• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Fantastic episode, but it was almost ruined by the insane Jaime and Bronn plot amor. I love them both but no way they should have come out of that alive, specially the logistics of that water being so deep so close to the ground (they even showed people waking in the "beach" right after.

They could have avoided the whole Bronn living and close to the shore if the dragon had just smacked him with his tail to cause him to go flying into the deep end.

jelly

So why did Dany torch all the food and supplies? She was angry in the earlier scene about the Lannisters getting all the food and her people will go without, so in response to that she just torches the food instead of trying to capture it?? There is literally a shot of her riding Drogon and torching the entire supply line of food as if it was a target she set out to destroy.

I think she took the advice of not burning the cities etc. but this battle was fair game and not a big food loss as the Lannisters already stashed most of the food and even then it might still be a loss anyway.

Awesome episode, I don't want the dragons to die. Stop flying directly at it. Better not be poisoned, I hate that guy who makes all the bad stuff. Arya was amazing in the fight, total confident badass.

rothgar

I just realized something...When the White Walkers pass the wall and inevitably end up at Winterfell, will some of the dead Stark lords from the crypts rise as zombies?

It would be fucked up if the northerners had to fight against zombie Brandon Stark for example.

That would be some Naruto Shippuden shit right there.

Pretty sure that's the same character, the show just decided to shorten to Night King around season 5 or so.
Hmm, that's what I thought too, but the origin story appears to be different.
We found out that the "Night King" was created by the Children of the Forest to defeat the First Men. The "Night's King" was supposedly a former Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. The latter is just a legend of course, so who knows, they could be related in some way.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Since we're talking endings here's how I think it'll go:

Jon kills the Night King, collapses on the ground and we fade to black.

Cut to 10 years later. It's still winter. Kit Harington and Emilia Clarke are wearing unconvincing old people make up as they chill in Winterfell looking down at two of their three kids practicing sword fighting. Jon calls out to Robb Hodor Starkaryen, their oldest, and tells him to practice his shield technique. Dany tells Missandei Drogo Starkaryen to not get too "fired up" as it will harm her chances in the "heat" of battle. She then looks straight into the camera and literally winks at it because fuck you.

Jon notices something, Olly Davos Starkaryen is on the upper walls of Winterfell looking out into the distance. He leaves Dany to investigate. Upon Jon's arrival he prepares to scold Olly for climbing but instead finds staring at a beautiful sunset coming up from the Horizon. Zero dawn time is over and Jon declares that "Summer has come." Dany and the two other kids come up to meet them and they all look smiling into the distance. The orchestra swells and...

Cut to credits.

giphy.gif

RocBase

This is probably a long shot, but anyone know any good channels or outlets that talk about the cinematography of Game of Thrones?

Surfinn

Just caught up.

My fuck, this show is better than it's ever been. Just.. incredible. That was the best action scene I've seen in GoT too.

WOW.

jfkgoblue

Since we're talking endings here's how I think it'll go:

Jon kills the Night King, collapses on the ground and we fade to black.

Cut to 10 years later. It's still winter. Kit Harington and Emilia Clarke are wearing unconvincing old people make up as they chill in Winterfell looking down at two of their three kids practicing sword fighting. Jon calls out to Robb Hodor Starkaryen, their oldest, and tells him to practice his shield technique. Dany tells Missandei Drogo Starkaryen to not get too "fired up" as it will harm her chances in the "heat" of battle. She then looks straight into the camera and literally winks at it because fuck you.

Jon notices something, Olly Davos Starkaryen is on the upper walls of Winterfell looking out into the distance. He leaves Dany to investigate. Upon Jon's arrival he prepares to scold Olly for climbing but instead finds staring at a beautiful sunset coming up from the Horizon. Zero dawn time is over and Jon declares that "Summer has come." Dany and the two other kids come up to meet them and they all look smiling into the distance. The orchestra swells and...

Cut to credits.
I'm still cringing at the fact that there are some people who actually want this, even though this is an obvious play on HP's terrible Epilogue.

Volimar

So since danny is on that side of the continent, is she gonna swing by and pick up the poor stranded unsullied?

For all we know she could just be 20 miles out from King's Landing. The fact that they got the gold into the city safely before the attack makes me think they're a lot closer to KL than Highgarden.

rtcn63

We're doing endings?

The final episode will just be Bran interpreting the series end to the audience as it happens and in that way of his. Then a cut to black as Journey's "Wheel in the Sky" starts playing.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
A couples theories based off the previews.

One of the original trailers showed Jon beyond the wall with a bunch of Wights or White Walkers charging him. With the pace this season is going I don't see how he makes it beyond the wall this season, so I'm gonna guess that he didn't actually go(yet) and it's a vision from Bran.

In the preview for next week, Varys says to Tyrion "you have to get her to listen." My guess is she takes Jaime captive and she wants to kill him, but Tyrion doesn't and she won't listen.

Heshinsi

So why did Dany torch all the food and supplies? She was angry in the earlier scene about the Lannisters getting all the food and her people will go without, so in response to that she just torches the food instead of trying to capture it?? There is literally a shot of her riding Drogon and torching the entire supply line of food as if it was a target she set out to destroy.

I think the simplest assumption is the correct one, in that she doesn't exactly know what those caravans were transporting. I don't know why there's an assumption that she'd know what the army she just ambushed would have in those covered caravans.

molnizzle

Hmm, that's what I thought too, but the origin story appears to be different.
We found out that the "Night King" was created by the Children of the Forest to defeat the First Men. The "Night's King" was supposedly a former Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. The latter is just a legend of course, so who knows, they could be related in some way.

Right, I'm saying they changed the origin for the show after they had already shot that expanded lore segment or whatever. Show Night King has different origin than the book Night's King, but they play the same role. There isn't both a Night King and a Night's King in the lore of the show. That's dumb as shit.

aBarreras

Right, I'm saying they changed the origin for the show after they had already shot that expanded lore segment or whatever. Show Night King has different origin than the book Night's King, but they play the same role. There isn't both a Night King and a Night's King in the lore of the show. That's dumb as shit.

dude, if you had clicked on the link you would see that the night's king was featured on season two blue ray or some shit

The Night's King is an unseen character in Game of Thrones, appearing only in the "The Histories & Lore: The History of the Night's Watch" featurette included in the Season 2 Blu-ray.

Speevy

Banned
I think the simplest assumption is the correct one, in that she doesn't exactly know what those caravans were transporting. I don't know why there's an assumption that she'd know what the army she just ambushed would have in those covered caravans.

Actually, the show was pretty clearly implying that Jon suggested the plan of attacking the Lannisters while coming back from Highgarden. He would have proposed attacking the Lannisters in an open field as a more humane solution than just burning King's Landing.

h6T8IBL.jpg

rtcn63

Actually, the show was pretty clearly implying that Jon suggested the plan of attacking the Lannisters while coming back from Highgarden. He would have proposed attacking the Lannisters in an open field as a more humane solution than just burning King's Landing.

That's what I go to, Jon advising her to attack just not the keep.

Also a possibly worrying "If Dany can't have it, no one can" mentality. I can see her trying to burn Westeros to the ground if she finds herself on the losing side. (Unless Jon somehow warms her frozen heart)

Heshinsi

h6T8IBL.jpg

You don't think "Cersei took the food" is figurative for "well shit, there goes our deal with Ollena"? How would they know that the food was being transported right there and then? I'm of the belief that she's not referring to a single transport of food, but the whole of the Reach and its bread basket having been taken from her.

jviggy43

Yeah those Wight Giants better be able to shoot bows.

giant-arrow.gif

Otherwise even just one Dragon will cut through the Army of the Dead like piss through snow.
If last episode was any indication of dany's battle strategy, shell likely just land her dragons on the ground even tho they'd be perfectly fine just flying around from above.

aBarreras

You don't think "Cersei took the food" is figurative for "well shit, there goes our deal with Ollena"? How would they know that the food was being transported right there and then? I'm of the belief that she's not referring to a single transport of food, but the whole of the Reach and its bread basket having been taken from her.

yeah, olena had the food, and now she is dead

Speevy

Banned

I don't think so. Cersei and Jaime's earlier conversation clearly states that they're going to need Highgarden's crops/food to feed their soldiers because Winter is here.

I have to imagine that they wouldn't have taken such a large army to kill such a weak army if there weren't anything in it for them.

molnizzle

dude, if you had clicked on the link you would see that the night's king was featured on season two blue ray or some shit

If you had read my post you'd know I'm aware of that.

They changed the character for the show. In season 2 they were still expecting to follow the books.

jfkgoblue

I don't think so. Cersei and Jaime's earlier conversation clearly states that they're going to need Highgarden's crops/food to feed their soldiers because Winter is here.

I have to imagine that they wouldn't have taken such a large army to kill such a weak army if there weren't anything in it for them.

Don't bother, Heshinsi will never accept that anything Dany does is wrong or dumb.

Even if it was filled with all the food from the Reach, I really don't fault her for burning the supply wagons. She's not a soldier or a warrior, but it sure as hell didn't help.

As far as we know, they don't play the same role. The original Night's king, as mentioned in the history and lore Blu Ray shorts, was a Lord Commander of the Nights watch who took a female white walker as his bride. He acted as a King of the nights watch and was defeated by the Starks teaming up with the wildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2TQHjo3xzQ <- Here is the history and lore segment in question.

The Night King is the, seemingly, leader of the White Walkers and is completely unrelated to the Night's King beside potentially also having sexual intercourse female white walkers.

There is no different or changed origins. The two are different and distinct characters.

gun_haver

Even if it was filled with all the food from the Reach, I really don't fault her for burning the supply wagons. She's not a soldier or a warrior, but it sure as hell didn't help.

At best it's that they did not scout the Lannister army at ALL before charging them and Dany was just blowing things up indiscriminately when she arrived - while at the same time having the presence of mind not to burn the Lannister front line because the Dothraki were fighting them and she would have killed all of them, too. So she thought 'well these look like Lannister supplies of some kind, best destroy them now and not wait until our certain victory to find out if it's anything we can use.'

In what way is this not a stupid thing to do for a leader who is having trouble feeding her army? It doesn't take a strategic genius.

At best it's that they did not scout the Lannister army at ALL before charging them and Dany was just blowing things up indiscriminately when she arrived - while at the same time having the presence of mind not to burn the Lannister front line because the Dothraki were fighting them and she would have killed all of them, too. So she thought 'well these look like Lannister supplies of some kind, best destroy them now and not wait until our certain victory to find out if it's anything we can use.'

In what way is this not a stupid thing to do for a leader who is having trouble feeding her army? It doesn't take a strategic genius.

Yea she probably doesn't want to roast her own troops, so she was probably thinking to cause as much havoc as possible during that one pass.

I'm saying she probably didn't think at that very moment, those might be supply columns.

If it were a video game, easy XP.

This doesn't make it not completely dumb of her to do it.

She doesn't have quick thinking and fast reflexes like Bronn does so, was it a dumb move? Yes, in the long run since she needs to feed her troops, but I won't fault her for the lack of actual front line war experience. Who else was gonna fly her dragons and ensure they don't just run amok? Tyrion?

Apologies if this has already been asked but: is anyone else scratching their head over Arya's question about which Lady Stark was in charge of Winterfell. Kinda weird. She knows her mom is dead, that leaves Sansa.

A part of me can't help but wonder if
she is a faceless man, the real Arya is MIA, and she's asking whether Arya or Sansa is in charge.

Jombie

Apologies if this has already been asked but: is anyone else scratching their head over Arya's question about which Lady Stark was in charge of Winterfell. Kinda weird. She knows her mom is dead, that leaves Sansa.

she is a faceless man, the real Arya is MIA, and she's asking whether Arya or Sansa is in charge.

It didn't make sense to me either.

Plum

Nah, I just saw it as here being extra cautious in case an impersonator is running things or something.
A faceless man wouldn't know where the crypt was nor would they know who Brienne and the Hound are.

It seems unlikely, but they keep dropping weird little data points that point to something like this:
Hot Pie says shes not herself, her wolf wants nothing to do with her, she made that creepy same little smile the waif does when she struck that pose during the fight with Brienne

I'm like 50/50 on it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom