• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was listenin to Q last night and got frustrated so I impulse bought Control System and Step Brothers 2 hoping to get some damned satisfaction. I really like both a ton. Stuck Oxy and those 2 on a playlist and hit random on the way to work today and the random god played zero Q. I did not miss him. Starlito is the shit imho.
Welcome to the team

Grzi

Ross can't rap for shit and has no substance at all. Dude talks about the same shit pretty much on every track. Not to mention that he's possibly the biggest fraud in all of Hip Hop.

So when people say they don't fuck with Ross, it's pretty understandable breh.

?
Technically (flow, delivery) Ross is a great rapper, like, you really need to lack an understanding of rapping ability to say stuff like that. I mean, come on, it's not even funny the way people keep giving the fat guy shit for lying in his rhymes lol. What are you, fifteen years old? Does a musician need to be your role model and have integrity? Jesus fucking Christ, I understand complaints about his content being samey and shit, but still, if the way he does it is on point, there's no reason to hate. And the execution is on point, Ross makes great albums, his stuff sounds hot, yet people still hate.
It's funny, because it's obvious it's all about image with you, being a Q fan, and him representing the "true artists" in hip hop, being a motherfucking bum and a crackhead, but hey, at least it's real, right? At least the homie doesn't lie about it, who cares if he can't rap for shit, has a lousy ear for beats and doesn't know how to construct an album. He's real, he must be a good rapper by default, unlike Ross, who lied, so it's pretty much guaranteed he can't rap.

Ross can spit better than 90% of the rappers out there, from a TECHNICAL standpoint, if you don't see it, and think that Q is a better MC than Rawse, you have a problem son.

So yes, in 2014, it's not understandable that people don't fuck with Ross. Unless they're dumb kids.

Esch

Banned
?
Technically (flow, delivery) Ross is a great rapper, like, you really need to lack an understanding of rapping ability to say stuff like that. I mean, come on, it's not even funny the way people keep giving the fat guy shit for lying in his rhymes lol. What are you, fifteen years old? Does a musician need to be your role model and have integrity? Jesus fucking Christ, I understand complaints about his content being samey and shit, but still, if the way he does it is on point, there's no reason to hate. And the execution is on point, Ross makes great albums, his stuff sounds hot, yet people still hate.
It's funny, because it's obvious it's all about image with you, being a Q fan, and him representing the "true artists" in hip hop, being a motherfucking bum and a crackhead, but hey, at least it's real, right? At least the homie doesn't lie about it, who cares if he can't rap for shit, has a lousy ear for beats and doesn't know how to construct an album. He's real, he must be a good rapper by default, unlike Ross, who lied, so it's pretty much guaranteed he can't rap.

Ross can spit better than 90% of the rappers out there, from a TECHNICAL standpoint, if you don't see it, and think that Q is a better MC than Rawse, you have a problem son.

So yes, in 2014, it's not understandable that people don't fuck with Ross. Unless they're dumb kids.

Hahaha damn you went in. Its on point though. I dont get people saying rawse can't rap either. Hes a B rapper but cmon.

injurai

Banned
Tried listening to Oxy again and fell asleep. Woke up on Man aid The Year and realized I had missed a few tracks. Will try again tomorrow.

Los Awesome and Collard Greens back to back is just a horrible fucking idea.

It's was a horrific idea, the entire album composition. Half the album is an anti-thesis to not only the singles, but to the sounds in HnC that put Q on the map.

I would have released it as a double EP

1a. Gangsta
2a. Collard Greens
3a. Hoover Street
4a. Prescription

1b. Oxymoron
2b. Blind Threats
3b. Break the Bank
4b. Man of the year

Grzi

Hahaha damn you went in. Its on point though. I dont get people saying rawse can't rap either. Hes a B rapper but cmon.

Yeah, this I agree with, he's far from amazing, but saying he's bad shows a complete lack of objectivity, I don't know, it's unfair lol

So Ross stans do exist.

Never thought I'd see the day tbh.

Nah, you got me confused with Ken Masters. It's all good though, I didn't think you'd have anything worthy to add to the discussion.

As a someone who was looking forward to Oxymoron a lot I can say Mastermind is a wayyy better project didn't think Ross had it in him after GFID was a derivative of Teflon Don.

I've never heard a Ross verse that's had me like damn, I gotta replay that verse or he killed that verse. I'll admit that he's charismatic on the mic, but that's about it.

He can make good sounding music, but as a rapper/lyricist nah

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I had written off Ross a long ass time ago. But dudes, this is straight up AOTY right now. I dunno. Something about the sequencing and the bass lines used makes this shit more than if you took it track by track. Yeezy even remembers he's a rapper.

I've never heard a Ross verse that's had me like damn, I gotta replay that verse or he killed that verse. I'll admit that he's charismatic on the mic, but that's about it.

Charisma is at least 1/4th of what a rapper should be anyway. Besides, I can think of a couple of Teflon Don that had me all wheeeeew. And that line with the chinchillas and black bottles in the winter time on this one is delivered nice as hell

Cudder

His verse on Pushas album was solid.

Fevaweva

I'm no stan, but man his verse on Kanye's Devil In A New Dress is FLAMES.

FLAMES I TELL YOU.

why do rappers put french on their album? didnt sell shit, album was weak and brings crap verses everytime
For real. Whenever I see French's name on somebody's tracklist it's an instaskip. Dude is GAHBAGE.

Also Ross' verse on Devil in a new dress shocked me. I remember being upset that Kanye put Ross on that track then being really surprised that it worked out so well.

Kanye does that though, dude can make Chief Keef listenable.

I LOOK IN MY FRIDGE... MY SHIT LOOKIN SCARCE...

tumblr_m9wr0wsX6E1qck1y2o1_500.gif

PBY

Banned
For real. Whenever I see French's name on somebody's tracklist it's an instaskip. Dude is GAHBAGE.

Also Ross' verse on Devil in a new dress shocked me. I remember being upset that Kanye put Ross on that track then being really surprised that it worked out so well.

Kanye does that though, dude can make Chief Keef listenable.

French kills it on what a shame

Esch

Banned

For a person that talks a lot about rapping ability and lyricism, I wonder how much attention you're paying? Ross is one of the few mainstream rappers in the game right now that's been giving us polysyllabic and internal rhymes for years now. He doesn't write about much besides crime, dope and pussy, but his actual technique is not mediocre at all by today's standard's, it's above average. Even so, he drops plenty of bars and entendres if you actually pay attention. It's not rappity rap shit, but he has bon mots.

You are a weird person. You shun people like Rick Ross and French based upon their lack of rapping ability/lyricism, but stan Schoolboy Q.

exarkun

Peterboy, doing work at the firm + lil Herb's At the Light has me wanting to just send the other side discovery requests from hell. Make em hire outside help to get that shit done in time type requests.

@Grzi:

Finished Mastermind. Probs better than Oxymoron but have to listen to both more.
Already a pretty good album but if you subtract the French Montana tracks it gets exponentially better.
I enjoyed most of the songs, minus Nobody and Blk & Wht (that hook man)

However, the only song I really disliked on Oxy was Los Awesome. I don't know. I guess it's a matter of expectations; super high for Q and non-existent for Rozay.

Esch

Banned
WHAT SHITTY HIP HOP FAN ARE YOU?

Some of the article made me laugh considering I know at least 1 person that fits into every category. Worth a quick glance.

TERRIBLE RICH HYPEBEASTS

Wow, these guys figured out the five elements of hip-hop were secretly Hood by Air, #BEEN TRILL#, Supreme deadstock, replacing vowels with X and V LVKX THXS, and rap songs where the chorus is just the same dumb, menacing phrase repeated a million times in a row. In other news, Trap Lord has been in stores since August 20th.

Hahaha, peterb0y just got ethered.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ross can have a lot of presence on the right track, shit like No Games and Hold Me Back gets me so hyped. His voice isn't exactly graceful but it's pretty damn powerful at times.

Also, I'm on the side that doesn't care about the authenticity of his character. It's an act, who cares? It's entertainment. It doesn't at all impact whether or not I enjoy his music. If anything, his ridiculous, over the top machismo is part of the fun of his music.

HiResDes

As the year goes by only those in denial or delusion will still be talking about Oxymoron, if you bought a pack of M80s and only a third of them shits went off and banged would you go and cop that bull again?

As the year goes by only those in denial or delusion will still be talking about Oxymoron, if you bought a pack of M80s and only a third of them shits went off and banged would you go and cop that bull again?

It's not an AOTY contender that much is clear lol (unfortunately)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

No, I'd throw it in the garbage and piss on it, just in case one of those duds accidently went off. Sort of what I did with Oxy.

Btw, WTB new PC.

overcast

I'm not sure I can get into Ross still. I listened to the first three tracks and it's kinda in one ear out the other. Beats are nice, I just feel like I've heard these same Ross songs for the past 5 years.

Sanctified is great, crazy hype. I'll start up the album again, I was tired as hell when I tried.

Esch

Banned
This weeknd track really aint shit. ugh.

Standouts are War Ready, Devil Is a Lie, Mafia Music III , Walkin on Air, Nobody, Blessing in Disguise, What a Shame, You Know I Got It, I Wonder Why, No Games.

trash: Thug Cry.

I guess people are just French haters.
j1GFtuTWP8odH.png
all of you.

This weeknd track really aint shit. ugh.

Standouts are War Ready, Devil Is a Lie, Mafia Music III , Walkin on Air, Nobody, Blessing in Disguise, What a Shame, You Know I Got It, I Wonder Why, No Games.

trash: Thug Cry.

I guess people are just French haters.
j1GFtuTWP8odH.png
all of you.

I liked In Vein. Although I'll concede im a stan.
And I'm not really a hater but I don't see the obsession with having him on hooks.
Thug Cry I didn't hate, which surprised me haha.
I agree with most of your picks though, except for Nobody, cmon man blasphemous lol

edit: for the record, I just hate French on the hook and the fact they used that beat on Nobody. Ross was ok

overcast

Dead End Hip Hop put up their review of Oxy and I think I agree with Myke/Beezy. Somewhere around there opinion wise.

Of course we're concluding Q dropped the worst project of the year. There are probably 5 tracks that I love on there, but they'll be in rotation a while.

Any bonus track above 15 are completely unnecessary.

Esch

Banned
I agree with most of your picks though, except for Nobody, cmon man blasphemous lol

edit: for the record, I just hate French on the hook and the fact they used that beat on Nobody. Ross was ok

Biggie died 17 years ago bruh. it's okay to flip his songs.

Fevaweva

I listened to that new Diddy song featuring Rick Ross. I dunno about it really but I loved some of Diddy's lyrics. This one in particular:

"I'm the only one topping forbes, getting lonely" is kinda cool.

I do find myself trying to like Rick Ross, but some of his music just really doesn't do anything for me. I did really like his Rich Forever mixtape and Mastermind is good as well, but most of his work doesn't really stay with me. I will always have respect for Ross for making it past the 50 bullshit, and making it big as a rapper who's not really all that marketable.

I'll be honest though, when a lot of trap music started getting really popular and when people like Ross was on the come up and Wayne killing the industry, I wasn't really into trap. I still wouldn't really say I am now, but during that time I was in my 'Stuck in the 90's' stage. So when Teflon Don came out, that was the first Ross project I heard and thought it was straight trash. I really didn't care for that type of music and Lex Luger type beats. It's probably why I have a bias against Ross' music and trap in general, but I've only grown to like trap over the last few years. My comeback to Ross' music was Rich Forever, which I liked; then listened to GFID which only had one track I liked which was Hold me back.

I was never really into music from the South (except a few artists) until more recently, because when they were exploding, I wasn't really hearing none of that. So here I am now, feeling LTTP on trap and just not really feeling a lot of it.

My taste in music has changed a lot over the last few years though. I've become a lot more acceptable to all different types of sub genres of Hip-Hop. I've went from stanning Cole and shunning dudes like Ferg, to giving albums like Trap Lord a thumbs up and Born Sinner a thumbs down.

Even though I've been stanning Q, I'll admit that his album isn't that good and didn't reach expectations. I'm not being delusional about it and probably won't put this album in my top 10 at the end of the year unless this year is full of lacklustre albums.

Also I can't STAND French Montana. From his voice, flow, his annoying ad-lib (HAAAAAAAN), everything. Dude is straight garbage and I'm happy his album didn't sell shit because it didn't deserve too. I actually listened to that shit and the mixtape before it. Recycle bin classics.

Would've explained myself better earlier but I was on my phone at work posting.

overcast

Pretty much in line exactly with what you said Count. I cut Cole and Lupe off despite eating up what they were about, more than anything. Trap has become more prevalent in my group, though at times it can be overplayed, so I have to mix it up.

Kanye has been constant since I was a child, god bless his soul.

For me, French Montana is only okay in small doses.

On the Work remix I love his verse and everything but I could never imagine myself listening to an album full of that shit.

Then again, I still haven't tried out the Harry Fraud + French Montana shit so possibly I'm just talking out of my ass for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom