• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
He sees past and future. He didn't specify when or which wedding.

Only proof we have of Bran seeing the future is his vision of a dragon flying over KL right? In which case Dany saw the future as well, more of a prophecy. Unless everything is cyclical and everything has already happened and will happen again, then boo for shitty story telling.

gun_haver

The only people Dany has ever fought were slavers. To hundreds of thousands of freed slaves in Essos, Dany is a certifiable hero. Also an anti-hero would have more than likely attacked KL and shrugged about the civilian casualties.

That has nothing to do with being a hero or not. Even Ned Stark in the same position would have insisted on the integrity of the kingdoms. He did in fact do so when the Greyjoys first attempted to break away.

Yeah but she's also a massively entitled rich kid who is going to war, where tens of thousands of people, likely tens of thousands of civilians on top, will die because she thinks she deserves to be in charge of the world because her family used to be. She might be going about it in as humane a way as she can, but she's still a conquerer and warmonger now. What she was doing in Essos was pretty justifiable - she had an army and used it to overthrow slavetraders. Westeros is fucked up but nobody is exactly begging her to invade it. If she was mainly concerned with making the world a better place, she should have stayed in Essos and kept up her campaign there. She isn't, she's mainly concerned with her birthright, to her Essos was just practice. She had to be convinced to stay there as long as she did.

It would be predictable but kind of lame to end the show with Jon and Dany holding hands on the iron throne. This show was never about doing the normal expected thing.

Dany going Mad Queen would be way more awesome. And they haven't stopped alluding the she is her fathers daughter for the entire show. They should do something with it.

Cool episode again. I know we're having weekly "man dat speedtravel/teleportation perks" discussions, but who gives a shit. Its good tv. Some random thoughts.

- Daenny pls. You and your bullshit bla bla. I still don't care for her and she still sounds like some broken record. Hey Jon, i'm the rightful heir to the Iron Throne, bend your knee, you northern peasant. Tyrion talking some sense into her is good.

- Good guy Jon, once again. He keeps calm and dishes out the truth.

- Davos should write everyone's speeches. Hell, he could make Hotpie ascend the Iron Throne if he wanted to. All hail Davos.

- Tyrion: "I came up to brood about my failure, but seeing you here, you are far better at brooding"

- Jorah gonna join Deanny and die for her. What a terrible thing to waste your life on. Oh well, Samwell got a backhanded compliment I suposse.

- Why is Euron such a loveable ass? He's clearly positioned as the guy to hate: wonder where they will take Euron.

- Welp, Cersei going in for the kill with the Sandsnakes. Expected, but cruel letting her watch as her daughter rots away. Diabolical.

- Oh and Cersei not giving any fucks on everyone knowing about her and Jaime.

- The best part about this episode is Casterly Rock being invaded by the Unsullied, but Jaime's army invading High Garden.

- Olenna going out like a boss. First she calls Joffrey a cunt and before she dies she drops the I killed Joffrey bomb. Even when she dies, Olenna is the greatest diva in this show. I'm going go miss her :(

Did Olenna reveal that she was behind Joffrey's death in an earlier season? Somebody that I work with was shocked to hear this, but for some reason I remember her admitting it to another character.

Mrbob

It would be predictable but kind of lame to end the show with Jon and Dany holding hands on the iron throne. This show was never about doing the normal expected thing.

Dany going Mad Queen would be way more awesome. And they haven't stopped alluding the she is her fathers daughter for the entire show. They should do something with it.

Mad Queen Dany and Mad King Euron is the proper way to end this show.

She's not mad. Its interesting but yea not gonna happen.

I think we'll get Jon and Dany ending but with the understanding that Dany can't have kids so it's inevitable the game of thrones will begin again down the road.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
"You stand in the presence of Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons"

"This is Jon Snow"
All of that 100% Messandei. You rarely if ever hear her proclaimed like that when's messandei isn't around. For example, the emerging betweenness Yara and Dany had no such title declarations. I think it's just Messandei flexing her oratory skills.

That has nothing to do with being a hero or not. Even Ned Stark in the same position would have insisted on the integrity of the kingdoms. He did in fact do so when the Greyjoys first attempted to break away.
which is why if there is a hero in GoT, it's just Jon. Jon hasnt forced any of the banner men of the north to swear fealty to him nor has he punished any who joined with the Boltons or those who sat to the side.

I don't hate Dany, sort of rooting for her.
team night king here
she's a great character, and none of her scenes felt flat or boring to me. I just don't see her as a hero.

And of course this is my very liberal, 21st century point of view lol.

Honestly the simple solution to the north south issue is pretty obvious: She weds Jon. The child would, therefore, be both the rightful heir of the north and the south. Much like Cercei, she could promise this once the war was won. Or perhaps, she will promise this is Jon can prove to the south the white walkers exist.

Ferrio

Banned
Honestly the simple solution tot he north south issue is pretty obvious: She weds Jon. The child would, therefore, be both the rightful heir of the north and the south. Much like Cercei, she could promise this once the war was won. Or perhaps, she will promise this is Jon can prove to the south the white walkers exist.

She can't have kids, she's infertile.

qcf x2

All of that 100% Messandei. You rarely if ever hear her proclaimed like that when's messandei isn't around. For example, the emerging betweenness Yara and Dany had no such title declarations. I think it's just Messandei flexing her oratory skills.

Yeah right dude, Danerys has long since passed Viserys in self announcements.

He started by saying he was sorry she had to suffer in their own home, that the evening was beautiful etc. He was alluding to the rape.

Also, Sansa was clearly disturbed by his statement.

Heshinsi

which is why if there is a hero in GoT, it's just Jon. Jon hasnt forced any of the banner men of the north to swear fealty to him nor has he punished any who joined with the Boltons or those who sat to the side.

I don't hate Dany, sort of rooting for her.
team night king here
she's a great character, and none of her scenes felt flat or boring to me. I just don't see her as a hero.

And of course this is my very liberal, 21st century point of view lol.
In a position of authority Jon executed a man for not following his orders. There is absolutely no proof that' Jon wouldn't insist that a lord attempting to defect, to either course correct or expect a course correction to be enforced on him. Jon didn't want to be Commander of the Night's watch, but once the position was his, he insisted on, demanded, and even executed to insure the authority of the office was never jeapordised.

Why is that different from the claimant of the seven kingdoms insisting on the integrity of said kingdoms? Why is it right that Jon can execute a man for defying his authority, but then it being wrong that a monarch insist that the authority of the crown also be respected?

Heshinsi

I'm still wondering what the hell happened to Edmure Tully. Did he retake Riverrun?
No his ass is still rotting in a Frey dungeon because Arya couldn't give two shits.

"Objective complete. Frey targets neutralised. No one out!"

jfkgoblue

The only people Dany has ever fought were slavers. To hundreds of thousands of freed slaves in Essos, Dany is a certifiable hero. Also an anti-hero would have more than likely attacked KL and shrugged about the civilian casualties.

When she kills thousands with dragon fire to sit the Iron Throne will you still call her a hero?

When her Dothraki horde pillages and rapes innocents, is she still a hero then?

She is a conqueror, not a hero.

In a position of authority Jon executed a man for not following his orders. There is absolutely no proof that' Jon wouldn't insist that a lord attempting to defect, to either course correct or expect a course correction to be enforced on him. Jon didn't want to be Commander of the Night's watch, but once the position was his, he insisted on, demanded, and even executed to insure the authority of the office was never jeapordised.

Why is that different from the claimant of the seven kingdoms insisting on the integrity of said kingdoms? Why is it right that Jon can execute a man for defying his authority, but then it being wrong that a monarch insist that the authority of the crown also be respected?
Because being lord commander of a militarized organization is different from being the king of a territory.

He's bound by strict rules, traditions, and a culture, and when he tried to defy and change it by accepting the wildlings, he gets knifed and quits.

He's now in a better position to lead how he sees fit.

Heshinsi

When she kills thousands with dragon fire to sit the Iron Throne will you still call her a hero?

When her Dothraki horde pillages and rapes innocents, is she still a hero then?

She is a conqueror, not a hero.
Except she didn't kill thousands with her dragons, in fact she's losing battles now due to her refusing to do just that. Jon himself points that out this episode. I don't know what version of this show some of you are watching, but I'm feeling ripped off by HBO that I'm not getting this alternate cut you guys seem to have.

jfkgoblue

Honestly the simple solution tot he north south issue is pretty obvious: She weds Jon. The child would, therefore, be both the rightful heir of the north and the south. Much like Cercei, she could promise this once the war was won. Or perhaps, she will promise this is Jon can prove to the south the white walkers exist.
Jon could give 2 shits about that. He only cares about the White Walkers, that solves nothing.
Except she didn't kill thousands with her dragons, in fact she's losing battles now due to her refusing to do just that. Jon himself points that out this episode. I don't know what version of this show some of you are watching, but I'm feeling ripped off by HBO that I'm not getting this alternate cut you guys seem to have.
She brought dragons to conquer Westeros, she will use them.

Heshinsi

Because being lord commander of a militarized organization is different from being the king of a territory.

He's bound by strict rules, traditions, and a culture, and when he tried to defy and change it by accepting the wildlings, he gets knifed and quits.

He's now in a better position to lead how he sees fit.
I was referring to Jon's execution of Slynt who told him to fuck off when he ordered him to go to the other castle.

I want to see Jon with a full fledge powerhouse army, the battle of the bastards was a bit of a bummer but he was working with a much smaller force then Ramsey.
He ain't no Robb, but I feel like he still has the potential considering all of his exploits.

rtcn63

She could break if she lost a dragon. I'm not talking mustache twirling evil. But maybe just become the type who would burn Kings Landing to the ground in order to rule it.

There's definitely a theme of completing losing it once you lose a child. And those dragons are her children.

Bran sounds like he's prime to start a girl help thread in the OT

Only proof we have of Bran seeing the future is his vision of a dragon flying over KL right? In which case Dany saw the future as well, more of a prophecy. Unless everything is cyclical and everything has already happened and will happen again, then boo for shitty story telling.

No the dragon could have been the past. The future was the wildfire being used.

Y'all know the last person standing is gonna win the throne, right? And you must know it's gonna be Theon because he's damn good at not dying against all odds

THe only fitting ending for a world going to hell is a broken man half heartedly ruling over skeletons

I want to see Jon with a full fledge powerhouse army, the battle of the bastards was a bit of a bummer but he was working with a much smaller force then Ramsey.
He ain't no Robb, but I feel like he still has the potential considering all of his exploits.

His plan was solid, but he fell for the trap that was set for him. But I dont fault him, most people would risk their lives to save their littile brother.

Heshinsi

Jon could give 2 shits about that. He only cares about the White Walkers, that solves nothing.

She brought dragons to conquer Westeros, she will use them.
If Dany turns her dragons and orders them to put cities to flames, I will begrudgingly concede your point. But so long as it's armies she fights, nah. A dragon is a trump card. Just the sight of it alone made kingdoms kneel the last time around. And this time Westeros is facing a monarch who doesn't want innocent people killed. If Dany didn't care she'd be sitting on the Iron Throne with Cersei's head on spike by now.

As for the Dothraki, I honestly don't think Dany will use them to take cities. They are the type of force to use in the field. The Dothraki are not city sieging, wall breaching, and sack a city type of units. So unless Dany takes cities and then afterwards invites the Dothraki to run loose within them, that argument makes no sense. The Khals used their khalasar's to invade defenceless villages and the likes, they aren't built to take cities. The new Khal isn't a rape and pillage leader, and the Dothraki follow her and will do as she tells them.

jfkgoblue

If Dany turns her dragons and orders them to put cities to flames, I will begrudgingly concede your point. But so long as it's armies she fights, nah. A dragon is a trump card. Just the sight of it alone made kingdoms kneel the last time around. And this time Westeros is facing a monarch who doesn't want innocent people killed. If Dany didn't care she'd be sitting on the Iron Throne with Cersei's head on spike by now.

As for the Dothraki, I honestly don't think Dany will use them to take cities. They are the type of force to use in the field. The Dothraki are not city sieging, wall breaching, and sack a city type of units. So unless Dany takes cities and then afterwards invites the Dothraki to run loose within them, that argument makes no sense. The Khals used their khalasar's to invade defenceless villages and the likes, they aren't built to take cities.
Raping and pillaging is a core tenant of Dothraki culture and Dany knows this and will not be able to stop it. Destroying fields with dragon fire will also indirecty kills thousands.

The people of Westeros never wanted her to come and save them, all she is doing is causing more death and destruction right as winter is arriving just because she is entitled and feels like her "birthright" was stolen.(Nevermind letting the person ahead of her in this line of succession die)

I wonder if Arya will disguise herself as Jamie and kill Cersei in a moment of "passion". The look on Cersei's face would be priceless. So far Arya has made true on all of her promises, so since she said she's gonna kill Cersei, I'm pretty sure she actually is

Tonky

For some reason I feel like Jon Snow is a red herring. Jorah would not have made it this far just to die for Dany...all of what he's been through has to be for something. They also keep bringing up his father, who was LC of the NW. I hope he somehow gets Longclaw back from Jon, then goes on to become the 1000th commander of the NW.

I wonder if Arya will disguise herself as Jamie and kill Cersei in a moment of "passion". The look on Cersei's face would be priceless. So far Arya has made true on all of her promises, so since she said she's gonna kill Cersei, I'm pretty sure she actually is
For that to happen, she would first have to kill Jaime.

WaterAstro

Cersei will go down on Jamie for some D, then see it's not there.

Looks up and see Arya take off the mask.

Heshinsi

Raping and pillaging is a core tenant of Dothraki culture and Dany knows this and will not be able to stop it. Destroying fields with dragon fire will also indirecty kills thousands.

The people of Westeros never wanted her to come and save them, all she is doing is causing more death and destruction right as winter is arriving just because she is entitled and feels like her "birthright" was stolen.(Nevermind letting the person ahead of her in this line of succession die)

Yeah, I don't think we're ever going to see eye to eye on this issue, especially with the bolded. So what exactly were you expecting to happen to the guy who abused, sold, beat, drew a sword in a holy pace, pointed said sword at her pregnant belly, and then told her husband he'll rip out her baby? Not crossing the seas is also a core tenant of Dothraki culture, but they did for her. Yet suddenly they won't listen to their dragon riding Khal?

For some reason I feel like Jon Snow is a red herring. Jorah would not have made it this far just to die for Dany...all of what he's been through has to be for something. They also keep bringing up his father, who was LC of the NW. I hope he somehow gets Longclaw back from Jon, then goes on to become the 1000th commander of the NW.

I could see Jon trading in Longclaw for a possible Stark Valyrian sword if they make a new one.

jfkgoblue

Jon Snow is the main character of the books and thus show. He is definitely not a red herring for Jorah Mormont.
Yeah, I don't think we're ever going to see eye to eye on this issue, especially with the bolded. So what exactly were you expecting to happen to the guy who abused, sold, beat, and then drew a sword, pointed it at her pregnant belly, and then told her husband he'll rip out her baby? Not crossing the seas is also a core tenant of Dothraki culture, but they did for her. Yet suddenly they won't listen to their dragon riding Khal?
That was pointed at that it is hardly her birthright, not to mention that the Targs forbade women from inheriting the throne. If she really cared about the rightful ruler of Westeros she wouldn't have let him die.

I don't understand how bringing war to a country already torn apart by war right as winter starts could ever be considered an heroic thing to do.

Knights of Highgarden
f9046c2854f89a1911c5e5b705461246.jpg

Not their fault they lost the power behind it all. A warrior of legend, a man who knew no fear on the battlefield. A warrior of legend!

untitled-263.gif

Madness had its day :'(

Wasn't the mad king and his sister also married? It may be unofficial but that similar power structure doesn't bode well for Cercei and Jaime in the long run.

Not their fault they lost the power behind it all. A warrior of legend, a man who knew no fear on the battlefield. A warrior of legend!

untitled-263.gif

Madness had its day :'(

Aside from Robert, it's a nice to compare Lord Tyrell with the other lords of the great houses in terms of physical shape. We never saw Tywin fight, but I bet he still could and we know Ed can fight.

So we can contribute Tyrell's physical shape to the decadence of the Reach, which in turn made them weak in terms of fighting strength.

Volimar

I hope Dany dies fighting the walkers. All her talk about freeing people and wanting to be a just ruler, she hasn't actually sacrificed anything for it. Any hardships or sacrifices she has done has been just for herself or her quest to regain the throne. Jon on the other hand has gone through hell and not just for himself.

She was barely a woman when she was traded to Drogo and raped.

Yeah there's no way Tyrion is keeping his job. Dany needs Davos in the meeting room.

The same Davos that had the archers charge in during the battle of the bastards so that Ramsay's forces were able to surround them?

kyser73

It's a protocol thing - it's still common for monarchs & royals to be introduced by their titles, and even IRL they can be ridiculous. This is Prince Phillip's full title:

His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich, Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Extra Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Member of the Order of Merit, Grand Master and First and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Knight of the Order of Australia, Additional Member of the Order of New Zealand, Extra Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Royal Chief of the Order of Logohu, Extraordinary Companion of the Order of Canada, Extraordinary Commander of the Order of Military Merit, Lord of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Privy Councillor of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, Personal Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty, Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom.

Dany's nowhere near that.

Euron is awesome. Anyone who takes a knife to the balls and keeps fighting gets my vote.

I like that Cersei made all her handmaidens cut their hair.

Speaking of Cersei...she's the baddest. Beautiful revenge on the Dornish and totally NGAF about shagging her brother.

It's a protocol thing - it's still common for monarchs & royals to be introduced by their titles, and even IRL they can be ridiculous. This is Prince Phillip's full title:

Monarchs of the UK were still called King/Queen of France ages after they lost it. :p They like to big themselves up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom