• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuturu Jones

Neo Member
This is the impression I got - doubtless that there were a few people still on the ships for security, but the majority of the Unsullied are currently in Casterly Rock - there are 8000 total, I think, so maybe 6-7000+ are in the castle? That is, if she sent ALL of them, which she probably didn't, some will still be at Dragonstone. They were expecting to find 10,000 Lannisters at the castle so there would be no reason to let most of their forces hang back in the ships.

I think the main thing is just that their means of transport is cut off and they will need to travel Westeros to get back to Dragonstone, or meet up with Dany, and in doing so the much larger Lannister army will be able to intercept and wipe them out.

The other problem is that how are the unsullied supposed to know the way back to Dragonstone? They never been in Westeros before.

RoKKeR

Solid episode, Tyrion narrating the invasion of Casterly Rock was really damn good.

And Lady Tyrell... RIP. Amazing character.

I think a lot of the teleporting complaints could be solved with small scenes here and there showing departures or traveling. One or two minutes here or there.

There's enough Dany / Jon stuff that could be cut / shortened to make way.

Amazing little scene and exchange between the two. It was also Jorah's reaction to Sam actually reaching out and having faith to touch him.
I think you're right, all this time probably everybody didn't want to be near him. He even pretty much said he was a broken man and gave up all hope with greyscale, and Sam "reaches out" to give Jorah the reinvigoration he needs to be assured that he has indeed made it.
Agreed. That handshake had me good grinning. My man Sam.
This might make me sound like a sissy but I almost teared up watching it too :')

Sam the man. A true hero among several in this song of ice and fire.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I always forget at the start of a new season just how far the show has plummeted since Season 4. It used to be that characters decisions drove the plot. Now, the plot drives characters decisions. Euron was introduced at the tail end of last season and is just wiping the board in ridiculously illogical fashion because the story needs him to.

Tyrion was literally the Master of Coin in S2/S3. I find it hard to believe he wouldn't be aware of the dire straits the Lannisters were in with money. He should have known that Casterly Rock would mean very little at this stage. Even if he somehow didn't - he was definitely aware that the Greyjoys had aligned with Cersei. Pyke isn't very far from Casterly Rock. The idea that Tyrion would fail to anticipate an attack from them there is mindboggling. They're making him uncharacteristically stupid in order to delay Daenerys inevitably laying waste to King's Landing with her dragons. I still love the idea that refraining from using them to sack King's Landing is somehow more kind to the people than laying siege to the city would be. That's such a reach it's downright hilarious.

Then you have the Lannisters attacking Highgarden. How does this make any sense? So Jaime marched most of the Lannister forces out of King's Landing and to the South when they know Dany is sitting there with her dragons ready to attack? Unless they have some extremely effective spies it would be madness to leave the capital less than fully defended. And then you have to wonder...what the fuck are Varys' spies doing? How is he getting no intel on Lannister plans? I almost wouldn't be surprised at this point if the show reveals Varys as a spy to justify all of this, despite it making no sense whatsoever.

It's all so contrived and disappointing.
I'm under the impression most of Varys spy networkw as converted by Cersei's maester.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dany and Tyrion probably don't believe Jon about the dead, so wonder how Bran gonna get em to believe they're both related.

I didn't get the impression they outright don't believe him. I think they think he might be mistaken about what is going on. I mean Dany's question about the stab to the heart indicated to me she knew more was going on there.

Definitely a necessary episode. Cersei has come off as relatively weak in the last couple of seasons and it's good remind everyone that she still has access to the people who know how to win a conventional Westerosi war in Lord Tarly and Jaime. Tyrion is a politician, but not a general, and neither is Dany.

The interesting question is that I think we're going to hear skepticism about Dany's refusal to directly attack King's Landing when the original idea on this never once considered Euron's insanely broken fleet.

xaosslug

wait, peeps are watching a show w/ dragons and an undead army, but they need to be shown the minutiae of experienced war captains planning out and executing attacks vs. relatively inexperienced enemies, and fledgling maister Sam reading up on greyscale otherwise the suspension of disbelief is too much to bear? xD

mess.

WF1dsJk.gif

I didn't get the impression they outright don't believe him. I think they think he might be mistaken about what is going on. I mean Dany's question about the stab to the heart indicated to me she knew more was going on there.

I felt like they tentatively believe him in concept but not regarding importance. "Help us and we will help you" while Jon be screaming "There's no time. If I help you first we all die"

So how the heck do the Dothraki
get off Dragonstone now? Are Stannis' ships still around somewhere lol?
. It sounds like EP4 is going to piss people off with massive time jumps and teleport talk again.

Does everyone text while watching.
They literally mentioned their remaining ships when Dany was talking about using her Dragons to destroy Euron.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
As this show's story funnels towards a conclusion it's plot is becoming more mechanical. The early seasons were strong because they leaned just as heavily on character development and world building as they did plot gymnastics. It's starting to feel pretty rushed now that its almost entirely plot driven. I think they still have some interesting character moves happening with Sansa and maybe The Hound but the last two episode felt like it was on rails for me. Still enjoy watching it, but it's easier to pick at when everyone is seemingly coasting.

wait, peeps are watching a show w/ dragons and an undead army, but they need to be shown the minutiae of experienced war captains planning out and executing attacks vs. relatively inexperienced enemies, and fledgling maister Sam reading up on greyscale otherwise the suspension of disbelief is too much to bear? xD

mess.

WF1dsJk.gif

You should watch Game of Thrones sometime.

a916

That Bran scene was hilarious. I was laughing the entire time. Arrested Development levels of funny. What the fuuuck, Bran. What was this scene supposed to even be about?

"What have you been up to, brother? Did you know you are the Lord now?!"

"I'm a three eyed raven"

"huh?!...whats that?...who?"

"I see everything, the three-eyed raven taught me."

"I thought you were the three-eyed raven?"

"I saw you get raped on your wedding night...You remember how beautiful you were. It was a beautiful night too, huh??"

"Fucking WHAT!?"

And then at the end she just leaves him there at the Tree by himself. LOL

You can almost hear Sansa whisper under her breath: "Good luck walking back, Bro."

That scene pissed me off to no end... like dude, she clearly doesn't know what your talking about, NO ONE DOES. Just touch the tree or something and grab her hand and take her to your visions... done and done.

Ithil

mess.

WF1dsJk.gif
No.

Don't pull that shitty card. Dragons existing does not mean "do whatever you want, just have every random shit happen who cares fantasy lol".

GOT was specifically praised for its level of detail and pacing, and its nuance compred to other fantasy shows. ASOIAF specifically was intended to be a more realistic and complex take on the medieval fantasy genre.

Why do dragons existing as a creature in this world enable teleporting armies and fleets, and nonsensical military moves?

RDreamer

mess.

Just because dragons and undead exist doesn't mean literally everything is thrown out the window and you should just accept everything. There are still worlds, and largely the reason this show got so popular was because it was so grounded and realistic for the first 4 seasons. A piece of writing needs to show show where it breaks from reality and have that understood by its viewers, if it's going to do that. Unless you're stating Euron literally has some sort of magic luck on his side, dragons and undead have fuck all to do with him being able to conquer anything and everything everywhere at any time and be at the right moment at the right time all the time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I felt like they tentatively believe him in concept but not regarding importance. "Help us and we will help you" while Jon be screaming "There's no time. If I help you first we all die"

Their position is probably that "even if this exists, it's far as hell away and there's no real reason why can't deal with it later." Tyrion was mostly right there - if Jon's entire request is doing some mining and leaving with a shipload of otherwise useless resources, they have nothing to lose even if he's incorrect about the Army of the Dead.

Euron's unbeatable naval fleet is easily the most broken thing on the show. Even next to the Undead Army that never does anything.

Ithil

Just because dragons and undead exist doesn't mean literally everything is thrown out the window and you should just accept everything. There are still worlds, and largely the reason this show got so popular was because it was so grounded and realistic for the first 4 seasons. A piece of writing needs to show show where it breaks from reality and have that understood by its viewers, if it's going to do that. Unless you're stating Euron literally has some sort of magic luck on his side, dragons and undead have fuck all to do with him being able to conquer anything and everything everywhere at any time and be at the right moment at the right time all the time.

What's more, the magical aspects of the show (the dragons and White Walkers) have absolutely nothing to do with the issues being raised with the pacing and logistics of the show.

a916

Since Lady Olenna went out like a boss... and admitted she poisoned Joffrey... does this acquit Tyrion in the eyes of Jamie and possibly Cersei?

Jackpot

Banned
Half expected Olenna to come flying out that balcony a la Tommen.

Preview talk:
That Lannister caravan of gold looks conveniently small enough for HBO to stage a dragon attack within budget.

Their position is probably that "even if this exists, it's far as hell away and there's no real reason why can't deal with it later." Tyrion was mostly right there - if Jon's entire request is doing some mining and leaving with a shipload of otherwise useless resources, they have nothing to lose even if he's incorrect about the Army of the Dead.

Euron's unbeatable naval fleet is easily the most broken thing on the show. Even next to the Undead Army that never does anything.

This shows a lack of understanding on Tryion and Dany's part. Same thing happened with Castle Black originally with the wildlings. Letting the army advance just bolsters it's numbers as the death count rises.

psaman17

Banned
That Bran scene was hilarious. I was laughing the entire time. Arrested Development levels of funny. What the fuuuck, Bran. What was this scene supposed to even be about?

"What have you been up to, brother? Did you know you are the Lord now?!"

"I'm a three eyed raven"

"huh?!...whats that?...who?"

"I see everything, the three-eyed raven taught me."

"I thought you were the three-eyed raven?"

"I saw you get raped on your wedding night...You remember how beautiful you were. It was a beautiful night too, huh??"

"Fucking WHAT!?"

And then at the end she just leaves him there at the Tree by himself. LOL

You can almost hear Sansa whisper under her breath: "Good luck walking back, Bro."

Bran was a mess. I saw you get raped, you were hawt. Wtf bran

mess.
You see dragons are fictional creatures to us, but in their world, dragons are a long extinct animals. They're natural animals and not held or viewed as some imaginary creatures. Same with the undead.

So neither of them are an excuse to do whatever that might mess with the pacing of the show.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
A few scenes this season have reminded me of LOST where people don't TALK to each other because they know they are characters in a TV show.

pablito

Wait hol up didn't Stannis tell someone they have dragonglass at Dragonstone, when he was at Castle Black? Had to have been either Sam or Jon. So they knew it but forgot lolol.

I really don't know why people have such a hard time grasping that the passage of time is accelerated now when its happened throughout the entire series. In season 3 or 4 a raven left the wall and was at Dragonstone the very next scene.

Ferrio

Banned
Wait hol up didn't Stannis tell someone they have dragonglass at Dragonstone, when he was at Castle Black? Had to have been either Sam or Jon. So they knew it but forgot lolol.

The whole "Oh my there was dragonglass there the whole time" bit was stupid when it was revealed and is stupid now. That would not be some unknown fact, the damn throne is made out of it.

megalowho

Since Lady Olenna went out like a boss... and admitted she poisoned Joffrey... does this acquit Tyrion in the eyes of Jamie and possibly Cersei?
He still murdered Tywin and Cersei blames him for killing their mother in childbirth, she will likely be unmoved. It is a new wrinkle of information for Jaime to mull over at a point where he's falling back in with his sister's plans after the initial disgust and distrust at her rise to power.

Jorah's return = Tyrion betrays Daenerys, I think. She will stop listening to him, he will get jelly... etc.

never trust a Lannister.

The problem is, Tyrion advised her to take casterly rock. They were led into a trap but she might suspect Tyrion of tryong to fuck shit up.

Honestly I think Visarys is not to be trusted but oh well

a916

He still murdered Tywin and Cersei blames him for killing their mother in childbirth, she will likely be unmoved. It is a new wrinkle of information for Jaime to mull over at a point where he's falling back in with his sister's plans after the initial disgust and distrust at her rise to power.

Damn, forgot the Tywin murder for a second... yeah well, I guess he's still screwed.

NandoGip

I really don't know why people have such a hard time grasping that the passage of time is accelerated now when its happened throughout the entire series. In season 3 or 4 a raven left the wall and was at Dragonstone the very next scene.

People will always bitch, especially mega nerds like us. The show is put on such a high pedestal that even minor things get blown out of proportion due to how important it is to some people.

Once the book drops, it will have highly thought out explanations on how all of this worked. I choose to imagine it's taking so long because GRRM has to figure out explanations and then write out how every gets everywhere so fast

Wheel of Time did it in a cool way. They just gave everyone teleportation abilities 3/4 of the way in.

You underestimate the power of Thunder God Euron with a ballista at hand.

Euron had roped his wrists to the readied spear of the ballista, yelling back to his men. "Hold your fire and wait until the dragon is in your sights." As Daenerys rode her draconian steed closer to the fleet, the Mother of Dragons lifted an arm to signal her children to steady themselves.

Whispering to the tip of the spear, Euron channeled knowledge and manliness which should have only been available to the deities worshiped by the farthest reaches of Westeros. "Give me 1 good Euron and I'll impregnate the bitch."

As the testosterone began to dangerously radiate off of Euron's suddenly shirtless body, his men knew the moment was right and fired the ballista after resisting to waver from their duties in awe. Euron, securely roped to the spear, soared through the sky before piercing through the dragon's throat. Lodged through the falling beast's devastated spine, he glared straight into Daenerys's eyes whilst covered in draconian blood and Ironborn pheromones.

The dragon began to fall into the ocean, but not before Euron used his teeth to untie himself from the murderous spear to lunge toward Daenerys, who had been unable to speak. After all, her child was destroyed by this avatar of masculinity before her. Closing her eyes and accepting defeat, Euron cracked the Queen's neck whilst plummeting toward the ocean.

Daenerys's other two dragons, immediately recognizing their new Alpha, flew toward Euron and swooped underneath him at the last possible moment to protect his body from crashing into the water. Having both feet on each dragons' neck and wielding two separate leashes, Euron flew back to King's Landing to present his victorious prizes to the true Queen of the Seven Kingdoms.

Elsewhere above the Wall, the Night King suddenly opened his gaze. Visions of Euron's deeds had reached the Army of the Dead. The Night King, shaking in disbelief and horror, retreated north before even attempting to breach the Wall. The Night King's army escaped into the farthest mists, deciding that this Long Winter could not be won as long as Euron still lived to oppose the dead.

Pachimari

This is seriously bad form of HBO. They've made the Viewer's Guide limited to US citizens, so now I can't read up on the episodes, check out the map or find little details after having watched an episode. It's almost killing my "urge" to get back into the series and start up Season 2. When was this changed? Or was it always like that? Cause I can't remember using a VPN before.

mess.

WF1dsJk.gif

Again, the lack of minute detail is the antithesis of why people fell in love with GoT

Tuturu Jones

Neo Member
Everything would be fine with traveling times if GRRM just said that Westeros isn't that huge and maybe is the size of England or something. That way, armies moving within short spans of times wouldn't be so bad.

Nah.

It only exonerates Sansa. Cersei will hate Tyrion forever even if he did nothing wrong.

Cersei thought Tyrion and Sansa conspired together to kill Joffrey.

It was really just Olenna, with an assist from Littlefinger.

I don't know if Olenna even knew of Littlefinger's involvement or not, but he killed the guy who gave Sansa the necklace after he brought her to his ship in the harbor, so even if she did know, it died with her.

RDreamer

Because it's not just passage of time? It's incongruent passage of time along with bad characterization, questionable decisions, and horrid writing.

Yes time accelerated in other seasons and that was fine. You could always assume that things weren't taking place in the correct order or correct time. That's fine. What's not fine is when things aren't lining up even taking that into account. It isn't that Euron is on the other side of the world suddenly, it's that with the other things happening at the same time it just doesn't make sense and would take a huge stroke of luck for him to keep doing the things he's doing. It's stretching what's believable to a breaking point.

mess.

Has nothing to do with realism, just internal consistency. Of which this show has very little.

Unsullied are dead, no way back

They could abandon Casterly Rock and head for King's Landing. Or just go North by land.

Jamie and Tarly took their armies south to Highgarden to knock off the Tyrells, so they are farther away now.

If Euron is planning on coming ashore at Casterly Rock, he may be stuck there for a while since they won't be able to get in the same way the Unsullied did.

Hell - the Unsullied may be able to go right back out the sewers and steal Euron's own fleet if he's too stupid. They don't know about the sewers.

okay so just one real quick thing about everyone else who ships that D+J=I+F - why didn't Tyrion think of asking Dany about marrying Jon when he told her about the dragonglass?

Last season ended with him telling her to breakup with Daario coz a marriage to someone Westerosi would be vital, to make alliances...

...Tyrion knows that the north is the biggest kingdom, so big it equals the rest and doesn't even have a name, and Jon is the king! Couldn't Tyrion have been like, "Also, have you thought about marrying him? That's the best way to an alliance. I've seen the way you look at him, so..." Or is that just too easy? It is pretty easy, so it's a good thing to write off & forget about

How is it that some characters are literally teleporting all around Westeros and then you have characters like Bran or Arya where it takes them multiple episodes to get from one location to another?

I mean, I'm all for not showing characters travelling and saving time, but apply that shit equally.

RDreamer

okay so just one real quick thing about everyone else who ships that D+J=I+F - why didn't Tyrion think of asking Dany about marrying Jon when he told her about the dragonglass?

Last season ended with him telling her to breakup with Daario coz a marriage to someone Westerosi would be vital, to make alliances...

...Tyrion knows that the north is the biggest kingdom, so big it equals the rest and doesn't even have a name, and Jon is the king! Couldn't Tyrion have been like, "Also, have you thought about marrying him? That's the best way to an alliance. I've seen the way you look at him, so..." Or is that just too easy? It is pretty easy, so it's a good thing to write off & forget about

That's probably a card you try to save for the trickier allies to get, and since Tyrion knew Jon he probably thought he'd be easier to talk with and bring into the fold. Jon also strikes me and would strike Tyrion as someone that doesn't fucking want to rule the 7 kingdoms. Dany should probably marry someone for an alliance that does want to.

That plus I'm wondering how much Tyrion thinks Jon Snow even has control of the north. He's a Snow, and yes they've sworn to him now but if he marries Dany right off the bat they might just say fuck it. At least if he bends the knee and they all say fuck Jon then Dany hasn't actually given up anything.

They probably still will end up together though...

How is it that some characters are literally teleporting all around Westeros and then you have characters like Bran or Arya where it takes them multiple episodes to get from one location to another?

I mean, I'm all for not showing characters travelling and saving time, but apply that shit equally.

Sam sent a Raven from Old Town to Winterfell in like 1 night lol

And now Jon is stuck on Dragonstone as a result.

This is why books are needed. Books fill in all these time gaps where TV shows give ZERO FUCKS about physics and time. The show producers are probably just looking at outlines that Martin drew up and are basing everything off a thin outline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom