• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching reaction videos, and I LOVE how torn everyone is over this battle. People's emotions are all over the place just like mine were. This is legit I think the first battle in the series where the majority of people don't want to see any of the major players dying. Everyone is freaking that Jamie, Bronn, Dany, or Drogon could die and no one wants to see anyone killed.

Masterful battle we had here. Brilliant how we are seeing fan favorites fighting against each other like this. Its a bit of a new element

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I think she needs to be generous to win support. The worst case scenario is that she would just burn them in their castles.

I don't think she'll do the later, and as they noted in the making of vid, the scorpion weapon is probably going to give Dany pause in regards to doing another head on attack like she just did. My biggest worry is that she shows mercy and later that results in biting her in the ass. Jon said that the punishment for treason is death, but if the lord's committing the treason are alive (unlike the Karstark and that other dude), does she strip their titles and make them understand they at least get to keep their lives? I wouldn't want them serving as lords, so the Sansa suggestion is very much apt here.

I've been watching reaction videos, and I LOVE how torn everyone is over this battle. People's emotions are all over the place just like mine were. This is legit I think the first battle in the series where the majority of people don't want to see any of the major players dying. Everyone is freaking that Jamie, Bronn, Dany, or Drogon could die and no one wants to see anyone killed.

Masterful battle we had here. Brilliant how we are seeing fan favorites fighting against each other like this. Its a bit of a new element

I noticed that as well. I also noticed that not one reaction video I've watched had anyone that I can remember feel any sympathy for the actual Lannister army. People where mostly fist pumping and cheering when the Dothraki and Dany showed up.

I wonder how many fans turned on Bronn for shooting Drogon? It feels like a lot of people are on Danny's side for the most part.
I don't think she'll do the later, and as they noted in the making of vid, the scorpion weapon is probably going to give Dany pause in regards to doing a head on attack like she just did. My biggest worry is that she shows mercy she and latter results in a dagger in her back. Jon said that the punishment for treason is death, but if the lord's committing the treason are alive (unlike the Karstarks and that other dude), does she strip their titles and make them understand they at least get to keep their lives? I wouldn't want them serving as lords, so the Sansa suggestion is very much apt here.
That is true. The scorpion is a game changer but I wonder how long it will last? I'm expecting those things to kill one dragon.

Gin-Shiio

Bronn has Evade +2 from his gear, so he has more invulnerable frames than usual when he dodges.

game-of-thrones2.jpg

Heshinsi

I wonder how many fans turned on Bronn for shooting Drogon? It feels like a lot of people are on Danny's side for the most part.

That is true. The scorpion is a game changer but I wonder how long it will last? I'm expecting those things to kill one dragon.

Well I think any worries of Dany doing a deep strike on King's Landing is put on ice until they figure out how to negate that weapon. So are we now in the war of attrition stage?

If I'm Dany, I would immediately fly down to Dorne to get that shit figured out. An army, resources, people who hate the Lannisters, all in one place. She'll also need to reestablish control in the Reach. This is where something like Sansa's suggestion would work. Find a loyal Tyrell Bannerman who didn't get fucked by being at High Garden, and make them Lords of the Reach. Retrieve the Unsullied and have them go back to Dragonstone, and start planning for what to do, knowing that a good bulk of the Lannister army has been neutralised and/or shook to their core. And for the love of god, no plans that involve sailing anywhere lol. The seas aren't safe.

duckroll

So it should depend on the brother's background. If he came from a background that's trustworthy or humble then they should be given a chance; maybe the guy was unhinged but in his last moments he realized his mistake and wanted to warn Ned. If Ned let him live things could've gone differently.

Yeah things would have gone differently. Word would spread that if you wanted to desert the magic words were White Walker. What then? It wouldn't help people believe it more, it would just make justice a joke and undermine the legends further. Wanna break your vows? I saw a White Walker! Lmao.

Well I think any worries of Dany doing a deep strike on King's Landing is put on ice until they figure out how to negate that weapon. So are we now in the war of attrition stage?

If I'm Dany, I would immediately fly down to Dorne to get that shit figured out. An army, resources, people who hate the Lannisters, all in one place. She'll also need to reestablish control in the Reach. This is where something like Sansa's suggestion would work. Find a loyal Tyrell Bannerman who didn't get fucked by being at High Garden, and make them Lords of the Reach. Retrieve the Unsullied and have them go back to Dragonstone, and start planning for what to do, knowing that a good bulk of the Lannister army has been neutralised and/or shook to their core. And for the love of god, no plans that involve sailing anywhere lol. The seas aren't safe.
Dany has a big mess on her hands. I hope that her advisors are up to the challenge for trying to get the Lords of the Reach. I expect them to get some of them but not all of them and Dorne seems like it would be a bigger mess seeing we don't know who is in charge down there.

Militarily speaking, after burning up the Lannister army it would make more sense to win over the lords of other realms and ignore King's landing. But I get the impression that what last episode was trying to show us was burning up the food supplies instead of the army - although to me that didn't make much sense since clearly they could have just torched the armies and stolen the food for themselves.

Heshinsi

Dany has a big mess on her hands. I hope that her advisors are up to the challenge for trying to get the Lords of the Reach. I expect them to get some of them but not all of them and Dorne seems like it would be a bigger mess seeing we don't know who is in charge down there.

Oby tells Cersei he has eight daughters, and we've only seen three, and he mentions that the fifth daughter is difficult (which I'm assuming means she's a wild child).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPch3Ur3uJ4

With how the Starks keep leaving one of their own in charge every time they leave Winterfell, I would imagine Ellaria has one of the remaining five looking after things while she's gone. Which does in turn make the absence of Dorne that much more ridiculous. So Dorne essentially does have five pissed off Sand Snakes there, and an untouched army. How are they not in play?

Oby tells Cersei he has eight daughters, and we've only seen three.

With how the Starks keep leaving one of their own in charge every time they leave Winterfell, I would imagine Ellaria has one of the remaining five looking after things while she's gone. Which does in turn make the absence of Dorne that much more ridiculous. So Dorne essentially does have five pissed off Sand Sankes, and an untouched army. How are they not in play?

I don't think it's worth opposing the Lannisters unless you're one of the main players. if Dorne sent an army, here's how it would go -
Code:
Jaime: Oh no the Dornish have sent an army
Cercei: Don't worry I have a plan *smirk*

(Cut to footage of Dornish army instantly getting wiped out by some ol' bullshit in a < 2 minute scene )

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I don't think it's worth opposing the Lannisters unless you're one of the main players. if Dorne sent an army, here's how it would go -
Code:
Jaime: Oh no the Dornish have sent an army
Cercei: Don't worry I have a plan *smirk*

(Cut to footage of Dornish army instantly getting wiped out by some ol' bullshit in a < 2 minute scene )
Yea. The lannisters have that super power.

Oby tells Cersei he has eight daughters, and we've only seen three, and he mentions that the fifth daughter is difficult (which I'm assuming means she's a wild child).

With how the Starks keep leaving one of their own in charge every time they leave Winterfell, I would imagine Ellaria has one of the remaining five looking after things while she's gone. Which does in turn make the absence of Dorne that much more ridiculous. So Dorne essentially does have five pissed off Sand Snakes there, and an untouched army. How are they not in play?
I would assume that Dany needs time to get that army to hopeful attack Kings Landing or any other Lannister allies castles.

Lulubop

Soooo, just watched the entire thing up to now in an entire week. My thought are pretty jumbled but I love the show, and this last episode was fantastic.

Militarily speaking, after burning up the Lannister army it would make more sense to win over the lords of other realms and ignore King's landing. But I get the impression that what last episode was trying to show us was burning up the food supplies instead of the army - although to me that didn't make much sense since clearly they could have just torched the armies and stolen the food for themselves.

She could've just burned them and won with the dragon alone, but she was losing the war and needed to show she was more than a girl with dragons. She got to demonstrate the that the Dothraki can fight armored Westorosi just as good and that the dragon is only part of her arsenal.

She could've just burned them and won with the dragon alone, but she was losing the war and needed to show she was more than a girl with dragons. She got to demonstrate the that the Dothraki can fight armored Westorosi just as good and that the dragon is only part of her arsenal.

No I get that part, I just meant more that it feels like it was illogical to burn the food unless they thought it was unlikely they'd win the battle. I think what they were trying to get at was that she was going to be raiding supply lines, but as it was depicted on screen it seemed like they had the battle well under control and could have simply re-captured it and used it productively.

My guess on what happens with Jaime.

- They want to kill him, Tyrion pleads with Danny to keep him alive.
- Jaime gets spared, his bro friend on the other hand gets massacred right in front of him, leaving him even more sad at his actions since he joined squad Dragon.
- Ep 6, they sorround KL
- Use prisoner Jaime to go in and reason with the Mad Queen to open the doors, or Drogon & Co. burn everyone. Danny doesn't want to do cuz she wants to be loved
- Goes in trying to reason with her, the Mad Dumb Queen refuses
- She then says to Qyburn to set everything ready to burn at a later point in the ep to burn everyone when she finds out she took the L
- well.. we've seen this dance before
- Albeit I see Jaime killing himself afterwards. Dude seems like he gives no fucks about life anymore. Could have tortured the old lady after finding out about Joffrey, but said fuck it and left. Almost felt like a voluntary suicide mission when he went to attack Drogon

Episode overall was one of the best in the series. Amazing. Director and everyone involved deserve cookies for that last 20 minutes of absolute magic on top of some great stuff previously seen. Danny is also becoming a pretty damn interesting character this season, back to s1 levels of greatness for me. Also awesome to see a dragon wrecking shit.

Heshinsi

Drogon descends from the clouds

tumblr_na04qkm9AH1s80p8mo1_500.gif

He punches a hole for the cavalry to make a breach

1tqv99.gif

Cut to Dany focused and raining down fury

tumblr_nu4ulaoQ1l1tb3do1o1_500.gif

Target lock...oops, was that the one with the food in it?

1tqv5q.gif

Bronn's plot armour magic

giphy-downsized-large.gif

What we want to see in the future

tumblr_o0cgizB28h1t38w1ko1_400.gif

gun_haver

I find it hard to connect the Jamie who pushed Bran out the window with Jamie post season 1, cos it was in the very first episode and his characterisation was very broad and different. It wasn't a 'pilot' episode exactly, and I am sure it was in the books, but it's pretty impossible to imagine him doing something like that now, especially in the callous way he did.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I find it hard to connect the Jamie who pushed Bran out the window with Jamie post season 1, cos it was in the very first episode and his characterisation was very broad and different. It wasn't a 'pilot' episode exactly, and I am sure it was in the books, but it's pretty impossible to imagine him doing something like that now, especially in the callous way he did.

Cersei would do anything for her kids

Jaime would do anything for Cersei

He's still the same guy that we saw in episode 1, we've just learned more about him but there's no doubt he'd still throw Bran out of that window if he knew it would put his family in danger. He tells us how far he would go far Cersei in season 6, too.

EUA

I wonder how many fans turned on Bronn for shooting Drogon?

I was hoping to see that dragon eat the projectile and go down.

I think the dragons are cheap thrills and GOT could easily do without them. I also feel people riding dragons are straight up fan-fiction level writing that doesn't belong in a politics-dominated show.

gun_haver

Cersei would do anything for her kids

Jaime would do anything for Cersei

He's still the same guy that we saw in episode 1, we've just learned more about him but there's no doubt he'd still throw Bran out of that window if he knew it would put his family in danger. He tells us how far he would go far Cersei in season 6, too.

Yeah he possibly would do it again, if the circumstances dictacted. I mean they don't anymore, their relationship isn't putting them in danger anymore, nor does he really have a family anymore. I can't imagine him immediately brushing it off with a smirk and a sarcastic line: 'The things I do for love', anymore though. Seems like something he'd be talking Cersei out of doing now, when back in season 1 she was the one who felt guilty afterwards.

zoukka

I was hoping to see that dragon eat the projectile and go down.

I think the dragons are cheap thrills and GOT could easily do without them. I also feel people riding dragons are straight up fan-fiction level writing that doesn't belong in a politics-dominated show.

This series is about dragons, teleporting fleets and plot armor now.

JimiNutz

Banned

I on the other hand was severely disappointed that nobody died. I also think that had Drogon died it would have really upped the stakes. Dany should have still won the battle but at the cost of her prized Dragon which would have been very interesting moving forward.

I guess it's still too early to start killing major players now though.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Jon had hundreds of arrows fall everywhere but on him during the Battle of the Bastards lol.

untitled-263.gif

This was funnier than Jaime and Bronn not getting hurt. He turns around, kneels, and the arrows just fall around him in a circle. I figured that it was the Lord of Light providing divine cover. Maybe the Seven are doing the same for Jamie and Bronn :)

Most of those arrows are already on the ground from before. Look at the gif again.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I on the other hand was severely disappointed that nobody died. I also think that had Drogon died it would have really upped the stakes. Dany should have still won the battle but at the cost of her prized Dragon which would have been very interesting moving forward.

I guess it's still too early to start killing major players now though.

was hoping for this, cause Bronn is a god damned champ and the scene with cersei seeing how the catapult worked made it imply that thing would smash a dragon no issues. but then it was 'lol it's a toothpick'.
I really liked the ep. Don't bend the knee though John. whens the 'i'm the rightful heir' revelation coming and hows that even going to work if nobody knows? He's gonna need to survive a fire...

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Has anyone considered that they might have tipped the scorpion's crossbow bolt with something? Scorpions stings can be venomous and lethal right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom