• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did she keep those clowns alive who were cracking jokes about her in Dothraki? Would be hilarious if one of them is like the Essos version of Tywin in military strategy, and no one knew because he wasn't strong enough to be a Khal.
It would be great if we get shots of both Tarly and a Dothraki commander issuing orders and tactics during the battle. Trying to outwit each other.

So had Robert not died and Ned stayed hand of the king, would it not be correct to say Ned was wrong about not assassinate Dany?
If she can back to westeros with a unsullied army, dothraki horde and dragons, yes.

pablito

And then you have to wonder...what the fuck are Varys' spies doing? How is he getting no intel on Lannister plans? I almost wouldn't be surprised at this point if the show reveals Varys as a spy to justify all of this, despite it making no sense whatsoever.

Qyburn took Varys' little birds last season. The birds in King's Landing, anyway. They extent of their loyalty, or if birds outside of KL have also defected to Qyburn/Cersei, hasn't been addressed from what I can remember.

Is Dany fucked already?

Greyjoy / Dornish support wiped out. Rest of fleet wiped out this week. Unsullied that made it into the castle have no food and will probably die walking elsewhere.

Jon Snow away home with some glass.

Nydius

Yes because Highgarden is widely known to not be militarily strong and relied on alliances with the Lannister's. Easy win for the battle-hardened.

Outside of The Blackfish, House Tully wasn't exactly known to be militarily strong either, relying on alliances with the Freys and the North (hence Caitlyn's marriage to Ned Stark) for defense and protection of the Riverlands. And yet, the post-Red Wedding remnants of House Tully not only managed to retake Riverrun from the occupying Frey forces but also managed to hold fast during a prolonged siege with the combined Lannister and Frey forces. Presumably the same Lannister forces that marched down to Highgarden.

There's no good excuse for how pathetically fast the taking of Highgarden was portrayed. It wasn't even one full episode. It was 5-10 minutes within one episode. Between this and Euron's Magical Mystery Tour, it's absolutely clear that they're writing fast to wrap up the war for the Iron Throne plotline and the very features that made the show compelling - drama, intrigue, tension that rises throughout a season and culminates near or at the end leading into the next season - have fallen by the wayside.

LordKasual

Banned
Arya and Bran have become edgy as fuck, I hope they meet up and have a conversation.

They've both seen and becomed entangled in shit that almost nobody else in the series has

Jon is the same way. After he came back, he tied back his hair and become alot less personable.

JWiLL

Banned
Is it wrong for me to
burning
ship Jon Snow and Dany to get it on?

Their tension is kind of hawt.

I feel like they were intentionally trying to not create any of that sort of tension.

Any that was there is just from the fact that Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington are both really, ridiculously good looking people.

Astral Dog

Outside of The Blackfish, House Tully wasn't exactly known to be militarily strong either, relying on alliances with the Freys and the North (hence Caitlyn's marriage to Ned Stark) for defense and protection of the Riverlands. And yet, the post-Red Wedding remnants of House Tully not only managed to retake Riverrun from the occupying Frey forces but also managed to hold fast during a prolonged siege with the combined Lannister and Frey forces. Presumably the same Lannister forces that marched down to Highgarden.

There's no good excuse for how pathetically fast the taking of Highgarden was portrayed. It wasn't even one full episode. It was 5-10 minutes within one episode. Between this and Euron's Magical Mystery Tour, it's absolutely clear that they're writing fast to wrap up the war for the Iron Throne plotline and the very features that made the show compelling - drama, intrigue, tension that rises throughout a season and culminates near or at the end leading into the next season - have fallen by the wayside.
They should have ended with Jaime leading the army towards highgarden and then the credits they really rushed that part she deserved better.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I feel like they were intentionally trying to not create any of that sort of tension.

I dunno, Dany gave him one of these

giphy.gif

when he told him to get to work.

Einchy

Remember the camera/mic focused back conversation of the drunk guys in the scene with Aria and Hotpot? They said that Dany's dragon is bigger than Aegon's.. which is the skull the ballista hit.

They were mistaken, they keep saying they're "fully grown" but those dudes don't know anything about dragons. Dany's are still small compared to Aegon's.

So how the heck do the Dothraki
get off Dragonstone now? Are Stannis' ships still around somewhere lol?
. It sounds like EP4 is going to piss people off with massive time jumps and teleport talk again.
In the s6 finale showing how many ships Dany had, perhaps she has enough to port just the Dothraki. But yeah, she would need men who know how to sail ships to man them. Dothraki shouldn't be able to do it themselves. Since they make it such a big deal that this is the first time the Dothraki crossed the sea.
And Jamie went from King's Landing to Highgarden (and possibly the Rock in between to get his army) on foot in the same episode and no one seems to be complaining about that. We see Euron's men torturing Yara's men in last episode, it is so inconceivable someone let it slip about where the Unsullied were going? Maybe Euron sent his fleet to the Rock right after capturing Yara, and he went to King's Landing with just his flagship and he caught up later because he's the Pirate King with a wicked fast ship. So many possible explanations, time jumps don't bother me at all Seems a shame to get so hung up on it.
yes exactly, Jaime went from one location to another as did the Unsullied, Euron went to 2. The sea to the King's Landing, then King's Landing to Casterly Rock. I didn't mind the time jumps before and I get why they have to do it but some of it is still a little hard to suspend belief, or however they say it.

-griffy-

Banned

Any that was there is just from the fact that Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington are both really, ridiculously good looking people.

I think Jon was a bit taken a back when he first walked into the throne room and saw her. There's just a hint on his face like "Woah, I wasn't expecting this conquering queen to be such a young, beautiful woman," almost a slight gaping look of awe. But he keeps his cool.

Maybe a lot of the Lannister winning so far, and Dany's unwillingness to go full dragon is to actually set up how powerful the dragons really are as a military tool, and we'll actually see a full on quick and overwhelming turning of the tides (not sure how the ballistas are going to figure though). I feel like the show is going to have to wrap up this plotline pretty quickly to address the undead army thread.

Wouldn't be surprised if one dragon goes down in a siege of KL, and another is lost to the Night King (either on a recon mission or something else), which would probably end up being his mount and he'd have to face off in an aerial battle against Dany and her one remaining dragon (I hope that doesn't happen as it seems pretty absurd.)

Cersei has the anti dragon ballistas though. So that won't even work.

I wonder how that will do anything. Depends on how many ballistas they make.

One ballista is fired and misses a dragon in flight (good luck hitting that), they'll be immediately aware of them and Dany could just order the dragons to burn them all as fast as possible. I don't see what's preventing that.

Why do people keep saying Euron wipes out the Unsullied. He wiped out the depleted Unsullied skips. The Army was safe in Casterly Rock. Undermanned ships would easily be wiped out by a sneak attack from behind.

Why do people keep saying Euron wipes out the Unsullied. He wiped out the depleted Unsullied skips. The Army was safe in Casterly Rock. Undermanned ships would easily be wiped out by a sneak attack from behind.

The rest of the Unsullied are now in a castle with no food for hundreds of miles

Meowster

I wonder how that will do anything. Depends on how many ballistas they make.

One ballista is fired and misses a dragon in flight (good luck hitting that), they'll be immediately aware of them and Dany could just order the dragons to burn them all as fast as possible. I don't see what's preventing that.
You underestimate the power of Thunder God Euron with a ballista at hand.

Jaime even said it was just the ships, and that the unsullied would have to walk back to Dragonstone from CR. Either way, they are probably fucked.

Zok310

Banned
Maybe a lot of the Lannister winning so far, and Dany's unwillingness to go full dragon is to actually set up how powerful the dragons really are as a military tool, and we'll actually see a full on quick and overwhelming turning of the tides (not sure how the ballistas are going to figure though). I feel like the show is going to have to wrap up this plotline pretty quickly to address the undead army thread.

Wouldn't be surprised if one dragon goes down in a siege of KL, and another is lost to the Night King (either on a recon mission or something else), which would probably end up being his mount and he'd have to face off in an aerial battle against Dany and her one remaining dragon (I hope that doesn't happen as it seems pretty absurd.)

Exactly, the dragons in next week episode will be like a nuclear weapon going off on the Jamie's army.

I am very much looking forward to a coherent conversation between Sam and Jorah. In a way, Jeor was more of a father to Sam than his own father ever was.

Ah yes, I am so happy that this episode paid off. The Sam/Jorah scene topped the Jon/Dany first time meeting, in my opinion. There were too many recent historical events that were narratively ignored in their scenes together, so their scenes didn't pay off as well as it could've. Although of course it is still history in the making that they have met, it could've been constructed in a more fulfilled way.

But Sam/Jorah though...man. I've always been kinda mad at Sam for just ditching Jeor as soon as he saw trouble at Crastor's keep, but Sam did what he thought was right. And that look that Jorah gives Sam when he puts his hand on top of Sam's when they shake hands...

"I barely know who you are, you knew my father, and you risked your life to save mine. Thanks to you, I will not die this horrific, dehumanizing death."

Incredible acting with just the eyes/facial expressions from the actor.

gun_haver

This is the impression I got - doubtless that there were a few people still on the ships for security, but the majority of the Unsullied are currently in Casterly Rock - there are 8000 total, I think, so maybe 6-7000+ are in the castle? That is, if she sent ALL of them, which she probably didn't, some will still be at Dragonstone. They were expecting to find 10,000 Lannisters at the castle so there would be no reason to let most of their forces hang back in the ships.

I think the main thing is just that their means of transport is cut off and they will need to travel Westeros to get back to Dragonstone, or meet up with Dany, and in doing so the much larger Lannister army will be able to intercept and wipe them out.

"I barely know who you are, you knew my father, and you risked your life to save mine. Thanks to you, I will not die this horrific, dehumanizing death."

Amazing little scene and exchange between the two. It was also Jorah's reaction to Sam actually reaching out and having faith to touch him.

Einchy

Yup, Jaime says as much, too. He tells Olenna that they won't keep Casterly Rock for long since they destroyed all their ships, they will eventually have to march.

Rewatching the episode right now and wondering how Danny's invasion would be going if Jorah Mormount were still advising her.

And yes, Jorah's actor had been killing it on this show for a long time.

Ah yes, I am so happy that this episode paid off. The Sam/Jorah scene topped the Jon/Dany first time meeting, in my opinion. There were too many recent historical events that were narratively ignored in their scenes together, so their scenes didn't pay off as well as it could've. Although of course it is still history in the making that they have met, it could've been constructed more fulfilled way.

But Sam/Jorah though...man. I've always been kinda mad at Sam for just ditching Jeor as soon as he saw trouble at Crastor's keep, but Sam did what he thought was right. And that look that Jorah gives Sam when he puts his hand on top of Sam's when they shake hands...

Agreed. That handshake had me good grinning. My man Sam.

The unsullied being forced to walk doesn't sound like it's the worst outcome to me considering Euron basically Poseidon. Not that either are good options. lol

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Is Dany fucked already?

Greyjoy / Dornish support wiped out. Rest of fleet wiped out this week. Unsullied that made it into the castle have no food and will probably die walking elsewhere.

Jon Snow away home with some glass.

Dorne is unscathed except for Ellaria and the three Sand Snakes getting killed/caught. There should be more of Obyren's daughters back home though.

I re-watched the last scene between Jon and Dany over a dozen times ( I honestly love the way Dany says you better get to work Jon Snow), and I'm sorry, that glance she shoots him as he walks away screams, "what's the Westerosi etiquette for inviting a guy I just met to my chambers? In Essos I can just bang him here and now, but I don't know about this continent. Dude's here seem...sulky, hmm..."

JakeD

Yup, Jaime says as much, too. He tells Olenna that they won't keep Casterly Rock for long since they destroyed all their ships, they will eventually have to march.

It was supposed to have an impact when Jaime said it, but honestly if feels meaningless in an episode where armies and fleets bounce around like nothing. Looking at a westeros map, casterly rock to dragonstone could be done with a single scene edited in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom