• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
zMlsC.gif

Yeah that guy looks like he just fought a few hundred men.

pulga

Banned
Yeah that guy looks like he just fought a few hundred men.

That's something thats been bugging me about Arya all season long. She's got a fantastic short hair cut! She looks like someone who does her hair everyday.

Then again they completely botched Arya so no surprise there.

Socreges

Banned
[Sos]
Arya is going to suffer plenty over the next two seasons. I personally don't mind that they used her for a few episodes to give more time to Tywin. Keep in mind that the alternative doesn't really make for good television. We would see her suffering but it would be repetitive and hardly do much for other characters/storylines.

frequency

Does anyone else really enjoy show Stannis? Something about the way he carries himself. Such a no fucks given/give me what I'm due attitude.

I love show-Stannis. I've been saying in this thread how the show version of him has been winning me over the last few weeks. I really enjoy him. I didn't in the books.

He won me in Blackwater. BAMF status.

Part of me still will always hate Stannis for murdering his brother though.

Well... Renly was kind of stuck up and annoying. What kind of claim is "I'm going to be king because no one likes you"? And then when Stannis confronts him, all he does is make jokes at his brother and act like he's everything. Stannis offered him a high position and to name him heir until one is born. But Stannis' wife doesn't seem able to give children, which is why he hasn't had one yet.

But no. That's not good enough for Renly. He has to be king even though he has no right to be. Why? Because Loras was all like "you'd be a good king!"

I dislike Renly. I dislike the Tyrells. Even more than the Lannisters (except Joffrey).

Iksenpets

Banned
Does it ever come up who his hand would have been? A weak but charismatic king with a good hand and small council would have been a very good thing.

I always assumed it would be (series)
Mace Tyrell. I figured that was part of the agreement that made the alliance.

Oh you know it would have been Loras.

Loras is Kingsguard, but you can bet he would have given him a hand all the same littlefingersmugrenlymad.gif

I always assumed it would be (series)
Mace Tyrell. I figured that was part of the agreement that made the alliance.

Good call. A weak king with a strong lord as hand and the current small council? Would have done better than Robert at the least.

Lach

So with the Rains of Castamere being prominently featured in last weeks episode you guys think we'll get to see/hear a crowd going "A Bear! A Bear!" at least once next season?

bengraven

HAHA, Isaac respect +1000

Bran Stark (Isaac Hempstead-Wright) - If I were on the Iron Throne and I had to choose a Hand, I would want Tyrion. He seems to have every angle covered. But assuming I can't have a Westerosi character, I would choose Sigmund Freud. He could get to work on Joffrey and Cersei's complex relationship, and I would get Joffrey an electric guitar and lessons from Metallica as he needs to channel his blistering fury into something less psychopathic.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I love show-Stannis. I've been saying in this thread how the show version of him has been winning me over the last few weeks. I really enjoy him. I didn't in the books.

The book easily shows how much of a perpetual-stick-up-the-ass insufferable guy he is. Show-Stannis has shown him as more of the hardline man-of-few-words type.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So with the Rains of Castamere being prominently featured in last weeks episode you guys think we'll get to see/hear a crowd going "A Bear! A Bear!" at least once next season?

I kind of doubt it, and I hope not anyway.

He won me in Blackwater. BAMF status.

Part of me still will always hate Stannis for murdering his brother though.

Renly was warned. Plus his claim to throne was weak.
It was a war, Stannis did what had to be done. That kill wasnt really a murder either, it was preemptive self defence. If assassinating an enemy commander meant winning a battle without a single one of your men dying, you'd do it too.

I mean, Renly was killed as he was suiting up to go out and fight his brother's army, he was a soldier in a theatre of war and was a totally legitimate target.

now the sorcery behind it, I'll agree that was pretty suspect and somewhat underhanded. but the decision to kill Renly? Nope, dont have a single issue with it.

This is slightly off topic but, I have read books 1-3 twice, and both times I've gotten to book 4, I've lost interest about halfway through.

I've never really seen what the reaction to book 5 is. Can someone convince me to power through book 4 to get to 5? Or did book 5 turn out to be a disappointment?

KingGondo

Banned
This is slightly off topic but, I have read books 1-3 twice, and both times I've gotten to book 4, I've lost interest about halfway through.

I've never really seen what the reaction to book 5 is. Can someone convince me to power through book 4 to get to 5? Or did book 5 turn out to be a disappointment?
You have to take Books 4 and 5 as basically one long book. The POVs are split between the books and they actually take place simultaneously.

So if you want to see what happens to (ASOS spoilers)
Tyrion, Jon, and Dany
you have to persevere through Book 4.

I personally enjoyed AFFC/ADWD, but some people hate them with a passion. There are lots of excellent/exciting parts IMO, although there are also admittedly some lulls.

frequency

I remember having a lot of trouble with A Feast for Crows too. I think it was because there were no
Jon or Tyrion
chapters if I remember.

I may speak bitterly about the book because of that. I wait years and years to hear more about my favourite characters and when the book finally comes out, I got nothing.

[Sos]
Arya is going to suffer plenty over the next two seasons. I personally don't mind that they used her for a few episodes to give more time to Tywin. Keep in mind that the alternative doesn't really make for good television. We would see her suffering but it would be repetitive and hardly do much for other characters/storylines.

Just because it would have been repetitive doesn't mean that they had to ignore it completely. Outside of being initially imprisoned at harrenhal, her stay there was otherwise pretty damn easy on the show compared to the book. It really only need one good scene to get the point across. (series)
not that I really am complaining, she does indeed have a lot of shit that goes down from this point on, hopefully it doesn't involve the hound making her a well cooked meal and giving her a bath...

I personally enjoyed AFFC/ADWD, but some people hate them with a passion. There are lots of excellent/exciting parts IMO, although there are also admittedly some lulls.

In regard to Feast, The final 300 or so pages were in my opinion pretty damn good, but getting to that point was tough just because in my opinion, half of the POV characters just weren't that interesting and yet a lot of time is spent on these less interesting POVs (granted they were all interesting towards the end)

gutshot

Stannis is a BAMF in the book too. (Series)
He is all kinds of awesome in The Winds of Winter preview chapter on GRRM's site.

apana

Stannis is an obsessive law and order type, sometimes it makes him seem cool and other times it is annoying. Dany would be the best ruler cause she has a gentle heart and is the mother of dragons.

Speevy

Banned
Stannis is an obsessive law and order type, sometimes it makes him seem cool and other times it is annoying. Dany would be the best ruler cause she has a gentle heart and is the mother of dragons.

She is the mother of dragons?!!

I had no idea.

You should spoiler that.

Dany

Banned
She is the mother of dragons?!!

I had no idea.

You should spoiler that.

She will take whats hers with
FIRE AND BLOOD!!!

Dany is all talk and no game. She speaks how shes mother of dragons, the last targariean, khalessi to the dothraki but never does anything about it.

She will take whats hers with
FIRE AND BLOOD!!!

Dany is all talk and no game. She speaks how shes mother of dragons, the last targariean, khalessi to the dothraki but never does anything about it.

WHEN MY DRAGONS ARE GROWN!!!!!!

If I was those Qarth guys I would have just killed her at the gates for making such an empty threat.

LuchaShaq

Banned
You have to take Books 4 and 5 as basically one long book. The POVs are split between the books and they actually take place simultaneously.

So if you want to see what happens to (ASOS spoilers)
Tyrion, Jon, and Dany
you have to persevere through Book 4.

Since I read all 5 books back to back over the course of a summer I easily saw AFFC and ADWD as one giant book.

That said IF I had waited 5+ years for each book? I'd probably be mad as well.

jett

D-Member
Since I read all 5 books back to back over the course of a summer I easily saw AFFC and ADWD as one giant book.

That said IF I had waited 5+ years for each book? I'd probably be mad as well.

Don't forget, it was actually an 11 year-old wait to find out what happened to some characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom