• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

This episode was interesting in that it honestly showed that a fuck of a lot is going on in the show. The showrunners really have their work cut out for them. People that haven't
read the books are gonna be royally fucked and lost down the road if they don't pull this shit off perfectly. :p

p.s. lena headey is still doing the one expression she knows

Exactly my problem with this episode.

I haven't read the books, but I started watching this show because I was promised intrigue, excitement, and good story-telling that would transcend the book series this show is tied to.

Not so. For someone who doesn't know the books, that premier episode was a boring tell-not-show mess.

jett

D-Member
Wait I'm confused. Who ordered the killing of all those kids and why?

Did you miss the conversation between Joffrey and Cersei about how many bastards his father made? Joffrey implicitly suggested for all of them to be killed so as to not have any other people lay claim to the throne.

KingK

Screenshots did not do Melisandre justice. I take back my criticisms on that casting choice.

Also, FUCKING GREY WIND, FUCK YEAH!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
That was the bee's knees. The last scene with the bastards was probably the best addition to date.

Sadly I thought the credit music sync was worse than ever which is a real shame because I love it otherwise.

Piecake

I approve of Stannis Baratheon. Man acted decisively.

And boy has Robb manned up.

Oh yea, I love the new cast. Stannis is perfect. The dude looks STERN. Davos and Mel are also fantastically cast. Mel definitely looks very good in motion and pulls off the role well

Robb (ACOK)
I like the changes that they made for his character since I dont think him being lead around by his mother and always taking her advice, at least in the beginning, would have made a lot of sense for an 20 year old, or whatever he is supposed to be

Fantastic episode. And its good that the show is off to a great start since I thought the first few episodes in season 1 were weaker than the rest. I also think that this was a better constructed show, transitions, directing, etc, than pretty much any of the season 1 fare. Definitely good to see
Yeah, the transitions were well done. Great premiere.

kaskade

Maybe it's my TV or the way they had the sound mixing done but they always talk so damn low, then it cuts to blaring moaning

whisper, whisper, whisper UHUHUHUHUHUHUUH

NewLib

Banned
Overall good episode. The only complaint is that, since it was a premiere, the writers seemed to want to include most of the major characters. Honestly, they could have saved the scene involving Dany until episode 2 and instead added another scene at Craster's or with Stannis/Davon

aceface

Maybe just cause I'm used to the blu rays but the picture quality on Time Warner Cable was horrible. Bad artifacts all over the dark scenes. Is it the same for anyone else?

Other than that, episode was great. Holy shit, the killing of the bastards was brutal. That happened "off screen" in the books. also it seems like thee really playing up Joffreys insanity. I the book he pretty much cowed to his mother. It will be interesting seeing Tyron trying to control him.

Door2Dawn

Banned
The Queen, because she wants to eliminate any possible heirs to the throne.

Janos Slint, the white bearded guard that carried it out, was the former city guard captain which she bought when he betrayed Eddard Stark in Episode 7.
Ah I see. Damn that was some Prince of Egypt shit right there. Brutal.

Piecake

Overall good episode. The only complaint is that, since it was a premiere, the writers seemed to want to include most of the major characters. Honestly, they could have saved the scene involving Dany until episode 2 and instead added another scene at Craster's or with Stannis/Davon

That Craster scene was great. Excellent casting

jett

D-Member

I haven't read the books, but I started watching this show because I was promised intrigue, excitement, and good story-telling that would transcend the book series this show is tied to.

Not so. For someone who doesn't know the books, that premier episode was a boring tell-not-show mess.

S1 was also similar in this way. The books are just super dense, but I think they're doing the best they can. :p

Transcend the books series? Who the fuck promised that? Most fans are happy that it's even half as good as the books. To be honest, the opening of the second book was confusing as well considering we were meeting new characters right off the bat. I can't really say I found this episode any more "tell-not-show" than the first season, which was pretty light on action. I was really surprised that they showed the bastard killings. And the preview for the rest of the season looks amazing.

To those saying that non-book readers will have trouble I think you're right to some extent, but once the storylines start to cross, it'll work a lot better. Also HBO shows in general have always demanded the audience to pay attention to be rewarded. This is the same channel that had a slow burn with The Wire, and something as recent as Luck.

REV 09

Those who don't read the books will be seriously fucked trying to keep track of all of it.

Which makes it a bad show...if it stays this way. S1 was great but it mainly followed 2 families. I feel like there are a shit ton of factions now. They literally showed everyone once and then had 10 minutes left to do something.

Jonm1010

Banned
Great episode.

I'm not sure I follow all the complaints of confusion for new viewers.

both my girlfriend and brother were able to follow along perfectly and neither have read the books nor would I consider them particularly acute observers of nuanced plot.

Also all of us thought the episode was great. Not getting the complaints of it being slow. There was just enough action, intrigue and suspense building to never come off as slow.

Macattk15

I haven't read the books, but I've followed it perfectly through Season 1. I doubt it will ever make me have no idea what's happening.

Sure I may miss little details ... but I get the gist of everything and why its happening.

I wasn't saying "WHY THEY KILLIN DEM BABIES?" ... I knew.

Subitai

Also, now that I think about it, I'm surprised they showed as much of Bran as they did.

Also, they didn't show and introduce everyone - we see Renly and the Tyrells next week.

No patchface :(

They should have kept the prologue in tact season 1 style and it was disappointing seeing Shea in the tower of the hand, otherwise, fantastic!

Loved watching Tyrion trailed by Bronn and the Hill Tribesmen

jett

D-Member
To those saying that non-book readers will have trouble I think you're right to some extent, but once the storylines start to cross, it'll work a lot better. Also HBO shows in general have always demanded the audience to pay attention to be rewarded. This is the same channel that had a slow burn with The Wire, and something as recent as Luck.

raredaigofootage3u4c.gif

ezrarh

I thought they did plenty of showing at the end. I'm going to love the Cersei/Tyrion interaction throughout the season.

Jonm1010

Banned
S1 was also similar in this way. The books are just super dense, but I think they're doing the best they can. :p

If it does become a big problem down the road(though I'm not seeing it just yet) it could ruin the show I guess.

With that said I feel like this is one show that really deserved to have gotten at least another 2-5 episodes to properly cover the materiel without feeling its being rushed. That or allow the show to break the HBO drama norm and give each episode an extra fifteen minutes.

Those who don't read the books will be seriously fucked trying to keep track of all of it.

It's going to be one of those things where people will have to be patient until the various plot points come into focus. You're not going to have to worry about missing the major story beats, but you will probably have to accept just understanding what's happening "in the moment" in the various story strands without being able to tell how or when they tie in to each other.

Helmholtz

I thought the episode was really good, but yeah, there was a lot going on. Had to pause it periodically to explain it to my dad, who was super lost. Didn't help that the subtitles were messed up for me.
Only complaints are that I always pictured Craster as being a little more insane/crazy acting than he was, and that cut to the whores was pretty silly. Guess they had to have their boob shot of the episode somewhere.
Some of the cinematography/shots were really nice looking, very impressive stuff. Rob's actor seems to be bringing his A game this time around. Not sure how I feel about Davos yet.

royalan

Transcend the books series? Who the fuck promised that? Most fans are happy that it's even half as good as the books. To be honest, the opening of the second book was confusing as well considering we were meeting new characters right off the bat. I can't really say I found this episode any more "tell-not-show" than the first season, which was pretty light on action. I was really surprised that they showed the bastard killings. And the preview for the rest of the season looks amazing.

By "transcend" I meant remain a griping show to those of the audience who hadn't read the books. Not that it's actually better than the books. My apologies.

*cough*True Blood*cough*

An-Det

Damn that was good. It was light on action, but a lot was introduced and plots are starting to be set. I wasn't sure about the casting for Stannis and Melisandre, but they completely sold me after this. Only one sex scene too. I can understand why non-readers would have some confusion, but I think they're doing a good job, all things considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom