• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK

I just read some weird ass jon/dany fanfic in some hole on the internets. I'm quite disturbed atm.

and intrigued

I hate Jon/Dany shippers. Jon is way too good for Dany, plus (series spoilers/speculation)
she might be his aunt. Plus Dany is into alpha male assholes, which isn't like Jon. I'll be pissed if GRRM does pair these two up. Ygritte should be the only love interest Jon has in the series, because it was the best romance in the books.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Wasn't Qarth the city where the women have a breast hanging out of their dress?
Of all the things HBO pulls back from, that one makes me chuckle

Wasn't Qarth the city where the women have a breast hanging out of their dress?
Of all the things HBO pulls back from, that one makes me chuckle

Yeah, Clarke has been nude plenty of times and portrayed simulated graphic sex on screen multiple times.
With the little amount of scenes she actually has
I'm surprised they thought it was a bad idea to stick to that detail. The whore scenes are all far more awkard than the concept of local exotic garb exposing one breast.

It's not a big deal to me. I'm just bitter because I'd take any excuse for more Dany goodness.

Started book 2 yesterday. One thing that I feel doesn't really come across very well at all in the tv series is the effect of the war on the countryside/"smallfolk". I'm only a few chapters in, but they're constantly referencing how angry the peasants are in Kings Landing, food shortages, and the danger of living in the country with a war going on.

I guess it may be hard to establish that with the limited time, but it seems to be a pretty important detail.

Speevy

Banned
I'm new to this show, but I don't really understand how someone enters thread and thinks "Oh, they're discussing the books in here!"

I mean I know you should read every OP, but it's just a roll of the dice as to whether someone realizes each thread exists.

lol

Started book 2 yesterday. One thing that I feel doesn't really come across very well at all in the tv series is the effect of the war on the countryside/"smallfolk". I'm only a few chapters in, but they're constantly referencing how angry the peasants are in Kings Landing, food shortages, and the danger of living in the country with a war going on.

I guess it may be hard to establish that with the limited time, but it seems to be a pretty important detail.

If and when that stuff comes to a head, you can be assured the show will cover it.

Tyrion does mention the anger of the peasants, and the Small Council discussed the food shortage. Overall you're right, but I do feel the show has done a decent job expressing the situation.

I do wish there were more exterior shots of someone/anyone walking around King's Landing. It's such a beautiful city, I'd love to see more of it. We've seen some of that in the trailers so I guess it happens in later episodes. Still, it would have been nice to have Tyrion walking around the city earlier, getting a sense of things. But nah, let's give Ros 5 minutes instead.

KingK

I agree, although in the newest episode that first scene with Robb after the battle did a decent job of showing this. But yeah, they haven't really shown the discontent among the citizens of King's Landing yet, which is pretty important.

They'd probably be able to demonstrate this better without all the time consuming, pointless Ros scenes.

FStop7

Banned
I was just browsing the "no book" thread and I can't believe the way that people who've read the books go in there and lord their knowledge over those who are only watching the show.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Is it really that bad over there? The only time I've been there was to see people's instant reactions to shadow baby.

Yeah, Clarke has been nude plenty of times and portrayed simulated graphic sex on screen multiple times.
With the little amount of scenes she actually has
I'm surprised they thought it was a bad idea to stick to that detail. The whore scenes are all far more awkard than the concept of local exotic garb exposing one breast.

It's not a big deal to me. I'm just bitter because I'd take any excuse for more Dany goodness.

Well every lady in Qarth would have to have one breast exposed, and they would most likely have to pay every actress extra for that

Zzoram

I suspect Dany isn't going to get naked anymore now that she's more of a star and the show has already grabbed audiences.

As for shipping, it always seemed to me like Arya and Gendry are going to end up together. The original plan was for a Stark to marry a Baratheon to unite their families and rule together. Gendry is the only heir left and Arya is his friend and travel companion now.

Who Dany should end up with isn't really clear to me. If Gendry and Arya have the throne, she can't. If she has the throne, it seems like she'd kill anyone else that might pose a threat or have a claim to it, so Gendry, the Starks and the Lannisters would all die.

Still not sure how the witch and the undead play into things. Maybe everyone just kills each other, the undead invade, and Dany saves the day with dragons to claim the throne. I can't see that being it though, because everyone else who wants the throne won't suddenly settle for less.

Gvaz

Banned
I was just browsing the "no book" thread and I can't believe the way that people who've read the books go in there and lord their knowledge over those who are only watching the show.

Yeah so?

Book readers just want to drink up all the discontent people will have, that they had and their speculations because everyone they love will die and everyone they hate they'll love and vice versa. It's that kind of a story, and I don't think tv viewers understand that everyone is fucked in this story. Everyone.

Famassu

I agree, although in the newest episode that first scene with Robb after the battle did a decent job of showing this. But yeah, they haven't really shown the discontent among the citizens of King's Landing yet, which is pretty important.

They'd probably be able to demonstrate this better without all the time consuming, pointless Ros scenes.
They haven't really focused on the war that much yet either, so I think it'd be weird if they would emphasize how horrible it is to the common folk. There's been build up for the war, but they haven't shown much of it.

That said, the fourth episode did have its share of exactly that (probably because it had the first war "scene" of Season 2). They DID show quite a lot what the common folk think of the war/have to go through (after Robb's attack, the torture scenes @ Harrenhal) plus we've seen what Robb getting the army together has done to the North (very little work-aged people to do everyday stuff).

I've said it before, but they will have plenty of time to focus on how the war has ravaged the countryside in [series]
AFFC. One of the best things, imho, about Brienne's chapters in the book was to show the aftermath of the war for the common folk. How miserable it is everywhere and how the war has left them ill prepared for winter. It's shown before, but AFFC really hits hard with it. There isn't a place in most of Seven Kingdoms that the war hasn't affected, other than Dorne and the Stormlands, which, if I've understood correctly, have been mostly untouched by it.

Annnnd that's another reason why the scene felt unnecessary. I suppose Joffery could have been torturing them for hours, and thus they didn't leave his bed chamber in time to make it to Tyrion's before Lancel...but that sounds unlikely.

Did he even comment on it? The assumption is that it would be delivered but why put in such a strong scene (rather, strong in intensity) and not have the receiving character even comment on it. Maybe I missed that. I agree though, I felt the scene was unnecessary after the Sansa scene. I mean, I hated Joffrey since early in Season 1, and once he began is reign of terror, it just increases every episode. Perhaps the scene was to build a really maniacal conflict between Tyrion and Joffrey? That's already been sign-posted when he arrived at King's Landing.

Qrath is going to be so cool...

Famassu

Did he even comment on it? The assumption is that it would be delivered but why put in such a strong scene (rather, strong in intensity) and not have the receiving character even comment on it. Maybe I missed that. I agree though, I felt the scene was unnecessary after the Sansa scene. I mean, I hated Joffrey since early in Season 1, and once he began is reign of terror, it just increases every episode. Perhaps the scene was to build a really maniacal conflict between Tyrion and Joffrey? That's already been sign-posted when he arrived at King's Landing.

Qrath is going to be so cool...
Yeah, I do think that scene was important in setting up future interactions with Tyrion & Joffrey (while also, of course, making Joffrey seem even more sick & twisted). Not sure why we don't see Tyrion reacting to Joffrey's... gesture, maybe they'll do that in the next episode.

I hate Jon/Dany shippers. Jon is way too good for Dany, plus (series spoilers/speculation)
she might be his aunt. Plus Dany is into alpha male assholes, which isn't like Jon. I'll be pissed if GRRM does pair these two up. Ygritte should be the only love interest Jon has in the series, because it was the best romance in the books.
I want it to happen just so I can see the reactions of those against it, like you! lol.

aceface

Talisa scene.

Zeliard

Tyrion's reaction to Joffrey's sadistic psychopathy is likely to come in the next ep. I doubt they're just going to brush something like that off.

apana

No, this is Pyat Pree:

tumblr_m2wvhbGIdk1qis07wo1_500.jpg

I am definitely in favor of apana and Dany shipping. (´・ω・`)

Except Pyat Pree has to leave.

apana

Watched the latest episode again. The new Mountain sucks. He hasn't had much screen time so I'll still give him a chance but I'm worried.

His height and creepy voice really work but yeah I would have preferred the old guy.

Eh. Robb had this "I have the weirdest boner" face while she was sawing off that poor sap's rotten foot.

I've seen this type of relationship set up in tv and films too much. The girl shows up with a feisty attitude and some clever quips and the guy is all like "omg you're so intriguing, I think I love you".

ezrarh

I was hoping they'd show the plight of the peasantry through Arya's journey but it might just be limited to that torture scene, now that she's official cupbearer to Tywin. (ACOK)
They will have to make it clearer on the fact that the people in King's Landing are starving and angered at Joffrey and the people in charge since it looks like they'll have the Myrcella leaving for Dorne scene. On top of that, Margaery and the Tyrells coming in to bring food should be shown.

FStop7

Banned
I've seen this type of relationship set up in tv and films too much. The girl shows up with a feisty attitude and some clever quips and the guy is all like "omg you're so intriguing, I think I love you".

It's weak writing and it deviates from the book. Oh shit am I allowed to say that?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think he was more amused than smitten. Like "I can't believe this crazy woman is talking to me like that. What the fuck".

apana

I was hoping they'd show the plight of the peasantry through Arya's journey but it might just be limited to that torture scene, now that she's official cupbearer to Tywin. (ACOK)
They will have to make it clearer on the fact that the people in King's Landing are starving and angered at Joffrey and the people in charge since it looks like they'll have the Myrcella leaving for Dorne scene. On top of that, Margaery and the Tyrells coming in to bring food should be shown.

series spoiler
I think they will just save all that for her journey after she leaves Harrenhal.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
good episode :)

I wonder how people will take the supernatural elements.

apana

I think he was more amused than smitten. Like "I can't believe this crazy woman is talking to me like that. What the fuck".

I did enjoy that scene when she is leaving and he asks her where she is from. I really like that music that plays when she mentions she is from Volantis, season 2 soundtrack will be awesome.

Uriah

A Clash of King question regarding some characters from the books:
Is Aeron Greyjoy or Podrick Payne going to appear in the show?

A Clash of King question regarding some characters from the books:
Is Aeron Greyjoy or Podrick Payne going to appear in the show?

The first has not been cast, and the second appeared in an episode already (filling Tyrion's wine cut during his dinner with Slynt)

LuchaShaq

Banned
They just need to put some shoulder pads on him and he'll look fine.

Couldn't disagree more.

Season 1 You knew who "the mountain" was the moment you saw him, gigantic, intimidating, and looked like he could throw down.

Now? I watched the whole episode without realizing one of them was supposed to be Gregor, I know he got replaced but I literally couldn't tell which guy was the mountain. After googling pictures of the new guy he looks like someone that wouldn't intimidate prince Tommen let alone other warriors.

Randdalf

I can't help but feel robbed of (ACOK spoilas)
the Hound's interactions with Sansa so far. I really don't understand why they had Littlefinger tell the story of how he got burned in the first season. He is seriously one of the most brutal and dangerous characters I've read about in a book (it's amazing how well GRRM portrays brutes), and I'm not feeling that yet from the TV Hound. Makes me wonder if they're even going to include her singing at knifepoint and his breakdown during the Blackwater (though the latter at least has to be in for plot purposes).

I can't help but feel robbed of (ACOK spoilas)
the Hound's interactions with Sansa. I really don't understand why they had Littlefinger tell the story of how he got burned in the first season. He is seriously one of the most brutal and dangerous characters I've read about in a book (it's amazing how well GRRM portrays brutes), and I'm not feeling that yet from the TV Hound. Makes me wonder if they're even going to include her singing at knifepoint and his breakdown during the Blackwater (though the latter at least has to be in for plot purposes).

And if it is included, it won't have the same impact because the character has not been developed at all. But at least we have Ros, right?

Seriously, check out his audition tape:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIWX2fPx-5k

And yet he does nothing on the show. jesus

Seguin

Banned
As for shipping, it always seemed to me like Arya and Gendry are going to end up together. The original plan was for a Stark to marry a Baratheon to unite their families and rule together. Gendry is the only heir left and Arya is his friend and travel companion now.

Edric Storm would have a pretty good claim to heir of House Baratheon

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I loved watching those audition tapes on the BR set. It was just a pain in the ass that they hid them as Easter Eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom