• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Hardly relevant, but this gif is killing me. News anchors reaction to the (small) earthquake today.

iAVAnzdJjaY9a.gif
Look like he sharted in front of company

Hellion

I'm not from NY, just another guy looking from the inside in. But you see it everywhere, NY used to be the mecca of hip hop and has no identity anymore. It's not even that the South is dominating, the west and the midwest have carved out their own sounds in recent years and NY is putting all of it's chips into Troy Ave who is too busy burning bridges.
1.???

2.nobody bumps Troy Ave till his balls drop. NYC music scene is stuck due to politics... reason those west coast act are poppin is mainly because of the muscle* and $$$ behind it. The old regime still in power old and salty. FREE MAX B ;(

* [see Ebro discuss "x" trap artist crew running up on local DJ's]

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Never heard of him, so if that is what the East is bringing to the table, no wonder they're all salty and thirstin for west coast shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
1.???

2.nobody bumps Troy Ave till his balls drop. NYC music scene is stuck due to politics... reason those west coast act are poppin is mainly because of the muscle* and $$$ behind it. The old regime still in power old and salty. FREE MAX B ;(

* [see Ebro discuss "x" trap artist crew running up on local DJ's]
Hot97 has been promoting Troy Ave like he's the truth for a while now, while throwing shade at Rocky and French when they're not in front of them. He frequently gets name dropped as the counter-point to NY losing it's identity. I've seen many of their big personalities do it.

I'm not saying they're pumping him like he's the NY's next Jay or something, but relative to every other artist, he's been getting a pretty disproportionate amount of love because he's from NYC. Even moreso than Joey Bada$$.

It's not politics, it's just they don't have anything to bring to the table while others do. Labels see this, rap fans see this.

DominoKid

Hot97 has been promoting Troy Ave like he's the truth for a while now, while throwing shade at Rocky and French when they're not in front of them. He frequently gets name dropped as the counter-point to NY losing it's identity. I've seen many of their big personalities do it.

I'm not saying they're pumping him like he's the NY's next Jay or something, but relative to every other artist, he's been getting a pretty disproportionate amount of love because he's from NYC. Even moreso than Joey Bada$$.

It's not politics, it's just they don't have anything to bring to the table while others do. Labels see this, rap fans see this.

if he's who they see as the counterpoint then NY would be better off losing their identity.

Hellion

Notice how french and rocky both got on without Hot97.

Ebro was a cornball. Hot 97's morning show is getting destroyed by the Breakfast Club and he decided to give his team some buzz by being a heel. But in the end it felt like a Puffy moment, where the executive producer is...all in the videos, all in the conversation, fronting. Fuck that. And to make matters worse his arguments are always on some technical shit. I appreciate hearing about metrics and shit, but yall know nobody else turns into a morning show to hear a combative black man argue numbers with flabby n sick New York rappers.

The problem with New York is two-fold. On one hand they demand New York artists make music that is "catchy" yet stays true to NY, on the other hand they basically demand everything they play caters to a specific sound (ie trap and/or southern). Even simp tracks from NY artists don't get play, regardless of whether they're good records or not. How do you break through when you have a fuckboy program director demanding you make a song like Mercy, and when you do he shits on you for trying to sound like x.

The other issue is a lot of NY artists just don't make good MUSIC. Being good at rap doesn't mean you make good music - that's something NY doesn't understand. You can make a song with a hook without "selling out." Go listen to some 90s Wu, Gang Star, Biggie, Blackmoon, etc and you'll hear dope choruses. You don't hear that in most NY music today, it's just bars and a wack hook (often repeating the same couple lines over and over).

That being said, I think NY has a great scene right now. Marciano, Bronson, Xquire, etc are all dope...but they aren't radio ready. And they don't care. I respect that.

Troy Ave has some dope tracks and is smart enough not to be rapping over boring mixtape soul loops.

This shit is dope, period
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFxoTjDppE4

The problem is that he doesn't look the part, and he's another NY rapper trying to bring back 90s hair or dress styles. Also dude looks like a baby seal version of Raekwon, bitches aren't checking for that. You can't go anywhere without female fans today, or the potential to gain female fans.

Troy Ave has some dope tracks and is smart enough not to be rapping over boring mixtape soul loops.

The problem is that he doesn't look the part, and he's another NY rapper trying to bring back 90s hair or dress styles. Also dude looks like a baby seal version of Raekwon, bitches aren't checking for that. You can't go anywhere without female fans today, or the potential to gain female fans.

LMFAO

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

GAF-Hop killing the analogies today, lmao

The other issue is a lot of NY artists just don't make good MUSIC. Being good at rap doesn't mean you make good music - that's something NY doesn't understand. You can make a song with a hook without "selling out." Go listen to some 90s Wu, Gang Star, Biggie, Blackmoon, etc and you'll hear dope choruses. You don't hear that in most NY music today, it's just bars and a wack hook (often repeating the same couple lines over and over).

To be fair, this nonsense is affecting the entire game aside from a few standouts who can croon to the finish line, or get an R&B hook. For an industry so hook-focused at the mainstream level, hooks are, by and large, awful. Even people who can put together tracks fall victim to the "repeating phrase chorus" like 3 times per album. It sounds like parody hip-hop half the time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
To be fair, this nonsense is affecting the entire game aside from a few standouts who can croon to the finish line, or get an R&B hook. For an industry so hook-focused at the mainstream level, hooks are, by and large, awful. Even people who can put together tracks fall victim to the "repeating phrase chorus" like 3 times per album. It sounds like parody hip-hop half the time.
It's weird because, even listening to songs from other eras of hip-hop you see ones with poor hooks don't stand the test of time. Though 2pac wasn't really bad at it when he needed a single, a lot of his extended discography can be a slog as a result of this.

Simply put, there's no excuse for not having hook writing ability. It's an integral part of songwriting, in finding a way to bridge and unify all those bars you're spitting, and you can't just use dead air on every song. Big reason why Run The Jewels and anything from Killer Mike generally fizzles fast too.

effzee

How do you write a good hook or get someone to sing it when the moment you do so you are labeled a sell out?

Too many stupid unwritten rules in rap which really the purchasing audience doesn't care about yet rappers fail to shed because they are afraid of labels.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How do you write a good hook or get someone to sing it when the moment you do so you are labeled a sell out?

Too many stupid unwritten rules in rap which really the purchasing audience doesn't care about yet rappers fail to shed because they are afraid of labels.
I have no sympathy for street dudes who maintain this train of thought. Same dudes who won't do an independent label shit even if Mac and Macklemore did it big that way. You're right about the unwritten rules though, there's far too many to even remember.

It's pretty easy to tell people who use this as a scapegoat too. Q was saying every time he goes back to his set, all of his homies ask him wtf he's doing there, he's supposed to have put it in the past. Flocka is probably the only dude who does the hood tour shit.

Cudder

been listening to Pinata in chunks here and there, some of those beats are super nice. pretty cool how Gibbs can go in over hard as fuck beats but also smooth chill beats. he fits both nicely.

been listening to Pinata in chunks here and there, some of those beats are super nice. pretty cool how Gibbs can go in over hard as fuck beats but also smooth chill beats. he fits both nicely.

Yeah he does. Listen to his EP Str8 Killa, I think that's the one that really sold me on his music when it came out. It's just solid music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom