• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
tumblr_m5nr5qKDlV1r3suz2o1_500.jpg

:lol

Also, this looks awesome.

tumblr_m5me66aZAd1qzpwi0o1_400.jpg

MrMephistoX

True enough, thought they would be 10 episodes each, less filler content not so sure, since if they're going to split it, perhaps they'll add alot of extra filler content because book 1 (of they're gonna follow 3-1, 3-2 instead of splitting in the middle) is too small on content D:

(<currently in the progress of reading 3-1>)

I just hope the turnaround time is better if ASOS is being split into two seasons. Why not just have a 20 episode season starting in the fall with a hiatus till late spring like most network shows?

I just hope the turnaround time is better if ASOS is being split into two seasons. Why not just have a 20 episode season starting in the fall with a hiatus till late spring like most network shows?
Due to production constraints, they can only put together 10 episodes in a calendar year. If you want 20 episodes in a row, then you'd have to wait two years for S3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is season three out yet?

M.D

Is season three out yet?

Yes, I've seen it. It's awesome, man.

I wonder if I'll be able to read all the books before the next season start lol :)
I'm reading only at home, so I imagine it will take me more time than it will to most people (or do most people read at home as well?). I'm only at page 175, and I've been reading since Monday. Even after watching the two seasons, and knowing what's going to happen, I couldn't put the book down last night. I don't even read books on a regular basis so I find that amazing!

Iksenpets

Banned
Yes, I've seen it. It's awesome, man.

I wonder if I'll be able to read all the books before the next season start lol :)
I'm reading only at home, so I imagine it will take me more time than it will to most people (or do most people read at home as well?). I'm only at page 175, and I've been reading since Monday. Even after watching the two seasons, and knowing what's going to happen, I couldn't put the book down last night. I don't even read books on a regular basis so I find that amazing!

I read all five in the gap between seasons one and two. It shouldn't be too hard.

MNC

Book 2 was a bit harder to read because the show kept catching up on me, and I knew what would happen - kind of.

Book 3 is completely fresh and new and I can't wait to pick up the book everytime I have some spare time.

brentech

I read all five in the gap between seasons one and two. It shouldn't be too hard.
Yeah, I started reading GoT towards the end of season 1, and finished AFFC a week after ADWD released. Allowed me to get right into that and was done with it all in early August since I took a little break in the middle of that one.

For those of you who have read all five books - how would you rank them?

A Storm Of Swords (which the next season will be based on)>A Clash Of Kings>A Game Of Thrones>A Dance With Dragons>A Feast For Crows

The last two books are significantly slower than the first three, leading to some folks not liking them. Personally I really liked them both. They're slow burns in many ways, but each has great moments. A lot of the disappointment has to do with how long it took them to be completed, and Martin struggled to write them due to some structural issues you'll learn about later I'm guessing

Magnus

That's my order as well, but you need about 20 more '>' between Feast and Dance to emphasize what a terrible novel ADwD is.

That's the first time I've ever seen someone claim DwD was worse than FFC, never mind *that* much worse. Wow!

I'm in the middle of FFC now, and it is indeed a tougher slog than all three of the previous books.

Speevy

Banned
Having now mulled over this season, I have a question. This question is not limited to show watchers, so if you're a book reader who has some spoiler-tagged insight, don't be shy.

Robb Stark says that he wants Theon Greyjoy alive for what he has done to Winterfell.

Instead, Winterfell is burned to the ground and all of its people are killed. Bran, Rickon, Hodor, and the Wilidling woman escape in broad daylight.

I assume Theon's men either escape or are killed, and Theon is someone's prisoner.

Why is this not immediately an act of betrayal on the part of the guy who sent his bastard to reclaim Winterfell? I would assume Robb doesn't immediately cut off this guy's head, because I've been spoiled on future events.

It should be fairly obvious to anyone who watched the finale that the Greyjoy men lacked the time to do the burning themselves, so are we to believe that a group of men killed everyone without Bran/Rickon/Hodor/Wildling woman noticing, then left the city unwatched long enough for them to escape?

Having now mulled over this season, I have a question. This question is not limited to show watchers, so if you're a book reader who has some spoiler-tagged insight, don't be shy.

Robb Stark says that he wants Theon Greyjoy alive for what he has done to Winterfell.

Instead, Winterfell is burned to the ground and all of its people are killed. Bran, Rickon, Hodor, and the Wilidling woman escape in broad daylight.

I assume Theon's men either escape or are killed, and Theon is someone's prisoner.

Why is this not immediately an act of betrayal on the part of the guy who sent his bastard to reclaim Winterfell? I would assume Robb doesn't immediately cut off this guy's head, because I've been spoiled on future events.

It should be fairly obvious to anyone who watched the finale that the Greyjoy men lacked the time to do the burning themselves, so are we to believe that a group of men killed everyone without Bran/Rickon/Hodor/Wildling woman noticing, then left the city unwatched long enough for them to escape?
You answered your own question using common sense. Why would they continue to watch Winterfell if they thought they killed everyone there.

So if they are splitting book 3 into 2 seasons then I'd assume that they will end season 3 at the [SoS Spoiler]
storm when the red wedding happens and Summer helps Jon escape the wildlings. Assuming those two events happened at the same time.

Magnus

I'm confused by a couple of the premises set up here. In the show, Theon is smacked over the head at the end of his speech by 'his own' men, and dragged away. Then Winterfell is revealed to have been burned and ruined.

I thought the common assumption was that the Ironmen set fire to the place, and took Theon with them, escaping in retreat instead of fighting Bolton's bastard's men?

"It should be fairly obvious to anyone who watched the finale that the Greyjoy men lacked the time to do the burning themselves"

Why? Fire can spread damn quick.

I'm confused by a couple of the premises set up here. In the show, Theon is smacked over the head at the end of his speech by 'his own' men, and dragged away. Then Winterfell is revealed to have been burned and ruined.

I thought the common assumption was that the Ironmen set fire to the place, and took Theon with them, escaping in retreat instead of fighting Bolton's bastard's men?

"It should be fairly obvious to anyone who watched the finale that the Greyjoy men lacked the time to do the burning themselves"

Why? Fire can spread damn quick.

How did a group of like 15 guys escape even if Winterfell is burning. They didn't have access to the secret passages to escape because they drove a spear through Maester Luwin.

Magnus

How did a group of like 15 guys escape even if Winterfell is burning. They didn't have access to the secret passages to escape because they drove a spear through Maester Luwin.

I assume they rode hard and fast. Haha. Honestly, I'm not sure; it wasn't tough to suspend my disbelief there, but now that the question's been posed, I agree with you. I suppose it does call Roose and his boy into question, if indeed the Ironmen all escaped.

CrunchyB

(I'm a book reader)

The show did a poor job explaining stuff, but what happened offscreen is implied.

Winterfell was surrounded by 500 northern men, there is no way for 20 ironmen to torch the castle and escape unscathed afterwards. Besides, why torch the place? They were offered free passage if they surrendered Theon.

But the castle has been torched. So there seems to be a change of plans (da-da-dum!)

Cloudy

Banned
I assume they rode hard and fast. Haha. Honestly, I'm not sure; it wasn't tough to suspend my disbelief there, but now that the question's been posed, I agree with you. I suppose it does call Roose and his boy into question, if indeed the Ironmen all escaped.

Book 2/3 spoilers

IIRC Roose Bolton's bastard torched the place. I'm still on book 4 but they haven't said whether Theon was killed there or not. His last chapter has him fading to black but it didn't specifically say he was dead

So if they are splitting book 3 into 2 seasons then I'd assume that they will end season 3 at the [SoS Spoiler]
storm when the red wedding happens and Summer helps Jon escape the wildlings. Assuming those two events happened at the same time.

ASOS spoilers
Summer helping Jon happens at almost exactly halfway through the book. The RW is about 2/3 of the way through. It is widely assumed that the RW will happened at the end of season 3 though. It will be interesting to see how they divide up the seasons, but it's safe to assume that all the arcs will not be cut at exactly half of the book.

ASOS spoilers
Summer helping Jon happens at almost exactly halfway through the book. The RW is about 2/3 of the way through. It is widely assumed that the RW will happened at the end of season 3 though. It will be interesting to see how they divide up the seasons, but it's safe to assume that all the arcs will not be cut at exactly half of the book.

If i had to guess season 4's ending would be
Joffrey's wedding feast, with the very final scene teasing Lady Stoneheart(using this name as to not spoil anyone silly enough to read this that hasn't read book 3 yet... ) I doubt it would end on Jon escaping unless they planned on saving the Battle at the wall to season 5, but that would take away any major action from the season... would certainly make Season 5 a bit more exciting though i guess if its mostly books 4/5 stuff.

Fuzzy

That's the first time I've ever seen someone claim DwD was worse than FFC, never mind *that* much worse. Wow!

I'm in the middle of FFC now, and it is indeed a tougher slog than all three of the previous books.
Really? I started AFFC this week and I'm 400 pages in and I'm loving it so far.

If i had to guess season 4's ending would be
Joffrey's wedding feast, with the very final scene teasing Lady Stoneheart(using this name as to not spoil anyone silly enough to read this that hasn't read book 3 yet... ) I doubt it would end on Jon escaping unless they planned on saving the Battle at the wall to season 5, but that would take away any major action from the season... would certainly make Season 5 a bit more exciting though i guess if its mostly books 4/5 stuff.

Major Book 3 spoiler:

But wouldn't they have to include
Tyrion killing a certain someone
?

Major Book 3 spoiler:

But wouldn't they have to include
Tyrion killing a certain someone
?

Yes, I would assume ASOS spoilers
Joff's wedding in somewhere in the middle of season 4, maybe episode 6 or 7 at the latest, as there is still a huge amount of stuff in that book after his wedding, and much of it hinges on his wedding, so it can't happen before.

Major ASOS
Are you referencing Joff's death? I thought it was Littlefinger / the Tyrells, not Tyrion?

ASOS major stuff:

No, I'm talking about Tyrion killing Tywin on the shitter at the end of the book. Someone was talking about Joff's wedding being at the end, but unless my memory is wrong Tyrion doesn't kill Tywin immediately after Joff's wedding, so that means Joff's wedding cannot be the season 4 finale unless they want to cram it all together.

Yes, I would assume ASOS spoilers
Joff's wedding in somewhere in the middle of season 4, maybe episode 6 or 7 at the latest, as there is still a huge amount of stuff in that book after his wedding, and much of it hinges on his wedding, so it can't happen before.

Yes, this is sort of my point. ASOS/maybe book 4 too?:
I shouldn't have said "a certain someone" since Tyrion is clearly responsible for two major deaths. I meant the latter of the two, not the former. EDIT: Ok maybe I'm wrong about him killing Joff? Is that a book 4 spoiler? I've still not finished it because it's so damn slow. I thought I recall a part of ASOS where Tyrion made it very clear he poisoned Joffrey.

My kindle broke so I can't read ADWD. I actually enjoyed A Fest For Crows, and finished it as fast as the others, so I am pretty upset by this.

Fuzzy

ASOS major stuff:

No, I'm talking about Tyrion killing Tywin on the shitter at the end of the book. Someone was talking about Joff's wedding being at the end, but unless my memory is wrong Tyrion doesn't kill Tywin immediately after Joff's wedding, so that means Joff's wedding cannot be the season 4 finale unless they want to cram it all together.
Or when they said the show would be more of an adaptation of ASoIaF instead of individual book adaptations for each season they meant that S4 doesn't have to end at the end of ASoS (or even near it). I'd love for the show to get even more spread out but that's a fool's hope.

Iksenpets

Banned

Feast is slow because it's a genuine lull in the story, Dance is slow because it's bloated and poorly edited. Even the slower parts in Feast have some of the best writing of the series.

Sos > GoT > CoK > AFFC > DwD for me, with DwD really being the odd man out.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
ASOS major stuff:

Major ASOS
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the S3 finale didn't include both Joff's feast and the RW. That way in S4 the majority of Tyrion's arc could revolve around being a prisoner, the Oberyn / Mountain fight, and concluding with the eventual murder of Tywin / Shae during the finale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom