• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.abload.de/img/arm7lvi.gif[IMG]

lol wtf is she doing[/QUOTE]From the previous page:[quote="Cornballer, post: 38362367"]- Via WiC.net and NY Magazine: [url=http://www.vulture.com/2012/05/arya-stark-swallows-raw-cinnamon.html]Watch Maisie Williams (Arya Stark From Game of Thrones) Swallow a Ton of Raw Cinnamon[/url]

Yup, getting towards that part of the week where the GoT news is getting a little thin.[/QUOTE]

Solo

arm7lvi.gif

lol wtf is she doing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_challenge

gdt

That reminds me of the 6 saltine cracker challenge. I did it like last week, couldn't finish the last two in time :( (took them in two at a time).

frequency

Stannis is an obsessive law and order type, sometimes it makes him seem cool and other times it is annoying. Dany would be the best ruler cause she has a gentle heart and is the mother of dragons.

I really don't see what's so gentle hearted about Dany.
There is absolutely nothing about her character that tells me she would make a "best ruler". I would say there is nothing about her character that tells me she would make a good anything.

"Give me what I want! If I don't get it (it totally belongs to me by the way), then when my dragons grow up, I'll totally burn you!"
What a gentle and kind-hearted woman she is.

Forget which book:
Until she frees those slaves at least
. But the show hasn't gotten anywhere near that. All she does is whine and act like she deserves everything. Every time I hear "Mother of Dragons", I want to hit something.
They should have had her accept the proposal from "the richest man in Qarth". And then had her stay there and stop showing her. Cut her from the TV show. These repetitive and annoying characters belong together.

gdt

Fuck in my day we'd pretty much actually choke each other to the point of passing out. Stupid kids.

We actually did that in middle school.

Hold your breath, stand up against the wall, and have someone push as hard as they can on your chest. You'll pass out, fast.

We stopped because one of our friends started shaking when he passed out, and hit his head pretty hard on something and started bleeding.

Fuuuuuuuck we were dumb.

Hold your breath, stand up against the wall, and have someone push as hard as they can on your chest. You'll pass out, fast.

We stopped because one of our friends started shaking when he passed out, and hit his head pretty hard on something and started bleeding.

Fuuuuuuuck we were dumb.

Yeah that was about my experience.

UraMallas

Fuuuuuuuck we were dumb.

We did that too but when someone hit their head hard we started having spotters on both sides. Can't believe how stupid I was, that shit is dangerous. We didn't push on the chest we'd push on both sides of the person's neck. Shit was stupid.

ZeroRay

We did that too but when someone hit their head hard we started having spotters on both sides. Can't believe how stupid I was, that shit is dangerous. We didn't push on the chest we'd push on both sides of the person's neck. Shit was stupid.

Heh. We had one where we twisted each others nipples until someone capitulated. It was called "chowder". Usually had someone yell chowder rhythmically during each turn.

I really don't see what's so gentle hearted about Dany.
There is absolutely nothing about her character that tells me she would make a "best ruler". I would say there is nothing about her character that tells me she would make a good anything.

"Give me what I want! If I don't get it (it totally belongs to me by the way), then when my dragons grow up, I'll totally burn you!"
What a gentle and kind-hearted woman she is.

Forget which book:
Until she frees those slaves at least
. But the show hasn't gotten anywhere near that. All she does is whine and act like she deserves everything. Every time I hear "Mother of Dragons", I want to hit something.
They should have had her accept the proposal from "the richest man in Qarth". And then had her stay there and stop showing her. Cut her from the TV show. These repetitive and annoying characters belong together.

Dany does not have a gentle heart, that's obvious in SoS. She's a hard ass, just like Stannis. (SoS spoiler)
The taking of Mereen was no gentle affair, she has 160 something slavers nailed to a stake and disemboweled. (to be fair, those slavers had it coming)

But she's alright. By rights, she could have had Mormont's head for his treachery, but she lets him go unscathed.

She's fair and principled, for the most part. With a good Hand and a wise council, I think she'd be perfectly fine for Westeros. Certainly better than Robert Baratheon was.
And of course she has a sense of entitlement about her, how could she be a contender for the Iron Throne and not believe she had every right to sit on it? If you hatched and reared three dragons out of a blazing inferno, I'm sure you too would think the world owed you something. I know I would.

frequency

But Robert (and even Joffrey) can't do that much damage. Even if they're terrible Kings, they can't just go doing whatever they want whenever they want. If Dany is unhappy with you, then we'll get another Harrenhall.

It would be a kingdom built on fear. As bad and unstable as it is, I would rather be in a kingdom built on shaky alliances. If I do something wrong, I could burn bridges with the other major houses. Under Dany's rule, if I do something wrong, my house gets to be cooked alive. She has shown herself to be unstable and crazy and threatening people with dragon-fire seems to be taken rather lightly for her. She's every bit the Targaryen Viserys was and is well on her way to becoming another Aerys - but with actual dragons.

Oh and I wasn't talking about her right to the throne. I just mean in general how she talks to people trying to get ships or entry into Qarth or how she treats Jorah.

But I might be biased. I dislike her quite a bit.

But Robert (and even Joffrey) can't do that much damage. Even if they're terrible Kings, they can't just go doing whatever they want whenever they want.
If Dany is unhappy with you, then we'll get another Harrenhall.

Viserys would have had
Astapor and Mereen razed to the ground ,Jorah Mormont burned alive. The Unsullied would never have been freed, the slaves from both cities would have been sold to the highest bidder, and the old men, women and children from Drogo's old hoarde would have been left to rot and die
she's not Viserys and she's not her father's daughter. Those two never had any pity or mercy for the weak.
But if your point is that as of right now, as far the show goes, she hasnt demonstrated she'd be an able ruler, then yeah, I agree.

frequency

Viserys would have had
Astapor and Mereen razed to the ground ,Jorah Mormont burned alive. The Unsullied would never have been freed, the slaves would have been sold to the highest bidder, old men, women and children from Drogo's old hoarde would have been left to rot and die
she's not Viserys and she's not her father's daughter. Those two never had any pity or mercy for the weak.

I don't remember enough about Viserys, but I didn't think he was that bad? He just wanted the throne and was willing to step on people to do it. Aerys started out a pretty good king. But he went crazy. Dany is already crazy. With dragons.

EDIT: On your edit, yes I speak mainly from the show. I read the books many many many years ago and don't remember much.

Right now, I would say Stannis would not only make the best leader, but actually be able to bring peace to Westeros. Dany would make the worst.

Sorry if I'm sounding pushy or argumentative. Dany discussion brings out a bad part of me. I don't know why my dislike is as strong as it is. I should take a breath.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
She will take whats hers with
FIRE AND BLOOD!!!

Dany is all talk and no game. She speaks how shes mother of dragons, the last targariean, khalessi to the dothraki but never does anything about it.

Her Khalasar is pretty lame too. There's like one buff guy, Jorah Mormont and a crew of hot chicks who were inexplicably abandoned by the rest of Khal Drogo's rapesquad.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
But Robert (and even Joffrey) can't do that much damage. Even if they're terrible Kings, they can't just go doing whatever they want whenever they want. If Dany is unhappy with you, then we'll get another Harrenhall.

It would be a kingdom built on fear. As bad and unstable as it is, I would rather be in a kingdom built on shaky alliances. If I do something wrong, I could burn bridges with the other major houses. Under Dany's rule, if I do something wrong, my house gets to be cooked alive. She has shown herself to be unstable and crazy and threatening people with dragon-fire seems to be taken rather lightly for her. She's every bit the Targaryen Viserys was and is well on her way to becoming another Aerys - but with actual dragons.

Oh and I wasn't talking about her right to the throne. I just mean in general how she talks to people trying to get ships or entry into Qarth or how she treats Jorah.

But I might be biased. I dislike her quite a bit.
Largely I disagree, if anything all those threats are fronts. She was the one saving women from being raped by Drogo's khalasar after all. Before being tossed into the Dothraki lifestyle she had lived a life of luxury. All sorts of things were given to her and she was constantly told by her brother Viserys that they deserved all of those things and the seven kingdoms because it was their blood right.

She's been told since young about the greatness of her family with Viserys filling her head with all the stories about the dragons and Aegon and Aerys. So does she have pride in herself, her house and her dragons? Of course she does! As a result of this she feels that she is in the right because her family ruled for such a long period. So she feels as though people should rally behind her. So when they don't rally behind her she only knows how to respond with threats because she simply doesn't know better.

That said I don't think she would rule with fear, she is not Cersei and she is no Joffrey. But she is young, naive and inexperienced.

But I might be biased. I like her quite a bit. :b
Hey I'm still supportive. I feel like I'm the only person who has enjoyed Emila Clarke's performance this season.
Not her fault the scriptwriters made her repetitive. She's done great.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Her Khalasar is pretty lame too. There's like one buff guy, Jorah Mormont and a crew of hot chicks who were inexplicably abandoned by the rest of Khal Drogo's rapesquad.

I laughed way too hard at that. I just pictured them dressed like fly '90s dudes for some reason.

Nlroh

I love Daenerys, but her story this season is pretty boring. At least we know next year (SoS)
she will start taking what is hers with fire and blood.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I love Daenerys, but her story this season is pretty boring. At least we know next year (SoS)
she will start taking what is hers with fire and blood.
Speaking of, I'm only 100 pages into that. Need to start digging in.

Lakitu

st5fu
Emilia Clarke has done a fine job, she's already demonstrated at how good of an actress she is in Season 1. I know it's a cliche, but she really hasn't had much to go on this season.

If the scriptwriter writes 'where are my dragons?' or 'I am the Khaleesi', then it's the scriptwriter's fault. Would you expect her to deliver those lines in a dull monotone voice?

Meh, she acts like Emma Watson - compensating for not being able to act by yelling and over-dramatizing every other line. I thought she was fine in S1 but has taken a major dive this season. I think a lot is due to bad writing and handling of her arc but the actor has to bear some blame too

I was under the impression people had it all covered, but I can do my own pass over the episode if you want.
It's up to you - I understand if you don't have the time or interest. I was looking for a better version of Stannis' "thousands" and that look before he gets into the boat, maybe Cersei forcing Sansa to drink, and some Bronn action. No worries if you don't have time.

agrajag

Banned
Meh, she acts like Emma Watson - compensating for not being able to act by yelling and over-dramatizing every other line. I thought she was fine in S1 but has taken a major dive this season. I think a lot is due to bad writing and handling of her arc but the actor has to bear some blame too

+1

Really cringeworthy scenes with Dany this season. I mean, I wasn't crazy about the character in the book, but the TV version comes off about ten times worse.

Man, word for word what I thought. She reminded me a lot of Emma Watson in the middle Harry Potter movies this season. Watson toned it down a bit in Deathly Hallows.

frequency

Largely I disagree, if anything all those threats are fronts. She was the one saving women from being raped by Drogo's khalasar after all. Before being tossed into the Dothraki lifestyle she had lived a life of luxury. All sorts of things were given to her and she was constantly told by her brother Viserys that they deserved all of those things and the seven kingdoms because it was their blood right.

She's been told since young about the greatness of her family with Viserys filling her head with all the stories about the dragons and Aegon and Aerys. So does she have pride in herself, her house and her dragons? Of course she does! As a result of this she feels that she is in the right because her family ruled for such a long period. So she feels as though people should rally behind her. So when they don't rally behind her she only knows how to respond with threats because she simply doesn't know better.

That said I don't think she would rule with fear, she is not Cersei and she is no Joffrey. But she is young, naive and inexperienced.

But I might be biased. I like her quite a bit. :b

Totally biased. You're just out of your mind and smitten with her like Jorah. You're both just seeing what you want to see!

Having pride in your house and your name and your dragons is one thing. Threatening everyone who disagrees is something else. I can accept being young, naive, and inexperienced. But that also means she would be a terrible leader, at least as she is now. Her upbringing doesn't justify her actions. I'm not sure what that has to do with her ability to rule. Actually, I would say it's worse. It makes it so she's both crazy and out of touch with reality.

I don't see Dany's ambitions as just. She wants to bring (another) war to Westeros and revenge on the Baratheon/Starks/every other rebel house. She's not looking to bring peace to Westeros and its people.

All I know about her is that she has dragons (which she has no problem threatening people with) and feels she deserves all sorts of things that she hasn't earned. I don't think we can say her threats are empty. She is not beyond cruelty [book spoilers - forget which one, but not in the show yet]
as we see with the slavers
. There has been no indication that she wouldn't abuse the dragons' power.

The Targaryens are conquerors. From what I understand, they ruled for so long purely because of the power the dragons gave them. Their house got weaker the more separated they were from the dragons and it eventually led to Aerys being overthrown. They're paranoid and see themselves as above everyone else (hence the incest - must keep a pure bloodline!). That entire house is crazy and bred to rule with fear.

Dany could end up being different since she's not given the same things past Targaryens were. She has to struggle with regular people and be treated as lesser. So she could change. But as of the show and what I remember from the books, all signs point to her becoming just another Targaryen.

Of course, the irony in my dislike of the Targaryens is that [series speculation spoiler]
Jon is probably half and he's my favourite character :(

Also I'm pretty sure, that [general stuff, not really a spoiler, but just in case]
Dany will end up being the "heroine" of the story anyway. What better way to fight off an invading army of Others than with fire-breathing dragons?

Truthfully though, I'm glad someone is able to enjoy Dany. I think a lot of people actually do. I don't know why I feel about her the way that I do. I justify a lot of it with just pure speculation and stuff I probably made up myself in my mind. I think it's just that there's lingering bitterness that her chapters kept interrupting stuff I was actually interested in. They always felt so out of place. The poor handling of her in the show just made it that much worse.

I don't really care that much. But I feel like I need to get the most out of my time in this thread before the season is over and it goes dormant. This has been my main GAF thread for a while. Without it I'm going to be stuck talking about video games I don't care for, gruesome news stories I can't read, and social media chain letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom