• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought King's Landing and Dragonstone were on opposite sides of Westeros. They're damn near next door to each other but still sending their armadas all across the continent.

Jesus.

Dany could've taken out Euron's entire fleet with a quick jaunt on her Dragons while they were in port.

who cares about geography when there's teleportation???

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dorne's Army: At Dorne, no leadership
Tyrell's Army: Gone...? Or splintered between loyalists and those following Tarly
Lannister's Army: Occupying Highgarden
Dothraki: At Dragonstone being Dany's guard/butlers
King's Landing Troops: At King's landing
Yara's Fleet: Gone
Euron's Fleet: Every point in space/time simultaneously
Unsullied: Occupying Casterly Rock

-griffy-

Banned
7Ev25My.jpg

1C2zZzu.jpg

P8cRxCQ.jpg

I missed Chrys

What's funny is that character has apparently been around for seasons now.

FiggyCal

Banned
Okay, you know what, it works if Casterly Rock took like a few weeks to take giving Euron time to deliver Yara and then loop back around to burn the Unsullied' ships, but because they had to fit it all into like 20% of an episode viewers feel only a day has passed, if that.

There are some real problems with the way time has been passing recently. Thankfully this episode gave us some helpful milestones to keep in mind. Fristly, Cersei told the Iron Bank guy to wait in King's Landing for a fortnight (14 days) while Lanister soldiers steal Tyrell gold; secondly, we should keep in mind that Tyene should be dead from the poison in a few days (judging from how it works in past episodes). She should definitely be dead by the time Jaime arrives and the banker from the Iron Bank gets his money. In fact, she should probably have already died off-screen. I'm guessing she's probably alive though (because I think there are real inconsistencies). How long has Dany even been there? How long has Jon been a prisoner? These are things that the writers have left unclear. But maybe they've said and I just missed it. At any rate, it doesn't feel like much time has passed at all and that is a problem.

At least the Euron actor is having a great time. He's written just to even the playing field (so far) but at least he is entertaining to watch on screen.

When people say they hate him are they talking about the performance or how he is written?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Also that look Dany gave Jon once he walked away.. seems like she wants to make little snowmans with him 😏

She wants to make dragons bro. Those little babies are going to be majority fire not ice.

Just to fantasize a little, without counting the dragons, who has the better army in westeroos now?

Taking away the dragons is like asking if we take away America's air superiority, who would have the strongest military. The dragons are her og military unit, they are her most important and most valuable asset.

Yeah there's no way Tyrion is keeping his job. Dany needs Davos in the meeting room.

Let's not gloss over that Ser Davos also once gave bad counsel and it led to Stannis' defeat at the Blackwater.

Speevy

Banned
At least the Euron actor is having a great time. He's written just to even the playing field (so far) but at least he is entertaining to watch on screen.

When people say they hate him are they talking about the performance or how he is written?

I would say both because he's supposed to be the living embodiment of why the Greyjoys are so feared at sea and he doesn't come across as any more fearsome than the average ironborn thug.

His actor needs to bring something mysterious or darkly malevolent to the role, and the visuals/battles do help.

Think about Tywin if this helps. Charles Dance's performance, and not anything I see on the battlefield, convinces me that he commands the obedience of his soldiers.

Let's not gloss over that Ser Davos also once gave bad counsel and it led to Stannis' defeat at the Blackwater.
Ser Davos is kinda the reason Stannis lost everything. He came up with the idea of getting the wildlings to serve Stannis, that didn't work, and Stannis & his army are stuck all the way up at the wall where it's cold with little food and then Jon kicks him out of castle black and he has no choice but to march on Winterfell with a fraction of the army that Ramsay had.

FiggyCal

Banned

I don't recall him giving bad advice. In hindsight, he should have avoided the widfire ship, but who could have reasonably predicted that wildfire even existed in this universe (besides the King and his council)? And it was Stannis' decision to continue with the siege despite losing a bunch of soldiers.

jm89

The pacing so far is fantastic, if this where the earlier seasons jon probably would have reached dragonstone at the season finale.

I swear cersei better die at the hands of a stark none of this suicide bullshit. Arya takes shithead joffries face and kills her, or even better with jamies face two birds with one stone.

Zolo

I don't recall him giving bad advice. In hindsight, he should have avoided the widfire ship, but who could have reasonably predicted that wildfire even existed in this universe (besides the King and his counsel)? And it was Stannis' decision to continue with the siege despite losing a bunch of soldiers.

And Stannis still would have won after that if it wasn't for the Tyrells teaming up with the Lannisters at the last second (though admittedly that should have been seen coming).

fuzaco

The pacing so far is fantastic, if this where the earlier seasons jon probably would have reached dragonstone at the season finale.

I swear cersei better die at the hands of a stark none of this suicide bullshit. Arya takes shithead joffries face and kills her, or even better with jamies face two birds with one stone.

I think Joffrey's actor retired from acting, so I don't see that happening. It's a shame, he was great, but understandable - he would either be typecast as a cunt forever, or everyone would just hate him regardless of his roles.

Now I'm thinking all of season 8 has to be against the white walkers. makes me kind of sad, we could have completely done without season 5 so season 7 had more room to breathe and then season 8 could tear everything down.

Cersei made the staff do a complete makeover? Hahaha! She has a whole squad dressed like her and having the same hair style. Is this a means to fool would be assassins?

she didn't make them go slim shady. just made them get haircuts. wardrobes too though, so yeah. she also makes the kingsguard dress in black armor too.

Everything is shaping up to have the Stark kids ending up with the throne. Not a single one of them is dead (well, Rob, but that was so long ago it doesn't count). 3/4 of them are reunited, with Arya en-route. I don't see how this ends any other way.

Unrelated episode 3 spoiler:
Finding out Olenna poisoned Joffrey was amazing.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I like that despite how smart Tyrion is, or anyone on Dany's counsel is, none of them have experience commanding an army.

I was going to suggest maybe Jon could give some advice but he's not exactly a battle commander either. He's the guy who rode his horse alone into the middle of a battle field.

Epix

I like that despite how smart Tyrion is, or anyone on Dany's counsel is, none of them have experience commanding an army.

I was going to suggest maybe Jon could give some advice but he's not exactly a battle commander either. He's the guy who rode his horse alone into the middle of a battle field.

Where's Robb when you need him?

Heshinsi

I don't recall him giving bad advice. In hindsight, he should have avoided the widfire ship, but who could have reasonably predicted that wildfire even existed in this universe (besides the King and his council)? And it was Stannis' decision to continue with the siege despite losing a bunch of soldiers.

Not according to Mel. He told Stannis not to take her, she stated that the Lord of Light would have delivered him KL had he had her with him.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I just realized shipping Dany and Jon means Jorah won't get any of that dragon booty. Now I'm sad for my Greyscale bro.

FiggyCal

Banned
Not according to Mel. He told Stannis not to take her, she stated that the Lord of Light would have delivered him KL had he had her with him.

Right, but that was based on the false premise that Stannis was the prince that was promised. As we later found out, that was all bunk.

Heshinsi

Plus there's something different about Dany's makeup and hair this season, I think. She looks more... IDK... approachable? Ready for romance? Am I talking crazy?

Dany's inner thoughts as Jon walked away...

UuNyHg2.gif

Well she did tell Daario that she had to make herself ready for marriage. The only logical option is Jon. Let's start planning this wedding guys.

taizuke

Could someone vomit poison? Cause I feel that's what Cercei would've done if she had been in the room when Lady Olenna reveal her involvement with Joffrey's death.

She would've had her guards held her down and somehow made her vomit. If successful she then would've made Olenna suffer the way the lady from the high septon and Elaria have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom