• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyB

I cannot fault this season for the pace of the events. But the logic of those events and the dialogue demonstrating the personalities taking part in those events is somewhat lacking.

Whether it is Cersei's longwinded torture speech or the pointless ballista demonstration or Baelish' weird choice to bring up his lust for Jon's adoptive Mom as Jon visited Ned's grave, the show has really lost the depth that characterized the first few seasons.

Thabk god they managed to get past the pacing issues of season 4 and 5.

Knights of Highgarden
f9046c2854f89a1911c5e5b705461246.jpg
This shit made me laugh looooooool

jfkgoblue

I cannot fault this season for the pace of the events. But the logic of those events and the dialogue demonstrating the personalities taking part in those events is somewhat lacking.

Whether it is Cersei's longwinded torture speech or the pointless ballista demonstration or Baelish' weird choice to bring up his lust for Jon's adoptive Mom as Jon visited Ned's grave, the show has really lost the depth that characterized the first few seasons.

It's simple, they needed a way to get Dany in the North to fight the WWs and her failing miserably at conquering the seven kingdoms and losing a dragon(it's been foreshadowed to almost certainity at this point) followed by Jon offering her refuge in a place where Cersei can't touch her. No southern army is going to march 1,000+ miles to Winterfell during winter.

Suddenly the White Walkers attack, and conveniently Dany is already at Winterfell and can use her remaining dragons to help defeat them.

I thought this was amusing

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainme...-naming-kids-after-game-of-thrones-characters

Daenerys Targaryen might be the First of Her Name, but thanks to Kiwi parents she won't be the last.

Information supplied by the Department of Internal Affairs under the Official Information Act reveals New Zealand is now home to at least five children called Daenerys.

No Kiwis have yet named their kids after the evil Queen Cersei or the stalwart Brienne of Tarth.

Sick burn.

she's still a power hungry jerk, fam

if you think the white walkers are the final boss then you haven't realized yet that GRRM is working you into expecting that

Uhh

no, that's just the narrative he's telling. Not everything is subversion. Dany is one of the heroes of this story.

jfkgoblue

Uhh

no, that's just the narrative he's telling. Not everything is subversion. Dany is one of the heroes of this story.
Dany is not a hero, she is more of an anti-hero.

If anyone is the hero of the story, it is Jon.

Afterall the series is named after him. A song of Ice and Fire.

UrbanRats

I agree, but i also feel they're rushing through to a fault.
Many feel like they posses outright teleportation now, and a battle like the one for Highgarden, they just gloss over?
It just feels weird on a pacing level, even beyond the logical one.

Tall4Life

Uhh

GRRM is known for subversion and yet he won't subvert what most people think will happen in the end game, the final piece of his story that he's been building for more than almost two decades?

Dany vs Jon is going to be the GOAT

GRRM is known for subversion and yet he won't subvert what most people think will happen in the end game, the final piece of his story that he's been building for more than almost two decades?

Dany vs Jon is going to be the GOAT

But he isn't subverting tropes for the sake of it, which is what it would be if your theory was correct.

Just of curiosity, how did all the English slang go down with you Americans, were you googling c**t and t**t after the ep?

Lol why are you asking this now this many seasons into the most watched show in the US. They've said cunt and twat before. And everyone knows those words anyways.

jfkgoblue

She will come around, they will form some sort of alliance, I'm sure. The seeds have already been planted. My assumption is at some point she will fly one of her dragons north to see the white walkers for herself.
She will only go North once it becomes obvious that she isn't going to win the war(after she loses a dragon). She isn't going to go north for any other reason.

Dany does sort of border on hero to anti-hero but to be fair, has GRRM ever outright confirmed that "ice and fire" in the series title is a direct reference to Jon Snow's lineage? I'm inclined to believe dany + jon = ice and fire just the way Melisandre put it.
But he isn't subverting tropes for the sake of it, which is what it would be if your theory was correct.
I agree. Having twists and turns just for the sole purpose of subverting expectations doesn't make the story better. I mean, having the whole story be a guessing game the entire time isn't the best way to start, continue and finish the story.

it's had enough twists and turns, we've seen a lot of the good willed characters suffer, some suffered literally to death, and we've just begun tasting some light with Ramsay being defeated so it'd be nicer to see the good guys winning and getting together a little more.

as far as subverting expectations go, I didn't expect Dany's military to be devastated, and especially not so quickly, so there's that.

Mrbob

So I was thinking about now that there's 10 episodes how they will divvy up the plot points with the remaining time.

My guess is they resolve King's Landing vs Dany this season and spend the entire final season on the White Walkers. Is that a logical assumption?

If so, and next season's episodes are each longer than the normal one hour, that will leave an awful lot of time to kill just on battling White Walkers and figuring out how to defeat them. I mean, obviously, there will be other stuff too.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is, I've always thought the show would eventually turn the White Walkers into at least partially sympathetic figures, and eventually tell us their true goal. I could see them dedicating time going forward to seeing the story from The Night King's POV, and maybe a little backstory for him too.

Would people like that or no?

I'm thinking this is what will happen. I'm just hoping one or more of the dragons aren't sacrificed in the taking of Kings Landing. The show already screwed up the direwolves, don't need a dragon or two going down before the battle with the undead.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I could see an ending where Jon and Dany die fighting the white walkers and basically saving mankind with Cersei still on the throne. Evil wins in a way but good also triumphs against an even greater evil.

Sadist

Cool episode again. I know we're having weekly "man dat speedtravel/teleportation perks" discussions, but who gives a shit. Its good tv. Some random thoughts.

- Daenny pls. You and your bullshit bla bla. I still don't care for her and she still sounds like some broken record. Hey Jon, i'm the rightful heir to the Iron Throne, bend your knee, you northern peasant. Tyrion talking some sense into her is good.

- Good guy Jon, once again. He keeps calm and dishes out the truth.

- Davos should write everyone's speeches. Hell, he could make Hotpie ascend the Iron Throne if he wanted to. All hail Davos.

- Tyrion: "I came up to brood about my failure, but seeing you here, you are far better at brooding"

- Jorah gonna join Deanny and die for her. What a terrible thing to waste your life on. Oh well, Samwell got a backhanded compliment I suposse.

- Why is Euron such a loveable ass? He's clearly positioned as the guy to hate: wonder where they will take Euron.

- Welp, Cersei going in for the kill with the Sandsnakes. Expected, but cruel letting her watch as her daughter rots away. Diabolical.

- Oh and Cersei not giving any fucks on everyone knowing about her and Jaime.

- The best part about this episode is Casterly Rock being invaded by the Unsullied, but Jaime's army invading High Garden.

- Olenna going out like a boss. First she calls Joffrey a cunt and before she dies she drops the I killed Joffrey bomb. Even when she dies, Olenna is the greatest diva in this show. I'm going go miss her :(

wandering

Banned
Euron receiving such a grand fanfare in King's Landing feels weird to me. I got the impression that the Greyjoys were never well-liked by anyone else in Westeros.

Sadist

Jaime said so in his conversation with Euron; these people jeered at my sister not that very long ago, so don't get used to it.

Ferrio

Banned
I hope Dany dies fighting the walkers. All her talk about freeing people and wanting to be a just ruler, she hasn't actually sacrificed anything for it. Any hardships or sacrifices she has done has been just for herself or her quest to regain the throne. Jon on the other hand has gone through hell and not just for himself.

OrionX

I could see an ending where Jon and Dany die fighting the white walkers and basically saving mankind with Cersei still on the throne. Evil wins in a way but good also triumphs against an even greater evil.

I still think Sansa's a possible contender, either by being one of the last viable survivors or through a last minute betrayal. Maybe she becomes more like Cersei than anyone expected. Then there would be a Stark on the throne, but not necessarily a "good" one.

Nameless

I hope Dany dies fighting the walkers. All her talk about freeing people and wanting to be a just ruler, she hasn't actually sacrificed anything for it. Any hardships or sacrifices she has done has been just for herself or her quest to regain the throne. Jon on the other hand has gone through hell and not just for himself.

"You stand in the presence of Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons"

"This is Jon Snow"

Mattenth

Tyrion basically cursed at them during his trial, yet he made all the plans for Dany to spare them all.

He was drunk :p

I LOVED this episode, though the Danny/John meeting was underwhelming. I thought Cersi, Jamie and Olenna were just fucking spot on the entire time.

My question is... Is there a spy on Danny's council? At the end of the episode, I felt like they were setting up Varys as a double agent.

I need to rewatch the scene between him and Melissandra. It felt like there could be more to it.

She will come around, they will form some sort of alliance, I'm sure. The seeds have already been planted. My assumption is at some point she will fly one of her dragons north to see the white walkers for herself.

She could've told Jon to bend the knee if he wanted his dragonglass. That's what Cersei would've done. Dany chose peace, for now at least, with a potential ally.
This decision making is after she found out Dorne and the Ironborn are no longer there to help her. Shes gonna learn in the next episode, shes gonna need Jon more now that the tyrells are dead.

qcf x2

Cool episode again. I know we're having weekly "man dat speedtravel/teleportation perks" discussions, but who gives a shit. Its good tv. Some random thoughts.

- Daenny pls. You and your bullshit bla bla. I still don't care for her and she still sounds like some broken record. Hey Jon, i'm the rightful heir to the Iron Throne, bend your knee, you northern peasant. Tyrion talking some sense into her is good.

That's the problem with her. She's a broken record, and as 1-dimensional as characters get. I really wish they would spend less episode time on her. They keep trying to convince us she doesn't suck, like hey she freed some slaves and this army of savages follows her because she has dragons, she has a hundred self given names that she wants you to know every 10 seconds, she's cool peoples, trust me... and then she shows up as daft and unlikable as ever.

Contrast her to Cersei. We are made to dislike Cersei, but who can take away from her accomplishments or deny her character growth? She helps the show run, while Danerys is just force fed, TV dinner quality disappointment.

As for Euron, I'm thinking Tormund is going to have a great 1v1 with him.

Lastly, any excuse-making for the episodes by saying things like "well, they have to finish the story in the next X number of episodes, so they kinda have to skip stuff" is silly; who do you think imposed the lesser episode count? They did! These writers are just not confident that they can fill 2 full seasons worth of quality content, which is probably for the best as it already feels like a spinoff this season.

Like most of you, I'm Team Euron until his inevitable, bloody end.

It's simple, they needed a way to get Dany in the North to fight the WWs and her failing miserably at conquering the seven kingdoms and losing a dragon(it's been foreshadowed to almost certainity at this point) followed by Jon offering her refuge in a place where Cersei can't touch her. No southern army is going to march 1,000+ miles to Winterfell during winter.

Suddenly the White Walkers attack, and conveniently Dany is already at Winterfell and can use her remaining dragons to help defeat them.

Interesting theory. Always figured Cersei would go down and then Dany would turn her attention north.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

The only people Dany has ever fought were slavers. To hundreds of thousands of freed slaves in Essos, Dany is a certifiable hero. Also an anti-hero would have more than likely attacked KL and shrugged about the civilian casualties.

If she was a hero she would let the North rule themselves.
That has nothing to do with being a hero or not. Even Ned Stark in the same position would have insisted on the integrity of the kingdoms. He did in fact do so when the Greyjoys first attempted to break away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom