• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
"traditional fans" don't even check sites like that. they wait for tapes to buzz up and then comment on them en masse as more searchers and seekers start downloading and talking about them. Des can and will write about whatever he wants. I just know him enough to know that he won't write in the corny, eyerollingly twee style of the 'pitchfork' journalist.

Detox

Do it Des. I don't like the traditional blog format scrolling down for each story. Try and use something different.

thabiz

that new war on drugs album.

1371266715_ac64da2b_obama-wiping-sweat-from-forehead.jpeg

big ander

This lil herb tape goes. Didn't know what to expect going in, had only seen comparisons to Durk/L/Keef but I think he has more bars and he feels a lot closer to Tree, except more varied. I like that instead of sticking firmly in "soultrap" (which I thought made some tracks on sunday school II fall flat) he changes the amount of soul influence song to song, better listen that way.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Speaking of Ferg, dude spits some boring ass shit sometimes.

Miley's mom could get it. I mean gotdamn, I ain't into the whole Milf thing, but she looks better than most of the 20 somethings I meet at bars.

Go to new bars breh..... or even better try Yoga.

Esch

Banned
Less his style I think and more like we arent desperate like its 2007-8 just to hear some damn rap that we'll turn to slaughterhouse to slake our thirst.

PBY

Banned
Less his style I think and more like we arent desperate like its 2007-8 just to hear some damn rap that we'll turn to slaughterhouse to slake our thirst.

I think we all just woke up and realized that battle raps aren't the same thing as good songs.

That is Danny's fanbase though, I explained it in my post, and you touch on it with the selling to the crowd stuff. He's a critical darling because he is unique, which immediately translates to quality for many of these publications who pander to the exact audience that consumes this stuff, just look at the glowing reviews for hot garbage like Black Up. Does that necessarily mean your average hip-hop fan fucks with him though? I don't think so. That bubble is much more crossover than it is your average hip-hop fan.

Meme rap isn't actually a thing, or relevant here even.

this guy...

you belong in a privatized prison for this nonsense, playboi

Esch

Banned
Remember when Joey said he'd leave you bloody like the middle of a burger.
And yet everyone was eating that corny shit up. Those dudes not taking advantage of the buzz they had decisively is one of the biggest Ls in rap history. At least dipset had hits and moved some units, Slaughterhouse?

PBY

Banned
And yet everyone was eating that corny shit up. Those dudes not taking advantage of the buzz they had decisively is one of the biggest Ls in rap history. At least dipset had hits and moved some units, Slaughterhouse?

I was all about slaughterhouse. Loved the shit out of their first album. That was my "real rap" phase. Fuck man, those dudes are bums. All of em.

exarkun

Good luck HiRes, you should just pitch yourself at pitchfork and tell them "look, your hip hop reviews are a running joke. You're lack of perspective and Hip Hop knowledge displayed in each review is offensive. Lets do this work." But I think your original idea is great, and that you will succeed~!

Just was thinking what CyHi has been doing lately. Is the tape dope?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Their last album did really well for what it was, and they're still caking off of the association. And their next album is shaping up to be even better. They're all eating pretty well, esp. compared to other buzzing artists that go nowhere, they're still making linear progression.

Comparing sales to the Dipset/Def Jam era is an L in itself.

Esch

Banned
Their last album did really well for what it was, and they're still caking off of the association. And their next album is shaping up to be even better. They're all eating pretty well, esp. compared to other buzzing artists that go nowhere, they're still making linear progression.

Comparing sales to the Dipset/Def Jam era is an L in itself.
Lol at a buddens stan trying to tell me with a straight face that Slaughterhouse wasnt in the position to be pushing platinum albums

PBY

Banned
I know I'm late here but heres my 2 Cents HRD- Mic Cypher is a good name, but theres a lottaaaa rap blogs with similar names.

You want it to be personal, it want HiResDes' view on rap. Not just "a" view on rap.

Im on team HRD.com, or at least something that calls back to things that are important to you.

Think about where you grew up, favorite nicknames of your rap venue of choice, etc.

I'd go with something like that to be honest.

edit: to clarify- the name, I think, should tell me more about the author's perspective itself than the subjet you're covering. Grantland, Pitchfork, 2db- they are names that don't necessarily connote the subjects they cover. They came to be associated with their subjects because of their quality/consistency. I think you should do that.

Cudder

Good luck HiRes, you should just pitch yourself at pitchfork and tell them "look, your hip hop reviews are a running joke. You're lack of perspective and Hip Hop knowledge displayed in each review is offensive. Lets do this work." But I think your original idea is great, and that you will succeed~!

Just was thinking what CyHi has been doing lately. Is the tape dope?
Brings up a good point. Maybe try emailing established publications and ask them if they need a new/different reviewer on staff? Even for free. Even if the workload is light at first, your reviews would have tons of eyes at the beginning. If people gravitate to your writing you can branch off later on and start your own site. I think its a pretty viable path tbh. Send samples of your work to show them what they're missing from their site.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lol at a buddens stan trying to tell me with a straight face that Slaughterhouse wasnt in the position to be pushing platinum albums
I'm not a Budden stan, he hasn't put out a decent-or-better project ever. And no, Slaughterhouse was NEVER in the position to push a platinum album WTF? You know how rare platinum albums are in this day and age?

I guess clearly not if you're expecting those types of sales after 2008 if the stars don't align for certain artists. There are literally a handful of artists period today in hip-hop that can push platinum, don't act like some hip-hop boy band ever had that sort of appeal in this day and age. Not to mention they had the worst label ever behind them: Shady.

Esch

Banned
Might be trolling calling you a stan BUT

The field was basically open, they could have done it if they dropped in 07 or 08. Internet hype was pretty damn high and they had major label backing so..I dunno. If they had worked things out right I think it could have happened. Their biggest mistake was alwaysmaking all their tracks 4 man cyphers and production, not just falling back on rappity rap songwriting.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Might be trolling calling you a stan BUT

The field was basically open, they could have done it if they dropped in 07 or 08. Internet hype was pretty damn high and they had major label backing so..I dunno. If they had worked things out right I think it could have happened. Their biggest mistake was alwaysmaking all their tracks 4 man cyphers and production, not just falling back on rappity rap songwriting.
They did their first song in '08 (when they weren't even a group) called Slaughterhouse and Shady didn't start backing them until about 2 years ago when they released their major label debut.

And the bolded was less of a problem on their second tape. I'm not really excited for a Slaughterhouse album per ce but if I get more songs like Not Tonight and Move On (Remix) I'm 100% fine with those. Their songwriting has markedly improved from album to album.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
wait, people excited for a Cyhi tape?

the thirst is very real and there isn't anywhere or anything to quench it.

PBY

Banned
alphabetic characters are played out.

I'd reiterate my suggestion to go personal. IF I were basing it around my life, these are the types of names I'd think over:

LudlamandGold, ThePalmetto, FadedAwning, SabalShade, MintPickup..

Not the best, just the kind of line of thinking im going w/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom