• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I haven't seen the show yet; just read the books. I feel a little bit better about that, though I'm still surprised that I didn't realize it when reading through the books.
This is how obvious they made it in the show in case you're curious: NSFW, kind of (the fake bj sounds were hilariously over the top).

KingK

So, can Maisie Williams win an Emmy this year? Can child actors even win them? I thought she was one of the best actresses in the first season and I expect even greater performances from her this time around.

I would hope so. She's a great Arya so far, and Arya's arc in Clash of Kings is my favorite in the book (and what pushed Arya into my number one favorite character spot).

Just started watching the first season this week and finished last night.
Loved it glad I finally got around to watching it.

Excited for season 2, called and ordered HBO this morning.

Pollux

Yeah, I found it kind of underwhelming. Not horrible though.

I agree, it wasn't horrible, but this was the first time I've re-watched episode 1, and I think I just kept re-imagining it in my head like I always thought he would have delivered it...and it was just different.

He just says it, and then instantly cuts to black. I just wish he had emphasized certain words more or something. I don't even really know how I would improve it, just that the way he delivered it, while good, was underwhelming since I had built up that scene for years and it was different than what I pictured.

Oh well. Season 2 is going to be mind blowing awesome.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I'm watching the last ep of S1 now. I just love Tyrion. "I have a better chance of drinking wine from that glass than we do of getting Rob Stark to sue for peace. Why should he? He's winning."

Plus that moment of recognition on his face when Tywin finally says, "You're my son." in response to the question about why he's going to serve as hand of the king.

Can't wait for S2

So I recently watched the entire first season and loved it. Problem is I'm the type that likes to wait for the dvd/bd release and watch them all in one marathon weekend. This means I will be on a black out for season 2.

I am very interested in reading the books while I wait, but when I went to amazon it seems the reviews for the books get worse. So I'm asking true fans of the books; do they really get shitty as the story goes on or is there just a rabid fan base that thinks they could write a better story. Either way I'm ordering the first two books. Just want a honest opinion on the latter books. No spoilers please.

q_q

So I recently watched the entire first season and loved it. Problem is I'm the type that likes to wait for the dvd/bd release and watch them all in one marathon weekend. This means I will be on a black out for season 2.

I am very interested in reading the books while I wait, but when I went to amazon it seems the reviews for the books get worse. So I'm asking true fans of the books; do they really get shitty as the story goes on or is there just a rabid fan base that thinks they could write a better story. Either way I'm ordering the first two books. Just want a honest opinion on the latter books. No spoilers please.

The first three books are some of the best of the genre I've ever read. After that, it doesn't get bad per se. It just slows the pace down a lot. Things that you might hear of in passing in the first three books get entire story arcs devoted to them in the last two. It certainly isn't bad, and if you love the characters and the world you'll still enjoy them. It's just that the first three books have a lot better pacing and a lot better story arcs than the last two that have come out. The way the plot seems to be heading though, the next book should return to form.

The first three books are some of the best of the genre I've ever read. After that, it doesn't get bad per se. It just slows the pace down a lot. Things that you might hear of in passing in the first three books get entire story arcs devoted to them in the last two. It certainly isn't bad, and if you love the characters and the world you'll still enjoy them. It's just that the first three books have a lot better pacing and a lot better story arcs than the last two that have come out. The way the plot seems to be heading though, the next book should return to form.

Awesome thanks a lot. I think I'll just get them all. I figure if I could make it through the entire Dark Tower series and enjoy them I'll really enjoy this. :)

vesp

First 3 are pretty fantastic, I hate the fourth, and generally liked the fifth (though some of the carry over I hated from the fourth still made me like it quit a bit less than the first 3).

None of them are horrid, but depending on what you like about the series, it does start drifting away from what it started as in various ways.

ZeroRay

The quality of the prose actually peaks in the latest two books.

Plot threads may or may not be considered meandering depending on how the next book plays out.

The first 3 books are top notch. Really great. The 4th and 5th aren't bad by any means, they're still quite good but the pacing goes to hell IMO. So they're a bit bloated but still really good and they seem to set up some nice events going forward. I think some people rag on the 4th and 5th in part due to how long it took George RR Martin to write them too.

That and a lot of the Amazon reviews I've read are angry fans who complain how George RR Martin is a fat, lazy old man and will die before he can finish the books and therefore nobody should even start reading them.

I'd recommend getting the 4 book box set as its a pretty good deal, unless you don't want the smaller paperbacks.

WiC posted some reviews from regular fans who have attended the various premiers for the first two episodes. There are some minor spoilers so watch out, and of course if you haven't seen season 1 don't click ha
http://winteriscoming.net/2012/03/fans-review-the-early-eps-of-season-two/

One fan addresses the issue I and many others brought up: camera work
I’ll end this gushing review with another gripe I had last year, the stale use of the camera. This improved with Alan Taylor in the last episodes of season 1 and it has improved even more this season. Lots of camera-usage and tricks that give you the impression you’re watching a feature film, one particular ‘dream’ scene made all the hairs on my body stand straight. The moving cameras and beautiful cinematography gave the whole just an extra ‘oomph’ I was missing last year.

The quality of the prose actually peaks in the latest two books.

Yeah, Martin really steps his game up with Feast. The prose is world's beyond where it started. For what it's worth, I think Books 4 and 5 are great, but it took me a second read to truly love Feast. The world building in those books is fantastic.

anaron

methodman

Banned
Yeah, Martin really steps his game up with Feast. The prose is world's beyond where it started. For what it's worth, I think Books 4 and 5 are great, but it took me a second read to truly love Feast. The world building in those books is fantastic.

It's crazy how much improvement you can see from his books, book 1 - 5. can't wait for 6, should have a lot of action. (i love the entire series).

SaskBoy

I showed my friend the "Seven Devils" trailer, and she thought it was stupid. I don't think I can be friends with her anymore.

anaron

it's why you can't be friends with women

3u1uV.gif

Puddles

Banned
I showed my friend the "Seven Devils" trailer, and she thought it was stupid. I don't think I can be friends with her anymore.

That was her first exposure to the series?

As good as that trailer is, it's for fans. I don't think I'd pick that for a cold open.

SaskBoy

That was her first exposure to the series?

As good as that trailer is, it's for fans. I don't think I'd pick that for a cold open.

Yes. I suppose you're right, but I think she just has terrible taste. When I left they were just about to start watching Tower Heist.

Moaradin

I am so hyped for season 2. Perfectly timed, too. Spartacus just ended today and now S2 GoT only 2 days after. I need to watch S1 again tomorrow and Sunday before it starts.

KingK

I like to think of the first three books as Act 1, scenes one, two and three, and then book 4 is Act 2, scene 1. The latter half of book 3 is practically non-stop climactic action, and then book 4 and 5 certainly slow down the pace and set things up for the next and final climax of the series, which should take place in the next two books. Book 4 is easily the worst in the series, imo, but it's still a good book that does a lot of great world building and character development. Book 5 is great, and has some of the best chapters and arcs in the entire series, while also having some rather annoying moments and questionable editing decisions. The entire series is the best I've ever read though.

I would rank them as follows:
3>1>5=2>4

Puddles

Banned
I completely agree with KingK's assessment.

A Dance with Dragons is really good, IMO. It just ends before it should, and contains some scenes that weren't really necessary. It sets up The Winds of Winter quite nicely though.

Pkaz01

I think clash is pretty underrated since its kind of like the middle child. But which book you like more depends on who your favorite characters are. The number of chapters per character changes with each book so every book has a different focus. and King K is spot on about book 5. Kind of leaves you with blue balls in a lot of story lines.

I would rank them as 3>2>1>5>4

All series spoilers
I would put 2 and 1 as a tie but thats a cop out so the only reason I prefer 2 is because the focus is on my fave characters arya, tyrion, and robb. Bran, Jon, and Dany take a backseat which I enjoyed. Even do I do like Dany's chapters and Jon's interactions with tyrion. I just don't like the night watch storyline as much as the others.

Book 3 is easily the best not just because of all the crazy shit that goes down but also because the grayscale jumps so much characters like Jaime and the hound become so interesting.

JerkShep

It's 3>1>2>5>4 for me.
light spoilers for the series
ADWD could have been higher, there are some amazing chapters in there, but the editing problems are too big to overlook, especially since they affect the ending. When GRRM will announce that he needs another book after the 7th to complete the saga, basically confirming that the series will never have a proper conclusion, I will blame ADWD for it. To even have a chance of ending the series, GRRM should have written ADWD like another ASOS, the game changer book that connects/end a lot of storylines. Yet what we have is an AFFC with better characters, a book that instead of doing a couple steps forward towards an ending, does three steps backwards.

3 > 1 > 2 > 4 > 5

ADWD has some of the best chapters in the series in terms of writing and context. But the good is surrounded by some terrible story arcs. Especially from two certain characters.

3 > 1 > 2 > 4 > 5

ADWD has some of the best chapters in the series in terms of writing and context. But the good is surrounded by some terrible story arcs. Especially from two certain characters.

Yep. Some chapters could've just been trimmed entirely. Cutting out the friggin' epic climax the book was leading up to is what really hurt it for me, though, but at least it means WoW is gonna start with one hell of a bang.

So excited for this to start again. Its one of those shows me and my girlfriend both love so it's nice to sit and watch together. After the sex scenes between Drogo and Khaleesi in season one my gf got real hot and ever since then she likes it doggystyle real rough. She sometimes screams Drogo's name during sex though and I'm still confused on how I should feel about that.

GoT is going to be huge by the end of this season; hell, most would probably argue it already is.

Show is going nowhere.

About 90% of the people I know between the ages of 18 and 35 are huge fans of GoT. So I would have to agree. I can't remember there ever being a show that everyone around me gets as hyped for as they do for GoT. Even something as excellent as Breaking Bad only gets about half the attention.

Famassu

It's 3>1>2>5>4 for me.
light spoilers for the series
ADWD could have been higher, there are some amazing chapters in there, but the editing problems are too big to overlook, especially since they affect the ending. When GRRM will announce that he needs another book after the 7th to complete the saga, basically confirming that the series will never have a proper conclusion, I will blame ADWD for it. To even have a chance of ending the series, GRRM should have written ADWD like another ASOS, the game changer book that connects/end a lot of storylines. Yet what we have is an AFFC with better characters, a book that instead of doing a couple steps forward towards an ending, does three steps backwards.
There's simply no way ADWD could ever have been the kind of climactic book ASOS is and if you anticipated that it would be, then you were just being dumb. AFFC & ADWD together make what is essentially another A Game of Thrones in how it sets up the upcoming events, introduces a lot of new players and has tons of world building. ASOS was the reward for everything that he had been building up since AGOT. After that kind of game changer book, you simply can't just continue forward with the same kind of pace. You need to take a step back and see the aftermath and start setting up upcoming stuff. AFFC & ADWD are pretty much an epilogue for ASOS as well as a prologue for TWOW and ADOS. It's pretty clear that things will pick up in TWOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom