• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arment

I'll admit that I will be surprised if HBO keep the series going to encompass the entire seven book series (that's if GRRM even decides to stick to seven books).

The bonus, is that GRRM is kinda semi-forced to finish the series in a reasonable time frame rather than spending another five years on book six.

Ahahaha. Every ounce of my being wants this to be true, but I imagine someone trying to rush GRRM and I picture someone trying to yell a boulder up a hill.

Drazgul

Ahahaha. Every ounce of my being wants this to be true, but I imagine someone trying to rush GRRM and I picture someone trying to yell a boulder up a hill.

They could just squeeze the broad strokes out of him and then work out the details with their writing staff.

Arment

I think he even said in an interview that he doesn't want the show to catch up on him.

That would be embarrassing, considering most authors release books on a steady 1 to 2 year schedule.

Stephen King had an erratic Dark Tower schedule, but at least he released other books in between.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That would be embarrassing, considering most authors release books on a steady 1 to 2 year schedule.

Stephen King had an erratic Dark Tower schedule, but at least he released other books in between.
GRRM is busy editing Wild Cards. :/

If (when) the show catches up and they decide to end it on their own with GRRM's notes on how it will end then I'll be skipping the end of the show until after the books are finished.

aceface

They could just squeeze the broad strokes out of him and then work out the details with their writing staff.

They already did this, he told the writing staff how the book ends, the major developments, etc.

Alfie Allen said in a recent interview GRRM told him who Jon snows parents are.

Is that Tywin? He wasn't bad. But none of these people should be nominated. If somebody has to out of this show Alfie for sure.

But we all know they'll be pushing for Dinklage again.

fallout

I hope Emilia gets a nod for Best Mother of Dragons.
I really don't think that the Best Mother of Dragons would have lost her dragons so easily.

That said, I would totally support Xaro Xhoan Daxos getting a nod for The Richest Man in Qarth.

She should walk around during the ceremony yelling WHERE'S MY NOMINATIONS

And then the Weinsteins will offer a nomination if she agrees to sleep with them (for they are the richest men in Hollywood).

And Patrick Swayze can come back to life and be the bald dude, I don't know.

jett

D-Member

Best Mother of Dragons

the-old-gods-and-the-new-06-1920.jpg

Has no Dragons

Nlroh

Allen is the best and he should win (I'm biased, Theon has always been one of my favorite characters). Dinklage was better last season.
From the actress list, Michelle Fairley was amazing and I also liked Sophie Turner, she was specially good in Blackwater.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
A man can dream :(
A man can do more than dream: 'Martin Talks 'Game Of Thrones,' 'The Winds Of Winter'. Attempts to keep his novel releases ahead of hit series'

"I am aware of the TV series moving along behind me like a giant locomotive, and I know I need to lay the track more quickly, perhaps, because the locomotive is soon going to be bearing down on me," he said. "The last thing I want is for the TV series to catch up with me. I've got a considerable head start, but production is moving faster than I can write. I'm hoping that we'll finish the story at about the same time ... we'll see."

A man can do more than dream: 'Martin Talks 'Game Of Thrones,' 'The Winds Of Winter'. Attempts to keep his novel releases ahead of hit series'

"I am aware of the TV series moving along behind me like a giant locomotive, and I know I need to lay the track more quickly, perhaps, because the locomotive is soon going to be bearing down on me," he said. "The last thing I want is for the TV series to catch up with me. I've got a considerable head start, but production is moving faster than I can write. I'm hoping that we'll finish the story at about the same time ... we'll see."

That doesn't seem to be much more than dreaming. GRRM obviously doesn't want the show to catch up/get ahead of him, but how likely is that to produce results?

LM4sure

Banned
Indeed. Allen's honestly the one who gave a good performance this year. Dinklage was on and off throughout the season and the rest of the actors are nothing special.

Boardwalk's supporting cast wipes the floor with these guys.

I agree. None of the actors deserve a nod. No outstanding performances this season. ADWD spoiler:
I can't wait for Allen to play Reek. If he pulls it off he should definitely be in contention for an Emmy.
Although that is what, 6 years from now? Fuuuuuuu....

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm almost done reading the second book. Wow they did a terrible fucking job adapting this book that I'm kind of speechless.

They did a good job with the first season. It could have been better if HBO would have increased the budget.

Did they have the same person writing the second season as the first?

I'm almost done reading the second book. Wow they did a terrible fucking job adapting this book that I'm kind of speechless.

They did a good job with the first season. It could have been better if HBO would have increased the budget.

Yeah, they really fucked up the second book in a lot of places. The key people working on the show were the same, so I'm not really sure what happened.

I made Colicchio's lemon cakes last year because I didn't live near either NY or LA (where HBO was giving them out of a food cart). They were good, but they were more like custards than cakes.

Yeah true. I think the flavor still is better then any other recipe I've tried so far including all of the ones at IATC. If anyone else has a good recipe... I'm more then up for trying it out.

Yeah, they really fucked up the second book in a lot of places. The key people working on the show were the same, so I'm not really sure what happened.

The source material wasn't perfect for an adaptation like AGOT so they changed things to try and make it more interesting on the screen. It didn't work in a lot of cases.

Indeed. Allen's honestly the one who gave a good performance this year. Dinklage was on and off throughout the season and the rest of the actors are nothing special.

Boardwalk's supporting cast wipes the floor with these guys.

Boardwalk was amazing this season. If any show on HBO this season deserves awards, outside of Luck, it's Boardwalk Empire.

Yeah, they really fucked the pooch on this one. They better not fuck up ASOS.

The source material wasn't perfect for an adaptation like AGOT so they changed things to try and make it more interesting on the screen. It didn't work in a lot of cases.

I get this with Dany's storyline. I can see how they might have thought that Dany's arc in Clash wouldn't make for great TV (of course, the replacement stuff was dire). I can't really see how any sane person could have thought the changes made for Arya and Jon were an improvement, though.

LM4sure

Banned
I think everyone has that one figured out by now.

I think that (spoiler??)
Targaryen prince banged Ned's sister. Has the show covered this? I wonder if there should be any flashbacks.

But you think Ned would have told his wife. God, it must have been awkward growing up in the Stark household. Cat thinking her husband fathered a bastard and hating the kid for it. You think Ned would have pulled her aside and said calm the fuck down. He's not actually my child but if word got out that he had Targaryen blood he would have his brains bashed in and his corpse would be laid in from of King Robert for his approval. I think Cat could keep a secret...right??? Ned obviously didn't trust her.

Please remember to spoiler tag and label anything from later books past where we are in the show. This thread is for discussion of the television show. If you want to discuss the books, we have multiple threads for that, and they're listed in the OP. Thank you.

Speevy

Banned
I thought the lady who played Cersei did a much better job this season than she did on the previous one.

I'd even argue she out-acted Peter Dinklage.

bengraven

I thought the lady who played Cersei did a much better job this season than she did on the previous one.

I'd even argue she out-acted Peter Dinklage.

I was much impressed this year after hating every second she was in the series last year.

I seriously believe that after Headey realized it was going to be a hit, she put effort in. She figured it was going to fail, so she just kind of chewed scenery last year. Now she wants a fucking Emmy and thinks she might be able to. And she might.

Where do you find this information? Though that is really friggin' exciting.
- 'Game of Thrones' renewed for third season
The third season is expected to be more or less based on the first half of George R.R. Martin’s A Storm of Swords — the third novel of his “Song of Ice and Fire” series of fantasy best-sellers. Long a fan favorite of the book series, Swords has several dramatic twists and confrontations (so … save the date!). Given the book’s length (the paperback edition is 1,216 pages) and action-packed content, producers plan to break up the novel into two seasons.

I was much impressed this year after hating every second she was in the series last year.

I seriously believe that after Headey realized it was going to be a hit, she put effort in. She figured it was going to fail, so she just kind of chewed scenery last year. Now she wants a fucking Emmy and thinks she might be able to. And she might.
Chewed the scenery? She didn't even do that last year. She was such a dull actress in season 1, it was so painful to watch. She had a couple good scenes (her scene alone with Robert reminiscing is one that comes to mind), but apart from that, it was just sneers and smirks.

She was much, much better in season 2.

MNC

I believe it's one season for part one, and one for part two. So seasons' three & four will be both book three.

The seasons' will still be ten episodes each, it just means there's less filler content (hello ACoK) and they can focus more on the details and sticking to the books.

True enough, thought they would be 10 episodes each, less filler content not so sure, since if they're going to split it, perhaps they'll add alot of extra filler content because book 1 (of they're gonna follow 3-1, 3-2 instead of splitting in the middle) is too small on content D:

(<currently in the progress of reading 3-1>)

MNC

So, in terms of faithfulness. More like aCoK or aGoT? I didn't mind some changes, but I hate how they left out some of the more important characters in season 2, like (aCoK)
Reek and Ramsay Bolton.
. He's pretty fucking important to the plot in 2. And some other minor but important characters.

I like how I'm ahead of the series with the books, and everytime I read something I'm like "How will they do this in the show?" Not to mention that I don't feel superior with knowledge over tv-watchers since it might be different anyway :(

So, in terms of faithfulness. More like aCoK or aGoT? I didn't mind some changes, but I hate how they left out some of the more important characters in season 2, like (aCoK)
Reek and Ramsay Bolton.
. He's pretty fucking important to the plot in 2. And some other minor but important characters.

I like how I'm ahead of the series with the books, and everytime I read something I'm like "How will they do this in the show?" Not to mention that I don't feel superior with knowledge over tv-watchers since it might be different anyway :(

haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom