other than an intro. Cuts off right when Sean starts. Good buildup for sure.

DominoKid

that new Ross track is hot. and for whoever disagreed, Ross really does have 2 projects better than anything Q has done and ever will do.

you dont think major label control over product in hiphop is worth addressing?

thats fine. i aint mad at ya. i just think its important. interesting, anyway.

no not really. it's standard in the music industry.

Esch

Banned
too much? im sorry.

PD edit: so the artist specifically said he didn't want something to happen, and the powers that be made it happen anyway.?

One day you're gonna be in a museum breh. They're gonna use holograms of you to describe def jux fan message boards circa 2002

coldvein

Banned
that was a tongue in cheek reference to the acceptance of industry by seemingly everybody.

sorry it went over yalls heads.

too much? im sorry.

I'm not cool with it, but it's not Kendrick's fault. Seems like a way to convince people to buy albums more than once.

Cudder

I'm not cool with it, but it's not Kendrick's fault. Seems like a way to convince people to buy albums more than once.

has anyone ever seen a non-deluxe GKMC? after all this time, every time ive walked into a store ive ONLY, 100% of the time seen the deluxe edition with the van on the cover.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
has anyone ever seen a non-deluxe GKMC? after all this time, every time ive walked into a store ive ONLY, 100% of the time seen the deluxe edition with the van on the cover.
Yea. A lot of times.

iirc the van is standard, family is deluxe.

Bg4FXAhCAAAEtXh.jpg

Who the nobody on the right?

That photobomb tho

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
look like they left each other enough room in the shake to caress each others hands slightly, with just their main digits, let em know they're both there for each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom