• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

MORE ENTIRE SERIES SPOILERS OF THE TYPE YOU DON'T WANT TO FUCKING READ
They can warg into whatever, so long as Martin never forces us to read about animal sex again.

ABOMINATION.

SERIES
I dunno, I wouldn't be shocked if Sansa never wargs into anything. Maybe losing Lady was a lot more meaningful than it appeared to be.

It could be. And I wasn't necessarily expecting it to happen, just theorizing.

SOS Spoilers
What is great with the Red Wedding is that it is soul crushing but then you get a little hope with the Viper and the Mountain that someone is finally going to pay on the Lannister side. I still think the best scene in the whole series is the fight between the two. Tyrion starts completely devastated and doomed but the Viper fights so well that Tyrion starts to get so into it and you feel it too. Just as we are about to feel a little better, it all fucking ends horribly again. This is the scene I so want them to nail but this will probably happen in season 4. I really hope they get a good fighter for the Viper and that new Mountain is decent. Old Mountain would have been better though as he was pretty imposing in his brief Spartacus moments.

All Book Spoilers
There's really no hope at all in the entire series to me.. every character of strong moral fiber is probably going to get axed.... the ones that haven't already... Martin will probably have some new character introduced in the final novel who wins all.. just a nice little fuck you to us fans. I'm all in with Jon Snow hoping he's not dead.

apana

the full song is very well done. i dont care for those celtic sounding other versions, they sound way too much like an irish pub song.
ASOS spoilers
Though I wonder what it'll sound like in the Red Wedding scene, the song is supposed to be sung by the musicians in the scene right? Cant sound like this version if supposed to be "live".

I understand what you are saying about the "celtic versions" but just keep in mind that those are fan made and put up on you tube so it is very rough. It would sound much better if they were given the chance to do it professionally. I like those better because it sounds like something I would expect to hear in that medieval world. I also like it to sound more dark than sad. Here is another song by those guys. Not exactly how I imagined it but very good. Only click if you have read all the books (just trying to be safe):

series spoiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6VMSYIXCCY&feature=channel&list=UL

Amy Poehler meeting NCW at the Peabody Awards thing yesterday. She's apparently a big GoT nerd and the show gets mentioned all the time on P&R.

39QGp.png

Adam Scott is best friends with David, so there is probably that too.

- WiC.net with a roundup of recent cast interviews

I think all of these have been linked in the thread, but it's worth a look for anyone that's looking for more content.

I bet Tina Fey is also a big GoT fan. There have been a couple mentions on 30 Rock this season and she is good friends with Poehler IRL.
Good call. I've seen a couple references this season on 30 Rock.
Adam Scott is best friends with David, so there is probably that too.
Ah, that makes sense.

tmdorsey

No, I found a site where they do cartoon drawings of TV characters. The only problem is that they have a watermark across them so I've been removing them and making avatars. There are 3 more GoT ones I could do (Drogo, Jon, Tyrion) but I haven't gotten around to them yet.

http://www.toonseries.blogspot.ca/search/label/Game of Thrones

Surprised and sad the guy didn't do one for Arya.

Also this is thread really blows my high the majority of the time.

Tess3ract

Banned
What the fuck is the point of having Westerling being written out but replacing her with a girl from voltanis?

I don't see the problem, she had about as much development as this replacement.

No, series spoiler
Remember, Tyrion is also suppose to be fucking ugly and a midget. They didn't make Dinklage wear any makeup so I don't think they will do that now. For the show, him being a little person is enough in terms of his development on the show side. They don't need to compound the fact that he is ugly and that he has no nose

I was hoping it would happen this season just to see viewer reaction. You know, since he's one of the few likable characters in the show.

bengraven

I was hoping it would happen this season just to see viewer reaction. You know, since he's one of the few likable characters in the show.

Eh, it adds nothing to him in the books, except to have GRRM write (SOS)
"his scar itched".

Unless he's suddenly a Horcrux, it's not important.

frequency

Spoiler tagged just in case
Assuming there are many more seasons to come, wouldn't it be a pain if they did it? Having to put on that kind of make up always from this point on.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Listening to (Soundtrack and Later episode spoilers)
The Rains of Castamere with Rainymood going on in the background.

So good. Just chilling.

apana

What's your favorite scene of the entire series?

The scenes that mean the most to me personally are most of the ones from episode 1 because after watching that episode I was instantly hooked. In particular the first beheading and direwolf scene. I think the best scene overall was the beheading of Ned or maybe when Ned is walking into the throneroom to declare that Joffrey is not king.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Maybe it's just me, but I don't hear it. It sounds more like the Harry Potter theme, as others have mentioned. Most likely, Dinklage was just whistling tunelessly.

ETA: I mean, they probably shot this way back in Aug or Sept of last year. The National probably recorded their version a few months ago.

Yeah I don't hear anything similar there.

3rdman

SERIES
I dunno, I wouldn't be shocked if Sansa never wargs into anything. Maybe losing Lady was a lot more meaningful than it appeared to be.

Series:
I was thinking about this just recently...of all the Stark kids, Sansa is really the only one I would describe as "rudderless"...she seems to be incapable of independence and is more easily manipulated. Is it a coincidence that her wolf is the only one to have died while their master lived? Like you, I too think Lady's death was more meaningful than it appeared to be.

The scenes that mean the most to me personally are most of the ones from episode 1 because after watching that episode I was instantly hooked. In particular the first beheading and direwolf scene. I think the best scene overall was the beheading of Ned or maybe when Ned is walking into the throneroom to declare that Joffrey is not king.

Yeah, it's strange. I started rewatching Season 1, and while most of Season 2 has been better, just purely from an "events" standpoint (for most characters), Season 1 has such a strong sense of cohesion that's largely absent from Season 2.

Yeah, it's strange. I started rewatching Season 1, and while most of Season 2 has been better, just purely from an "events" standpoint (for most characters), Season 1 has such a strong sense of cohesion that's largely absent from Season 2.

Well put. I agree with the cohesion factor. I've read the books, but I wonder how it is for non-readers as the characters drift apart and stay apart for a long time. It probably detracts from the watchability for a casual fan.

(series)
Seeing as though their wolves are the primary means through which the Stark kids have developed their warg abilities, I don't think Sansa will ever have the means to develop as a skinchanger.

And it seems like the ability to skinchange is a matter of circumstance and not one of heredity. Unless I've misunderstood or overlooked something, it seems like the Starks developed the abilities because of the wolves, not because they inherited it. I don't recall any suggestion that there have been large numbers of Stark skinchangers.

Lothar

Banned
I'm curious if there's anyone that prefers Season 2.

Season 2 seems so much slower, less eventful, and less focused. Around the middle of Season 1, something mind blowing was happening in each episode. We haven't got that this season at all.

ezrarh

I'm curious if there's anyone that prefers Season 2.

Season 2 seems so much slower, less eventful, and less focused. Around the middle of Season 1, something mind blowing was happening in each episode. We haven't got that this season at all.

People have said that the dialogue in Season 2 has improved over last year's season. However, due to the nature of the source material, there's not as much "oh shit" moments so far but I think the last 2 episodes will get people excited for season 3 and bring the grade for this season up.

And as frequency said, the Theon stuff has been my favorite scenes to watch this year and probably overall, even though I didn't like reading it at first in the book.

gdt

S2 is clearly better and more confident than S1.

BUT, the source of the story, A Clash Of Kings, is pretty much all buildup for the finale, unlike Game of Thrones which rises and falls. However, both the book and season are better than the preceding ones.

Edit: Theon is one of the best characters/stories/arc in the series. I'm in love with where his story goes.

pr0cs

Edit: Theon is one of the best characters/stories/arc in the series. I'm in love with where his story goes.

agreed, and Allen has (imo) been killing it this season. I hope the show can get to his stuff in the latter books because it will be interesting to see if he can pull it off as strong as he has in this season.

So are they going to (series)
keep Alfie Allen around for the next couple of seasons and show his descent into Reek, or are they just going to bring him back in a few years?

Lothar

Banned
People have said that the dialogue in Season 2 has improved over last year's season. However, due to the nature of the source material, there's not as much "oh shit" moments so far but I think the last 2 episodes will get people excited for season 3 and bring the grade for this season up.

And as frequency said, the Theon stuff has been my favorite scenes to watch this year and probably overall, even though I didn't like reading it at first in the book.

I didn't want to compare it to the book because I didn't want to go back over the same complaints I already made but there were lots of "oh shit" moments from the second book at this time. House of Undying already happened. Arya took over Harranhal. Bran and Rickon's deaths being fake was less obvious and felt more like an event. I believe it was also at this point that (Cok)
Robb was wounded by an arrow in battle, which was how he first meets Jeyne/Talisa.

The last two episodes could have had holy shit moments comparable to the first season. I don't think the source material is to blame.

gutshot

So are they going to (series)
keep Alfie Allen around for the next couple of seasons and show his descent into Reek, or are they just going to bring him back in a few years?

(series)
They're casting Ramsay Snow for S3, so it sounds like Theon will remain in the picture.

LuchaShaq

Banned
(series)
Seeing as though their wolves are the primary means through which the Stark kids have developed their warg abilities, I don't think Sansa will ever have the means to develop as a skinchanger.

And it seems like the ability to skinchange is a matter of circumstance and not one of heredity. Unless I've misunderstood or overlooked something, it seems like the Starks developed the abilities because of the wolves, not because they inherited it. I don't recall any suggestion that there have been large numbers of Stark skinchangers.

Spoiler related to his spoiler and a tiny spoiler about next season.

I think the blood has much to do with it just like how the greenseer seems to be a crannogmen thing. I would be shocked if any non northerner/wildling on the show/in the books ever warged. There have always been rumors about Mormont's laying with bears, maybe some of them can warg? Now I'm just being silly imagining the Umbers warging giant's since it's their sigil. Although Tommen warging into his kittens would both be the funniest and dumbest thing ever.

AngryMoth

(series)
They're casting Ramsay Snow for S3, so it sounds like Theon will remain in the picture.
Really?! [series]
i suppose it would be quite difficult contract wise for the actor to to have to leave and then come back in 2 season. Still this is a confusing to me. His transformations from reek back to Theon is the interesting arc, not the reverse. I mean, they can't just show him being horrifically tortured for 2 seasons. My purist senses are tingling! I suppose if Ramsey was the focus of the scenes they could get away with it, maybe they could tie him more into the red wedding.

Really?! [series]
i suppose it would be quite difficult contract wise for the actor to to have to leave and then come back in 2 season. Still this is a confusing to me. His transformations from reek back to Theon is the interesting arc, not the reverse. I mean, they can't just show him being horrifically tortured for 2 seasons. My purist senses are tingling! I suppose if Ramsey was the focus of the scenes they could get away with it, maybe they could tie him more into the red wedding.

I think beginning next season is when we're going to see D&D make good on their statement that this is their adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire rather than each season is an adaptation of each book. A lot of the events mentioned in the spoiler are probably going to be moved up and featured next season and I would wager that a few other events/storylines will be moved up and around quite a bit especially when you get to books 4 and 5, where you have so much stuff happening concurrently (but may not be obvious when reading the books).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom