• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speely

Banned
I beg to differ, my good sir. I think they have been destined to fall in love but one of them will have to die for the other. But I agree with you on the chemistry

I won't argue that point. I would not be upset if you were correct, as it happens. At the very least, the show is fairly-obviously foreshadowing some kind of romantic involvement.

Atomic Odin

This question has been asked the other way in this thread but I saw someone mention a few pages back how Dragons will lay waste to WW's and their armies. While it may actually be true of wights, aren't the proper WW - the generals & the night king - impervious to fire?

They weren't affected when they passed that barrier in S6 & neither that WW general when he came into the burning hut at Hardhome. This hasn't been specifically mentioned by any character yet, I assume they would want to save it as a set piece maybe? Drogon unleashing all of his breath in one go & NK be like "That's adorable..."

Ferrio

Banned
This question has been asked the other way in this thread but I saw someone mention a few pages back how Dragons will lay waste to WW's and their armies. While it may actually be true of wights, aren't the proper WW - the generals & the night king - impervious to fire?

The two things that we know can kill them are related to dragons, dragon breath being their weakness seems like a natural assumption.

edit: Actually valyrian steel being dragon related might be my own headcanon, so disregard.

Zips

"Hello Everyone. Just a heads-up that our operation 'Defend the North' has been postponed indefinitely. Turns out it doesn't matter where the White Walkers get past the wall, they all just make a beeline for King's Landing. Heh - should've seen those things go. Anyway, crisis averted. Now everybody grab a dust pan and a broom, we've got to clean up all these ice shards before Bran the Builder shows up."

...I do wonder though how they're going to work out the white walkers threatening more than just the North without killing the Starks or all their people. It would be pretty weak if they don't get south. Maybe by having more than one horde of undead? Northern survivors as refugees at Dragonstone?

Cersei will blow up king's landing with wildfire, either to keep anyone else from having it, or to blow herself and white walkers up as the city falls. The only thing that will keep this from coming to pass is Jamie killing her before she can blow everyone up.

I don't think anybody will get the throne and rule all the land. I'm more interested in how much devastation the white walkers will cause. Some 7 seasons of buildup is going to take a lot of epic battles and losses to make the walkers go out or stop with more than a whimper. It could even be interesting for it to be that the squabbles continue and allow the walkers to ultimately win and force survivors to flee the continent. More likely, especially with the writing now is that eventually people will team up and prevail over the Walkers.

I too felt Bastards was better. The dragon stuff was obviously amazing, but yea, I still think it wins out. Probably because of that shot where the entire army is charging at Jon, the tenseness of Rickon's impending doom, and of course, it concluding with Ramsay's death.

Battle of the Bastards is the greatest depiction of war I've ever seen. It's so vicious, brutal and suffocating like a real war would be.

Day and Jon getting married doesn't even matter if they fall in love or whatever. She keeps telling him to bend the knee, he will eventually, but in proposal, as a marriage alliance makes sense for both of them, and there are no better candidates for either of them than the other. It will satisfy the northerners as he will say king, it will satisfy dany, as it will unite their territories, what's not to like?

I won't argue that point. I would not be upset if you were correct, as it happens. At the very least, the show is fairly-obviously foreshadowing some kind of romantic involvement.

it's one of my endgame predictions for this show. they'll fall in love, Dany will finally be pregnant again, but one of them will die. i'll expand on this later

right now though i think Dany is more attracted to him than he is to her

hoos30

did anyone else interpret last week that Arya wasn't going back to Winterfell? I thought when she said "that's not who you are anymore" to Nymeria that that meant Arya was realizing she wasn't of Winterfell anymore and that she needed to go finish her task to kill Cersei.

The writers gave the audience a helpful signpost: The two other travelers saying, "Hey! It's only two hundred miles to Kings Landing!"

Then they show Arya turning around and going in the other direction.

I heard everyone was going nuts on this episode, so I was pumped to watch. Then I watch and it is kind of like "That's it?!" That fight wasn't very well choreographed or fun to watch. I mean...it TOOK a lot of choreographic and work to make the scene, of course. But the way it was filmed at the end was kind of meh.

As much as I like Jaime as a character, he should have died right there and then. Just imagine him being burnt like a crisp by Drogon. In a relatively "grounded" show as GOT, I can't stand that amount of plot armour.
Agreed. Some of these characters have gotten kind of stale, and I'd rather see them go. And Jamie is ridiculous with plot armor right now. I still like him.

Speely

Banned
it's one of my endgame predictions for this show. they'll fall in love, Dany will finally be pregnant again, but one of them will die. i'll expand on this later

Little does she know he's a dead fuck. :p

I hope Emilia Clarke releases a rap single called Ben D Knee.

hnaQCL5.png

Little does she know he's a dead fuck. :p

I think when she finds out he's not only a Targaryen but Rhaegar's son she's gonna get turned on even more.

She's never known Rhaegar but is convinced that he was a good man and if she is with her brother's son she's going to feel so happy inside that a piece of her brother is still on the earth and she's never gonna wanna leave his sight after that. An aunt, and a lover. In a song of ice and fire that's quite an ultimate love but on our planet earth it would be so, so wrong...

Also put me in the boat that thinks jamie should have died right there

Would have been better if Drogon shot fire through Dany and her body makes the fire go around Jamie.

He sees her completely naked but unburnt.

He says: "What are you?"

Dany: "A real woman you sister-fucking twat"

Then She moves out of the way and Drogon crisps him.

I'm relieved things are finally moving, but the pace is just all over the pace. Like weeks are passing between scene transitions without any real signposting. I think the first time I noticed this was back when Stannis just grabbed his new mercenary army off camera and teleported halfway around the continent one episode later but it seems like it's spreading to other characters too now.

Not hating the season otherwise.

LotusHD

Banned
Would have been better if Drogon shot fire through Dany and her body makes the fire go around Jamie.

He sees her completely naked but unburnt.

He says: "What are you?"

Dany: "A real woman you sister-fucking twat"

The. She moves out of the way and Drogon crisps him.

That sounds lame, sister-fucking twat line aside.

Speely

Banned
How long did it take Jon and Davos to draw all those doodles on the cave walls?

Not as long as it takes Gendry to row anywhere at all, or for Dany to leave Meereen. That's as close as I can get.

Edit:

I think when she finds out he's not only a Targaryen but Rhaegar's son she's gonna get turned on even more.

She's never known Rhaegar but is convinced that he was a good man and if she is with her brother's son she's going to feel so happy inside that a piece of her brother is still on the earth and she's never gonna wanna leave his sight after that. An aunt, and a lover. In a song of ice and fire that's quite an ultimate love but on our planet earth it would be so, so wrong...

That would be a brave choice for a tv show, but I would not oppose it. There is cultural precedence and familial tradition there. It would make more sense than not for her.

Not so sure about Jon. If he realizes what his true bloodline is, he might react differently, though I suppose one could make an argument that he would still see Ned as his "real" father and because he is a bastard and thus used to being more open about what family means, going all in.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm relieved things are finally moving, but the pace is just all over the pace. Like weeks are passing between scene transitions without any real signposting. I think the first time I noticed this was back when Stannis just grabbed his new mercenary army off camera and teleported halfway around the continent one episode later but it seems like it's spreading to other characters too now.

It's the effect of the white walkers: they are messing with the passage of time. Instead of a linear flow, it is now a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.

Why is it so unbelievable Bronn survived? You saw where he went. A good portion of that scene was him going back through the wreckage of the caravan that Drogon already crisped. They aren't gonna flame it twice unless Dany really wants to make sure that all the food is destroyed so her armies can starve.

7he Talon

You can tell that Benioff and Weiss are really trying to speed stuff up and fit everything into the 9 episodes that are remaining. No time for time.

Speely

Banned
Why is it so unbelievable Bronn survived? You saw where he went. A good portion of that scene was him going back through the wreckage of the caravan that Drogon already crisped. They aren't gonna flame it twice unless Dany really wants to make sure that all the food is destroyed so her armies can starve.

Well, he had a lot coming at him. He got outclassed and unhorsed by a Dothraki then scrambled to survive in the red zone of Drogon's assault. Hell, he did a fucking dive roll to escape a fire blast that was previously-shown to be immolating meters-wide tracts of ground area.

I am not a "realism" stickler by any means, but it was obv that Bronn survived this through plot armor. That said, all armor in a story is plot armor, so I have no trouble believing it in the context of telling a story. I just think some folks need everything to make real-world sense.

Gattsu25

Banned

I mean, he jumped aside from two fireblasts that were A) directly aimed at him both times* and B) previously shown to instantly turn people into ash.

His body was basically in the second blast, too.

*Even the second blast considering he basically put himself directly in the blast's intended location into order to deus ex machina Jamie.

RDreamer

Um... because even according to the show creators the columns of fire are like 30 feet wide. Bronn avoided the direct flames and ire of Dragon simply by diving to his right. In the shot flames hit behind him and in front of him. There's literally nothing protecting him. There's no reason at all he should be alive.

it seemed a little odd to me that dothraki guy was pursuing bronn and then apparently just gave up after a flaming cart came between them. i thought that fight would have had a climax of some sort. and that could have been bronn being killed since he was so focused on getting the scorpion/ballista working.

the "arya is really the waif" theory is the stupidest thing ive ever heard. i assumed she hesitated when she heard "lady stark" because there had previously been impostors in winterfell and she was skeptical a real stark was ruling there.

LakeEarth

I thought Bronn did survive. He jumps off the platform and only gets brushed by fire. I don't recall seeing him any time after that.

While I like his character, I didn't expect him to leave this episode alive. He was the one on the battlefield with the least plot armor.

I thought Bronn did survive. He jumps off the platform and only gets brushed by fire. I don't recall seeing him any time after that.

While I like his character, I didn't expect him to leave this episode alive. He was the one on the battlefield with the least plot armor.

He's the one who launched himself at Jaime at the end.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Did you see that hand grab though?

giphy.gif

Also put me in the boat that thinks jamie should have died right there

Jaime is a dick (at times), but he is our dick. So fuck no, he can't die.

tmp_UIlSAr_89440f7389cbe8a2_pride.gif

So Jon, are you going to follow your own advice bro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3s4-VP3JcM

So family members separated and unknown to each other, really do think alike eh? lol

That would be a brave choice for a tv show, but I would not oppose it. There is cultural precedence and familial tradition there. It would make more sense than not for her.

Not so sure about Jon. If he realizes what his true bloodline is, he might react differently, though I suppose one could make an argument that he would still see Ned as his "real" father and because he is a bastard and thus used to being more open about what family means, going all in.

This is another reason why I want Jon to bring up Aemon eventually. 2 episodes and he still hasn't mentioned it to her. The whole conversation in which Jon even finds out Aemon's identity is through the mass murder of the Targaryens. "The gods were cruel when they came for my family. I was old and blind. But when I heard they killed my brother's son. And his son. And the children! Even the little children!" - and this happened I think right after Jon got the news of Ned's beheading and he was behaving rudely to Aemon.

But yeah, if/when Jon finds out he may have to fake his feelings for a second while Dany is all glittering with love & happiness - let's forget about the fact that he'd even be sexually active with his own aunt,

his entire life was a lie, psychologically how hard is that gonna hit him? all his life believing that his father was the prince and the man who raised him as his own was his uncle? And that the kidnapping of his mother started a war? And that he is the product of the sorrow Aemon lived through; his family was murdered, and the result was Jon Snow

Speely

Banned

giphy.gif

So family members separated and unknown to each other, really do think alike eh? lol

I actually wanted Jon to bend the knee right then JUST because it's in his character. He already died once doing something that the North hated but was good for them. Whynotboth.gif?

Well, he survived getting his hand cut off without receiving anything resembling medical care.

giphy.gif
Indeed I did. However, I don't think he was trying to be romantic/flirtatious when he did that I think he was just tryna be a gentleman.

the only difference here is that when Jon was telling Mance to bend the knee, Jon was the one still arguing for the side of the people. Jon says to Dany, my people won't accept a southern ruler. That line implies to me that yes, Jon is willing to do whatever it takes to save his people so he would bend the knee, but he can't because that's asking too much of his people.

So when Dany asks "your pride" it's really "their pride", in my opinion

Indeed I did. However, I don't think he was trying to be romantic/flirtatious when he did that I think he was just tryna be a gentleman.

the only difference here is that when Jon was telling Mance to bend the knee, Jon was the one still arguing for the side of the people. Jon says to Dany, my people won't accept a southern ruler. That line implies to me that yes, Jon is willing to do whatever it takes to save his people so he would bend the knee, but he can't because that's asking too much of his people.

So when Dany asks "your pride" it's really "their pride", in my opinion
Agreed. I'm not a big fan of Dany whipping out that quote, not only because it seems silly for her to use the same exact quote, but because the situation is different. And you're supposed to be focusing on Jon in that moment, and what is going on in his brain...but all I'm left thinking is "DROP IT WITH THE DROP THE KNEE SHIT ALREADY!" She is just a broken record at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom