• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ijaNRXNmil9hq.gif

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I haven't gotten this hype over a record in some time. I don't know the musical terms or whatever, but the bass and drum work on this album is so very, very clean sounding. Like it makes the car boom without static or whatever. I had this shit CRANKED. Still listening to it on my iPhone, even though I had to turn on data streaming. You don't do that shit for some GFID fuckery.

overcast

I don't really fuck with Ross, but I'll definitely check mastermind out. WW bout to start beating to it haha.

Wait the pharrell album is good? About to check that out after migos turn up too then.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
never listened to a Rick Ross album before but I guess I'll give Mastermind a listen.

iXIcWxjO2euS9.gif

I almost feel sorry for this guy.... he's obviously not in his right mind.

and yeah this Ross Album is crazy.... and I will say it. Its because he didn't drop a mixtape leading up to it. I think that really was a major factor of GFID being lackluster. The fact that he had dropped hot songs on Rich Forever that he should of saved for his Album. Holy Ghost would of been a great GFID single but he let it out for free.

WHAT?!?!?

OK!!!

overcast

I enjoy Jazz clubs, but the drinks are overpriced sometimes, and yeah the pretentiousness is annoying.

I usually do an initial listen to the albums that come out, then I put it away and listen to it again the next day. If I still wanna hear after that I tend to think it's a good album, but yeah, generally it takes me a while to form an opinion on an album, the more hype around it, the longer I take (It took seriously a month of going back and forth on MCHG before I decided it was good because I kept going back to it) to figure out if I'm gonna be listening to this regularly or just be forgetting about it in a few days.

Idk, it's not really an exact thing for me.

1)jazz clubs are great. Rarely a douche crowd and they almost always put a little more time into their drinks unless its a super busy night.

2)that depends on the album.
Yeah, it was actually a good time. Could see myself going with a girl or some friends and having a few drinks when the time comes. As it stands though, I drank an espresso.

Does depend on the album for me a bit. I'll usually give an album 2-3 listens regardless (unless I hate it or it's particularly boring). A deeper dive is required if it's hyped, almost regardless. Then I can dive through for some keepers to bump if the album is kind of just alright. Helps strain the good stuff.
what club you at?

I like going to a few out here, but can't really foot the bill lately (contract work fuckin' sucks sometimes).

Yoshi's out in Oakland is goddamn dope tho.
I went to one in Fullerton. Was dead though. Which was alright, only like 10 people. Tuesday night, so I wasn't expecting much. Is Oakland actually a place to go to? Thought it was a place to avoid given how dangerous it was? I haven't been there, only up to Berkeley.

Satellite Flight is now #1 on iTunes. COUNT. I see Cole Swindell has dropped out of the top 10 lol.

Edit: You guys catch Kanye on Seth Meyers? Did a medley of one song off each album. Seems like there was no real transitions though. Kind of mashed together. AOTL was particularly bad, but Heartless and Black Skinhead were great. Link.

Grzi

Mastermind is crazy after one listen, need to give it a few more spins, but for now I just gotta say... Paradise Lost brehs, never thought I'd hear a song that sounds like it came straight from Reasonable Doubt or Life After Death in 2014, but Ross did it. I almost shed a tear, Ross is repping that NY mafioso rap harder than anyone with this song right now.

Tried to put Mastermind on my phone before heading out to work.. Ended up deleting all the music off my phone -_-

The album is good though, Sanctified goes haaaaard af.

And I agree with Zeus, the only project I really liked from Rozay was Rich Forever and that was released right before GFID. Felt like he blew his whole load on the mixtape instead of the album.

FUCK KID CUDI

Cudi not gonna outsell Q just off an iTunes release...
oh god

That Lil Jon AMA is hilarious.

Ohnonono

I was listenin to Q last night and got frustrated so I impulse bought Control System and Step Brothers 2 hoping to get some damned satisfaction. I really like both a ton. Stuck Oxy and those 2 on a playlist and hit random on the way to work today and the random god played zero Q. I did not miss him. Starlito is the shit imho.

Never listened to Ross cept for his feature on Crenshaw. I liked it well enough but it may have been because I dig that album so much. I'll check out Mastermind. I can't imagine that shit goes as hard as Step Brothers though. Still so new to Hip-Hop that I can always go grab stuff that most of ya'll wore out a year or 2 ago.

Esch

Banned
ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron reviewed

1. Gangsta - Not feeling this. He immediately started this out with that chicken squawk Nicki Minaj shit he does. Awful. Just rap dude, you and Kendrick with the stupid voices. Where are the bars? The punchlines? Even a semblance of flow? Really bad way to start off an album. -

2. Los Awesome ft. Jay Rock
– This is straight, I’m kinda feeling the Ruff Ryders beat. Q is his usual pace of trash rapping, just saying shit, but I’m not mad at it. Interesting that this is a Pharrell beat, because I was immediately reminded of La-La-La(Excuse Me Miss Again) but that’s of course a classic track and this is of course some average shit despite having a pretty hot beat. More stupid noises, more annoying voices. But it has Jay Rock, so. +

3. Collard Greens ft. Kendrick Lamar – I still like this track. It’s definitely taking a leaf or four from Kendrick but whatever, it’s got a cool beat and he doesn’t overuse adlibs; he’s actually rapping words. K. Dot feature is straight too. +

4. What They Want ft. 2 Chainz – This shit would be a straight 2 Chainz song but as it is right now, it’s kinda wack, brehs. Whenever this dude raps about sex or smashing its automatic nahhh for me. Recycle bin. –

5. Hoover Street – This is boring as hell. Fuck is this milquetoast shit about even? Next. –

6. Studio ft. BJ the Chicago Kid
– This is a tough one for me cause I really like the beat, but its not actually Q who brings this down but BJ. Goddamn this guy is always so generic. His hooks are genuinely 2008 datpiff tier. In delivery, skill, everything. This dude Q rapping about pussy and licking girls, next. –

7. Prescription / Oxymoron – See, this is a good song. It’s definitely sad that he views pills this way, but it's a great marriage of a concept and sound. If he could consistently do this, I’d probably consider him a decent artist. He really shines here. +

8. The Purge ft. Tyler the Creator and Kurupt – Tyler the creator, what sounds like a Tyler beat, song about nothing, waste of Kurupt. Unsalvageable garbage. Pass. –

9. Blind Threats ft. Raekwon – This is cool with me; he’s flowing, beat is nice and contemplative. Not sure why this needed Rae, but it’s straight with me. +

10. Hell of a Night – Hard to say how I feel about this one. On one hand I really like the vibe and beat and general pace of this song a lot, but this song aint really where it should be. It’s missing something.. Trying to be an anthem? It sorta is but it’s not really hitting to me. It’s got a cool Kavinsky type feel to it I guess. Q sounds nice over beats like this. +

11. Break Da Bank – Yeah guys, not really sure why y’all were on this shit. The chorus is dumb as shit and this is nowhere near the peak of what Alc can do. If it was, it could offset the rest of this. Get this stupid ladidaddooo shit the fuck outtahere. He didn’t really go off on this at all. I’m starting to think this guy saves his highest gears for features. But still this is alright. Just overhyped. +

12. Man of the Year
– Man, this is a mad waste of a beat. You’ve got a classic on the boards and he comes w/ some shit that I’m just not feeling here. This dude talking about being a winner, getting bitches, acclaim etc. That’s not him. Just comes off unconvincing, and that’s a key element of selling a swag song to me. -

13. His and Her Fiend ft. SZA – What is this? Why would you even put some irrelevant crap like this on your album? They’re trying to have SZA do some Portishead thing and its wack. –

14. Grooveline pt. 2 ft. Suga Free – Yeah, I think I like this shit. He sounds great over this beat and it’s just a nice chill sit back and enjoy your chair type track. He should release a mixtape of this kind of stuff. This is like something Curren$y would release. He needs to stop rapping about pussy tho. Wait, nope. This dude Suga Free just came along and farted on my pizza slice. Get this ribibibity liggititty porky the pig dollar store andre 3000 shit the fuck out of here ASAP. Why would you ruin a track with that? -

15. Fuck LA – Using the word pussy in your hook again, nope. This songs kinda straight in its own way though. It’s got a nice bounce and beat. But he ruined it with this trash hook. -

Eschscaled : 6/15

Comments: Yeah, this pretty much confirmed how I felt about ScHoolboy Q. I’m trying to judge this as an album but it doesn’t feel even slightly cohesive, so I think the eschscale might actually be one of the best ways of looking at it. For an album with such a mishmash of sounds, the album has aggressively one note songwriting and lyricism. ScHoolboy Q on the mic is like when you order broccoli and beef from a Chinese joint and they skimp the fuck out of shit and only give you a couple measly, weak slivers of protein. Where are the punchlines? Where are the schemes? Where’s the flow? Bars? What does this guy have to offer besides charisma (and that’s mad debateable)? His mic work lives or dies on gimmicks. I’ve been picking my brain listening to this trying to figure out what makes him so endearing to you all. Is it the adlibs? The Nicki Minaj/ Kendrick / Eminem silly rapping voices? These things are OK, but they are supposed to be the spice or condiment to rapping. Not a sizeable portion of what makes a rapper good. Content wise; this guy is all over the place. I guess you could characterize him as a half swag rapper and half drug rapper. He’s not really good at both. He doesn’t have the presence or history to sell a larger than life material story. He doesn't have enough talent with the English language to poignantly describe his experiences with drugs. Even when he talks about bitches and sex, which is give or take 20% of his verses, it just comes off as some puerile 13 year old shit. And that would even be cool with me too if he could sell it with some bon mots or wordplay or humor. Instead it’s just kinda obnoxious. This album’s not all bad, there were in fact some moments I enjoyed quite a bit and will replay. But that’s all overshadowed by his reliance on gimmicks, mediocre artistic vision, and C- album rapping. I’m not surprised that this album is eliciting such feels from some of you guys, because it’s clearly worse than the mediocre-bad Habits and Contradictions; it’s a sordid story of shortcomings and middling talent. Listening to this shit makes me feel poor.

Some genuine 2 mic shit.

KgouhG0.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Who knew I'd be more excited to hear a Rick Ross album and a Migos tape than new shit from Schoolboy Q and Cudi. I guess Purrp is putting out BMW2 this Friday, I'll check it out.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GOD IVE BEEN GUILTY FORNICATING FROM MY STATUS

If Sanctified isn't a single, Ross is fucking up. This shit is stadium status.

codhand

Damn, Esch I'm with you, it starts you out like it might be on some Boot Camp Click era vibe, but it quickly fizzles out with tiring bars and dull hooks about absolutely nothing. And yeah even Alc can't save this one. It's not outright bad, but has really bad pacing, almost to the point where i respect his balls for even releasing it as this unfocused mess of styles. asap ferg album is a much better b-team release.

Habits and Contradictions was one of the first things i latched onto from this thread, and it helped me snap out of dust-mode, so this is a big disappointment for me as a casual fan.

for the die hards here, i just smh. 2 mics is spot on, not a mic more, not a mic less

Esch

Banned
Damn, Esch I'm with you, it starts you out like it might be on some Boot Camp Click era vibe, but it quickly fizzles out with tiring bars and dull hooks about absolutely nothing. And yeah even Alc can't save this one. It's not outright bad, but has really bad pacing, almost to the point where i respect his balls for even releasing it as this unfocused mess of styles. asap ferg album is a much better b-team release.

Habits and Contradictions was one of the first things i latched onto from this thread, and it helped me snap out of dust-mode, so this is a big disappointment for me as a casual fan.

for the die hards here, i just smh. 2 mics is spot on, not a mic more, not a mic less

Yep. I'm definitely biased against him, but I don't see how anything I said was super off base. His shit is not satisfying at all to me. I know it's a problem when I listen to an album and I can't quote you a line or a verse that I thought was hot. He just has no real content, his verses are universally poor. He's one of those rappers that thinks he can float by on his hooks and energy, but neither are particularly great. Especially those hooks. Some of them are
scusthov.gif
KRIT tier trash.

DeadTsar

Niggas be lovin’ the old Ye, they sayin’ the new Ye, that nigga be spazzin’
But when Ali turn up and be Ali, you can’t ever take that nigga back to Cassius

WOOOOOooooooo

Can't even hate on the Esch review, even if I want too. Some things I don't agree with (Hell of a night and Los Awesome getting a + but Gangsta is a -) but most of it seems spot on.

Le sigh.

Still needa win that avy bet tho.. #OXYMORON IN STORES NOW

Esch

Banned
Gangsta gets a - cause there's like no decent rapping on it. It could just be a bunch of fart noises over the beat and it wouldn't really be that different. Los Awesome and Hell of a Night are generic and in the latter's case, probably a song created purely by the label, but at least they're functional.

mooooose

Yep. I'm definitely biased against him, but I don't see how anything I said was super off base. His shit is not satisfying at all to me. I know it's a problem when I listen to an album and I can't quote you a line or a verse that I thought was hot. He just has no real content, his verses are universally poor. He's one of those rappers that thinks he can float by on his hooks and energy, but neither are particularly great. Especially those hooks. Some of them are
scusthov.gif
KRIT tier trash.
Oxymoron doesn't have quotables and it's a damn shame. HnC had quite a few.

I like "'Get Mine' my nickname", off Break the Bank. Gangsta has some cool lines.

Honestly tho, I think this was Q trying, and I think he just doesn't have what it takes to be a serious storyteller the way he WANTS to be. He wants to tell grandiose gangsta raps and his story is cliche as fuck and he doesn't have it in him to make it sound interesting.

I liked the hooks tho. The problem with them was that they felt completely disjointed from the verses. Man of the Year has a great hook and GOAT beat but the verses suck ass. What They Want has a cool ass hook but ass verses. This plagues a lot of the album. Gangsta, Hoover Street, and Break the Bank are the successes here.

Q could put out a good album one day, but whatever this abomination was, he fucked up and he deserves no real praise. The singles are mostly pretty great and I think between Yay Yay, Hoover Street, and Break the Bank, I don't ever have to hear about Q's past life ever again.

(this is my honest opinion but ill still have the whole thing on repeat and praise it regardless, call this me reflecting stepped back from my stannery)
Gangsta gets a - cause there's like no decent rapping on it. It could just be a bunch of fart noises over the beat and it wouldn't really be that different. Los Awesome and Hell of a Night are generic and in the latter's case, probably a song created purely by the label, but at least they're functional.
This isn't directed at you so much but Hell of a Night was clearly Q's choice. Q's made songs like this before with the same producer (who I believe is a TDE affiliate). It sounds hollow, but that's what Q puts out sometimes... hollow boring cliche music.

Gangsta has some good rapping. He has pimp like flow on both verses and his imagery is dope. You definitely just heard the yawks and nexted it but it's a good song my dude.

Esch

Banned
Oxymoron doesn't have quotables and it's a damn shame. HnC had quite a few.

I like "'Get Mine' my nickname", off Break the Bank. Gangsta has some cool lines.

Honestly tho, I think this was Q trying, and I think he just doesn't have what it takes to be a serious storyteller the way he WANTS to be. He wants to tell grandiose gangsta raps and his story is cliche as fuck and he doesn't have it in him to make it sound interesting.
Like I said, he doesn't have the vocab or perspective. His shit stays basic. Even if you have a boring story, you can make it sound dope. Gnauze wasnt out here selling kilos or anything like that. He wasn't even out here battle rapping like that really, but he can still paint vivid pictures. Some people just don't have the ability. You can tell he's a fan of albums like It Was Written, Reasonable Doubt, OB4CL but he doesn't get what made them good or can't replicate it.
Gangsta has some good rapping. He has pimp like flow on both verses and his imagery is dope. You definitely just heard the yawks and nexted it but it's a good song my dude.
Nah man, I gave it plenty of spins before I copped Oxy and gave it a full run through in the album. It's some mad middling 50 cent impression shit, especially with the sung hook. And I hate 50 cent. (Break da bank).

You're right about Gangsta tho lol

Gangsta, like many of the songs, has pockets on it where it works. He finds a nice groove at one point ("when I was broke I got me that 9, with that 9 I hit me that lick..." etc) but after a few bars (shortly after the pneumonia line in fact) he goes back to...what almost seems like modern Jay Z style make-shit-up-on-the-spot rapping and it doesn't work.

And the chorus is like a preview of the entire album. He relies on adlibs more than any rapper I can think of right now, and it just sounds awkward. YAK YAK YAK on Gangsta is just like...wut? I've heard Schoolboy say that Top Dawg put the entire crew in a "writing" class when they first signed to TDE, and they learned the importance of hooks; Q says he writes his hook before writing verses. Yet nearly every hook on this album is bad to average, and repetitive. Even on songs I like such as Break The Bank, the chorus feels like a place holder.

As I said yesterday, the album really feels rushed. It's not even ambitious - I mean, if he had tried to do some GKMC/Take Care type album and failed, I could understand that. But there's nothing hard here yet he still couldn't deliver. Is he just a hypeman with a deal? I really liked HnC, I think Q has potential, but he also strikes me as someone who needs an executive producer to get the best out of him next time. Perhaps the most telling part on the album is Collard Greens, which I dislike. When Kendrick's verse starts it becomes an entirely different song - he weaves through the beat effortlessly and plays around with like three different melodies. And then Q returns the track to recycle bin status.

I told you guys TDE wasn't going to last brehs. Q is marketable, and if he lost some weight chicks would probably find him attractive. But he just can't write. Ab Soul is a complete underground rapper with no interest in making it big. And apparently Jay Rock is going through career crisis according to Q: he thinks the gangster shit is played out and is trying to do something else. I hope to god Dre or someone else gets a hold of Jay and convinces him to just be himself; if you don't want to do gangsta shit don't do it. He has a great voice and understands how to ride a beat. Pair him with some hit makers/chorus writers and let him cook, brehs.

exarkun

Dunno how dudes can say they never fucked with Ross when hes been a staple of the game for a while now. You can't listen to Khaled shit, any MMG shit, some kanye shit, drake shit, or jay z shit without running into him. He has one of the best ears for beats in the industry, and he kind of always knew what he wanted to rap about and how to do it.

Just boggles my mind when people say that. You can't listen to conscious rap all the time. Or whatever the fuck it is Cudi is making nowadays.

Edit: @PD Damn, I love Jay Rock. Dont tell me he aint doing the gangsta stuff no more. He was born to do it.

Esch

Banned
I actually think this is very good conflict for Jay Rock. This is the kind of internal thing that makes people create great music. If he manages to come back on some 'rehabilitated gangster' shit I can see him dropping an incredible album. The game needs a 2pac like figure who has lived that life but wants to uplift the hood and black people. It's been too long since Hip-hop has had an artist like that

In other sad news my favorite guitarist of all time Paco De Lucia died. I know some of yall arent into flamenco and shit like this but go in there and try some of his shit out. he was a genius, and very important to me musically.

Ross can't rap for shit and has no substance at all. Dude talks about the same shit pretty much on every track. Not to mention that he's possibly the biggest fraud in all of Hip Hop.

So when people say they don't fuck with Ross, it's pretty understandable breh.

Dunno how dudes can say they never fucked with Ross when hes been a staple of the game for a while now. You can't listen to Khaled shit, any MMG shit, some kanye shit, drake shit, or jay z shit without running into him. He has one of the best ears for beats in the industry, and he kind of always knew what he wanted to rap about and how to do it.

Just boggles my mind when people say that. You can't listen to conscious rap all the time. Or whatever the fuck it is Cudi is making nowadays.

Edit: @PD Damn, I love Jay Rock. Dont tell me he aint doing the gangsta stuff no more. He was born to do it.
A lot of people only listen to conscious rap. Hell, there was a point in time where it's all I accepted.

The eye opener for me as far as Ross goes was Teflon Don. Amazon was running some buy one get one free deal years ago and I asked GAF-Hop which album to get and I was told to snag that one.

I'm glad Mastermind apparently sounds good to y'all though. I'll dive into it after work.

Edit: Ross may be a fraud but he's makin moves tho #TRILLAAA #BAWSE #THEDEVILISALIEEE

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Ross can't rap for shit and has no substance at all. Dude talks about the same shit pretty much on every track. Not to mention that he's possibly the biggest fraud in all of Hip Hop.

So when people say they don't fuck with Ross, it's pretty understandable breh.
But he has a good ear for beats and features

I've never messed with Ross. I've given all of his albums multiple chances, but by the time you reach the end, it just sounds like the same song with the same flow over and over. It's not about listening to conscious rap all the time.

Mastermind is real good after 6 tracks, but again, I don't know how I'll feel by the time it's over.

Esch

Banned
Don't really give a shit about Ross being a fraud. It's 2014 brehs, authenticity isn't important in music anymore. I think he has great delivery and picks dope beats, basically he makes bangers. He's never going to ever make a classic album, but he has some great songs and makes good street shit. He also flows pretty decent for a trap rapper. He's like our era's equivalent of a Fab, Jadakiss, etc. No classics but i'll definitely check him out when he shows up like he should.

But he has a good ear for beats and features
Pretty much. At least you know you're getting good production going into a Ross album.

It's 2014 and Ross is still rapping about selling Coke when he was the one making sure the real coke dealers were taking their baths on time.

There are usually a handful of tracks of Ross' I return to (Free Mason's and Audio Meth are two that come to mind) but after a few listens of his album and finding that it was alright and I enjoyed it for what it was, I leave it alone and tend to not return to it.

I don't think anybody's accusing Ross of being a pioneer or a pillar of hip-hop, or a rap god. Dude has a pretty good thing going for him. He's found a lane he thrives in and just stays in it.

Don't really give a shit about Ross being a fraud. It's 2014 brehs, authenticity isn't important in music anymore. I think he has great delivery and picks dope beats, basically he makes bangers. He's never going to ever make a classic album, but he has some great songs and makes good street shit. He also flows pretty decent for a trap rapper. He's like our era's equivalent of a Fab, Jadakiss, etc. No classics but i'll definitely check him out when he shows up like he should.

Teflon Don is basically a classic album due to its impact/influence. It's really damn good.

I was sold on Ross shortly after Deeper Than Rap came out. I saw a positive NY Times review, then an old head friend of mine said it had some great tracks. I got it and lo and behold it was solid; nearly all the ladies tracks were trash, but that smooth cruising shit (Rich Off Cocaine) was great.

GFID was very disappointing, haven't heard Mastermind.

exarkun

Pretty much. At least you know you're getting good production going into a Ross album.

It's 2014 and Ross is still rapping about selling Coke when he was the one making sure the real coke dealers were taking their baths on time.

LOL this is true, cold blooded.

Yea I agree with Artful, hes found a nice niche in the mainstream. Its not that hes a rap genius, its just I can't imagine people not enjoying his shit in their car.

And how do you listen to alot of conscious rap? I got a point years ago where I was like if I read a book or take a throwaway class in college like "minorities and the penal system" (it was interesting!) its better than listening to some 20 year old use a line alluding to Emerson or Sam Beckett.

Only a quarter way through but holy shit Rozay this is what I wanted
Hopefully the rest of the album holds up

i'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that we all got way too hyped for Q
Never trust a man that doesn't cut his nails - Socrates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom