• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiggyCal

Banned
I dont get the hate for Tarly.

Did you see what Cersei Did? She wiped out an entire house!!

Tarly even tells Jaime that he saw what Cersei does to those who disobey her.

If he goes against her, he knows that she can label him a traitor against the realm and wipe out his house.

He made a decision to back Cersei reluctantly.

Jesus, I feel like people just watch this show and post on neogaf and miss every dialogue. They pretty much spelled this out.

Like it or not, Cersei is the protector of the realm. Her commands outweighs allegiance to any house.

I'm sure someone can better explain to you why its bad, but it's weird to me because: House Tarly was loyal to the Targaryens during Robert's Rebellion, so you would think they'd be supportive to Dany. Secondly, they were loyal to the Tyrells as well who are now supporting Dany's claim. And even then, it doesn't make sense to be okay with what Cersei did or trust her afterwards.

I think a lot of people here just hate Cersei, and try to diminish her victories and her intelligence.

She has Jamie who, despite being a kingslayer is a highly respected commander. His calming approach is highly persuasive.

No one could have pulled that move with Tarly. He is the commander of a massive army of the reach.

What other way to get him on your side by offering him Warden of the South?

If he refuses, He's in open rebellion with the crown. He gets executed and his house is wiped out. He fully knows that offering him Wardenship is a veiled threat.

I cant believe people don't see this.

He's a man of honor, an asshole, but a man of honor. He is doing what Ned did. Fall in to protect his house.

Nameless

If he goes against her, he knows that she can label him a traitor against the realm and wipe out his house.

Jesus, I feel like people just watch this show and post on neogaf and miss every dialogue. They pretty much spelled this out.

Like it or not, Cersei is the protector of the realm. Her commands outweighs allegiance to any house.

Cersei played on his xenophobia and Jaime on his honor and ambition. This is a deeply racist man who doesn't consider Wildlings people, just imagine what he thinks of Unsullied and Dothraki. No way he'd be eager to side with them.

Corpekata

Banned

Tarly's betrayal is key to the downfall of Tyrell. At this point in the story the Lannisters are weak on the bodies and money front.

Yeah, he'd be labelled a traitor, but so are like 4 or 5 of the 7 kingdoms. He'd hardly be on his own, he'd be with what is essentially the most powerful house still in the game.

He made a decision partly out of fear but also for his own advancement and one that was also motivated by xenophobia, and he was seen posturing as an honorable man in his brief appearances before this season.

People not answering the calls of mad monarchs is half the motivations in the show. And let's not pretend like Cersei is some master threat or something. She had just come out of being held prisoner for a year. She's barely been in real power for what, a couple months? Self preservation can only cover so much of his justification.

Ushay

The Lannister pulling a 1UP on Dany both when the Greyjoy fleet were travelling and when Greyworm landed was far too coincidental. Someone is working against Dany on her council.

Vashetti

Banned
The Lannister pulling a 1UP on Dany both when the Greyjoy fleet were travelling and when Greyworm landed was far too coincidental. Someone is working against Dany on her council.

I would like this to be true as it would be interesting.

But honestly I think they're just giving Cersei early convenient victories so that Dany doesn't just devastate everyone.

Cersei played on his xenophobia and Jaime on his honor and ambition. This is a deeply racist man who doesn't consider Wildlings people, just imagine what he thinks of Unsullied and Dothraki. No way he'd be eager to side with them.

That I agree with. But his reason for backing Cersei is more out of fear for his house than his hate of wikdling and dothraki.

So wait, the bit with the Iron Bank is that they want their initial debts owed to them paid off, and then they would extend a new loan to Cersei? Why does Cersei need them if she just stole the gold from Highgarden? Also, why would Randyll "I'm a fucking Bigot" Tarly be fine with the region he backstabbed for, to be left high and dry out of its gold and resources?

Its to stop them from investing in Danny.

She has Jamie who, despite being a kingslayer is a highly respected commander. His calming approach is highly persuasive.

No one could have pulled that move with Tarly. He is the commander of a massive army of the reach.

What other way to get him on your side by offering him Warden of the South?

If he refuses, He's in open rebellion with the crown. He gets executed and his house is wiped out. He fully knows that offering him Wardenship is a veiled threat.

I cant believe people don't see this.

He's a man of honor, an asshole, but a man of honor. He is doing what Ned did. Fall in to protect his house.

Jamie isnt a highly respected commander. Walder Frey was talking shit about him, and even Lady O said he was shit before she died. He was a respected swordsman, but his only act as a commander before the seige of river run was his loss to Rob.

"You stand in the presence of Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons"

"This is Jon Snow"

This moment and the moment of awkward silence right after it was absolutely amazing lol.

Then Davos did even better when he had the chance to impress with Jon achievements.

Also, Tyrion's brooding line and that conversation Jon was another of my favorites from the ep.

Kings Landing common folk are idiots. They'll just cheer or jeer anyone.

It was so weird seeing them lining up like one of their truly most famous was returning.

Its to stop them from investing in Danny.

Yep. The guy from the bank even referenced Danny's dragons to illustrate the bank's choices.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

He should have never answered the summons of the woman who killed his Lord and his queen. It makes no sense. Are all the southern lords a bunch of cowardly, oathbreaking little shits? Can you imagine a scenario where the Northern houses would have members that wouldn't avenge Ned's death? Yet Tarly flips from the jump. You mention his statements to Jamie. I'm saying he should have never been there in the first place.

What honour does a man who comes grovelling to the killer of the Lord he was sworn as a banner man to and the queen he swore fealty have?

For the last episode, I saw it as Jaime finally stepping up as a reliable person when it comes matters of war, and outsmarting Tyrion, which isn't that hard seeing as Tyrion doesn't have many experiences in war, I could be wrong though cause the pacing threw me off.

Jamie isnt a highly respected commander. Walder Frey was talking shit about him, and even Lady O said he was shit before she died. He was a respected swordsman, but his only act as a commander before the seige of river run was his loss to Rob.
I think he's taking enough Ls through out the whole series to help be more humble and capable commander. This is like his first victory so it might just be a fluke.

He should have never answered the summons of the woman who killed his Lord and his queen. It makes no sense. Are all the southern lords a bunch of cowardly, oathbreaking little shits? Can you imagine a scenario where the Northern houses would have members that wouldn't avenge Ned's death? Yet Tarly flips from the jump. You mention his statements to Jamie. I'm saying he should have never been there in the first place.

What honour does a man who comes grovelling to the killer of the Lord he was sworn as a banner man to and the queen he swore fealty have?

Yea I understand him turning on Tyrells if he truly hated non Westorsi people, but why did he even go to King's Landing? It's not like they appealed to his xenophobia through a raven.

Only explanation I can think of he's more straightedge and honor bound than Ned Stark, and has to at least answer a summons and if necessary, declare war in person, then head home. Which of course makes him dumber than Ned Stark in the game of politics.

also does anyone else think it'd be a disservice if Jon doesn't tell Dany that he knew and respected late maester Aemon?

Would be a nice conversion for them to get close and learn about each other.

Jon can then remove his shirt and tell the story of how he died and came back to save the world. This fan fiction is writing itself.

Heshinsi

Yea I understand him turning on Tyrells if he truly hated non Westorsi people, but why did he even go to King's Landing? It's not like they appealed to his xenophobia through a raven.

Only explanation is he's more straightedge and honor bound than Ned Stark, and has to at least answer a summons and if necessary, declare war in person, then head home. Which of course makes him dumber than Ned Stark in the game of politics.

Lord Mace Tyrell ------ Lord Regent of the Reach

Queen Margaery Tyrell ----- Queen of the Seven Kingdoms

Lord Randyll Tarly ----- Sworn banner man of House Tyrell

Cersei Lannister ------ Murderer of both Mace and Margaery Tyrell

How is Randyll Tarly an honour bond man if his oaths to House Tyrell mean nothing to him? I don't get it. Cersei wasn't the queen when she killed off Mace and Queen Margaery, so how could he accept the summons of a regicide committing, Warden of the Reach killing usurper? You're right, he either broke his oaths prior to leaving to King's Landing, or he's dumber than all the dumbest Starks combined. Like Brandon Stark levels of stupidity.

Speevy

Banned

How is Randyll Tarly an honour bond man if his oaths to House Tyrell mean nothing to him? I don't get it. Cersei wasn't the queen when she killed off Mace and Queen Margaery, so how could he accept the summons of a regicide committing, Warden of the Reach killing usurper?

Because Tyrell is chess piece. Chess piece go away. Show end.

Fanuilos

How is Randyll Tarly an honour bond man if his oaths to House Tyrell mean nothing to him? I don't get it. Cersei wasn't the queen when she killed off Mace and Queen Margaery, so how could he accept the summons of a regicide committing, Warden of the Reach killing usurper?

Distrust of Targaryens and xenophobia. Cersei is the devil he knows.

How is Randyll Tarly an honour bond man if his oaths to House Tyrell mean nothing to him? I don't get it. Cersei wasn't the queen when she killed off Mace and Queen Margaery, so how could he accept the summons of a regicide committing, Warden of the Reach killing usurper? You're right, he either broke his oaths prior to leaving to King's Landing, or he's dumber than all the dumbest Starks combined. Like Brandon Stark levels of stupidity.
Honor bound as he'll at least go to see what they have to say out of respect and what not. Sort of like under a white flag, and they just convinced him while he's there or it could be just poor writing. I'm only speculating

Heshinsi

Because Tyrell is chess piece. Chess piece go away. Show end.

I would have greatly appreciated it if we never saw the bit with Tarly talking about how he doesn't break oaths and stab people in the back. If he just showed up and was like, "yeah I'm here because Olenna brought brown people to Westeros, fuck my oaths, fuck the Tyrells, promise me the reach and I'm in," it would have gone down so much better than this fake honour crap he spouted.

Man the Starks were right about the south. The Dornish were led by idiots who thought killing their own family was the path to take to get revenge on the Lannisters. And in the Reach, "honourable" lords go to the capital with puckered lips instead of raising their banners in revolt for the murder of their Lord and their queen.

Ferrio

Banned
I would have greatly appreciate it if we never saw the bit with Tarly talking about how he doesn't break oaths and stab people in the back. If he just showed up and was like, "yeah I'm here because Olenna brought brown people to Westeros, fuck my oaths, fuck the Tyrells, promise me the reach and I'm in," it would have gone down so much better than this fake honour crap he spouted.

edit: I so read this wrong, nevermind.

Speevy

Banned
I would have greatly appreciate it if we never saw the bit with Tarly talking about how he doesn't break oaths and stab people in the back. If he just showed up and was like, "yeah I'm here because Olenna brought brown people to Westeros, fuck my oaths, fuck the Tyrells, promise me the reach and I'm in," it would have gone down so much better than this fake honour crap he spouted.

Not to mention that the show had already firmly established him as someone who despises people who are different from him.

A man who would disown his own son because he's not...I guess super hunky like the first actor they got to play Dickon has no honor.

Damn, you're right. He definitely should, on retrospect I'm surprised it wasn't one of the first things he said.
holy shit you're right why didn't he fucking do that?! :mad:
Would be a nice conversion for them to get close and learn about each other.

Jon can then remove his shirt and tell the story of how he died and came back to save the world. This fan fiction is writing itself.
Jeez, they can maybe act normal for once and just kiss first before deciding to go all the way. I don't think there was any budding romances on the show that didn't go straight to fucking.

Robb & Talisa fuck basically on the first date, same with Jon, Dany was just raped from the beginning which is horrible,
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. But now I definitely want to see that dialogue.
Me too man. Like I said, it's a disservice if it doesn't happen.
Did John know, I thought he told sam, not John.

That's the only thing Jon Snow ever knew, coz he knows nothing else

Heshinsi

Not to mention that the show had already firmly established him as someone who despises people who are different from him.

A man who would disown his own son because he's not...I guess super hunky like the first actor they got to play Dickon has no honor.
Exactly. Going down the route that Randyll is a bigoted fuck head (which they end up at anyways) from the get go, makes things actually work better than pretending Tarlly has any honour whatsoever.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This may be old news, but for the people in this thread who use twitter, be careful. There are people on Twitter doing searches for anyone who uses Game of Thrones terminology or names, like "Arya" "Drogon" etc and replying to them with what I guess are leaked spoilers. I got hit with one that thankfully was only a minor one I already knew. Just a head's up for people who go on Twitter to chat Game of Thrones.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah spoilers are out there. Just hide in this thread until Spoiler Winter is over.

0bc9iwo7ecdz.png
|

Cersei will die the last episode. Maybe Jaime will kill her and himself shortly after.
How unpredictable of a twist would it be if Cersei dies by sacrificing herself for the rest of mankind in the world to win the winter war...in a way kinda redeems her of all the evil shit she's done since she was born
I'm so conflicted on the pacing of this season. On one hand, I'm really enjoying what they're put on show so far and this episode is probably my favorite yet. However, I can't deny it feels like things are set on fast forward and characters are appearing all over Westeros between scenes. With so few episodes left I'm fine with moving a bit quicker than usual to get all the pieces into place, but it's such a large contrast to the previous six seasons in which stretches of episodes could focus on characters' travels from location to location. It just feels like there are details that could be fleshed out and stories developed to make a full 10 episode season without it just being considered filler.

That said, I loved the interactions between Daenerys and Jon. It was just as I'd hoped it would be for years, and I'm glad Jon didn't bend the knee. Him not taking Daenerys' bullshit was immensely satisfying. Tyrion makes an excellent point about neither knowing each other well enough.
It almost seems like the opposite of filler, right? Although, really it's just the pacing that is off with all the jumps.

As for Jon x Dany, alls I gotta say is this is a love story for me from here on out

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
How can you a fan of a show and then be a Joffrey sized cunt to its actors on Twitter?
Because he wanted a reaction. Probably will be telling everyone the time he spoke to Jaime on GoT on twitter for the next couple of years at least.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
How unpredictable of a twist would it be if Cersei dies by sacrificing herself for the rest of mankind in the world to win the winter war...in a way kinda redeems her of all the evil shit she's done since she was born

I would stop watching the show if that was the twist. Circe has shown time and time again that does not give a shit about anyone else but her. Hell, she pushed her own son to suicide and didn't give a shit. No amount of character development in the next two seasons will make your twist believable.

Tarly's betrayal is key to the downfall of Tyrell. At this point in the story the Lannisters are weak on the bodies and money front.

Yeah, he'd be labelled a traitor, but so are like 4 or 5 of the 7 kingdoms. He'd hardly be on his own, he'd be with what is essentially the most powerful house still in the game.

He made a decision partly out of fear but also for his own advancement and one that was also motivated by xenophobia, and he was seen posturing as an honorable man in his brief appearances before this season.

People not answering the calls of mad monarchs is half the motivations in the show. And let's not pretend like Cersei is some master threat or something. She had just come out of being held prisoner for a year. She's barely been in real power for what, a couple months? Self preservation can only cover so much of his justification.
also randyl tarly fought for the mad king in roberts rebellion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom