• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Man, I was always in love with the title sequence, but watching the featurette on the bluray set just opened my eyes even more. Sigils mechanically powering each location, an inverted globe for the world map (how did I not even see that), etc. Brilliance.

Man, I was always in love with the title sequence, but watching the featurette on the bluray set just opened my eyes even more. Sigils mechanically powering each location, an inverted globe for the world map (how did I not even see that), etc. Brilliance.

Yeah. Can't wait for an updated map tonight.

Gregorn

Can somebody post the time of the season premiere on GMT?

If you mean when is it aired in the UK, it's 9pm, a whole 20 hours after America. Compared to how long it used to take shows to reach the UK, Game of Thrones is travelling at light speed.

Iksenpets

Banned
I just got cable after a 4 year hiatus, could I just watch season 2? Don't they do those recaps anyway?

Maybe I'm just biased as a season 1 viewer, but I kind of feel like season 2 wouldn't really mean anything without knowing what everyone had been through in season 1. I would definitely recommend watching season 1 if at all possible. The plot and characters are too much for any recap to really help you with.

BannedEpisode said:
The New York Times wrote a scathingly negative review for the first four episodes of season 2.

The guys main points were: It's boring. Sean Bean died. Nobody can take his place. It's boring. Too much sex and violence. It's boring.
Not really, his points are a valid concern imo. The amount of characters can simply become too much without a main character to steer the ship imo. It works in the book when plenty of depth can be written into each character but you have to wonder if they won't feel like a whole lot of half baked characters in the show to new viewers. You do want a character to root for so I really hope they up the focus on Jon and Robb to fill that void. In a way it reminds me a lot of Oz, no real main character, no one really safe, in fact most of the characters were generally unlikable. Oz was great for awhile but eventually it tires you out, you want characters you look forward to seeing and succeeding
That is a great point and mirrors my experience with Oz.
Hype went down, a bit.
Good thing I'm reading the books at the same time.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Wow that must be a bit nerve wracking, they thought the dogs were annoying but now they are going to bring wolves in and Rickon and Bran will actually be next to real live wolves? They are also going to place some CGI magic over the wolves. Wouldn't it have been easier just to have a guy in one of those CGI suits?

Depending on when the trainer came in contact with the wolf it may not be much harder if at all. That said depending on the specific variety of wolf the size may make certain scenes feel extremely dangerous even if the actors are relatively safe.

LuchaShaq

Banned
HBO gets so much promotion and support from cable and satellite providers that they would be incredibly stupid to try and go it alone any time soon.

Their current business model is incredibly lucrative, they have no need to change it.

Yeah at this point it's the money they'd lose in charging cable coms less vs. How many pirates/free loaders would pay for an hbo go subscription?

Personally despite having a free go account due to my parents cable I would buy hbo go to support literally the only channel on tv that has shows I enjoy on a consistent basis.

Puddles

Banned
Having access to HBO Go is pretty cool. I'm browsing through the site, and it looks like I can watch Rome, Deadwood, and a bunch of other shows I missed.

Subitai

I just got cable after a 4 year hiatus, could I just watch season 2? Don't they do those recaps anyway?
NO NO NO! This show is way too complicated for that. You'll have no idea what anyone is talking about and there are more "new" characters than old characters who were killed off last season. Start TV binging on this show as soon as it is comfortable. At least with the books there is lots of description you can infer stuff from, but not in a show that is compressed into 10 hours.

MYE

2011-04-26_Emilia_Clarke.jpg

Oh my...

*melts*

goddammit woman

Any word of when HBO Go will have this up? Thought I was gonna be shit out of luck when it comes to trying to watch this, but a kid on the hall next to me has HBO Go and is hoping to have a viewing party.

KingK

Any word of when HBO Go will have this up? Thought I was gonna be shit out of luck when it comes to trying to watch this, but a kid on the hall next to me has HBO Go and is hoping to have a viewing party.

Yeah, I'm wondering this as well. Will it be up online right at 9 EST or will we have to wait until it's over at 10?

Vespene

Time Warner Cable is the worst cable provider in the US. It's so bad that it should be a deciding factor whenever you're moving in to a place where only Time Warner is available.

- Only 1 HD channel per premium network (PST to boot)
- Heavily throttled internet bandwidth
- No access to the channels through other services (no CNN online, Xbox HBO Go, etc.)
- Low fidelity on all their HD channels
- Incredibly outdated DVR box
- Spam of ads while browsing channels on the guide
- Standard def interface

Those Ricky Gervais ads on TV... don't believe them. It's bad, bad, bad.

I'm having to wait till 9 PST to watch the HD showing cause I refuse to watch the SD on the eastern channel. Can't watch it on HBO Go cause they don't let me. I can't even take a piss on the cable box cause they throttled my penis.

JB1981

This show is fast becoming a phenomenon. I am at a Game of Thrones party right now with a crew of people who aren't even into stuff like this. Crazy!

Puddles

Banned
Watching the end of episode 10. Hot Pie is going to be so awesome this season.

"I knocked him down, and I kicked him in the balls, and I kept kicking him until he was dead!"

In the book it's even better because he talks about how the guy's balls split open, and his cock turned black and fell off or some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom