• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeeP

Honestly, who gives a shit? I couldn't care less about dragging out characters' journeys around the world. Dany teleporting got us one of the best scenes of the show.

I mean. With shit like Euron surprising Theon's troops (I guess their navy with the best ships in the sea were no match for Euron's navy that Euron made in less than a few months) and then going to Kings landing to take part in a parade and then to Casterly Rock to take out Wormtails ships.... yea. This shit doesn't make sense.

Also not to bring the mood down but this episode did have one very stupid line.

When Arya and Sansa were discussing Ned's face and one of them said " well no one who saw his face is still alive".....wait what. I mean a lot of people died but there are still a bunch more left who remember his face.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I think that's why it's a poor PR decision, and a strategic mistake.

Nobody liked the Lannisters, but now the common people will be afraid of Dragons and rampaging Dothraki. Given that garnering popular support has been Dany's MO most of the time, it's now less likely she'll attain that than before, for the reasons both Cersei and Tyrion have identified previously.

Killing soldiers is one thing, but to rule a monarch needs popular support, unless they plan on being a tyrant.

In addition this attack achieved very little positive. All it did was thin out the tail end of the Lannister army. The gold was already inside, and the grain that was lost will not deprive the army of sustenance, but more likely the people will suffer - again, something to be used in building the propaganda against her.

And it's not entirely unjustified. Every piece of advice she received was to not follow this course of action. The only advice you could claim was pro something like this was Olenna's - but, cool character as she was, her arrogance lost her and her entire house absolutely everything.

So yes, a poor decision that achieved very little. No doubt there will be consequences.
She was advised to not attack cities. She didn't attack cities. Who are these people that are pro Lannisters that should be worried about Dany? The Riverlands hates the Lannisters, Dorne hates the Lannisters, the North hate the Lannisters, etc. By "people" are you referring to those who live in the areas ruled by the woman who blew up 4 city blocks?

The majority of the Seven Kingdoms hate Cersei, her rule, and her family. Break the Lannisters and there goes the kingdom. Destroying their army would get that shit done.

I think that's why it's a poor PR decision, and a strategic mistake.

Nobody liked the Lannisters, but now the common people will be afraid of Dragons and rampaging Dothraki. Given that garnering popular support has been Dany's MO most of the time, it's now less likely she'll attain that than before, for the reasons both Cersei and Tyrion have identified previously.

Killing soldiers is one thing, but to rule a monarch needs popular support, unless they plan on being a tyrant.

In addition this attack achieved very little positive. All it did was thin out the tail end of the Lannister army. The gold was already inside, and the grain that was lost will not deprive the army of sustenance, but more likely the people will suffer - again, something to be used in building the propaganda against her.

And it's not entirely unjustified. Every piece of advice she received was to not follow this course of action. The only advice you could claim was pro something like this was Olenna's - but, cool character as she was, her arrogance lost her and her entire house absolutely everything.

So yes, a poor decision that achieved very little. No doubt there will be consequences.

Do the Dothraki still like raping and pillaging? That + Fiery Dragons seems like a bad combo for this "Most Loved Ruler Ever" thing she's going for.

Why did she attack again anyway? I thought Jon advised against it. Or was it okay since it was just an army.

This and those other gifs. Fuck the Lannisters.

Also of course:
WILDFIRE-OMG-2.gif
I see atleast a few houses in the radius being blown to bits by Wildfire.

Sparrow's last words: So much for the tolerant left!!

As much as I liked the last battle of tonight's episode, there was way too much plot armor. Dany flying through, lighting up the entire caravan, and somehow the crossbow survived. Would have worked out if they didn't go out of their way to show Dany literally flying through and intentionally lighting up the entire caravan.

Jaime surviving the entire battle while everybody around him burned. Same with Bronn. That's fine, whatever, the heroes always manage to be the survivors in the big battles. Gonna find it weird when someone manages to fish Jaime out of that water with all his armor on though, unless it's Dany and her army, and they do it intentionally.

Dany being thickheaded and flying straight toward the giant crossbow rather than taking it out with fire from a much further distance, or hell, not taking it out at all. It's only effective against her dragon, and she'd already done all the damage she needed to do. I don't even think her dragon was necessary to win that battle.

Dany hopping off to pull the spear out of the dragon in the middle of the battlefield. Fortunately only Jaime seemed to notice her. The spear is hardly gonna prevent the dragon from flying. Should have flown somewhere safe first.

Also, lol if Tyrion feels bad for the Lannister forces now. Or anybody for that matter. They just fucked up and ransacked Highgarden. Fuck them.

Can someone please remind me what Arya's beef is with Littlefinger? I truly don't remember her finding out anything he's done.

They saw each other at Harrenhal while she was wine steward to Tywin, he didn't rat her out but she overheard the plans the two were plotting for Robb Stark's death.

She was advised to not attack cities. She didn't attack cities. Who are these people that are pro Lannisters that should be worried about Dany? The Riverlands hates the Lannisters, Dorne hates the Lannisters, the North hate the Lannisters, etc. By "people" are you referring to those who live in the areas ruled by the woman who blew up 4 city blocks?

Yep and the only reason why anyone in KL likes her is cause they're terrified.

I don't even know why Tyrion showed up.

I'd assume to advise Dany. I doubt she's there with a horde of Dothraki to just trash the place and get back to Dragonstone. There's probably prisoner management, dealing with any unburnt spoils, etc...

Stuff that the Hand would be useful for.

I would have liked to see Dany have some kind of actual armor.

FiggyCal

Banned
As much as I liked the last battle of tonight's episode, there was way too much plot armor. Dany flying through, lighting up the entire caravan, and somehow the crossbow survived. Would have worked out if they didn't go out of their way to show Dany literally flying through and intentionally lighting up the entire caravan.

Jaime surviving the entire battle while everybody around him burned. Same with Bronn. That's fine, whatever, the heroes always manage to be the survivors in the big battles. Gonna find it weird when someone manages to fish Jaime out of that water with all his armor on though, unless it's Dany and her army, and they do it intentionally.

Dany being thickheaded and flying straight toward the giant crossbow rather than taking it out with fire from a much further distance, or hell, not taking it out at all. It's only effective against her dragon, and she'd already done all the damage she needed to do. I don't even think her dragon was necessary to win that battle.

Dany hopping off to pull the spear out of the dragon in the middle of the battlefield. Fortunately only Jaime seemed to notice her. The spear is hardly gonna prevent the dragon from flying. Should have flown somewhere safe first.

Also, lol if Tyrion feels bad for the Lannister forces now. Or anybody for that matter. They just fucked up and ransacked Highgarden. Fuck them.

I never thought that one giant arrow was a real threat to the dragons. I think they're building up to a scene where there are hundreds of those things. That's the real threat.

The majority of the Seven Kingdoms hate Cersei, her rule, and her family. Break the Lannisters and there goes the kingdom. Destroying their army would get that shit done.

This.

I don't even know why Tyrion showed up.
Because she was doubting his allegiance and placed him somewhere where he could watch his side get absolutely slaughtered.

I never thought that one giant arrow was a real threat to the dragons. I think they're building up to a scene where there are hundreds of those things. That's the real threat.
Qyburn's demonstration was with one of them being shot into the skull of a dragon though.

Good episode and all, but Im bothered that Jamie and Bron are, by chance, left alive, and Tyrion overwatches and sees them. I just can't buy that and its annoying when a dragon is overhead and burning everything indiscriminately.

So clearly Jamie lives... but what's up now, do they just talk over the table and does he reunite with his bro and apologize or what.

It looked to me like Dickon saved Jamie, not Bron.

mokeyjoe

Honestly, who gives a shit? I couldn't care less about dragging out characters' journeys around the world. Dany teleporting got us one of the best scenes of the show.

Exactly, what are we supposed to have - several episodes of travel time? It's kind of past that point now, surely.

Given that all Dany needed to do was move a fast moving mounted army to Kings Landing in a similar time to the Lannisters matching their army back up from Highgarden, I don't think any teleportation was required.

RDreamer

Also, the Dothraki are pretty shit. They're slaughtering the hell out of the Lannisters and yet Bronn sits up on that scorpion all freaking day? He gets off not one but TWO shots at Dany and then makes it alive long enough to knock Jaime off a horse and none of the Dothraki are going after that sonofabitch?

NYR

Really don't get the whining about the CGI. It's a fucking TV episode that has a tenth of the budget of a movie and about half the time for post production.

FiggyCal

Banned
I'd assume to advise Dany. I doubt she's there with a horde of Dothraki to just trash the place and get back to Dragonstone. There's probably prisoner management, dealing with any unburnt spoils, etc...

That makes sense.

Zasa

Bronn saving Jaime says something about his character progression.
He wouldn't have risked his neck for someone like that in the first season.

Unless he's only saving Jaime to guarantee a castle of his choosing after the war is won.
Especially since he just lost his bag of gold..
Reminds me of that Friends episode when Joey dove over Ross in the car in an attempt to save him from what he thought was the sound of a gunshot.

Turns out he just wanted to save the sandwich he just bought. Friends was ahead of it's time.

I see atleast a few houses in the radius being blown to bits by Wildfire.

Yup, definitely plenty of surrounding area getting wrecked. Glad I was able to find the really wide version of the gif.

Yep.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Every episode from now on should have a disclaimer telling us how many episodes are left and that this means they can't spend 3 episodes showing us Dany traveling with her army.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I mean. With shit like Euron surprising Theon's troops (I guess their navy with the best ships in the sea were no match for Euron's navy that Euron made in less than a few months) and then going to Kings landing to take part in a parade and then to Casterly Rock to take out Wormtails ships.... yea. This shit doesn't make sense.

I had more of an issue with Euron for whatever reason. I think mostly because Euron just has ships while Dany has a dragon and Euron teleporting to defeat the Unsullied ships feels cheap.

I do understand the complaints, I just can't really care about them.

That scene broke my heart. I was rooting for those two and it was obvious by the way Meera was wording her question she was hoping that Bran would ask her to stay with him. But damn, that scene was depressing.

Indeed, such a great character and he's just like well I'm not Bran anymore, not really. Well fuck kid, if she wasn't helping Bran, and if Jojen and Hodor and Summer didn't die for you, Bran, then they died for the 3ER, you ungratefully little fucker, lol.

All Bran had to do was remind her that his dick didn't work

Really? You think she did it all for the dick? I guarantee you she did not.

Every episode from now on should have a disclaimer telling us how many episodes are left and that this means they can't spend 3 episodes showing us Dany traveling with her army.
YES. YES. YES.

You can't criticize the show having only 7 episodes and then also complain about the use of fast travel.

Jarmel

Banned

That still doesn't excuse poor depictions of time. They could have shown larger periods of time had passed without dragging it on like earlier seasons did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom