• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loofy

So from this episode and the next episode preview it looks like they'll be making these changes from the book I think.
Arya goes on an adventure with Jaqen. Sansa goes on an adventure with the Hound.

Casting question [ACoK, series]
Have they cast anyone for Prince Rhaegar? "The dragon has 3 heads" is probably one of the most important lines of the entire series.

So from this episode and the next episode preview it looks like they'll be making these changes from the book I think.
Arya goes on an adventure with Jaqen. Sansa goes on an adventure with the Hound.

Neither of those makes any sense for some pretty major events of the third book/season. Besides, it looked like
Sansa stayed behind when the Hound left.

Charles Dunce. The best role in any of the Alien films, outside the first one. I said it!

It's Charles Dance, you dunce!

Fantastic episode, best of the series by far. Wildfire explosion was incredible and I didn't miss the chain at all. Every actor nailed their part tonight.

Leeness

Holy crap. Just finished.

That was just...I'm speechless at its flawlessness. Wow.

They hit pretty much every single note perfectly (okay, I kind of missed that Sandor didn't get Sansa singing at knife point, hand on cheek tears, etc, that's one of my favourite moments, but other than that).

But. Goddamn.

Holy fuck @ that episode. Not just the best episode of Game Of Thrones, that was one of the best episodes of television. I've been hard on this show at times, but that was simply stunning.

I also loved how every time a character was about to start telling a story, they were interrupted. It was almost like Martin trolling lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Neither of those makes any sense for some pretty major events of the third book/season. Besides, it looked like
Sansa stayed behind when the Hound left.
Exactly, plus
the way Arya said "I want to" to Jaqen sounded like the next words out of her mouth would begin with "but..." which would lead off her journey with Gendry and Hot Pie to Riverrun.

jett

D-Member
Man, I guess my imagination is bigger than HBO's budget.

Well, this obviously wasn't the battle described in the book, at all, but it was still cool. As it is written on the book I doubt it could even be done on a hollywood blockbuster budget. The wildfire was nailed and that is good enough for me.

Lothar

Banned
Can we please get GRRM to write every episode? (Not like the series is going to be finished either way) As amazing and awesome as the fighting was, I thought the episode was 10x more awesome because of the dialogue. Dialogue had been a bit on the weak side in recent weeks IMO. This week, almost every dialogue scene was powerful. Cersei, Sansa, Tyrion, Stannis, it was all done wonderfully. The Tyrion speech was damn good. There was more characterization for a few characters in this episode than they had all series up to this point. Lena Headey is the perfect Cersei. I'm sorry for doubting her in season 1. I had high expectations and was blown away.

If HBO didn't give them the budget to do a big battle, I think they could have still pulled off a really great episode. The best scene for me in the entire episode wasn't even part of the battle. It was Cersei sitting on the throne telling her son a story before she's about to poison him.

Tess3ract

Banned
Yeah I generally hate Lena's previous acting but she hit it out of the park this time, but I imagine that's because GRRM wrote the episode out instead of D&D

Can we please get GRRM to write every episode? (Not like the series is going to be finished either way) As amazing and awesome as the fighting was, I thought the episode was 10x more awesome because of the dialogue. Dialogue had been a bit on the weak side in recent weeks IMO. This week, almost every dialogue scene was powerful. Cersei, Sansa, Tyrion, Stannis, it was all done wonderfully. The Tyrion speech was damn good. There was more characterization for a few characters in this episode than they had all series up to this point. Lena Headey is the perfect Cersei. I'm sorry for doubting her in season 1. I had high expectations and was blown away.

If HBO didn't give them the budget to do a big battle, I think they could have still pulled off a really great episode. The best scene for me in the entire episode wasn't even part of the battle. It was Cersei sitting on the throne telling her son a story before she's about to poison him.

I agree 100%. It would have been very easy for those dialogue cutaway scenes to slow down an episode like this, or cause groans/rolling eyes. But the dialogue was truly good, as was the acting; Lena was amazing as Cersei tonight, and Sophie Williams turned it an impressive performance as well. And Dinklage, oh man.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Outside of the terribly abrupt ending, it was fantastic. Show drastically improved being able to focus on one group, rather than having to jump between 5 other areas.

I absolutely loved some of the lines too.
"Bunch of brave men on the other side of the wall"
"Lets go kill them"

Content round up

8l5am.jpg

Reviews:
- EW.com
- Onion A|V Club
- WiC.net
- memles

Other content:
- Promo for next week's finale (please spoiler tag any discussion, youtube vid)
- EW.com: How the producers pulled off 'Blackwater'
- Inside the Episode (HBO vid)

Reviews are a little slow coming this evening as there were no screeners this week. I'll update and repost a few times as necessary.

See Cornballer? The love is back for a while.
It bought us a few hours, yeah. ;)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I agree 100%. It would have been very easy for those dialogue cutaway scenes to slow down an episode like this, or cause groans/rolling eyes. But the dialogue was truly good, as was the acting; Lena was amazing as Cersei tonight, and Sophie Williams turned it an impressive performance as well. And Dinklage, oh man.
Just because Larry is starting to stop hating her doesn't mean he'll marry her.

Sophie Turner

I'm arguing with someone on another forum who is claiming the finale battle in Spartacus S2 was better executed than tonight's. I just...*throws hands up* outside of Band Of Brothers (a miniseries with a far larger budget) NOTHING compares to tonight's battle in terms of television. It's not even close.

Socreges

Banned
Don't know if this will make much sense, but.... I'm glad I didn't know that GRRM wrote this episode. Would've enjoyed it just the same, but afterwards I might have felt that I was biased, knowing that GRRM was behind it. Instead I thought it was amazing ('elevated' is the most appropriate word), but just thought it was because it was a special episode in the season.

Really enjoyed how much was pulled from ACOK.

....that sounds weird.

Meier

So nice to read positive reactions. :) The wildfire was absolutely immense and I loved how the Hound was just cutting through people like butter. A man of his size and stature wielding a greatsword surely would be able to do so.

lacinius

Great episode... liked the fireball up the middle of the explosion like it was an atomic blast to go along with the ships getting torn apart. The battles on the field, and the verbal clashes behind the fight, were all interwoven quite well. A nice mixture and good balance, as opposed to just mindless action. Can't believe it all ends next week... and then another year long wait. :\

Certainly they must resolve something about Winterfell next week, and not wait a whole year for that?!?

Magnus

So nice to read positive reactions. :) The wildfire was absolutely immense and I loved how the Hound was just cutting through people like butter. A man of his size and stature wielding a greatsword surely would be able to do so.

Most people I view such battle scenes with in any show or film always laugh at how unbelievable the violence is, claiming there's no way single sword strokes could wreak that kind of devastation on the human body. I personally, honestly have no idea how realistic such scenes are. Would Sandor's one stroke slicings be in the realm of reality?

That was a great hour. Wildfire spectacle aside, the battle was a little hohum as far as I was concerned. Hollywood battles have obviously spoiled and ruined me. Dialogue and characterization was fantastic as always.

The notion that every other season 2 story will be wrapped next week (likely each with their own bang) makes for an extremely packed and exciting prospective episode. Can't fucking wait.

GCX

The wildfire scene has gotta be one of the best scenes in television history. Such a perfect build-up for it.

The episode was edited so well between the battle and Cercei's scenes.

NOTHING compares to tonight's battle in terms of television. It's not even close.
Everything else I can think of that's comparable (e.g. BoB, The Pacific, Rome) is in a different weight class when it comes to budget.
The notion that every other season 2 story will be wrapped next week (likely each with their own bang) makes for an extremely packed and exciting prospective episode. Can't fucking wait.
I think we're getting an extra few minutes next week for the finale. WiC.net has it listed at 64 minutes. :D

Everything else I can think of that's comparable (e.g. BoB, The Pacific, Rome) is in a different weight class when it comes to budget.

Yea, I mentioned BoB as a miniseries can't be compared due to having a larger budget. I'd certainly argue this was larger/more impressive than the major Rome battle though

Jack Gleeson continues to impress. When he shouts at Tyrion "what would you have me do", he really drives home the cowardly little boy his character turns into when he's in the thick of it. You wanted him to actually stand and fight, do something, anything that merited a shred of respect.

It's a great contrast with swagger,cocksure little shit commanding Sansa to kiss his sword.

Socreges

Banned
Lots more. The Pacific was $200 million for 10 episodes, iirc.
Looks like Rome's budget was higher by not so much ($8.75M per ep compared to $7M), but that can definitely make a big difference.

Can't believe The Pacific was so expensive. Such a soulless series compared to BoB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom