• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiwing

Episode was great. There are a lot of threads that have to be woven together this season so I expect that some not familiar with the books will have to do repeat viewing to catch the links between actions. On another subject, I'm rewatching it on HBO Go just to see the interactive info supposedly linked to it but a lot of it just doesn't load. Hopefully it's just first day overload and not representative of it's quality. I like trivia and behind the scenes like this done right.

raredaigofootage3u4c.gif

Full S2 spoilers.

Yeah, I know but you know what I mean. I think it'll go more smoothly with the Stannis/Renly/Cat. Right now they're just separate strands. Plus I think theyll link Arya with Tywin and stuff.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Exactly my problem with this episode.

I haven't read the books, but I started watching this show because I was promised intrigue, excitement, and good story-telling that would transcend the book series this show is tied to.

Not so. For someone who doesn't know the books, that premier episode was a boring tell-not-show mess.

If you haven't read the books I'd highly suggest the other thread/reading the books.

Which makes it a bad show...if it stays this way. S1 was great but it mainly followed 2 families. I feel like there are a shit ton of factions now. They literally showed everyone once and then had 10 minutes left to do something.

Even the books required me to do rereads to get all that was happening. But it's all so worth it.

Which makes it a bad show...if it stays this way. S1 was great but it mainly followed 2 families. I feel like there are a shit ton of factions now. They literally showed everyone once and then had 10 minutes left to do something.

It will likely slow down a bit per show but you'll have to keep storylines and characters in mind when they're not addressed for an episode or two.

All of these events were set into motion during the first season. And pretty sure it mainly followed 4 big families.

jett

D-Member
Full S2 spoilers.

Yeah, I know but you know what I mean. I think it'll go more smoothly with the Stannis/Renly/Cat. Right now they're just separate strands. Plus I think theyll link Arya with Tywin and stuff.

Yeah I guess, maybe it'll get a little better for the non-readers. But man some people didn't even understand the bastard-killing scene. :p They're probably wondering what the fuck were they burning on the beach, or what the fuck was that all about at dinner with the crazy lady in red.

mcfrank

I thought the episode was great. The killing of the bastards was much harsher than in the book. Also showing that even Cersei afraid of Joffery was a really good touch to make the audience hate him even more.

REV 09

Yeah I guess, maybe it'll get a little better for the non-readers. But man some people didn't even understand the bastard-killing scene. :p They're probably wondering what the fuck were they burning on the beach, or what the fuck was that all about at dinner with the crazy lady in red.

got me there. What were they burning?

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
I was one of the few people really down on S1, but I really enjoyed the premier. My wife felt the same way. Even the added scenes seemed to have better writing, and they were used smartly to setup plot points and transition into scenes well without as much extraneous exploitation. Example: the scene with Joffrey asking Cersei about Robert's affairs was great as a lead in to the murdering of the bastards. Cersei and Littlefinger's conversation about power was an interesting way to setup and expand the (sort of minor spoiler)
thought experiment they played up in the adds and which seems to be a running theme.
I feel like there were a couple of other interesting added scenes, but I can't recall them just now. Just about all of the added scenes in season one were cringe worthy.

Gruco

Banned
Lot of things I liked about this episode. The way they went from Stannis's ravens to Joff and Cersei fighting to the bastard scene to Arya at the end was really well built up, especially with Arya absent otherwise. Should lead to a nice pivot to her story for episode 2.

The big challenge of the show is finding the right balance between an ensemble and episodes. Last season did a good job with episodes like Lord Snow, which mostly focused on a particular story line but managed to keep things moving just enough elsewhere. That is obviously going to become much more challenging as the scope grows given how interdependent various sequences are. Even today's was a little more scattered than was probably ideal, but again, leaving out the Arya story for the final pivot was just really smart.

Again finding myself liking most of the added scenes. Given what treats Varys/Littlefinger and Cersei/Robert were last season I hope to have many other little spins like that along the way.

Just happy to have this back, really.

Moaradin

I haven't read the books. Obviously I don't know much about the new characters but I could follow the episode pretty decently.

jett

D-Member
got me there. What were they burning?

Effigies of the gods of the most common religion of the land, "the seven". The lady in red brings a new religion with her, with only one god to be praised. Maybe this was also lost on you(well actually it's never even explained in the show), the guy that ended up dying from his own poisoned cup was Maester of Stannis's castle.

They were saying fuck the old gods.

Naw, the "old gods" are those of the North.

Effigies of the gods of the most common religion of the land, "the seven". The lady in red brings a new religion with her, with only one god to be praised.

Naw, the "old gods" are those of the North.

Their old gods? And now they only worship one, right?

Tess3ract

Banned
If you're having trouble following all the characters already, don't read the books and give up on the story now.

That being said, as a bookreader this episode owned.

This is gonna be a half-assed season. No way can they tell the story of all the characters and plot points of Clash of Kings in 10 episodes.

scosher

Is this a troll post? Did you consider S1 a bad show?

Cause I can tell you, the friends I introduced to GoT were 10x more confused and more reluctant to get into this show after the S1 premiere. But they stuck with it and loved it.

There may be new threads being woven in S2, but they killed a lot of characters in S1. I'm sure viewers who stuck by S1 and loved it throughout will be able to manage and follow along. Have a bit more faith.

aceface

Melisandre is hot. No pun intended! They did great with her casting.

Also I liked Shea better in this episode. She seemed more like book Shea. Although why she is in the tower of the hand I have no idea. Also Kings Landing looks about 1000% better than it did in season 1.

So when do the Dragons start fighting like they do in Skyrim?

In another two books.

Anyhoo, really dug the episode. Man, Tyrion is going to be fucking awesome the next two seasons. The scene with him and Shae in the Hand's Tower was really sweet. Also makes it even more sad :(

rififi

I didn't have any problems following those scenes, but after watching the first season, I also decided to do some wiki background reading on the history of Westeros (without spoiling the other books). Also, those who didn't understand the bastard-killing scene simply weren't paying attention tonight, or of last season.

I want to read the books, but I prefer not knowing what the fuck will happen in the show, always being on edge.

REV 09

I honestly didn't find season 1 difficult to follow. I wouldn't consider this episode hard to follow either other than being confused in a few spots. I just thought it was slow and it seems like there are a lot of factions to fit into an hour. The season preview looks stellar and bigger in scale than the first.

scosher

This so much. I was very impressed with how it looked this episode. Some of those shots, like the one from the Tower of the Hand, looked amazing.

Eh, that was too much CGI.

But otherwise I agree, the cinematography and camera-work is already a lot better than Season 1.

Piecake

As for being slow, eh, whatever. I really didnt think so at all since I found the scenes fantastic and the dialogue, acting and character interaction really really compelling and well done. The lack of shit getting done plot wise didnt bother me at all, and there is not a whole lot the creators could have done since book 2 starts out with a lot of talking and not a lot of action as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom