• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

-griffy-

Banned
I barelly remember anything from this show. Who did that dagger belong to? And why did he give that dagger to Bran?
I don't even know what we're suppose to know and what we don't

That dagger was used way back in season 1 to try and assassinate Bran when he was recovering from his fall in Winterfell. Catelyn and Summer stopped the assassin and brought the dagger to King's Landing, where Littlefinger said the dagger was his but Tyrion Lannister had most recently been the owner. This caused Catelyn to take Tyrion prisoner, essentially kickstarting the war proper.

I barelly remember anything from this show. Who did that dagger belong to? And why did he give that dagger to Bran?

Im not an expert, but that dagger was Littlefinger's. It was used to kill Bran in his sleep for some reason, but Catelyn stopped this and the assassination failed.

Littlefinger claimed the dagger used was his, but that he had lost it to Tyrion or something (thereby implicating the Lannisters and starting shit).

He probably gave it to bran because he's a jerk and thought it was funny.

While I agree that Daenerys is not as bad as Cersei, and an argument to that affect can certainly not be made, viewing Daenerys as a positive force (which she has purposely been portrayed as) is just being purposely blind to what exactly Daenerys quest actually entails. She kills her enemies through incredibly brutal means (crucifixions, and burning them alive) as Cersei does (Cersei, of course, is far more brutal) and has no compassion for those who stand against her. Her goal from the very beginning has been to conquer a continent and slaughter her enemies simply because she believes she's entitled to rule them, but still wants them to love her in spite of this. She's not a very good ruler (as we see in Slaver's Bay) and even knowing the war that's to come she still insists in squabbling over the Iron Throne and puts Jon's unwillingness to bow before her over protecting the seven kingdoms she wishes to rule. If she fails diplomacy she is unwilling to compromise and instead simply burns her enemies alive. She doesn't try to give those in Westeros a reason to follow her, or a reason to love her, she simply demands it of them. Those who follow her consist of a horde of Dothraki (who have no choice but to follow her as she murdered their leaders, an army of Unsullied who knew nothing other than fighting and had nowhere else to go (and are in a situation where leaving means defying the individual they just saw burn the city; as Jon points out to Missandei, they're not truly free, they're just serving a different master), and people joining her simply because they hate the current individuals in power more. Yes she listens to some of her advisors to not burn down King's Landing, and to give Jon the ability to mine dragon glass, but if others in Westeros won't bow before her, how merciful will she truly be to them?

Daenerys comes across as good because those she faces are monstrous and (have been previously) relatively nameless, she has nice ideas and doesn't naturally want to incite violence (she just does it anyway) or kill civilians, her victories are portrayed very heroically and in an uplifting manner in the show, she's staunchly against the idea of slavery (but is still totally okay with ruling over others simply because her name is Daenerys Targaryen), and came from absolutely horrible beginnings which she managed to turn into what she has now.

The meeting with Jon very starkly contrasts him with Daenerys, and it's not accidental. Both of them have given freedom to others (the Wildlings and slaves), both can argue they have a right to a kingdom (the north, and the seven kingdoms), both have encountered some seemingly monstrous and savage people, but their attitude is entirely different, and Jon is in many ways what Daenerys aspires to be, rather than who she actually is thus far. He doesn't rule because he's entitled to it, or because he wants to do it, he does it because those around him respect him as a ruler, and if others wish to walk they can walk (and still have somewhere to go) and won't be executed or burnt because of it. He doesn't try to destroy or give brutal deaths to any who have defied or opposed him (Wildlings), and doesn't simply kill them as soon as democracy has failed (Mance, the defectors in the Night's Watch prior to their killing him). He doesn't wear his titles as a point of pride to try and leave others in awe of him. He simply wants to protect the realm from a substantial evil (as far as we know thus far).

None of this is to say that Daenerys is inherently bad, or is an incredibly evil person, it's clearly much more complicated than that as the season has thus far revolved around the internal conflict of her wanting to be loved and inspired by the citizens of Westeros and accepting her role as a conquerer (and a dragon; something especially relevant in a season where people have gained strength in accepting and drawing from who they are), but it isn't tough to see why people can legitimately argue that Daenerys is not the shining beacon she has been portrayed as up to this point.

EDIT: Awkwardly my autocorrect has turned every instance of "Westeros" into "Westerns"
I think you've perfectly described how I feel about this, its very difficult for my to understand people who've put her on a pedestal. It also doesn't help that most of the time she comes off as incredibly entitled and greedy.

Regginator

I had to look up that shit because I didn't remember too, lol. But apparently the dagger was used by an assassin who wanted to kill Bran in season 1, but failed. And in another episode LF said to Catelyn "there's only one dagger like this and it's mine", meaning LF was behind it.

I need to rewatch everything again.

The dagger was used by an assassin who tried to kill Bran Stark whole he was in a coma in season 1.

Its ownership is unclear. Baelish owned it and lost it to Tyrion (betting on jousting, maybe?). How the assassin got it is unclear.

Well, there is hypothesizing but it comes from book material.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Im not an expert, but that dagger was Littlefinger's. It was used to kill Bran in his sleep for some reason, but Catelyn stopped this and the assassination failed.

Littlefinger claimed the dagger used was his, but that he had lost it to Tyrion or something (thereby implicating the Lannisters and starting shit).

He probably gave it to bran because he's a jerk and thought it was funny.

At this point don't you think Bran knows this?

Also so far all Bran's done since he got back to Winterfell is brood. He broods well, I'll give him that.

nubbe

Tyrion won Little Fingers dagger in a gamble

bAUE2gs.gif

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
As did Aegon the Conqueror's claim to begin with.

Its only logic to destroy a house after you've defeated them. It doesn't give her a claim.
Aegon literally used dragon fire to forge and create the Iron Throne. There were no monarchs of the seven kingdoms of Westeros before him and his family. The Iron Throne is in of itself a symbol of House Targaryen as is King's Landing, which Aegon founded when he won the war. It's what Winterfell is to House Stark. If the Starks can argue their claim for their ancestral seat, so can the Targaryens. What matter is whether you have the forces necessary to take it back.

Because Bronn and Jaime are two of the most likable characters of the show.

Edit: When the dragon stared down Jaime and was about to light him up, I realized how sad I would be if Jaime died, same with Bron.

Jaime is a terrible character. He was interesting at first, then they showed some growth, but he hasn't been of any value since his return to kings landing. He just stands around making annoyed looks at euron now. It's the fault of writing.

Then where are they? The army that took High Garden was the majority of the Lannister army plus the Tarly army. Jamie said they were not going to be leaving any soldiers behind to occupy the region. The caravan was indicated to be extremely large (stretching from KL to wherever the battle took place) and was of the highest priority for them to protect given the resources and what Tarly said about protecting it. We were only shown the destruction of a small amount of the caravan, but it would be ridiculous plot armor for the tens of thousands of mounted Dothraki to not be able to run down and slaughter the majority of the remaining troops.
The bulk of Lannister/Tarly army had already left with golds to Kings Landing. Randyll Tarly said that the army they currently had collecting food wagon was the "tail" of the army, which means the very back end of the army. Jamie, Bronn, and Tarly stayed behind to make sure the remaining soldiers collect the food and be on their way, and Tarly was annoyed with how the tail of the army was being very slow, hence he recommended Jamie to "flogging them to speed up".

effzee

The episode was amazing btw. 10/10 for me but that isn't saying much cause I think this show has had many 10/10 episodes. I was tense the whole last 15 minutes for the battle, not even sure who I wanted to root for. I actually did think they were going to trick us by thinking the dragon would die but then he would swerve to avoid the shot and it would Danny straight on. She would die and Jon would take over her armies, her dragons, and her war(s).

Thankfully she didn't die. Also reading some of the comments in this thread, wow people really hate Danny. Like I get it if you think the actress is bad or the character is lame, but in the GOT world, outside of the Starks she is the closest to good you get.

I haven't read the whole thread since the episode aired and I am sure this has been mentioned many times but to me clearly the title of the episode "Spoils of War" actually refers to the end shot where Jamie is saved but will clearly be captured by Danny.

I think this what turns the war for them or at least will have Cersei decide if she cares enough for him to give up something. The Iron Bank might also reverse course seeing that the food for their armies just went up in flames and they can't back a losing side. With only 3 episodes left, and 9 overall, this conflict has to resolve if they are going to properly address the WW threat.

On Jamie - I don't agree that this moment, this war, or the dragons, will have Jamie realize that he is on the wrong side of the battle. Sure he has had moments throughout the show where you see he isn't a monster (not like his sister anyway), wants to do the right thing, has tried to do the right thing (Brienne, Sansa, Tyrion, and just a general sense of sanity) but no matter how much we think he is about to change, when it comes to his sister all that goes out the window (like Bran) and he becomes just as cruel. Probably worse cause he is whipped and knows better whereas Cersei is pure evil.

Anyway some speculation for next week and the rest of the season From the preview, we see
Varys asking Tyrion to talk some sense into Danny,
which I assume is going to be about Danny wanting to kill Jaimie whereas Varys,
Jon and Tyrion will try to convince her to use him as a bargaining tool.

I can also see Jon somehow healing or bonding with the injured dragon to reveal he is a Targaryan.

Thank you, I don't know how people remember this stuff

Well outside of the B word that the OT forbids from mentioning, you can see that the show always has a "previously on..." that purposely brings up scenes that have a relevance to the rest of the episode.

So you should pay more attention to them, because it's easy for a lot of people to not be properly watching those scenes. If you don't remember those scenes, you might be able to get quick recaps on youtube if you search "Game of thrones Season X in 5 minutes"

So, I'm clearly in the minority here, but this was a rather weak episode for me. Exciting, sure, but there are so many complete lapses in logic and common sense that it is too hard to look past. Why would the Dothraki horde charge in? Why wouldn't Dany bring all three dragons? How does Bronn avoid direct dragonfire that burns so far and wide? How is it that Jaime gets knocked off his horse while charging, into water that is that deep? How is it that being under a few feet of water protects him and Bron from dragonfire?

And you're perfectly ok with the following:

Teenager who can see and affect the past
Dead men walking
Saying a few words can bring someone back from the dead

Deception

No but I expect characters who have traditionally acted logical for this long in the show to not start doing illogical things in order to create conflict. I never said anything about taking the spear out of her dragon; thats understandable because as a mother shes protecting her child. No problem there. Its everything else by not just her but by Jaime and Bronn as well that pretty much pulled me right out of whats happening on screen.

And yes the water thing was just dramatic flair. Thats fine, I can roll with it. I'll still call it for what it is. Another poster put it beautifully, were getting to the point where this stuff is all spectacle over substance.

That might be their thing, but why was it even necessary when when she could have just destroyed everyone with her dragon by flying down the line of soldiers instead of right at them (or bring 3 of them)
What possible threat would the dragons be protecting dragonstone from?
No one's that quick.
Lmao, we went from 6 inches of water max to an endless abyss that went beyond what the eye can see. This was silly.

There is a lake near where I live that does just that. Several people have drowned over the years because of the perception that all lakes gradually get deeper.

OrionX

Sansa seems to be steering towards LF more now after seeing Arya and Bran skill.

Yeah a lot of people seem to think she's gonna turn on LF soon but I'm not so sure. She knows he can't be trusted, but she thinks she has control over him since she knows what he wants. I think she plans to keep him around for as long as he seems useful.

While it's true that Sansa doesn't seem "gifted" like her siblings, I think it's intentional. I feel like she could be a dark horse character. The innocent girl who learns from each villain she encounters, becoming harder and smarter with each lesson. No one expects much from her but she's seen the "game" being played firsthand quite a bit and enjoys being in power now. I think she'll end up wanting to be Queen, just not for the naive reasons she had as a girl. Maybe she'll see an opportunity to make that a reality somewhere down the line.

Or maybe she'll do something dumb and get herself killed lol.

The King's Landing sets in season 1 look like some shitty BBC show compared to season 2-7.

R2HE5YL.jpg

Amazing. I wish they had the resources to redo season 1 with today's budget. I wonder if some good CGI work can help. That one tree in that picture is so obviously plastic lol.

It looks straight up "1990s in 2010s" or "Canceled after season 2" quality.

Just imagine when they remake the series into a movie series or total reboot in like 2040. I wonder how dated today's seasons will look by then

The plot armor stuff is kind of annoying. Bran could tell everyone anything they need to know and doesn't. I think a few of you pointed out many pages ago that instead of telling Sansa about everything Littlefinger has done, he tells her about how beautiful she looked at her wedding.

effzee

That dagger was used way back in season 1 to try and assassinate Bran when he was recovering from his fall in Winterfell. Catelyn and Summer stopped the assassin and brought the dagger to King's Landing, where Littlefinger said the dagger was his but Tyrion Lannister had most recently been the owner. This caused Catelyn to take Tyrion prisoner, essentially kickstarting the war proper.

The implication here being that Littlefinger was behind that attempt on Bran's life because he just likes to stir shit up and throw the world into...."chaos".

He was behind the death of many of the major characters which kickstarted this whole mess. Once Bran was injured and to ensure the Starks and Lannisters would be at war forever, he tried to kill Bran.

Sanctuary

I need to rewatch everything again.

For the first five seasons, I would rewatch all of the previous seasons again right before the new one would start. Didn't do that for this season though.

The King's Landing sets in season 1 look like some shitty BBC show compared to season 2-7.

R2HE5YL.jpg

You need to stop watching heavily compressed garbage versions of the show. Because they don't look anywhere near that bad on Blu-ray. But in any event, so? They've been consistently upping their sets.

Amazing. I wish they had the resources to redo season 1 with today's budget. I wonder if some good CGI work can help. That one tree in that picture is so obviously plastic lol.

It looks straight up "1990s in 2010s" or "Canceled after season 2" quality.

Just imagine when they remake the series into a movie series or total reboot in like 2040. I wonder how dated today's seasons will look by then

Man, some of you. Cinematography goes a long way to compensate for budgetary restrictions, and the first season had it in spades. Most of the time the show was gorgeous, even in the first season.

jotun?

And you're perfectly ok with the following:

Teenager who can see and affect the past
Dead men walking
Saying a few words can bring someone back from the dead
internal consistency

establishing that things like magic exist in a fictional world does not make it OK to abandon all logic

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
You need to stop watching heavily compressed garbage versions of the show. Because they don't look anywhere near that bad on Blu-ray. But in any event, so? They've been consistently upping their set.
You wanted me to take out my blurays to take a quick screenshot?

And my point was exactly that they've upped their game since then, so I don't even get what your issue is.

Sanctuary

You wanted me to take out my blurays to take a quick screenshot?

And my point was exactly that they've upped their game since then, so I don't even get what your issue is.

Because your example in conjunction with comments from others make it seem like it simply looked low budget overall.

url-18.jpeg

King's Landing specifically had quite a few good shots too.

edit: Isn't that shot right outside a brothel too? Why wouldn't it be in the "low rent" section anyway? Also, apologies if I'm appearing defensive or whatever, because it's not that. It's just that when the first season aired, I couldn't believe how damn good everything looked overall, especially for a TV series. The fact that they've managed to consistently improve is just amazing to me.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
The implication here being that Littlefinger was behind that attempt on Bran's life because he just likes to stir shit up and throw the world into...."chaos".

He was behind the death of many of the major characters which kickstarted this whole mess. Once Bran was injured and to ensure the Starks and Lannisters would be at war forever, he tried to kill Bran.

How would that logistically make any sense? First episode they mentioned that the ride from KL to Winterfell took a month or so. In order for LF (who was in KL at the time) to have plotted Bran's assassination, he would first have to get a raven sent to him in KL, and then send a Raven back with a dagger attached to it for the killing (because how else would his dagger show up in the North?). No if anything, him trying to blame Tyrion is where he enters the story, and it fucking gets what you posted at the end to happen lol. Cat kidnaps Tyrion based off of Littlefinger stating that he lost the dagger in a bet. BOOM!

Lyonaz

Man this episode was straight up FIRE! Loved it.

Also I love the House Stark raiment. Arya looks amazing, Sansa and Jon too. Costuming in GoT has been on point.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Because your example is presented in such a way that in general that's how the show looked during the first season. It wasn't.
I was talking about King's Landing sets so i posted a screenshot of a King's Landing set. Never did I claim other sets or parts of the show looked like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom