• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickz

Her father, the mad king, who everybody decided had to go. It was just.

She's lucky to be alive, let alone vying for the throne. Sure, she's not like her dad, but she really has no claim because everybody voted to remove her Father, and end the Targaryen rule.

Stannis had more claim than her for sure

_Ryo_

Is Jamie's loyalty in question?

I would say after that final talk with Olenna he is quite confused about his feelings towards Cersi. To have Olenna straight out tell him that she's the one that killed his son, and not Tyrion, I'd imagine that would cause a lot of complicated feelings, and yes, he set Tyrion free because he believed he didn't do it but knowing for sure and believing something are entirely different things. I bet Jamie had a lot of internal conflict if he believed Tyrion anymore after he killed his father.

Also there's the fact that Cersi is implying she's going to marry Euron, when Jamie likely finally thought that he would be together with her in every respect, he has very mixed feelings about a new king. Anyway, yes, with his conflicted feelings towards Cersi and Tyrion I would say that his loyalty would soon be in question. Don't forget that Cersi did the same thing he killed the Mad King for trying to do. There's another internal conflict for him to mule over.

There's speculation that Bran wasn't even referring to Littlefinger, but the first person who ever owned the blade, as Bran knows its entire history.

Bran was referring to LF when he said Chaos is a Ladder, which is what the person I was replying to was asking.

Bran definitely knows the origins, LF owned it at some point and he may have been the first owner. I know he goes into detail about it in the first season, I just can't remember if he specifically said it was his first or not. Just that it was stolen from him.

We'll see I guess.

OrionX

Yeah, I didn't get the "Chaos is a ladder" line either.

It was Bran's way of saying "I see you LF, I see you." That was Bran at his most threatening, it was just hard to tell because he's only allowed to have one tone and facial expression now.

Sephzilla

Dude is too shook from Bran dropping that "chaos is a ladder" bomb on him. Odds are higher that Arya kills him with that dagger.

I mean, I could see LF trying to off Bran because Bran might spill the beans to Sansa and company that LF is the reason Ned is dead

Ernest

Banned
So, I'm clearly in the minority here, but this was a rather weak episode for me. Exciting, sure, but there are so many complete lapses in logic and common sense that it is too hard to look past. Why would the Dothraki horde charge in? Why wouldn't Dany bring all three dragons? How does Bronn avoid direct dragonfire that burns so far and wide? How is it that Jaime gets knocked off his horse while charging, into water that is that deep? How is it that being under a few feet of water protects him and Bron from dragonfire?

HvySky

I mean, I could see LF trying to off Bran because Bran might spill the beans to Sansa and company that LF is the reason Ned is dead

I really don't know what LF's play is at this point. He's in a constant state of scheming and creepy looks but he's kinda backed into a corner. Most of the living Starks have all reunited and are WAY more capable than they ever were before. He's just lucky he has the Knights of the Vale as it's likely the only reason he's still in Winterfell.

zsynqx

So, I'm clearly in the minority here, but this was a rather weak episode for me. Exciting, sure, but there are so many complete lapses in logic and common sense that it is too hard to look past. Why would the Dothraki horde charge in? Why wouldn't Dany bring all three dragons? How does Bronn avoid direct dragonfire that burns so far and wide? How is it that Jaime gets knocked off his horse while charging, into water that is that deep? How is it that being under a few feet of water protects him and Bron from dragonfire?

Ever considered applying for a job at cinemasins?

duckroll

So, what are the odds Littlefinger tries to kill Bran?

I think Littlefinger's brain went like this throughout the episode:

* Alright, time to try and play with the cripple and get him on my side.
* Fuck, I might have to kill the cripple, ugh.
* Oh the other sister is back, maybe I can use her later...
* Fuck, she's going to disembowel me before I can do anything.
* Fuck, fuck, fuck, must leave Winterfell, help!

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I don't get the Dany being evil perception. Is she 100% good? No. She's not even as good as Ned or John Stark. But better than all other leaders I can think of. I mean there's an argument to be had about whether Tywin Lannister was a more effective leader at governing, but Dany clearly leans towards the good side even if she's a bit power hungry and full of herself.

How the hell can anybody be cheering for the Lannisters?

Bran brought up Sansa's wedding to Ramsay, implied he knew about him raping her.

Back when Littlefinger was actually Littlefinger rather than whatever the fuck this season's done to his character, in season 1 him and Varys were talking, and Littlefinger said, "chaos is a ladder". Bran was just repeating the line back to him. This was a private conversation between Littlefinger and Varys, so Littlefinger's shook.

I really don't think it's changed too much, but he's out of his element. He's manipulated events to where he currently is, but he's after working himself into what is essentially a dead end for him, and there have been a number of developments he simply did not ever seen happening (Bran becoming Dr. Manhattan, Arya becoming a highly trained assassin [and he doesn't even know she can steal identities]). He's playing a southern game in the north, just as Ned played the northern game in the south, and is out of his element because absolutely nobody is engaging him because almost everybody is seeing the bigger picture and sees who he really is (or soon will; Bran clearly knows, Sansa knows, Arya isn't too far off, and how long can it really be until she finds out when she literally has been trained to lie and spot liars and her brother can see every event of the past and possibly the future). Nobody is playing the game Littlefinger wants to play, and any moves he tries to make has been backfiring because he's out of his element in Winterfell and hasn't been able to account for the magical aspect of the show.

Unless he manages to return to King's Landing or escape his current surroundings immediately, he's after working himself into a situation where he seems pretty doomed. How long can it really be before Bran tells somebody what precisely Littlefinger's role was in his father's death? It's quite fitting that all of Littlefinger's scheming has brought him to the one place where honour and loyalty seem to mean more than money and plots do.

EDIT: See also duckroll's comments above. He's bet everything on Sansa, and now he can't really use her. He can't use Bran because he doesn't care. He can't do anything to Arya because she could slaughter him. All his scheming amounts to nothing when he can't play anybody in a position of power where he is.

RDreamer

That's been the story this entire season. The show has slowly changed gears to style over substance over the last few seasons, too, unfortunately.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
But Tyrion was Master of Coin. He should have known better really, taking the Rock was more a symbolic and personal thing for him. The stuff with the gold already reaching King's Landing feel pretty much like convenience for the plot.

I don't think the writers know how to do Tyrion without GRRM's books. He went from witty conversations to one liner comic relief statements.

aBarreras

I really don't think it's changed too much, but he's out of his element. He's manipulated events to where he currently is, but he's after working himself into what is essentially a dead end for him, and there have been a number of developments he simply did not ever seen happening (Bran becoming Dr. Manhattan, Arya becoming a highly trained assassin [and he doesn't even know she can steal identities]). He's playing a southern game in the north, just as Ned played the northern game in the south, and is out of his element because absolutely nobody is engaging him because almost everybody is seeing the bigger picture and sees who he really is (or soon will; Bran clearly knows, Sansa knows, Arya isn't too far off, and how long can it really be until she finds out when she literally has been trained to lie and spot liars and her brother can see every event of the past and possibly the future). Nobody is playing the game Littlefinger wants to play, and any moves he tries to make has been backfiring because he's out of his element in Winterfell and hasn't been able to account for the magical aspect of the show.

Unless he manages to return to King's Landing or escape his current surroundings immediately, he's after working himself into a situation where he seems pretty doomed. How long can it really be before Bran tells somebody what precisely Littlefinger's role was in his father's death? It's quite fitting that all of Littlefinger's scheming has brought him to the one place where honour and loyalty seem to mean more than money and plots do.

well said

i really hate this deus exer character is not longer deus exing anymore, so they ruined his character talk

DC1

I think the last few episodes' spectacles would have been better had they not spoiled it with really bad believability. Every one of them has ended up with both me and my wife audibly saying basically "oh come the fuck on, how..." at the end. And I know Game of Thrones sometimes relied on that sort of thing but they've stretched it into nonsense. Euron battle would have been cool if it also hadn't been so completely what the fuck how did he get to the absolute correct ship without any warning. The Castle attacks would have been cool had it not been for fucking Euron showing up out of nowhere again and not making any goddamned sense. And this episode would have been fine if not for literally no one attacking Bronn for all the time in the world he took to aim, him diving about 2 feet away and not dying and then him grabbing Jaime and jumping him into a magical lake that's suddenly 10+ feet deep only 3 feet away from where they were running horses.

I know that sort of stuff is going to pop up in high spectacle things, but, again, high spectacle wasn't why I was watching and when it pops up so much, episode after episode something has to break. If Bronn's bullshit hadn't immediately followed Euron's bullshit I probably would have accepted it all hook line and sinker.
I like youre thinking. I have had to apply "The Filter of less Thought" to continue my high enjoyment of the television series.

Adding notification of time/days or months would help significantly with the absorption.

jviggy43

You and I are like the only people who took issue with any of this apparently (EDIT, nope guess others have too!). My friends were pissed that I wasn't head over heels in love with this episode. It was good, I enjoyed it, but man dany is so bad at this war thing. You don't leave your starting qb in the game up 6 scores with a minute left to risk taking a giant arrow to the shoulder.

Really the lack in logic bothered me quite a bit as well even if it made for good spectacle.

Sephzilla

I don't get the Dany being evil perception. Is she 100% good? No. She's not even as good as Ned or John Stark. But better than all other leaders I can think of. I mean there's an argument to be had about whether Tywin Lannister was a more effective leader at governing, but Dany clearly leans towards the good side even if she's a bit power hungry and full of herself.

I should step back a little on my criticism of Danny and clarify my perspective of her. I think she has the potential to go Mad Queen because of her father, her brother, and some of the rare times she gets frustrated/unhinged. She mostly operates under the belief that she wants to do good but she needs to be kept in check because she also has a huge ego to her and thinks she can just LOLDRAGONS her way through things.

Basically, she's a good person who doesn't realize she has some potentially dangerous flaws.

Stannis had more claim than her for sure

Renly technically had the claim. And Stannis would be next... but since Stannis killed Renly, I imagine it becomes "unlawful" since he murdered the rightful king. For all the talk Stannis does of being dutiful or just, he was a hypocrite.

So if Dany can't have the throne because her family was overthrown, neither can kinslayer Stannis or bastards like Joffrey. That's if you care at all about succession rules.

These rules matter because it allows a proper successor to go to next of kin without having a war break out every time, I imagine. But that's all screwed up now, and also, if someone has the power to be a real jerk, they can claim the throne by war. Which is exactly what Dany was going to do, no matter what. Largely because this was her brother's idea, and she just wants to go home. But since becoming dragon queen, she feels she has the right to take over Westeros.

So her claim is one more of Conqueror. That's her entire family's claim and why she should have been killed by Robert.

Cersei technically seems to be next in line since she is the widow of the king. And whoever she chooses to marry. Which really should be Jamie. But he carries the shame of being the kingslayer despite the fact that the king was a lunatic and that he felt just in what he did.

-griffy-

Banned
Renly technically had the claim.

Stannis was the eldest brother to King Robert and therefore the rightful heir, Renly was just more popular with the people. Renly wouldn't endorse Stannis and kept going his own way, and therefore Stannis saw Renly as an usurper to his claim.

RDreamer

Renly technically had the claim. And Stannis would be next... but since Stannis killed Renly, I imagine it becomes "unlawful" since he murdered the rightful king. For all the talk Stannis does of being dutiful or just, he was a hypocrite.

You got it wrong here. Renly had no technical claim. Stannis was the rightful heir since Joffrey wasn't a Baratheon. Stannis just wasn't terribly well liked and when Renly declared, despite not having the technical right to the throne, people flocked to him instead.

Stannis was the eldest brother to King Robert and therefore the rightful heir, Renly was just more popular with the people. Renly wouldn't endorse Stannis and kept going his own way, and therefore Stannis saw Renly as an usurper to his claim.

Ah right thanks. So then it really was Stannis who was rightful king.

OrionX

I still think LF is a threat, but it certainly does seem like he's being backed into a corner. His plan seems to entirely revolve around Sansa remaining his ally. I'm really interested to see how their relationship plays out.

Line of succession get blown out of the water when you overthrow the ruling family. They and their supporters don't care what new line of succession a usurper decrees. Hence the Stuarts and their claim. Robert knew that so long as a Targaryen lived, his own claim rested on his right by conquest.
As did Aegon the Conqueror's claim to begin with.

Its only logic to destroy a house after you've defeated them. It doesn't give her a claim.

kurahador

I still think LF is a threat, but it certainly does seem like he's being backed into a corner. His plan seems to entirely revolve around Sansa remaining his ally. I'm really interested to see how their relationship plays out.

Sansa seems to be steering towards LF more now after seeing Arya and Bran skill.

Barzul

While I agree that Daenerys is not as bad as Cersei, and an argument to that affect can certainly not be made, viewing Daenerys as a positive force (which she has purposely been portrayed as) is just being purposely blind to what exactly Daenerys quest actually entails. She kills her enemies through incredibly brutal means (crucifixions, and burning them alive) as Cersei does (Cersei, of course, is far more brutal) and has no compassion for those who stand against her. Her goal from the very beginning has been to conquer a continent and slaughter her enemies simply because she believes she's entitled to rule them, but still wants them to love her in spite of this. She's not a very good ruler (as we see in Slaver's Bay) and even knowing the war that's to come she still insists in squabbling over the Iron Throne and puts Jon's unwillingness to bow before her over protecting the seven kingdoms she wishes to rule. If she fails diplomacy she is unwilling to compromise and instead simply burns her enemies alive. She doesn't try to give those in Westeros a reason to follow her, or a reason to love her, she simply demands it of them. Those who follow her consist of a horde of Dothraki (who have no choice but to follow her as she murdered their leaders, an army of Unsullied who knew nothing other than fighting and had nowhere else to go (and are in a situation where leaving means defying the individual they just saw burn the city; as Jon points out to Missandei, they're not truly free, they're just serving a different master), and people joining her simply because they hate the current individuals in power more. Yes she listens to some of her advisors to not burn down King's Landing, and to give Jon the ability to mine dragon glass, but if others in Westeros won't bow before her, how merciful will she truly be to them?

Daenerys comes across as good because those she faces are monstrous and (have been previously) relatively nameless, she has nice ideas and doesn't naturally want to incite violence (she just does it anyway) or kill civilians, her victories are portrayed very heroically and in an uplifting manner in the show, she's staunchly against the idea of slavery (but is still totally okay with ruling over others simply because her name is Daenerys Targaryen), and came from absolutely horrible beginnings which she managed to turn into what she has now.

The meeting with Jon very starkly contrasts him with Daenerys, and it's not accidental. Both of them have given freedom to others (the Wildlings and slaves), both can argue they have a right to a kingdom (the north, and the seven kingdoms), both have encountered some seemingly monstrous and savage people, but their attitude is entirely different, and Jon is in many ways what Daenerys aspires to be, rather than who she actually is thus far. He doesn't rule because he's entitled to it, or because he wants to do it, he does it because those around him respect him as a ruler, and if others wish to walk they can walk (and still have somewhere to go) and won't be executed or burnt because of it. He doesn't try to destroy or give brutal deaths to any who have defied or opposed him (Wildlings), and doesn't simply kill them as soon as democracy has failed (Mance, the defectors in the Night's Watch prior to their killing him). He doesn't wear his titles as a point of pride to try and leave others in awe of him. He simply wants to protect the realm from a substantial evil (as far as we know thus far).

None of this is to say that Daenerys is inherently bad, or is an incredibly evil person, it's clearly much more complicated than that as the season has thus far revolved around the internal conflict of her wanting to be loved and inspired by the citizens of Westeros and accepting her role as a conquerer (and a dragon; something especially relevant in a season where people have gained strength in accepting and drawing from who they are), but it isn't tough to see why people can legitimately argue that Daenerys is not the shining beacon she has been portrayed as up to this point.

EDIT: Awkwardly my autocorrect has turned every instance of "Westeros" into "Westerns"

This is a great post and yeah I agree with it mostly. I don't think she's a really "good" character, I just think she's a better option than Cersei.

Hyun Sai

Yeah, I also don't see what are Littlefingers options here. Showrunners made a massive fuckup in his storyline. He is fucked either way. What can he do ? He can't manipulate Sansa anymore. What's left ? Bran ? LOL. Arya ? Double LOL. Brienne ? Come on ! Jon ? ROFL.

Too bad we'll never see Martin take on Littlefinger's fate, but like they butchered Stannis, he is one of the biggest disappointment of the show.

RDreamer

Yeah, I also don't see what are Littlefingers options here. Showrunners made a massive fuckup in his storyline. He is fucked either way. What can he do ? He can't manipulate Sansa anymore. What's left ? Bran ? LOL. Arya ? Double LOL. Brienne ? Come on ! Jon ? ROFL.

Too bad we'll never see Martin take on Littlefinger's fate, but like they butchered Stannis, he is one of the biggest disappointment of the show.

You're in the wrong thread man.

Really the lack in logic bothered me quite a bit as well even if it made for good spectacle.

I'm concerned when people think that characters in shows have to behave logically. Do you think regular people are logical even a majority of the time in their lives? Absolutely not. Their actions have to be understandable. Why did she hop off her dragon right there and pull out the spear herself? Because her 'baby' was injured and she was worried, and it seemed like the dragon couldn't/wouldn't fly farther with it stuck in his shoulder. The battle seemed mostly over in that section so it would be relatively safe. She said explicitly earlier in the episode that she is now willing to put herself personally in the game in order to win. There's nothing difficult to grasp about any of this.

Except the super deep water part at the end. That's just dramatic license and you gotta' roll with it.

All of the living Stark children have augmented except for her, which will likely be LF's angle.

I agree LF will probably try to use this, but I think the past few episodes have shown her taking a firm and knowledgable hand at ruling the North. She knows what needs to be done (preparing extra food ahead of time for possible extra armies, making sure new armor is forged correctly..) and is doing pretty good at doling out tasks. She's got her superpower too!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Ah nice, Matt Shakman will also be directing the next episode. I can't imagine it will be huge like Spoils of War but a great director directing another episode is always good.

Zabka

The Dothraki charge. That's their whole thing.
She only needed one. The other two could be defending Dragonstone.
Bronn's quick.
Some lakes are formed with steep dropoffs.
It's water.

Sanctuary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE2wcBeyNdk

Damn they put in some kickass work for this battle. No wonder the effects looked so great. Gotta love practical work.

Practical, or at least as much as possible until there's no other option than CGI always looks better. Maybe in the next ten years CGI will finally stop looking so obviously fake in certain contexts, but we aren't there yet.

But how do you feel about Alan "Thor 2 The Dark World" Taylor doing the episode after that?

The movie wasn't great, but it wasn't the worst thing ever either. If nothing else, it did have a handful of good action sequences...

Except the super deep water part at the end. That's just dramatic license and you gotta' roll with it.

Dunno. From almost drowning at the age of nine (then promptly learning how to swim after), it's not completely unrealistic. Went wading in an old strip pit, where the water was only waist high for maybe ten feet out, then gradually rose until suddenly there was no floor after a single step. For a show that seems to be so intent on minor details (at least that's what the making of this episode claimed), that couldn't have just been a blunder.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"Oh hai jon should I end this war right away with these clinical and powerful dragons?"

"NO dynris everyone will think that is lame and samey, you should have them trudge through frozen mud and shit for ahundred years of slow burn carnage"

Monocle

Dude is too shook from Bran dropping that "chaos is a ladder" bomb on him. Odds are higher that Arya kills him with that dagger.
Seems more likely that Bran assisted in a death he foresaw, by giving Arya a blade of Valyrian steel. He knows she's vengeance personified now.

TheContact

Yeah, I didn't get the "Chaos is a ladder" line either.

Back in season 3, LF and Varys were talking about the realm. Varys called Chaos a pit. LF said Chaos is a ladder.

Bran was fucking with LF and the point of the scene is to show that Bran is privy to LF's tricks

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
But how do you feel about Alan "Thor 2 The Dark World" Taylor doing the episode after that?

Great.

a4bRib0.png

He has worked on some great episodes and that's just GoT, he has also worked on tons of other top tier TV shows.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Back in season 3, LF and Varys were talking about the realm. Varys called Chaos a pit. LF said Chaos is a ladder.

Bran was fucking with LF and the point of the scene is to show that Bran is privy to LF's tricks

I also think there's a hint of "So chaos is a ladder is it? How's that working out for you?"

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Dany can't control all three dragons and direct them by herself. That part makes sense as to why it was only Drogon. I'm quite curious as to how she told the other two to stay put though lol.

"Look, Mommy and big brother have to do some grown up stuff. You guys stay here and keep nose diving at Jon. It was funny watching him damn near shit his pants. Ok, I'll be back soon, love y'all!"

This is a great post and yeah I agree with it mostly. I don't think she's a really "good" character, I just think she's a better option than Cersei.

Don't forget that a lot of her ideas came from her evil ass brother. He's the one that wanted to go back home. She was unjustly treated like an object and wanted to empower herself, and since her real "right" is that she is a Dragon mother, she has no reason not to go all the way with her potential.

She's a natural conqueror, but she tries to do the right thing. Since white walkers are a thing, the Targaryens are kind of really needed, so they may as well have everyone bending the knee.

She doesn't have to play the game, and its probably best if she doesn't. But for most everyone else, Dany is disqualified because of her father and because they don't yet realize that they need Dany to fight the white walkers.

jviggy43

I'm concerned when people think that characters in shows have to behave logically. Do you think regular people are logical even a majority of the time in their lives? Absolutely not. Their actions have to be understandable. Why did she hop off her dragon right there and pull out the spear herself? Because her 'baby' was injured and she was worried, and it seemed like the dragon couldn't/wouldn't fly farther with it stuck in his shoulder. The battle seemed mostly over in that section so it would be relatively safe. She said explicitly earlier in the episode that she is now willing to put herself personally in the game in order to win. There's nothing difficult to grasp about any of this.

No but I expect characters who have traditionally acted logical for this long in the show to not start doing illogical things in order to create conflict. I never said anything about taking the spear out of her dragon; thats understandable because as a mother shes protecting her child. No problem there. Its everything else by not just her but by Jaime and Bronn as well that pretty much pulled me right out of whats happening on screen.

And yes the water thing was just dramatic flair. Thats fine, I can roll with it. I'll still call it for what it is. Another poster put it beautifully, were getting to the point where this stuff is all spectacle over substance.
The Dothraki charge. That's their whole thing.
She only needed one. The other two could be defending Dragonstone.
Bronn's quick.
Some lakes are formed with steep dropoffs.
It's water.

That might be their thing, but why was it even necessary when when she could have just destroyed everyone with her dragon by flying down the line of soldiers instead of right at them (or bring 3 of them)
What possible threat would the dragons be protecting dragonstone from?
No one's that quick.
Lmao, we went from 6 inches of water max to an endless abyss that went beyond what the eye can see. This was silly.

-griffy-

Banned
Great.

a4bRib0.png

He has worked on some great episodes and that's just GoT, he has also worked on tons of other top tier TV shows.

And let's be real, his directing wasn't even really the problem with the movies he directed. Experience with the large scale effects in Thor and Terminator is only going to help him with where Game of Thrones is at now.

Oberon

Banned
I barelly remember anything from this show. Who did that dagger belong to? And why did he give that dagger to Bran?
I don't even know what we're suppose to know and what we don't

Eidan

And most importantly, who changes the tires on the Batmobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom