• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do they do this feature for all the characters? There are a bunch of excellent characters being added for next season.
They've done quite a few of them, but not all. Not sure if they're going to ramp it up this season and try and get to most of the new names, but that'd be a lot of writing for gutshot. :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I AM THE KHALEESI, THE MOTHER OF DRAGONS. WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS.

jett

D-Member
I AM THE KHALEESI, THE MOTHER OF DRAGONS. WHERE ARE MY DRAGONS.

D5vvl.jpg

Dany's arc had a bit of a cheese factor from the very first episode of S1 with the wedding, "savages" etc. It has been significantly increased this season to like Star Trek levels of "weird foreign planet/alien culture" oddness. The actor who plays Jorah Mormont does a great job of sort of adding some...class or a core to the scenes imo, can't really put my thumb on it. It's the dynamic you often see in bad horror or sci fi films that have a dignified British actor chewing dialogue and making the atmosphere seem better imo (like Donald Pleasence in the Halloween sequels).

At the start of the season I really disagreed with Elio Garcia's argument that creating scenes for popular characters who don't do much in the novel (Robb, Dany) was a problem. In hindsight he was pretty much right. While I do believe scenes could have been done, what we ultimately got was so sloppy. From Dany's repetitive arc to Robb going from badass war leader to 16 year old boy....bleh; it just feels like both characters are in giant holding patterns.

Another thing about Qarth: it's apparently the greatest city ever, yet you never really see why. Dany attends a dinner party, walks around a rich dude's house...that's about it. I suppose they didn't want to show too much since the location is the same as King's Landing.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!

Well I wish I could give a proper response, but I'm not at those parts you spoilered.

So I'll just adress some points. Yes I agree as of this point she would be a terrible leader. No her upbringing does not justify her actions. I was just pointing out why she is the way she is. Also yes she is crazy and out of touch with reality, she fell in love with her raper. She didn't flinch when her (granted not so great) brother died. She tossed herself into a blazing fire and came out unscathed. So yes, she's obviously not all there and has delusions of grandeur.

She wants to bring (another) war to Westeros because she was (again) taught by her brother that those people are evil. She actually thinks she would be liberating Westeros of those people and bringing peace. She feels she deserves these things because again, blood right. She feels she already owns the throne, she only needs to find a way to sit on it and those who deny her that right are her enemies.

The Targaryen blood line is crazy, I wholeheartedly agree.

I don't know if she will change to the degree you'd like her to, but I feel she will change by the end of it.

For me, I haven't really found her chapters annoying so much as I did with Catelyn and Bran. As for this thread, I'm under the impression people are getting annoyed by her repetition this season. I can't blame them.

Anyway, your difference of opinion is always welcome especially given the life span of these threads and I'll have to hurry and catch up to those spots you've spoiled before I can share my thoughts on them.
It's up to you - I understand if you don't have the time or interest. I was looking for a better version of Stannis' "thousands" and that look before he gets into the boat, maybe Cersei forcing Sansa to drink, and some Bronn action. No worries if you don't have time.
I'll do it. :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Dany's arc had a bit of a cheese factor from the very first episode of S1 with the wedding, "savages" etc. It has been significantly increased this season to like Star Trek levels of "weird foreign planet/alien culture" oddness. The actor who plays Jorah Mormont does a great job of sort of adding some...class or a core to the scenes imo, can't really put my thumb on it. It's the dynamic you often see in bad horror or sci fi films that have a dignified British actor chewing dialogue and making the atmosphere seem better imo (like Donald Pleasence in the Halloween sequels).
I think it's just because his character gives a connection to the viewer between her and the rest of Westeros. Without him her scenes would feel even more disconnected from the rest of the show.

Solo

I loved Clarke in S1 - Dany had lots to do, and she was good. But her storyline went nowhere in S2, and Clarke had nothing to do but yell like a petulant child. The really sad thing here is that without SIGNIFICANT additions to her storyline, shes not going to fare any better in S3, S4, S5, etc......

GRRM needs to get her ass to Westeros ASAP.

Dany

Banned
Dany had less to do in the books and even though they spiced her story up with the stealing of hte dragons...she is sorta running in place.

I love Jorah Mormont, he plays the book character perfectly and he does a fantastic job in towing between adviser and distant admirer for Dany.

frequency

I loved Clarke in S1 - Dany had lots to do, and she was good. But her storyline went nowhere in S2, and Clarke had nothing to do but yell like a petulant child. The really sad thing here is that without SIGNIFICANT additions to her storyline, shes not going to fair any better in S3, S4, S5, etc......

I think she'll gain a lot of fans for the [Storm?]
slave stuff
. Although I can see a lot of people feeling it's an even more detached story arc from the rest of... everything. I certainly did.

Speevy

Banned
Come to the House of the Undying. You should come to the House of the Undying. Serious, just come to the fucking House of the Undying already.

I wonder if being king of Qarth makes the House of the Undying a franchise, so he can open up new locations throughout Qarth and eventually elsewhere in Westeros.

One does not get to richest man in Qarth without stealing a few dragons.

I loved Clarke in S1 - Dany had lots to do, and she was good. But her storyline went nowhere in S2, and Clarke had nothing to do but yell like a petulant child. The really sad thing here is that without SIGNIFICANT additions to her storyline, shes not going to fare any better in S3, S4, S5, etc......

They should start introducing some of the politics over there in earlier. Its all kind of thrown at you in the recent books a bit quickly

apana

Dany had less to do in the books and even though they spiced her story up with the stealing of hte dragons...she is sorta running in place.

I love Jorah Mormont, he plays the book character perfectly and he does a fantastic job in towing between adviser and distant admirer for Dany.

Iain Glen (Jorah) has been like Charles Dance (Tywin) in that respect, they have done both an accurate portrayal and added new weight to their characters through their fantastic performances. They also both have an incredible screen presence. The supporting cast has been incredible for this show.

gdt

I'm not sure that's true. Series

I loved her stories in the rest of the books.

SOS and ADWD of course. She'll come back strong the next two seasons, at the very least.

ADWD spoilers
I'm assuming that Feast and Dance will be spliced together timeline wise for 2 or 3 seasons, but besides that, Dance is very heavy on the politics of that side of Dany and her city. I really enjoyed it, but it might be quite difficult for viewers to follow two separate political stories.

And Dance has Dragons son. Big ones.

I love Dany.

Folks, please don't confirm who's alive in which books. If you're going to talk about events deep into the books, use a [series] tag. I know it's a hassle, and your efforts are appreciated. Full rules and further explanation are in the OP. Thank you.

The Targaryens are conquerors. From what I understand, they ruled for so long purely because of the power the dragons gave them. Their house got weaker the more separated they were from the dragons and it eventually led to Aerys being overthrown. They're paranoid and see themselves as above everyone else (hence the incest - must keep a pure bloodline!). That entire house is crazy and bred to rule with fear.

The nice thing that I love about the Dunk and Egg novellas is that you're able to see some of the other Targaryens from ~100 years before Game of Thrones, and while some were crazy bastards like Viserys, there were some pretty cool, more honorable Targaryens too.

Another thing about Qarth: it's apparently the greatest city ever, yet you never really see why. Dany attends a dinner party, walks around a rich dude's house...that's about it. I suppose they didn't want to show too much since the location is the same as King's Landing.
Minor quibble with King's Landing is that I always pictured it not as desert like or brown as it is on the show but a bit more "green." Then places like Qarth in Essos would be more desert like or obviously Dorne. That seems somewhat problematic for the show when they have to visually differentiate the locales.

But the show really skimps away from extended city type sequences or any external scenes within the big cities. Which is a shame for a place like Qarth, since so much of Dany's arc in the book in Qarth is really a lot of world building with vivid descriptions of the city and so forth, with her out and about. Budget issues, obviously but still a bit disappointing after you get a glimpse of the streets of Qarth when they first open the gates and thats about it.

Speevy

Banned
That's what I was saying before.

It didn't occur to me until several episodes in, but there are almost no scenes in which a character does something other than

1) Fight
2) Die
3) Have sex
4) Prepare to fight/die

Even the children are engaged in nothing but violent games. Sure, characters are happy, but only at the expense of others.

Does no one in Westeros just play music or have a good time without being threatened at swordpoint?

I'm guessing this will be the season's final scene, as it was with S1, will feature Dany and dragons.

Hmmmm... ACOK/ASOS
I'm guessing that, based on the last track of the soundtrack, it'll be the three horn blasts and the Others/Wights getting ready to attack the Fist of the First Men.

But there likely will be a shot of Dany having wreaked the House of the Undying with her dragons and maybe her sailing out of Qarth with her dragons flying alongside the ship.

Aselith

It didn't occur to me until several episodes in, but there are almost no scenes in which a character does something other than

1) Fight
2) Die
3) Have sex
4) Prepare to fight/die

Even the children are engaged in nothing but violent games. Sure, characters are happy, but only at the expense of others.

Does no one in Westeros just play music or have a good time without being threatened at swordpoint?

Well, I mean they are at war.

Seguin

Banned
I'm guessing this will be the season's final scene, as it was with S1, will feature Dany and dragons.

Hopefully the warlocks cast a spell on them to grow fast and then Drogon eats her so we don't have to put up with her crap anymore

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

1) Fight
2) Die
3) Have sex
4) Prepare to fight/die

You're seeing westerosi politics/power plays. Not Rolland Rivers the farmer, family and fun. The show focuses on the drama surrounding the iron throne/the wall. It doesn't focus in on Bran's board games.

Speevy

Banned
I totally get that the power struggle is the subject of the show.

The problem is that when you don't show any kind of daily living or city life, you start to wonder what these characters are fighting for.

As I was asking before (and no one answered me), how would Westeros benefit from the rule of King Robb?

I saw some starving people throwing crap at Joffrey. Spend a few moments with that. Where do they live? Let me get to know one or two of them.

There are plenty of characters in Westeros, but almost zero personality to the place itself.

Solo

I don't want to see the Starks playing water polo on the weekends. I don't want to see the Lannisters have a family BBQ.

No, what I want to know is who is the richest man in Quarth?

There you go, Corny, ripe for the picking.........

Speevy

Banned
No, no water polo or family barbecue.

Rome is a series which is almost entirely about the power struggle in Rome. As a matter of fact, that is how it is described. "A struggle between the common people and the nobility. Two soldiers, one who would make himself king."

There are scenes of characters sleeping, eating, working, walking, praying, playing the harp, showering, singing, picnicking, and otherwise doing things people do.

You see the seeds of war being sown within the palace, but you also see how it affects the people.

People are starving. Ooh look, a character who is starving. Jews are being treated badly. Ooh look, a Jew who has been treated badly.

It's really not difficult to work these things into a show, especially when the source material probably describes everything about these places and their inhabitants in tremendous detail.

Solo

Shouldn't we soon be hearing some casting news? Based on their schedule for shooting S2, they will start shooting the next season in just under 2 months. They would need to have all their ducks in a row within the next couple of weeks in order to be ready for that.

frequency

There were some scenes on the Wall of people just kind of... hanging out. Preparing food, having boy talks, shoveling, etc. I feel the story is way better paced and more balanced in the north. Actually... everything in the north is better in every way.

As for the stuff in the south, there were scenes in season 1. Season 2 is kind of all about the war. So I guess it makes sense to focus on that when you have less than ten hours to work with.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It's really not difficult to work these things into a show, especially when the source material probably describes everything about these places and their inhabitants in tremendous detail.
And Arya's arc in ACoK does show this wonderfully. Too bad they cut all of that out.

Shouldn't we soon be hearing some casting news? Based on their schedule for shooting S2, they will start shooting the next season in just under 2 months. They would need to have all their ducks in a row within the next couple of weeks in order to be ready for that.
They're doing auditions now, but they might wait a while after the finale to release info. Looking through WiC for S2 news, they dropped the first casting news in very early July, and some of the Iceland stuff didn't come in until November. Most of it was announced in late July and throughout August.

KingK

I'm a little late to the discussion here, but I agree that TV Stannis is doing a good job so far. I'm not sure if it's the way he's portrayed on screen, or simply that I've read the books an know what happens, but I like Stannis on the show right now more than I did in the books at this point. I hated Stannis for the longest time because of him having Renly killed (I really liked Renly), but he really won me over in the books (series spoilers)
all throughout A Dance with Dragons and the preview chapter for Winds. He's probably my favorite "King" now in the novels.

gutshot

They've done quite a few of them, but not all. Not sure if they're going to ramp it up this season and try and get to most of the new names, but that'd be a lot of writing for gutshot. :p

So far for season three I've done Mance, Ramsay and now Edmure. I'll hopefully get to most of the other prominent characters, like Beric, Olenna, and the Reeds. Some of the secondary ones like Thoros or Tormund probably aren't worth doing a post on since it will likely go to some unknown.

apana

So far for season three I've done Mance, Ramsay and now Edmure. I'll hopefully get to most of the other prominent characters, like Beric, Olenna, and the Reeds. Some of the secondary ones like Thoros or Tormund probably aren't worth doing a post on since it will likely go to some unknown.

So you write them? Who are you considering so far for the Reeds and Daario?

gutshot

So you write them? Who are you considering so far for the Reeds and Daario?

Yeah, although I just take some of the popular suggestions for each role. Sometimes I will add my own choice, if it is someone I think is particularly a good candidate or likely to be cast, but usually I just go with the most popular names that others have come up with.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

meijiko

I found this picture in season 1's thread on neogaf.

game-of-thrones-bran-and-arya1.jpg

Maybe I should rewatch the first episode, I don't remember Arya looking that young.

That was likely from the shooting of the pilot. I've watched episode one twice recently (trying to get people hooked), and she doesn't look that young in any of her scenes. I'm thinking they didn't keep hers and reshot them all because she grew so much. There's an original pilot scene left in where Sansa looks really young, though. It's the scene where she was talking to Cersei during the feast. The commentary said she grew like three inches before they filmed the other episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom