• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
50 never really had the lyricism to carry himself past his early "Get Rich or Die Trying" persona, and he lacked the introspection (or at least the openness about it) to make him interesting to listen to as his career evolved.

Even Hov, who is notoriously secretive in personal matters, has opened up about aspects of his life at various times. And I say that, considering I have actually really enjoyed 50s music and I enjoyed BISD, but I don't think he'll ever return to the mainstream success he's had before.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
50 never really had the lyricism to carry himself past his early "Get Rich or Die Trying" persona, and he lacked the introspection (or at least the openness about it) to make him interesting to listen to as his career evolved.

Even Hov, who is notoriously secretive in personal matters, has opened up about aspects of his life at various times. And I say that actually really enjoying 50s music and I enjoyed BISD, but I don't think he'll ever return to the mainstream success he's had before.
Agree with this entire post.

Detox

The game is missing an aggressive, energetic voice. You got people going crazy over worst behaviour and stuff like that reverse gun line, control because whenever rappers raise their voice now it's aimless. Shit is weak.

I was hoping voices like Jay Rock, Nipsey Hussle, Pill and Gibbs would be those aggressive voices that Hip-Hop should have...but like

Jay Rock made 1 album is going to have to "tone down the anger" for his next one.

Nipsey Hussle is finally getting back into a music Groove

Pill was just promoting his mixtape from two years ago on his twitter

Gibbs is probably blackballed from the radio, which is fine cause he'll just keep making solid music but he won't have that mainstream success that 50 or DMX had in their primes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The game is missing an aggressive, energetic voice. You got people going crazy over worst behaviour and stuff like that reverse gun line, control because whenever rappers raise their voice now it's aimless. Shit is weak.
I thought you were a Jeezy stan.

I do think the game pretty much hasn't recovered since X fell off though, at least in this respect.

Detox

Part of me wants Nas to make some type of NY is dead album, just some gully, gutter, grimey shit. Give a heads up NY is still the mecca and no more sappy music. It doesn't have to be over boom bap but the lyrics have to be the type of shit that makes your soul burn slow. The thing is he is 40 and probably doesn't care.

Yeah I am Jeezy stan and he delivers I need a new voice tbh so the above doesn't make sense except I want to hear the God MC go supersaiyan.

Part of me wants Nas to make some type of NY is dead album, just some gully, gutter, grimey shit. Give a heads up NY is still the mecca and no more sappy music. It doesn't have to be over boom bap but the lyrics have to be the type of shit that makes your soul burn slow. The thing is he is 40 and probably doesn't care.

Plus who'd he get to produce it Nas usually suck's at picking beats.

Rick Ross

kttcoliahh

Ohhh shiiiit...

A Tribute to Black Dynamite - The Unofficial Mixtape
artworks-000071146431-vosadr-t500x500.jpg

Inspired by the genius of the film “Black Dynamite” and the subsequent show “Black Dynamite - The Animated Series”
Produced by Fatin-(Jamla Records Soul Council)

"In the same way we as producers flip samples, I have “flipped the show”, telling the pilot story of Black Dynamite and his battle with “That Frog Curtis” with a backdrop of hip-hop. The stellar artists that contributed to the project are also fans of the Black Dynamite brand and excited to lend their creative expression to the storytelling experience. Here’s hoping that you enjoy listening as much as I enjoyed creating it.” Features include: Pharoahe Monch, Jean Grae, Rapsody, Big Remo, GQ, Torae, HaLo, Thee Tom Hardy, Sean Boog, Sundown of Actual Proof, Mela Machinko and SkyZoo.

Tracklisting:

1. Introducing Dynamite (featuring GQ)
2. Chicago Wind (featuring HaLo and Thee Tom Hardy)
3. STFU (Shut The F*ck Up) (featuring Torae)
4. PimpDaddySupaNigga (featuring GQ, HaLo, Big Remo)
5. Answers (featuring Big Remo)
6. Kung Fu Practice (featuring Sean Boog, Sundown of Actual Proof, GQ)
7. Hustler (Puppet Street) (featuring Pharoahe Monch, MeLa Machinko)
8. That King Pimp Curtis (featuring Big Remo)
9. New Black Love (featuring Rapsody, MeLa Machinko)
10. Cool De La (featuring Skyzoo)
11. Shot! (featuring Jean Grae)

All songs Produced by Fatin “10” Horton for Placed Sons Creative, Inc. and The Soul Council

Recording and Editing Engineers: Chris Boerner and Fatin “10” Horton

Mix Engineer: Chris Boerner

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Monch why are you rapping on that beat son? What are you doing?

That shit hurts my heart.

I think if Rakim got a solid exec producer to pick out beats, and let him do what he does, and pick up some badass features...it could be a real solid album...as oppose to Seventh Seal which got me excited after that single with Maino dropped but like the rest of the album was weak production wise.

Rakim Ft. Truth Hurts - After You Died Prod. By Dr. Dre

That's supposedly a leak from his Aftermath Days...

To me the frustrating thing is that there are so many dope producers who don't reach out to older artists. In rock there are so many cases of artists getting their heroes to do collabs - a somewhat recent (good) example is Them Crooked Vultures: Josh Homme and Dave Grohl getting John Paul Jones, one of the greatest bassists in rock, to do an album with them.

Questlove did a pretty good album with Al Green a few years, but I always wonder why he hasn't done something with Rakim or Kane. Then there are guys like Apollo Brown who would no doubt put out a great album with Rakim. What about Damu The Fudgemunk. It just frustrates me as a fan.

overcast

Why does Aston Matthews sound so familiar?

Amen is dope, who's Larry Fisherman again?

I'm ready for new material, cause Mastermind fell through. It's nice sounding, shit bumps, but it just sounds expensive and kind of typical Ross album. Didn't excel past "okay" to me, not bad or anything.

Esch

Banned
Punk > Metal
Jazz > Classical

Punk and metal are both chaotic, but metal's overall texture is extremely annoying. Ridiculous vocals and rapid fire drums. Annoyingly complex playing that lacks any type of life. LAME

Punk had life.

Jazz doesn't have those sappy ass strings. Sure you could say its masturbatory at times, but there is such an adventurous spirit in jazz.

Do you guyz agree or disagree?
VC42vmZ.gif
VC42vmZ.gif
VC42vmZ.gif
Wrong about everything as usual.

coldvein

Banned
its pretty tough to just say "metal" and have it mean much of anything. such a variety there.

same with punk.

or most genres of music.

Life Is Good proved that Nas really needs an exec producer to guide him. When he has that, as he did on Life Is Good and IWW, he makes good music. Every noteworthy producer wants to work with him, he shouldn't be tied to one guy (ie Salaam Remi) constantly.

I'd love to see him work with Justice League again, No ID, but also bring in some other people. Jake One has been on a roll for awhile, I'd love to see him do a track with Nas. Hell to be honest, I want Rick Ross to exec produce Nas' next album. That lush production is perfect for him, and nearly every track Ross and Nas have done together has been great. Ross picking beats, Nas rhyming...let's go.

Oxymoron leaves much to be desired, so I ended up revisiting HnC. *whew* Restored my faith in Q. I hope he doesn't compromise as much on the next release. Gangsta Q is boring. I miss the old druggy Q.

Mastermind passes the whip test, but I will likely only keep "In Vein" and "Sanctified" in my rotation. I'm over the sterile Ross sound and Ross's over-saturated presence in general. The Maybach Music tags still kill me tho.

Has anyone checked out the new Kool & Kass tape? Will report back with impressions after listening.

Esch

Banned
So you are Metal > Punk Classical > Jazz. Why?
VC42vmZ.gif

I mean basically you're making generalizations that are stupid from the get go. I don't think anything is really better than anything, but if you're panning extreme metal for vocals and drum patterns and praising punk, you're basically just an uneducated moron. Grind and crust punk are the foundation of the vocals and instrumentals in extreme metal you don't like. Even the basic fan knows this. Why are you commenting on things you don't know about?

Jitters

I mean basically you're making generalizations that are stupid from the get go. I don't think anything is really better than anything, but if you're panning extreme metal for vocals and drum patterns and praising punk, you're basically just an uneducated moron. Grind and crust punk are the foundation of the vocals and instrumentals in extreme metal you don't like. Even the basic fan knows this. Why are you commenting on things you don't know about?

I just wanted to know if you guys had any preference. Not what is objectively better.
VC42vmZ.gif

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'd listen to the Punk Classical genre.

jitters is what happens when blackace is gone

Esch

Banned
I just wanted to know if you guys had any preference. Not what is objectively better.
VC42vmZ.gif

Okay, well I don't have any preference between classical and jazz, I like both for different reasons. I do strongly prefer metal over punk though; it's tends to be philosophical in aim as opposed to punk's rejection of society and politics, is generally better composed, and throughout it's history has largely subsumed the instrumentally provocative parts of punk music.... That's just me though.

Jitters

You guys are always so cranky.
VC42vmZ.gif

Okay, well I don't have any preference between classical and jazz, I like both for different reasons. I do strongly prefer metal over punk though; it's tends to be philosophical in aim as opposed to punk's rejection of society and politics, is generally better composed, and throughout it's history has largely subsumed the instrumentally provocative parts of punk music.... That's just me though.

Now was that so bad? Good answer.

overcast

Oxymoron leaves much to be desired, so I ended up revisiting HnC. *whew* Restored my faith in Q. I hope he doesn't compromise as much on the next release. Gangsta Q is boring. I miss the old druggy Q.
Has to be a balance. Need more ridiculous lines in the next one. Druggys is great for that.

90% of punk is like 00s back pack rap. Little musical value, repetitive, and not well written.

the other 10% is catchy shit like Blink 182. Fun but not impressive
bkoa.png

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
nah, there's like 5% of the genre that is groundbreaking classic shit.

but then yea 85% shit

10% blink 182 fun.

Has to be a balance. Need more ridiculous lines in the next one. Druggys is great for that.

For sure. More "There He Go" less "The Purge," plz Q.

Speaking of ridiculous lines, check out the Kool & Kass tape.

"Coke Boys 5" brings the signature smoked-out stream-of-conscious delivery and witty wordplay you'd expect from a Kool A.D. release while commenting on the current state of the industry, with constant Maybach Music/DJ Khaled tag drops, absurd ad-libs, references (including the title itself), and remixes of "Started From the Bottom" and "UOENO."

Glad to see that Kool is still working and further distancing his self from Das Racist. Worth a DL brehs.

Esch

Banned
You guys are always so cranky.
VC42vmZ.gif

Now was that so bad? Good answer.

well if you'd been partying for 12 hours straight and you saw someone bagging thoughtlessly on one of your favorite genres you'd feel some type of way too >:[

Punk is cool, but I never identified with it. Even in my teenage years I found it's puerile and naive rejection of society mad flimsy. It's just not really for me. Occasionally I would find grind/hard/crust with some swag and chops that I'd enjoy; but it was acknowledged to me that punk never really touched the heights of metal. Then again, I'm a rehabilitated theoryboy, and punk is about emotion and chaos. Not really about making interesting music.

Jitters

well if you'd been partying for 12 hours straight and you saw someone bagging thoughtlessly on one of your favorite genres you'd feel some type of way too >:[

Punk is cool, but I never identified with it. Even in my teenage years I found it's puerile and naive rejection of society mad flimsy. It's just not really for me. Occasionally I would find grind/hard/crust with some swag and chops that I'd enjoy; but it was acknowledged to me that punk never really touched the heights of metal. Then again, I'm a rehabilitated theoryboy, and punk is about emotion and chaos. Not really about making interesting music.

I think thats why I like it. Metal is obviously more complex compositionally , but I want the EMOTION. A lot of music theory nuts are into metal. So I get that.

Esch

Banned
I think thats why I like it. Metal is obviously more complex compositionally , but I want the EMOTION. A lot of music theory nuts are into metal. So I get that.

What punk is essentially is taking the aesthetic and spirit of rock music culture and distilling it down to it's essence; the rebelliousness, the noise, the energy, the anticulture, everything. If that's what you want, that's fine. But I'd rather listen to music that is ambitious musically rather than culturally, if that makes sense. (obviously plenty of metal is staid trash).

Edit: also what you said about metal and classical irks the fuck out of me. There is plenty of metal and classical that is about atmosphere and feeling rather than precise or technical instrumentalism. Just pure bullshit.you can't tell me albums like Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, The Red in The Sky is Ours, etc are about precision uber alles.

What punk is essentially is taking the aesthetic and spirit of rock music culture and distilling it down to it's essence; the rebelliousness, the noise, the energy, the anticulture, everything. If that's what you want, that's fine. But I'd rather listen to music that is ambitious musically rather than culturally, if that makes sense. (obviously plenty of metal is staid trash).

Not all punk is like that, but yeah alot of punk bands are like that.

For sure. More "There He Go" less "The Purge," plz Q.

Speaking of ridiculous lines, check out the Kool & Kass tape.

"Coke Boys 5" brings the signature smoked-out stream-of-conscious delivery and witty wordplay you'd expect from a Kool release while commenting on the current state of the industry, with constant Maybach Music/DJ Khaled tag drops, absurd ad-libs, references (including the title itself), and remixes of "Started From the Bottom" and "UOENO."

Glad to see that he's still working and further distancing his self from Das Racist. Worth a DL brehs.
i already said I like this, but more people need to get this

Esch

Banned
Not all punk is like that, but yeah alot of punk bands are like that.
Well the noise and energy thing is simplifying things a bit. It can obviously be about amplyifing and embodying the depressive and cultural ennui aspects of rock music as well. But I still feel that its a mentality more than a straight musically defined genre. Its about a couple bros with no chops or some chops making loud music in garages. Its not supposed to be complex.

You play D3? I've been looking for a reason to play my copy, despite being gifted it when it came out.
I came back today after quitting more than a year ago. Just testing the big new patch out, and getting ready for the expansion.

Btw Esch convinced me to make a Tinder account. Shit seems kinda invasive, I hate having to use my Facebook for it even though it says it will never post anything on it. And I also realized my pics are so boring compared to all the chicks. Makes me want to look at the dudes' pics to see how I stack up, but I don't want a bunch of local gay dudes to see my face lmao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom