• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jay Z isn't holding Elec back. I refuse to believe he signed Elec with the same expectations he has for J Cole and other artists, ie getting a radio single or else. Jay Elec isn't going to be on 106 and Park or have chicks scream his name outside MTV offices. He was trending on twitter last night with another song that has no drums or chorus. He does his own thing.

Not expecting an album this year, but again that isn't Hov's fault. I get the impression Elec has some type of mental issue. It's not just laziness or him being shy, there's something about his eccentrics that seems off. Like, a regular homeless guy doesn't go from trash can dumping to banging a billionaire. There's something about this guy.

codhand

As the rapper Kanye West, whose “Yeezus” tour was inspired by “The Holy Mountain,” put it last November to a packed (and very likely perplexed) house at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center: “I don’t know if . . . y’all ever heard about Jodorowsky, the director. . . . Y’all don’t know who the [expletive] he is. . . . Everybody copied off him. . . . And there’s gonna be [expletives] in this arena in a few months dancing all sloppy off him.”

As the rapper Kanye West, whose “Yeezus” tour was inspired by “The Holy Mountain,” put it last November to a packed (and very likely perplexed) house at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center: “I don’t know if . . . y’all ever heard about Jodorowsky, the director. . . . Y’all don’t know who the [expletive] he is. . . . Everybody copied off him. . . . And there’s gonna be [expletives] in this arena in a few months dancing all sloppy off him.”

Jodorowsky's amazing. It's funny that Kanye's into him.

big ander

Start the campaign to get Ye to star in the El Topo sequel, wearing the diamond mask of course

Wakin up to new Jay Elec good lord

Esch I was gonna say listen to My Krazy Life already but I realized you're listening to Pinata so that's a good excuse.
Shitsville still a lowkey highlight of the album. (and Lakers, and Real, and...)

DeadTsar

Not expecting an album this year, but again that isn't Hov's fault.
Yep its Hovs fault Jay E didnt capitalize on his hype with the exhibits and sprite commercial

Didn't Questlove explicitly say that Jay Electronica handed his album in to Jay Z in 2012?
And that Jay loves it and bumps it constantly but won't release it without a single?

Or did I imagine that? (seriously I'm not sure if did)

Didn't Questlove explicitly say that Jay Electronica handed his album in to Jay Z in 2012?
And that Jay loves it and bumps it constantly but won't release it without a single?

Maybe Jay-Z pays Jay Electronica stupid money to just release albums exclusively to him.

Something along the lines of that, but Just Blaze said he has the FULL album on his phone and that Jay Elec won't release it because he keep making changes

Esch

Banned

Nah. Jay Harmonica is an emotional drunk hobo type dude. If Hov was genuinely holding him back and he wanted to move forward, he would have had a meltdown already.

Both quotes are true. Questlove said above wants a single, Just Blaze said Elec keeps changing things. But I respect Hov's business acumen too much to believe he thinks a fat dark skinned dude with fucked up teeth and a horrible stutter is going to be marketable to the mainstream. If that was the plan he would have had Elec doing guest verses on big records including MCHG.

I believe the album is largely done but Elec keeps changing things, as Just Blaze said. The song he released yesterday used to be an acoustic track with a beautiful singing part.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiVSl0GuKVo

Esch

Banned
Esch I was gonna say listen to My Krazy Life already but I realized you're listening to Pinata so that's a good excuse.
Shitsville still a lowkey highlight of the album. (and Lakers, and Real, and...)

Actually I listened to it already. Its a good album, but its kinda missing some real quality rapping and features on it. Its kind of a shame it dropped when pinata did, because it's not a favorable transition for YG.

Im gonna do a track by track quick look soon for pinata.

codhand

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/18930-freddie-gibbs-and-madlib-pinata/

not usually a fan but this is spot on,

The way Gibbs uses that voice in the context of the production that deserves special attention here. Gibbs' acknowledged debt to 2Pac is paid back with a versatile, musical flow that seeps into and builds up the structure of the Madlib beats beneath it; his tendency to use the same intonation for both intricately tight-knit verses and simple, to-the-point hooks highlights just how skilled he is at both. He went in and challenged himself to rap fluidly over under-quantized drums and succeeds to the point where it feels like he snaps them into place himself. And that'd be noteworthy enough if this didn't double as some of Madlib's most inspired production since his Beat Konducta 00s—with Gibbs' deep resonance sinking into spaced-out synth-prog ("Bomb"; "Uno"), air-suspension glide R&B ("Robes"; "Shame"), and butterfly-knife-wielding splatter-flick funk ("Scarface"; "Real"). He even gets in the spirit of the comedic interstitial skits that're Madlib's stock in trade; while the blaxploitation dialogue and trailer snippets are fitting enough (and add some faded film-grain quality to the proceedings), the goofy kazoo-synth tag at the end of "Robes" where Gibbs mutters barbs aimed at industry-dependent fools is its own justification for the teamup on just about every level. It doesn't matter if Gibbs and Madlib were once considered artists playing to different audiences -- united in their uncompromising, independent-as-fuck visions, they put together something hardcore hip-hop heads on both sides should feel.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm 99% sure Just Blaze washed his hands clean of anything Jay Elec related for 1-2 years now. I don't think he's doing any tweaking or anything. Last I heard he's been heavy on the DJ tip, and only taking time out to do big singles. If the dude doesn't have time for Jay Z, he doesn't have time for Jay Elec.

I'm 99% sure Just Blaze washed his hands clean of anything Jay Elec related for 1-2 years now. I don't think he's doing any tweaking or anything. Last I heard he's been heavy on the DJ tip, and only taking time out to do big singles. If the dude doesn't have time for Jay Z, he doesn't have time for Jay Elec.

Actually he was working with Elec last year, "finishing up" the album.

Man just listening to Dear Moleskine again now.. those first couple bars brehs
kttcolito
shits hitting a little to close to home

Doms verse on Robes > Gibbs & Earl.

I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of Domo Genesis, but dude always goes hard in his verses. I got a feeling he gets hated mostly for being in Odd Future tho.

cdyhybrid

ScHoolboy Q ‏@ScHoolBoyQ 44s
IMA PASS OUT ON THIS TOUR ONEDAY I JUS HOPE YALL GET IT ON CAMARA!!!! I Neva passed out befo

Q pls

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Doms verse on Robes > Gibbs & Earl.

I'll be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of Domo Genesis, but dude always goes hard in his verses. I got a feeling he gets hated mostly for being in Odd Future tho.

If he stopped fucking around with OF and started dropping albums at that Curren$y rate he'd blow up in the scene. He'd be bigger on his own than connected with that crowd.

Esch

Banned
I think it's time to address the poop Gangsta Gibbs took on Jeezy
jHy98P2tHz1Cf.png

Straight to the facts, n*gga
I looked up to you, put that on my momma
Signed a deal with you and never asked you for a dollar
Cause I was down with CTE, plus I was getting cheese
I played my fuck ass contract, what the lick read?
Thought I'd say this shit cause you ain't man enough to come discuss it
You wanna be Jay-Z? N*gga you just a fucking puppet
jrOKyIU6qjHKo.png

Gary boys ain't 'bout talkin', so bitch I had to show ya
Don't make me expose you to those that don't know ya
Ran and said he the realest n*gga in it, motherfucker check it
But Ross had you scared to drop a diss record
No nuts, got the whole team looking weak
Guess that's why they ran up on you at the BET
j4qnLFu3GZNiU.png

L.A. red carpet, yeah, I was geeked
Couldn't take security, so we ain't take a seat
jbaniTIJfeio1S.png

I played the fool before, but yo a ho I'll never be
They searched that tour bus in Milwaukee, had that .44 with me
ESGN and to the end, I feed the killers
Pray the Lord'll take my breath before I be like this monkey n*gga
Just a whole lot of rapping, but no motherfucking action
Seen Gucci by himself while we was 30 deep at Magic
And you didn't bust a grape, was shook from the gate
It make it seem to me the gangsta shit you kick be fake
jbcdPUekfevsug.png

Cause all my enemies, I put them suckers in their place
So take them shades up of your eyes, and look me in my fucking face
Cause I'm a motherfucking rare breed
The last time you gonna see a bad guy like this again
Don't reproduce nothin' but evil seeds
I'm rapping and trapping and still ducking these F-E-D's
But BMF was sticking you for your fucking cheese
And yeah I know you sold the blow and whipped the hard
But underneath the fucking money you's a fucking mark
jpZIOS6WYrWh2.png

Take heed to my statements, because they might throw you
Don't make me expose you to those who don't know you
Bitch

jblSY8yl4LIlRg.png

Jeezy lawst. How many people are gonna openly call him a bitch?

Actually he was working with Elec last year, "finishing up" the album.

I seem to remember Blaze getting annoyed at people tweeting him asking about the album. Can't remember if I read that here or on KTT

And yea Gibbs went in on that track. Double-y bad that he basically says Jeezy aint as hard as Ross lol

overcast

ScHoolboy Q ‏@ScHoolBoyQ 44s
IMA PASS OUT ON THIS TOUR ONEDAY I JUS HOPE YALL GET IT ON CAMARA!!!! I Neva passed out befo

Q pls
Stay awake during my set though Q.

Think I'm gonna see Ferg with my friends. Flatbush opens. Should be a hype/aggressive concert, correct?

PBY

Banned
Stay awake during my set though Q.

Think I'm gonna see Ferg with my friends. Flatbush opens. Should be a hype/aggressive concert, correct?
Correct. Seent all of em. Flatbush is fun/very hype live- the problem is no one knows their songs or lyrics lol. They have their wheelhouse bangers that get people going tho.

Detox

Too bad Gibbs burned his bridge with Ross with that meaningless diss during his CTE days, or else he could be a nice MMG pick up.
Gibbs is never going to be signed by anyone with aspirations of signing to a major. Gibbs was getting hyped as the star next to Jeezy. There was no YG. The whole its tha world tape was being hyped for months and all signs pointed to it being a collaborative tape with Jeezy and Gibbs. They kept dragging it on for months shit was supposed to drop early in the year and it only came out in December. There must have been a lot of work trying to get a deal worked out but it looks like Gibbs was the sticking point. Soon as they stopped hyping up Gibbs, not sure when he was dropped exactly but within a couple of months Jeezy got the Atlantic deal, CTE was signed up, its tha world dropped etc.

As much as I wished for Gibbs to get that big contract money and team up with some of the bigger producers, I like him in this lane. Before CTE and after he's released alot more music, and his stuff with CTE either embarrassed Jeezy (Rough is a great example of that) or was lacking, his verses were either too short or it was trying to be more radio friendly.

He's touring with Tech N9ne so he'll get that strange music bump, but I really do like him staying in that independent record label lane and making quality music.

Edit: Jeezy was great as a feature on Twos and Fews (which is on Cold Day in Hell mixtape)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom