• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Would rather pay HBO a reasonable price for timely online access than just use my parents HBO go but hey if they don't want my money the only obligation I have is to not pirate it.

Not paying 100$ for cable to watch mad men/game of thrones and then have food network on in the background when I clean or workout.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
How is it more morally justifiable to "borrow" someone's HBO Go access to watch a show over just pirating the thing? You're still watching the shit for free.

Anyways, how is the HBO Go video quality on Xbox? I tried watching some Sopranos on my laptop and for some reason the video quality was sub-YouTube quality and nearly unwatchable.

tirminyl

Can't anyone with HBO watch their shows online via HBO GO?

Not if you have Time Warner. I know they are finally working on a deal but because I ditched cable, I do not want to pay $70 a month just to pay HBO $15 a month to watch the show. Since Time Warner customers can't use HBO Go, I would have to go over friends house to watch shows.

It's fun to do but you kinda get tired driving over to someones house every week to watch a tv show with the other alternative being that you wait a year and get spoiled by other people, article headlines, etc.

Oh well. I am ready for S2!

Anyways, how is the HBO Go video quality on Xbox? I tried watching some Sopranos on my laptop and for some reason the video quality was sub-YouTube quality and nearly unwatchable.
I checked it out the other night, and I was pretty happy with it. I only watched for a few minutes, but the image quality was about on par with the DirecTV HD feed I get for HBO. It's going to depend on a lot of factors including your connection speed.

Kuroyume

Banned
tumblr_m1mabiPKjX1r7vnsro1_500.png

http://mrhipp.blogspot.com/2012/03/glob-of-thrones.html#links

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Not if you have Time Warner. I know they are finally working on a deal but because I ditched cable, I do not want to pay $70 a month just to pay HBO $15 a month to watch the show. Since Time Warner customers can't use HBO Go, I would have to go over friends house to watch shows.
Time Warner Cable picked up HBO Go two or three months ago. I'm not sure who the hold outs are now. Certainly some of the ultra small regional providers out there, but not many of them.

aFIGurANT

How is it more morally justifiable to "borrow" someone's HBO Go access to watch a show over just pirating the thing? You're still watching the shit for free.

Well on the first point, those Siemens boxes are taking that kind of shit into account somehow, supposedly...

But for the second thing yeah I was watching all of Sopranos on a really well setup PC with a wired connection (25/25 provisioning w/ Comcast) and I would get that weird like green/brown filter over the screen and it would drop to like 240p for a good 20 mins at a time. So I think there are some issues with the GO servers in general for maybe older, bigger shows, quite possibly. I've watched all of S1 of GoT on a completely ruined laptop screen with no complaints though so for me it's not tooo big a deal.

Pkaz01

First four episodes

ah that makes sense, thanks.

ACOk spoilers
I was wondering why they were so focused on just the political stuff with tyrion and all that but I'm guessing these are all before Renly's death and before shit hits the fan so they have only seen the speculation of which king will go down first. I hope people don't overlook the stories that aren't central to the kings landing plot, especially since Tyrions story in Clash is so interesting its easy to just pay attention to those scenes.

But since its just the first 4 i dont know if that will be the case since you cant fast forward HBO like you can a book

- io9: We’ve seen 4 episodes of Game of Thrones season 2!
We called Game of Thrones season one an astounding achievement — and this continues to be true in season two. This show is continuing to redefine what's possible on television. Some of the leaping around from subplot to subplot may get a bit dizzying, but you see pretty quickly how it's going to pay off, and the show is continuing to do a great job of developing minor characters and strengthening the connections between them. Most of all, this is a great political epic, in which the nature of power and government is questioned, over and over again, and it's left to the audience to come up with its own disquieting answers.

Mordeccai

Holy shit at those clips.

Spoilers from S2E2 clip
That scene with Tyrion and Varys was AWESOME. I swear I remember reading lines similar to that, and if not, then it is amazing that the writing gave me that impression. I've always enjoyed Varys in the books and this actor plays him so god damn good, even though that clip was just a minute and a half I was following it intently and totally in the mood to watch the entire episode. Good stuff!

Sunday is coming!

Gila

Alright, just finished season 1 completely (didn't watch the latter half of the show until now).

Good God, I can't wait.

I. Can't. Wait.

Puddles

Banned
Was anyone else kind of put off by Loras Tyrell's body in Season 1? Watching it again, he isn't muscular enough. Someone who trained with a broadsword and shield every day would have much more developed musculature than he did.

Dude should have hit the gym harder after being cast for the role.

Cornballer are you the internet?

I'm pretty sure Cornballer is actually Alan Sepinwall.

Chris R

Just got my copy of Season 1 on Blu-Ray....it's fucking awesome!!!!

Got my copy a few days back (Best Buy did right by me in the end, shipping the Stark edition from another store and then comping it for me since they botched the Pre-Order)

It looks great, can't wait for S2 to start on Sunday!

- LA Times review: 'Game of Thrones' returns on a truly epic scale
As with the novels, this "Game of Thrones" is breathtakingly ambitious, an ever-unfurling tapestry that threatens, at times, to overwhelm its frame. That it does not is a testament to the power of piecework — art is not defined by the space it occupies but by its details, the truth it captures. Many heads bend over this adaptation, each belonging to a master of his or her craft, and what emerges is a truly new, and miraculously accurate, definition of epic television.

Puddles

Banned

Yet that lack of an empathetic central focus is one of the reasons Game's appeal is deeper than it is broad. It's not just the genre and the at-times-pretentious solemnity keeping the series relegated to cult status; it's the absence of the kind of larger point or heroic goal that pushed fantasy's big-screen trinity —Star Wars, Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings— into mass acceptance.

At heart, those were clearly battles between good and evil, freedom and tyranny. Game is a contest among tyrants to see who rules them all. Some are more sympathetic, but in the end, who wins will likely mean little to those being ruled.

So take that title at its word. This is, indeed, a Game. Enjoy it, if you do, on that level. Just don't expect everyone else to play along.

Am I missing something? Isn't the series a huge crossover hit at this point?

Am I missing something? Isn't the series a huge crossover hit at this point?

For a premium cable show, it's still incredibly niche compared to things like Star Wars, Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. What the reviewer says is pretty much spot on. That 2nd paragraph you quoted hits right at the themes of the series. There really isn't anything wrong with that review.

for the most part yeah. It's just another reviwer who needs a moral protagonist to lead the show and can't really get into the fantasy setting. It's still positive, but in a backhanded kind of way.

Well of COURSE you need a moral protagonist. No show that is deserving of critical praise will survive without one.

BTW, just caught up with S1 of The Sopranos. It was awesome when Tony murdered all those people.

bengraven

Larry Williams confuses me so much.

He's got this clear, almost radio perfect voice and can ramble without slurring his words or losing himself too much. Then there's the "reaction" videos where he comes off as an every day kind of guy, pissed off because his favorite character got killed. He's a good looking dude who doesn't look overly nerdy.

But then you hear him do his "Otaku Assemble" thing or watch his other reviews and he's a pretty big fucking nerd.

Edit: oh, ouch, one of the "big spoilers" that happens later in the series was ruined for him. I feel bad for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom