• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
This scene is why i was excited to see the Tyrells march into battle this season.
That entire army was for show. Shit someone should have told the High Sparrow so I could have enjoyed watching the Faith Militant beat them with their sticks.

"No stop! Stop! We yield! We yield!"

tumblr_nok9vguWVT1uqgal7o1_400.gif

"Golden roses indeed!"

Nameless

Margaery was still imprisoned when the Tyrells did there show of force move (still the most badass display of military power in the show). I thought Tommen was already having the High Sparrow influencing his decisions before the bit where Marg got freed. Hell it even looked like she was surprised when Tommen showed up.

This will never not be spectacular.

untitled-1311.gif

untitled-13-1.gif

untitled-158.gif

She was, but Sparrow allowed them to visit. Her surprise was at Olenna and company showing up to save her. Remember the reason she didn't have to take the Walk of Atonement and was released was because she "brought another into the light of the Faith" or whatever non-sense High Sparrow spouted.

That was a really cool scene though. Fucking Mace...

Tawpgun

So

I thought because Bran was marked by the night king, him going through the wall would kill its magic and let the army through. Was that ever a thing?

-griffy-

Banned
So

I thought because Bran was marked by the night king, him going through the wall would kill its magic and let the army through. Was that ever a thing?

Just pure speculation from fans. We also don't know that it's not true at this point as they haven't gone to the wall yet.

FiggyCal

Banned
So

I don't think it's clear at this point.

It was a thing specifically for the cave that the three eyed raven was staying in. I don't know if it applies to the wall.

There would be some inconsistencies either way... like, for example, how a wight got past the wall in season 1 and why did the night king try to kill Bran and the other three eyed raven if he needed them.

Heshinsi

She was, but Sparrow allowed them to visit. Her surprise was at Olenna and company showing up to save her. Remember the reason she didn't have to take the Walk of Atonement and was released was because she "brought another into the light of the Faith" or whatever non-sense High Sparrow spouted.

That was a really cool scene though. Fucking Mace...

Yeah you're right. Margaery thought she had a game plan and she never able to see it play out.

I don't think it's clear at this point.

It was a thing specifically for the cave that the three eyed raven was staying in. I don't know if it applies to the wall.

There would be some inconsistencies either way... like, for example, how a wight got past the wall in season 1 and why did the night king try to kill Bran and the other three eyed raven if he needed them.

Uncle Benjen tol Bran he couldn't get past the wall due to there being magic that keeps his kind out :/

-griffy-

Banned
It was implied because the old 3 eyed raven said they can get into the magic protected tree fort because Bran was marked.

Right, but he never said anything about the wall being affected by that too, that's just something fans speculated might happen. It was never a thing explicitly stated in the show.

FiggyCal

Banned
Yeah you're right. Margaery thought she had a game plan and she never able to see it play out.

Uncle Benjen tol Bran he couldn't get past the wall due to there being magic that keeps his kind out :/

Yep. That would be another inconsistency (from the wight attack we saw in season 1). I don't know if there's a way around it that won't have its problems. Like if Bran is really a key for magic barriers, he shouldn't have crossed the wall and I would hope he knows better.

FStubbs

That entire army was for show. Shit someone should have told the High Sparrow so I could have enjoyed watching the Faith Militant beat them with their sticks.

"No stop! Stop! We yield! We yield!"

tumblr_nok9vguWVT1uqgal7o1_400.gif

"Golden roses indeed!"

The vast majority of that army were Tarly and other bannermen who defected.

Heshinsi

Right, but he never said anything about the wall being affected by that too, that's just something fans speculated might happen. It was never a thing explicitly stated in the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecps6L5M0Gs

"The wall is not just ice and stone. Ancient spells were cast into its foundations. Strong magic to protect men from what lies beyond. And while it stands, the dead can not pass, I can not pass."

This is what I forgot. Benjen is like half whitewalker or something. So it implies there is magic guarding the wall.

Not just implied. We're straight up told that there is.

Curufinwe

I don't know if Davos still remembers that. It doesn't seem to bother him at all.

He wasn't mad at Brienne after she gloated about decapitating Stannis because he realized it was her right as Renly's sworn protector, so it would make little sense for him to hold a personal grudge against Tyrion for defending the city he was in charge of saving.

Tawpgun

"The wall is not just ice and stone. Ancient spells were cast into its foundations. Strong magic to protect men from what lies beyond. And while it stands, the dead can not pass, I can not pass."

Not just implied. We're straight up told that there is.
There's inconsistency in that.

besides they "why did the wights try to kill bran when he was the key to getting past the wall" theres also the matter of the reanimated wight that freaked everyone out in Castle Black in season 1. They got through. Maybe because it wasn't a wight yet? idk.

Heshinsi

besides they "why did the wights try to kill bran when he was the key to getting past the wall" theres also the matter of the reanimated wight that freaked everyone out in Castle Black in season 1. They got through. Maybe because it wasn't a wight yet? idk.

The inconsistency is that the writers are seemingly forgetting what the right hand is doing from the left.

FiggyCal

Banned
He wasn't mad at Brienne after she gloated about decapitating Stannis because he realized it was her right as Renly's sworn protector, so it would make little sense for him to hold a personal grudge against Tyrion for defending the city he was in charge of saving.

You're right in a way. I think he showed some emotion to Brienne, but not to the degree of holding a vendetta. It just seems like his interaction with Tyrion was more cute than anything else considering what happened.

I agree. I also think that Davos, for whatever reason really believes in everything, as much as he disregards the Gods, Meli's methods and so much more, he knows for some reason his purpose is protecting the people, he has zero reason, zero incentive to stick around yet he does. Not only that, but he contributes a lot. So he wouldn't be mad at Tyrion, he knows there are far more important things to concern himself over. Plus, His son died as a casualty of war, really can't pin that on Tyrion.

Vashetti

Banned
I wanna see the Mountain do something.

They've been teasing him doing stuff for so long, but so far he's smashed a guy's head and ripped a Sparrow's head off.

I'm surprised they had the restraint not to have him chopping up loads of Sparrows last season.

-griffy-

Banned

Let me be more clear: It's never stated in the show that the mark the Night King left on Bran would destroy the magic in the wall and allow the White Walkers to pass. That has so far only been speculation from fans because it did break the magic barrier protecting the Three Eyed Raven's cave. We don't know that this applies to the magic in the wall too.

(It should also be noted that they didn't kill Bran during the cave attack and you could argue they let him escape, and that we haven't seen a wight pass the wall but a corpse of a person who died north of the wall brought south who then turned after the fact, so they wouldn't really be inconsistencies if this does end up being true).

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I'm curious what effect Jorah's return will have on the crew. Dany's trust in Tyrion as her hand has to be wavering after his strategic blunders. She got to be getting more desperate too as her forces are now spread thin and her fleet is gone.

Also ... Cersei is an evil and awful person who always hated Tyrion and blamed him for their mother's death. So I don't think her opinion or hatred will change now that she knows he was never guilty in the murder of her son. That being said ... Jamie was just given an entirely new perspective regarding his brother's motives behind killing their father. So I'm curious if Jamie will be just as hell bent as he was on helping Cersei. He should feel no guilt for freeing him now.

FiggyCal

Banned

That's absolutely possible. But I'd think that the powerful magic barrier that prevents the dead from getting through would also prevent the dead's magic from getting though also - but maybe not. I don't think it's a huge deal at all how that one wight got through. I would be pissed though if Bran basically screwed everyone over again.

Heshinsi

Let me be more clear: It's never stated in the show that the mark the Night King left on Bran would destroy the magic in the wall and allow the White Walkers to pass. That has so far only been speculation from fans because it did break the magic barrier protecting the Three Eyed Raven's cave. We don't know that this applies to the magic in the wall too.

(It should also be noted that they didn't kill Bran during the cave attack and you could argue they let him escape, and that we haven't seen a wight pass the wall but a corpse of a person who died north of the wall brought south who then turned after the fact, so they wouldn't really be inconsistencies if this does end up being true).

Sorry I thought you were stating that the show never explicitly mentioned that the wall had magic build into it. I understand what you mean now.

FiggyCal

Banned
Dumb question but what happened to that one guy who helped Daenarys in the earlier episodes? That dark haired good looking dude with the beard.

Daario got left behind so that Dany can focus on conquering and get married if need be for political reasons.

If that's who you're referring to.

Vashetti

Banned
Dumb question but what happened to that one guy who helped Daenarys in the earlier episodes? That dark haired good looking dude with the beard.

Daario was left behind to rule Meereen.

I still can't get over the feeling of relief everytime the map no longer pans to Essos in the intro.

Tawpgun

That's absolutely possible. But I'd think that the powerful magic barrier that prevents the dead from getting through would also prevent the dead's magic from getting though also - but maybe not. I don't think it's a huge deal at all how that one wight got through. I would be pissed though if Bran basically screwed everyone over again.

Lol, whitewalkers and impending winter aside, I always forget that most of the Westeros conflict in the series is due to Bran not listening to his mom and climbing that tower.

Jacob4815

I wanna see the Mountain do something.

They've been teasing him doing stuff for so long, but so far he's smashed a guy's head and ripped a Sparrow's head off.

I'm surprised they had the restraint not to have him chopping up loads of Sparrows last season.

I agree.
I will be mad if he won't fight a fucking dragon in this season.

Pagusas

Elden Member
is there a consensus on if the Sparrow was playing the game or if he was really a righteous man following the good book?

i think Ned would investigated Jon Arryn's dead anyway

Yes. But Cat wouldn't have gone apeshit trying to find the Lannister that tried to kill Bran.

Imagine if Bran (now at winterfell) recognizes Littlefinger's knife and tells Sansa that it was he who plotted to kill Bran, and not any Lannister.

Ferrio

Banned
Yes. But Cat wouldn't have gone apeshit trying to find the Lannister that tried to kill Bran.

Imagine if Bran (now at winterfell) recognizes Littlefinger's knife and tells Sansa that it was he who plotted to kill Bran, and not any Lannister.

LF would have done something else to continue fucking everyone over. He started the whole thing, he wasn't/isn't going to stop until he's dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom