• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Well, I'm about to do Mardi Gras again. Soulard, 2nd biggest one in the country.

drago-ifhedieshedies.jpg

effzee

MMLP2-deluxe.jpg

I got a feeling if I posted this in an Off topic rap thread, I'd get eaten alive.

Why? There were a lot of people in the MMLP2 official thread who hated the album. The Off Topic isn't some Eminem stan zone/forum.

Anyway been out of the loop but like most people Mastermind is a pleasant surprise. I never ever got into Ross and never cared enough to sit through a full album of his but this is good.

But War Ready doesn't work for me at all. Alone on that?

Oxy moron is average. Nothing great but nothing awful either. Not every album is going to be AOTY, GOAT, CLASSIC so we just need to appreciate it for what it is. Some decent to great songs, rest "meh".

What's the initial word on the Pharell album? That one song I heard with Miley is horrible.

Q Admits to making Compromises for Oxymoron

On Oxymoron, Q had to compromise for the first time. He’d planned on only one radio-friendly song on the album, jamming the rest of the track list with his raw goods. But Interscope demanded three singles before he could get the green light — which, perhaps, is why it’s taken more than two years since Habits & Contradictions for Oxymoron to see release....“I mean, I still wrote the songs, so of course I still like them,” he says. “But this is what I signed up for. Major artists don’t just sign a deal to keep doing independent shit. [Maybe] I thought I was just gonna be able to slip through the cracks. It didn’t work like that.”

That's probably why shit like Hell of a Night made the album

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
MMLP2-deluxe.jpg

I got a feeling if I posted this in an Off topic rap thread, I'd get eaten alive.
Holy shit, this is beautiful. If there was a reason to post it over there, I would.

Q having to compromise isn't surprising. I'd have been more surprised if he didn't and managed to sneak through a HnC part deux after KDot and TDE being on every ones mind watching what they do next.

Maybe next time he has to do this shit he can use those skills he learned in songwriting classes, him and black hippy supposedly took.

overcast

Maybe they learned that Q and TDE will move units on brand name and hype alone, allowing Q to release an album I can actually really like without hitting skip too many times?

Does Jay Rock really have fans like that tho? Being "on" in Cali almost certainly guarantees 50k albums in a week but I can't see Jay Rock doing what Q just did (nearly 200k).

Idk, he's got the TDE crew, and if he's got Tech N9ne on the album too, he'll dip into the Strange Music fandom. I don't really expect it to go plat or anything, I just know if it caught on, it wouldn't seem too far out of left field for me.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I keep telling ya'll, Dre has Jay Rock in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and he's going to release him to save the West.

Eleuin

CyHi tape is so good, too bad a FLAC release will never happen

Think its been said but Datpiff can go ead with all their tagging

CRS

You can remove Datpiff's tagging by coverting the ID3 tags to a lower version like 1.0, deleting the info you don't want, and then reverting them to 2.4.

It's a bit of a pain in the ass but worth it in the long run. Especially if you're OCD about your music library.

Jitters

Punk > Metal
Jazz > Classical

Punk and metal are both chaotic, but metal's overall texture is extremely annoying. Ridiculous vocals and rapid fire drums. Annoyingly complex playing that lacks any type of life. LAME

Punk had life.

Jazz doesn't have those sappy ass strings. Sure you could say its masturbatory at times, but there is such an adventurous spirit in jazz.

Do you guyz agree or disagree?
VC42vmZ.gif
VC42vmZ.gif
VC42vmZ.gif

Punk > Metal
Jazz > Classical

Punk and metal are both chaotic, but metal's overall texture is extremely annoying. Ridiculous vocals and rapid fire drums. Annoyingly complex playing that lacks any type of life. LAME

Punk had life.

Jazz doesn't have those sappy ass strings. Sure you could say its masturbatory at times, but there is such an adventurous spirit in jazz.

Do you guyz agree or disagree?
VC42vmZ.gif
VC42vmZ.gif
VC42vmZ.gif

I enjoy Classical music alot but I do prefer Jazz, and Punk music was (probably still is) a huge influence on me. It's that "do it yourself", "Fuck the man" attitude that drew me to hip-hop initially. So I'd agree.

overcast

Can't say anything about metal or punk, because I'm not well versed enough. Same with classical and jazz, but I enjoy Jazz quite a bit in general, where classical is honestly less interesting for me.

big ander

I listen to more jazz than I do classical, and a ton more punk than I do metal, but I still wouldn't call one genre automatically better than another I don't think.

I've heard some cool drone and doom metal over the past year or so, and I've found black metal the easiest to get into. though I guess the black metal I've been trying out is heavily punk-influenced or even just "blackened punk", like Raspberry Bulbs from last year.

Detox

140301092606453185.jpg

50 confronts Steve Stoute. 50 back? Hope he gets his hunger back the game is missing someone with his (old?) mindset. You got Kendrick saying its just friendly competition, Ferg like why not? 50 lays it out straight.

Though I think Steve made a salient point when he said he wished candy shop wasn't a hit because it made 50 keep churning out similar songs rather than branching out.

50 confronts Steve Stoute. 50 back? Hope he gets his hunger back the game is missing someone with his (old?) mindset. You got Kendrick saying its just friendly competition, Ferg like why not? 50 lays it out straight.

Though I think Steve made a salient point when he said he wished candy shop wasn't a hit because it made 50 keep churning out similar songs rather than branching out.

Why do they have a problem again ?

Detox

In his recent interview with the breakfast club Stoute said what I mentioned earlier, 50 never thanks him (for setting up the reebok deal) or anyone and 50 hasn't had a hit since 07.

50 Cent has always been thin skinned. He can analyze others, to the point of dehumanizing them, but when the lens is shined on him he gets upset. Let's be real: 50 Cent, as an artist, is completely irrelevant in 2014 (in the US, I don't give a shit about G-Unit stans in Poland). Stoute was 100% right.

He was unable to adapt to the mid aughts southern ringtone rap phase, he hasn't adapted to the trap shit, nor has he found a lane in the more...vulnerable conscious shit going on. There really isn't a large hunger for NY gangster rap anymore, especially not the type that 50 made. And I think people tired of his pop rap singles. In Da Club was one of his only club records, and the rest of his singles for 3+ albums were lubby dubby shit.

He's done. I think the real reason he won't release an album is because he spent half a decade bragging album album sales, discussing market trends, explaining why such-and-such's first week sales were trash, etc...that he's afraid of releasing an album that sells <160k in the first week.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
50 is super smart to have jumped on songs like Down On Me and (less so) Toot It And Boot It. It wasn't enough to carry his dominance in the mainstream but it let people know he still exists and is still a force.

Unfortunately, his solo stuff hasn't had any smashes since then. Before I Self Destruct was pretty much the logical evolution of the raw/gutter 50 people wanted without it sounding too new money, which has pretty much been what the core has been asking from 50, but even that got dismissed. Then 50 went even further in that direction and it started sounding even more new money somehow and got worse reactions. Then we had Major Distribution and the New Day fuck up and it's been all bad luck since. I really liked New Day too.

Detox

I just want that power of the dollar type shit, is 50 the guy to do it? Maybe though it's unlikely, somebody else needs to step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom