• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thing I don't understand about rappers not paying taxes is that they've all seen others get burned for it, all have accountants that handle their money and fill in gaps where they don't know shit, who, corrupt or not, live off of these guys' earning money so wouldn't explicitly sabotage dude's incomes.

So how the fuck does it happen? How stupid/ignorant do you have to be? Tyga is lucky he can sell his body to Birdman and become a boy toy to get $100k this time around, but not next time.

EDIT:

Nas performs "The World is Yours" at SXSW. Out of everything I've watched from SXSW, this seems like the deadest crowd. Even Sean doing his Sanctified verse had more people into it.

Action Bronson: Over/Under. dead @ Snapchat @PhoenixDark

Tassho Pearce ft. KiD CuDi - Satellites (Prod. by No I.D.). 3 years old, likely recorded at the MBDTF sessions.

Is anybody trustworthy in the industry? Tyga got fucked over by his accountant

That's why you be a drake and recruit your friends from college and shit (I'm assuming that's what he does)

Squalor

Is anybody trustworthy in the industry? Tyga got fucked over by his accountant

That's why you be a drake and recruit your friends from college and shit (I'm assuming that's what he does)
There are plenty of accountants who aren't going to screw you over. You just have to be willing to look for the right ones.

Bi8sSDpCMAEuOaG.jpg

A DUI, Driving with no license & no proof of insurance. Good thing he got money..
bad thing he's black

I'm biased but why are we blaming the accountant here, brehs? I'd be more apt to believe Tyga, and many other rappers, don't report a lot of their income and then get put on that Summer Jam screen by the IRS/media.

Squalor

I'm biased but why are we blaming the accountant here, brehs? I'd be more apt to believe Tyga, and many other rappers, don't report a lot of their income and then get put on that Summer Jam screen by the IRS/media.
I am 100% blaming Tyga and anyone else who allows this to happen.

He had too much money to let himself be that dumb.

thabiz

these guys would rather party than be fiscally responsible. nobody's problem but their own. if your accountant fleeces you, then its your fault. watch your fuckin money. dumbass's.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm sad to see Ebro go. However, dude simultaneously pissed off two different audiences. He trolled local acts by telling them openly that their music is wack. He'd bring them on shows and tell them why they suck. Ultimately, he's a good dude that kept that morning show on the air forcefully with his presence and improved the Hot 97 brand through his initiatives.
I think Ebro was good for stirring the pot and keeping Hot97 from basically fading into irrelevancy and getting TOO disconnected with the culture but he took it too far and it clearly became artificial at some point.

Nowadays, it comes down to Ebro just saying something more inflammatory than just being a food for thought and then carefully backtracking/laughing it off. It's become toxic. Though I didn't do this intentionally, I've stopped watching much of Hot97's video content since that's started happening too, besides Music Meeting and Juan Epstein.

Who's going to be the next program director though? I love Rosenberg and Ciph but they both have pretty nuanced tastes that I feel could be of conflict. Rosenberg at least gives everyone a shot though.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
If I blew up, I'd just hire my moms to be the accountant. Why trust some random shady lawyer to watch my back? My old earth would have the paper correct 24/7/365.

Shit I'd probably fleece a motherfucker myself.

The dudes who constantly blow money on stupid jewelry and cars are the easiest to rob. They're so used to money coming out of the accounts, that they overlook the mysterious $10k withdraw here and there. Managers probably get in on the scam too.

I'd be the millionaire who still busts out the Turbo Tax and does it himself.

Furyous

I think Ebro was good for stirring the pot and keeping Hot97 from basically fading into irrelevancy and getting TOO disconnected with the culture but he took it too far and it clearly became artificial at some point.

Nowadays, it comes down to Ebro just saying something more inflammatory than just being a food for thought and then carefully backtracking/laughing it off. It's become toxic. Though I didn't do this intentionally, I've stopped watching much of Hot97's video content since that's started happening too, besides Music Meeting and Juan Epstein.

Who's going to be the next program director though? I love Rosenberg and Ciph but they both have pretty nuanced tastes that I feel could be of conflict. Rosenberg at least gives everyone a shot though.

I want it to be someone the old heads love. I nominate Doggie Diamonds. Nevermind, he said he wouldn't take it. I want someone that's the epitome of old school NYC so people can get what they ask for. I'm talking about a PD that's on that eff the south, these new dudes ain't hip-hop, dress code enforcing, timbs-and-hoodie only, no skirts allowed type steez. For the love of god, can this dude play some local music 15 minutes an hour?

I want people to see what happens when they get what they want. My honest answer is combat jack. He'll play local records and has roots in old NYC.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I want it to be someone the old heads love. I nominate Doggie Diamonds. Nevermind, he said he wouldn't take it. I want someone that's the epitome of old school NYC so people can get what they ask for. I'm talking about a PD that's on that eff the south, these new dudes ain't hip-hop, dress code enforcing, timbs-and-hoodie only, no skirts allowed type steez. For the love of god, can this dude play some local music 15 minutes an hour?

I want people to see what happens when they get what they want. My honest answer is combat jack. He'll play local records and has roots in old NYC.
I really think that's the opposite of what they need. I mean, as long as they're not playing what's hot and what's hot is what's coming out of the South, Hot97 suffers too, not just the people. Doesn't help that their main competitor is getting more and more syndication across the country and is now on TV too.

I think they need someone proactive. I mean Doggie Diamonds is maybe too in tune with the underground NYC scene that he's basically been living off of and those who are the root of NYC hip-hop's image problems. Even though Ebro assumed the role of the old head he still didn't shy away from asking NY artists what they're doing wrong. It's tough, but I almost certainly think they'll pull someone from within Hot97.

Esch

Banned
these guys would rather party than be fiscally responsible. nobody's problem but their own. if your accountant fleeces you, then its your fault. watch your fuckin money. dumbass's.
This is true, but we cant be surprised about a bunch of hood kids not knowing wtf to do with money. These dudes all grew up with the ducktale finances of 90s rap videos skewing perceptions of reality too, so its almost expected that this is how things are.

Furyous

I really think that's the opposite of what they need. I mean, as long as they're not playing what's hot and what's hot is what's coming out of the South, Hot97 suffers too, not just the people. Doesn't help that their main competitor is getting more and more syndication across the country and is now on TV too.

I think they need someone proactive. I mean Doggie Diamonds is maybe too in tune with the underground NYC scene that he's basically been living off of and those who are the root of NYC hip-hop's image problems. Even though Ebro assumed the role of the old head he still didn't shy away from asking NY artists what they're doing wrong. It's tough, but I almost certainly think they'll pull someone from within Hot97.

Can you speak more on NYC's image problem as a native New Yorker? I doubt they'll pull Flex into the roll. I'm not sure Slay will take the role either. Watch them open it up to fan voting.

Ebro wasn't that bad. He had a regional conversation in the national media. I get his rationale for not supporting local acts as much as he could do to payola. However, at least support your artists. They did Papoose dirty and I'm a hater, that's saying a lot. As an outside Clevelander, other regions have to support local artists in order to have national prominence. Labeling an entire region as wack or "not from here" (aka FUCK ALL OF THEM) might rub someone the wrong way.

Lil Herb is playing here friday for $15. Anyone seen him live? I dug his mixtape but I'm pretty iffy on seeing chicago dudes since I've had nothing but bad experiences.

Pro athletes have access to investment and tax courses once they join the league; obviously many don't use these resources, but they're available. Rappers don't have any of this and seem hell bent on blowing their advance as fast as humanly possible. Worse yet they seem to view tour money as free money.

Those guys from the 90s who made millions yet have nothing now...jesus. Imagine how much worse it is for rappers today, who aren't making nearly as much money yet are wasting what they have.

This is true, but we cant be surprised about a bunch of hood kids not knowing wtf to do with money. These dudes all grew up with the ducktale finances of 90s rap videos skewing perceptions of reality too, so its almost expected that this is how things are.

I agree with you, It's partially on their lawyer/manager to nab them an accountant.

PBY

Banned
Lol at duck tales. It's like when you here some struggle mixtape rapper shouting out his stacks. Okay breh.

overcast

I don't know much about how rap finances work, but I would bet most of these dudes are going to burn their cash bad. Assuming they have any after being fucked over by contracts. Seems like Chance knows what he's doing.

Drake/Kanye and them are never going broke, but they're the biggest rap stars in the world.

thabiz

I agree with you, It's partially on their lawyer/manager to nab them an accountant.

but this still doesnt free you from managing your own money. i'm not talking daily, but it seems they never bother to check what their accountants tell them is in fact true. its amazing how common sense and responsibility get tossed out the window once big money gets into the equation. its astonishing really. do they really thing that the money will never stop coming in?

you would think that the urgency to save money would be at the forefront. especially in a industry where careers dont last too long.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
lmao

Can you speak more on NYC's image problem as a native New Yorker? I doubt they'll pull Flex into the roll. I'm not sure Slay will take the role either. Watch them open it up to fan voting.

Ebro wasn't that bad. He had a regional conversation in the national media. I get his rationale for not supporting local acts as much as he could do to payola. However, at least support your artists. They did Papoose dirty and I'm a hater, that's saying a lot. As an outside Clevelander, other regions have to support local artists in order to have national prominence. Labeling an entire region as wack or "not from here" (aka FUCK ALL OF THEM) might rub someone the wrong way.
I'm not from NY, just another guy looking from the inside in. But you see it everywhere, NY used to be the mecca of hip hop and has no identity anymore. It's not even that the South is dominating, the west and the midwest have carved out their own sounds in recent years and NY is putting all of it's chips into Troy Ave who is too busy burning bridges.

Pro athletes have access to investment and tax courses once they join the league; obviously many don't use these resources, but they're available. Rappers don't have any of this and seem hell bent on blowing their advance as fast as humanly possible. Worse yet they seem to view tour money as free money.

Those guys from the 90s who made millions yet have nothing now...jesus. Imagine how much worse it is for rappers today, who aren't making nearly as much money yet are wasting what they have.
This is exactly why Roc Nation is getting all of these big pick ups and making noise. Jay said this is what sets them apart as a managing company, they make sure athletes and rappers will last longer than the 3 year average or whatever he quoted.

Lol at duck tales. It's like when you here some struggle mixtape rapper shouting out his stacks. Okay breh.
Keep it real with n***as, n***as ain't got my lady money is one of those Jay lines which really does make it clear there are levels to this shit. I don't think it would have necessarily, but I kind of hope at times that it burned some braggadocious rappers down at their core.

Hellion

Hot97 has to hear about JR Writer going to jail before hes allowed to come up for a interview...SMH. But that answers the b2b mixtapes.

I always tuned in mainly for him and Juelz during those Flex freestyle sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom