• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

stupei

They could have each one represent one of the seven colors and sort of do it while not actually doing it. (incredibly minor ASOS, that will totally appear this season) And
Brienne's color could be whatever they assign to the maiden. Obviously.

bengraven

Rainbows have been such a big part of gay rights for decades and George himself is a filthy liberal who spent much of that time in the western United States. I have a very hard time believing that he wasn't aware of what he was doing. That said, it was likely unconcious if true.

Ithil

I really wished it was synced better with the music too. I love the concept and title music, but some stronger creative touches would serve it well.

ETA: regardless, it's still probably my favourite hbo intro and better than the majority of the others.

It's actually well synced for the first few episodes of Season 1, changed as it goes from location to location and having the violins come in as it switches back to the Sun/logo thing, but once it adds a fifth location in the Eyrie/The Twins, the music goes out of sync with the visuals. Unfortunate.

bengraven

It's actually well synced for the first few episodes of Season 1, changed as it goes from location to location and having the violins come in as it switches back to the Sun/logo thing, but once it adds a fifth location in the Eyrie/The Twins, the music goes out of sync with the visuals. Unfortunate.

Yeah, in the longer versions it's kind of ridiculous how many times they just repeat a line instead of composing new music at the end to fill in the gaps. It sounds like a record skipping.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Yeah, I've been whining about this for a year now and I'm glad it's not just me. I really hope they've done a better job of that this season.

jett

D-Member
Yeah, while it's obviously not as explicit as it was in the show, if you read all the books there's really no excuse to not have figured it out, it's made very clear.

When I read the books I had absolutely no fucking clue until I was told about it in this forum. It was quite a shocker to me, let me tell you. :p

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
When I read the books I had absolutely no fucking clue until I was told about it in this forum. It was quite a shocker to me, let me tell you. :p

Haha I knew somebody would say that, and I didn't mean any offense by it. But...

series spoiler
The time when Jaime told Loras he'd shove his sword farther up Loras's ass than even Renly ever reached

Was pretty clear haha.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So, I've been catching up on the books and as such, I haven't watched season 1 yet. Do we know how many seasons this thing is planned for? I want to pick up the blu-rays for s1 and eventually s2, but i'd like to watch along with GAF in the future.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So, I've been catching up on the books and as such, I haven't watched season 1 yet. Do we know how many seasons this thing is planned for? I want to pick up the blu-rays for s1 and eventually s2, but i'd like to watch along with GAF in the future.

In the words of EviLore, "the situation is fluid." The show could be canceled at any time. Most believe it'll at least get through ASOS, so 4 seasons. Most aren't really optimistic it'll continue through the whole series. The producers have said they'd like 8 seasons to tell the story.

In the words of EviLore, "the situation is fluid." The show could be canceled at any time. Most believe it'll at least get through ASOS, so 4 seasons. Most aren't really optimistic it'll continue through the whole series. The producers have said they'd like 8 seasons to tell the story.

You would have to be crazy to not be optimistic at this point that it'll continue through the whole series.

TheExodu5

Banned
So, can Maisie Williams win an Emmy this year? Can child actors even win them? I thought she was one of the best actresses in the first season and I expect even greater performances from her this time around.

jett

D-Member
So, can Maisie Williams win an Emmy this year? Can child actors even win them? I thought she was one of the best actresses in the first season and I expect even greater performances from her this time around.

It'll depend if HBO wants to submit her name to be considered for a nomination.

You would have to be crazy to not be optimistic at this point that it'll continue through the whole series.

Talking about the whole series is a bit much seeing as we don't even know when/if the books will be finished. And adapting ADWD/AFFC is going to be pretty troublesome. I could easily see the show running out of steam in say the 5th season and ending.

I'm surprised they went for Northern English accents for the Northern characters as opposed to Scottish accents. The blokes that play the Mormonts are Scottish, as is Robb Stark's actor. Although in Robb's case, the accent wouldn't have fit with Sean Bean's at all.

No "Norn Iron" accents either.

I think they did it just because of Sean Bean's accent. He was one of their first actors right? They probably shaped it after him. I'm just talking out of my ass.

Two days to go. :D

I'm not going to be on GAF much this weekend, but I'll try to catch up on everything next week. Glad to see the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the first four episodes.

Did any of you guys feel the score in s1 was overtly software-y sounding? It got to be pretty distracting for me. Hopefully it sounds more natural in s2.

AngryMoth

I think they did it just because of Sean Bean's accent. He was one of their first actors right? They probably shaped it after him. I'm just talking out of my ass.
Going by the medieval England analogy I think it makes perfect sense for the northerers to have northern accents. GRRM has said his inspiration for the wall was Hadrian's wall, so the wildlings should really be the ones with Scotish accents. Come to think of it, I really hope they cast a Scotish actor for
Tormund

LuchaShaq

Banned

Why does it matter? The Wire never got a single emmy acting wise, that alone makes the emmys matter as much as what people leave in port-o-pottys.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I would love nothing more, but you're definitely in the minority on this. Not only are all the books not published but they're only getting bigger and more expensive. I don't think it's certain that they won't make it, but I'm definitely not assuming they will.

Memles

Not to be lording access over anyone, a question: for those reading pre-air reviews, is there anything you haven't seen discussed that you're interested in learning more about? I'm sitting down to write a (spoiler-free) review of the first four, and I'm struggling to find something productive to say beyond "Guess what? They're great and stuff" given that everyone and their mother has already written their reviews.

Bigfoot

I would love nothing more, but you're definitely in the minority on this. Not only are all the books not published but they're only getting bigger and more expensive. I don't think it's certain that they won't make it, but I'm definitely not assuming they will.
I really don't think that matters. What matters is $ and if the ratings are good and HBO is making money, the show isn't going to end just because of the reasons you stated.

I'm in the group that feels that the show can finish properly even if shortcuts need to be made for some parts of the story due to budget. The producers also know how the story ends if the books aren't finished.

Not to be lording access over anyone, a question: for those reading pre-air reviews, is there anything you haven't seen discussed that you're interested in learning more about? I'm sitting down to write a (spoiler-free) review of the first four, and I'm struggling to find something productive to say beyond "Guess what? They're great and stuff" given that everyone and their mother has already written their reviews.

I haven't seen much of any discussion on the musical score. I really liked the music in s1 but at times it did sound somewhat small, and lacked a full orchestrated sound.

I'd also love to read more on the directorial and cinematography aspects of the early episodes. The early eps from last season rarely felt epic or interesting; it was shot like a standard drama in many regards. That changed in the later eps and I have read Alan Taylor's work once again gives the show the scope it deserves...but what about the other directors?

anaron

I haven't seen much of any discussion on the musical score. I really liked the music in s1 but at times it did sound somewhat small, and lacked a full orchestrated sound.

I'd also love to read more on the directorial and cinematography aspects of the early episodes. The early eps from last season rarely felt epic or interesting; it was shot like a standard drama in many regards. That changed in the later eps and I have read Alan Taylor's work once again gives the show the scope it deserves...but what about the other directors?

Seconded.

Talking about the whole series is a bit much seeing as we don't even know when/if the books will be finished. And adapting ADWD/AFFC is going to be pretty troublesome. I could easily see the show running out of steam in say the 5th season and ending.

That's already been accounted for - I believe Weis & Benioff have stated in interviews that GRRM told them how the series will end just in case of such an event.

Emerson}I would love nothing more said:
As a previous poster said - the dollars and money are good, and there is no indication momentum is slowing. This series is tracking more like The Walking Dead than Boardwalk Empire. Plus, the show is cheaper than Rome, and they can account for the new locations with relative ease.

anaron

GoT is going to be huge by the end of this season; hell, most would probably argue it already is.

Show is going nowhere.

The New York Times wrote a scathingly negative review for the first four episodes of season 2.

The guys main points were: It's boring. Sean Bean died. Nobody can take his place. It's boring. Too much sex and violence. It's boring.

Altazor

The New York Times wrote a scathingly negative review for the first four episodes of season 2.

The guys main points were: It's boring. Sean Bean died. Nobody can take his place. It's boring. Too much sex and violence. It's boring.

also, lol nerds dungeons and dragons olololo

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
GoT is going to be huge by the end of this season; hell, most would probably argue it already is.

Show is going nowhere.

I would love to know where all you people were when I was making the same argument a year ago with no support.

The way TV works today I think it's foolish to assume we'll get anything more than a third or fourth season.

anaron

I would love to know where all you people were when I was making the same argument a year ago with no support.

The way TV works today I think it's foolish to assume weF'll get anything more than a third or fourth season.

Except this is on hbo, it's highly acclaimed AND has a very healthy fanbase. Tie that in with the bucketloads of cash they're making internationally, off of DVD sales and general merchandising and you have all the ingredients it will ever need to live off of for a very long time.

Game of Thrones is a mainstream success. Knowing the material, they should have no issues maintaining the audience up until the end of Season 4.

Didn't the first season ratings steadily rise throughout? That's rare.

Snake

I agree, the music was often an afterthought in season 1; the biggest exception being the end of the finale, which really hit on all cylinders for me. Listening to the OST afterwards, I could appreciate what was there a bit more, but I still wasn't exactly wowed.

Then again, aside from when they're in some large battle, this isn't the type of show that really needs a sweeping score very often. But you won't see me complaining if they step it up.

edit: Sunday is so close I can taste it.

The show is very successful but rapidly increasing budgets would be a problem for any show on television regardless. The books get bigger and bigger, introduce you to entirely new cities with different characters, etc.

If the rumors are true and seasons three and four (a split of the third book) are some simultaneously, things will get even more expensive and complicated. I've always felt the show would struggle to last past the third book, and while its super success is definitely a good sign...I'm still doubtful.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Outside of the main theme, I only really remember The King's Arrival... and that's probably because it's used for the blu-ray menus.

If the ratings stay consistent, I think it's worth the investment for HBO to support the rising costs. The potential income from merchandise based on the TV Series could be huge for a few years after the series is done.

I was in an Indigo book store today and now I really want a Baratheon bear mug.

apana

I agree, the music was often an afterthought in season 1; the biggest exception being the end of the finale, which really hit on all cylinders for me. Listening to the OST afterwards, I could appreciate what was there a bit more, but I still wasn't exactly wowed.

Then again, aside from when they're in some large battle, this isn't the type of show that really needs a sweeping score very often. But you won't see me complaining if they step it up.

edit: Sunday is so close I can taste it.

I definitely liked it but looking back there were weak moments no doubt and needed a lot more variety. The opening, King's Arrival, You'll Be Queen One Day, Vaes Dothrak, Golden Crown, and a few other great tracks.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Renly and Loras were gay?! WHAT? How did I not pick up on that...wow. I literally never once suspected that. I feel like an idiot right now. Holy shit.

Oh my god.

Renly and Loras were gay?! WHAT? How did I not pick up on that...wow. I literally never once suspected that. I feel like an idiot right now. Holy shit.

Oh my god.

I could see missing that reading the books, but if you've watched the show I think that would be impossible to miss.

The way TV works today I think it's foolish to assume we'll get anything more than a third or fourth season.

Well as HBO has stated numerous times, it's not TV. At this point in time (right now) there's no reason to assume it won't go on until the end. Of course that could change once Sunday's numbers are in, but the current signs point to things being alright and outside a catastrophic drop in viewers the show should go on.

Of course with later books and the growing number of locations would increase the budgets, but that can be saved by trimming the fat of the story and consolidating the locations.

3N16MA

Banned

Oh my god.

It was obvious they were gay after the shaving scene or when Petyr heavily hints at it when he bets Renly during the joust.

EDIT: Also GoT is HBO's second biggest hit behind True Blood which is entering it's 5th season and will most likely be around for a 6th. It is guaranteed to grow this season and I doubt it will only go 3 or 4 seasons.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I could see missing that reading the books, but if you've watched the show I think that would be impossible to miss.

It was obvious they were gay after the shaving scene or when Petyr heavily hints at it when he bets Renly during the joust.

I haven't seen the show yet; just read the books. I feel a little bit better about that, though I'm still surprised that I didn't realize it when reading through the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom