• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'all are crazy. Carice van Houten is a fucking knockout: amazing actress AND gorgeous.

8nY1L.jpg

BiKF5.jpg

zfjaW.jpg

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Enjoyed it. Very glad it's back. Agree with the only part I wasn't 100% sold on was Milesandre.

Brera

Banned
I like how Joffrey has surrounded himself with such shitheads that they know when he says "give him something to drink" he actually means "drown him with a barrel of wine and a funnel." This can't backfire at all.

I was thinking the same thing!

"Boys...take care of him"

"When I said take care of him, I meant like Mary Poppins, not Al Pachino!"

Socreges

Banned
I meant to ask..... did something happen to Aiden Gillan's (Littlefinger) face? His mouth looked strange when he was talking (like he'd had a stroke) and his goatee/patch looked off to the side.

Some kind of joke I'm missing? That's not Stannis.
Yes.

(it just looks like him - joke is that he wouldn't be there, nor in the background as an extra)

Brera

Banned
My main gripe with the premiere is the fact that they stuck the prologue in the middle of the episode. Just like the books, introducing these new characters BEFORE returning to the old ones is a far more effective way of showing you who they are, what role they play in the world, and making you give a shit.

The choice to start with the scene with Sir Dontos was kind of weird, and I was really expecting them to do the prologue scene as a cold opening. I was surprised and a little disappointed when I started the episode on HBO Go and it went straight into the opening sequence. Introducing Davos, Melisandre and Stannis halfway through took a lot of momentum out of the episode, and if I hadn't read the books I'd be wondering why they took me out of all the other things going on to show me these characters I've never seen before.

Agreed. It was strange reading the 2nd book for the 1st time and suddenly I'm reading about some dude called Davos.

K-Style

Banned
The good:
1. The wolves were awesome.
2. Bran and Arya don't appear to have grown up as much as they have in real life, but I feel sorry for Hodor having to carry Bran about. Hodor.
3. Agree Rob and Catelyn are awesome.
4. Davos.

The bad:
1. Gendry's helmet looked bad. (I wish they wouldn't take a bull head helmet so literally).
2. Master Cresson started dying straight away which took a lot of the drama out of it.
3. The whore training scene really interrupted the episode.
4. Mellisandre's wig is terrible. It should be straight not styled and not so dead looking. It would go a long way to improving her look and getting her closer to what we all imagined.
5. Hannah Murray's (Gilly) awkward conversation was really awkward. Not the best introduction.

I didn't really picture Dontos as a middle age fat man but others here say he was an excellent casting choice so there you go.

Carice is beautiful, and looked GREAT in the first ep. Her accent wavered a bit, but I'd imagine that will get better. I'm completely on board

Kuroyume

Banned
I loved how everyone one was pronouncing terrors. The night is dark and full of terrrareus... Became infectious because even Stannis picked it up.

Randdalf

I'm glad that Janos Slynt is being given more screen time (ACOK)
in anticipation of that scene where Tyrion completely does him over and sends him to the Wall

K-Style

Banned
I meant to ask..... did something happen to Aiden Gillan's (Littlefinger) face? His mouth looked strange when he was talking (like he'd had a stroke) and his goatee/patch looked off to the side.

I don't think that's new (the weird face/voice thing). In fact I didn't notice it as much this episode.

Flatline

Banned
Based on my rough calculations 75% of people think its awesome, 25% of people think its ok.

To me even an uneventful episode like this one is awesome just for the fact that there are so many interesting characters and backstory. This show can do no wrong anymore.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Very good. Some have argued it was too rushed but most of the reviews I have seen were positive, even for new viewers.

It seemed fine, but the pacing was a bit "too fast." Episode was over too soon, and felt like there was 15-20 minutes left to go, when it ended.

I think the lack of Arya in episode 1 was kind of a narrative choice, as much as anything. I mean, yeah, it was partially because there were too many storylines to revisit/introduce anyway, but it was also a nice storytelling trick to have both the characters AND the audience asking "where's Arya" for an hour to the point that her mere appearance at the end became almost a cliffhanger.

Yeah it played in perfectly with the Bastard killings, and finding out where Gendry is.

Still no news on ratings?

I've seen numbers for The Killing, and the Showtime stuff, but nothing for GOT yet. They are the numbers I'm most interested in so I wish they'd come out. All the cable numbers for Sunday come out on Tuesday morning, but you'd think HBO would want to put out a press release today if it did as good as many of us are hoping it did.

brentech

Designer of the 8-bit GOT tshirt that was sold on TeeFury on here still?

Or does anyone know his GAF user name? The shirt is apparently available on redbubble.com, but I just want to make sure that's it's legit and he still gets paid for it, specially since it's more expensive there - and I don't know much about the site itself.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I've seen numbers for The Killing, and the Showtime stuff, but nothing for GOT yet. They are the numbers I'm most interested in so I wish they'd come out. All the cable numbers for Sunday come out on Tuesday morning, but you'd think HBO would want to put out a press release today if it did as good as many of us are hoping it did.

Last year HBO released the premiere ratings and renewed the show on Tuesday morning:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...rossed-4-2-million-on-hbo-sunday-night/89922/

purg3

slept with Malkin
Designer of the 8-bit GOT tshirt that was sold on TeeFury on here still?

Or does anyone know his GAF user name? The shirt is apparently available on redbubble.com, but I just want to make sure that's it's legit and he still gets paid for it, specially since it's more expensive there - and I don't know much about the site itself.
Was it dreweyes or something?

apana

Y'all are crazy. Carice van Houten is a fucking knockout: amazing actress AND gorgeous.

I agree, great Melisandre. I am really satisfied.

The good:
1. The wolves were awesome.
2. Bran and Arya don't appear to have grown up as much as they have in real life, but I feel sorry for Hodor having to carry Bran about. Hodor.
3. Agree Rob and Catelyn are awesome.
4. Davos.

The bad:
1. Gendry's helmet looked bad. (I wish they wouldn't take a bull head helmet so literally).
2. Master Cresson started dying straight away which took a lot of the drama out of it.
3. The whore training scene really interrupted the episode.

4. Mellisandre's wig is terrible. It should be straight not styled and not so dead looking. It would go a long way to improving her look and getting her closer to what we all imagined.
5. Hannah Murray's (Gilly) awkward conversation was really awkward. Not the best introduction.

I didn't really picture Dontos as a middle age fat man but others here say he was an excellent casting choice so there you go.

That is probably because the latest pictures you are seeing of them is after the filming is over, these young actors grow quicker than the direwolves. I agree about Master Cressen, I'm not sure how I would have done it but Stannis parts needed a minute or two more. That's why I was saying some of the unnecessary scenes should have been cut. Can't say I agree on the akward conversation part, Craster's Keep scene was perfectly creepy. Standout performance on the actor's part.

pr0cs

How are the extras on the Bluray set of the first season?

really great, as someone whos read all the books I still learned a lot from the backstory comic expose and the voiceovers are amazingly done.

seriously it's one of the best BD sets I own for picture clarity.

Igladius

Neo Member
The only thing I really saw out of order/place was the poison scene being the intro to ACOK, when in the show it was after burning the seven.

Robb's demands are actually more lenient than in the book: where Sansa's marriage, Ice, and Jamie all being included (but Jamie not going anywhere).

Also, I don't know how to cover up spoilers, but I was wondering what event everyone foresees as the ending (major) event in this season. [aka: Eddard's Beheading is to AGOT as ??? is to ACOK]

thanks

My sister pointed this out. He doesn't move his upper lip when he speaks.

Dany

Banned
How much time has passed between seasons?

Because damn, those wolves got BIG.

Err, maybe a few weeks/month or so if I remember correctly.

Also, I feel the constant cutting to a different person/setting might become tiring for epsiodes. They need to focus on a few characters and tell their story because this jumbled of a pilot was quite distracting.

Okay guys, I haven't read anything in this thread since the premiere, but what is the general consensus? Was it awesome or just okay? I'm watching it tonight!!

Late on this, but I thought it was great. It didn't feel rushed to me, well except for maybe the very first scene. Just about everything is above the quality of what we had in season 1, and many of the complaints (in my opinion) are nitpicking.

NinjaScooter is Coming.

Watch Black Book. I don't think you'll have any reason to complain.

Igladius

Neo Member
Craster's Keep scene was perfectly creepy. Standout performance on the actor's part.

and I have to agree, I want to say I saw the guy in another show. He played the role flawlessly.

Also: I hope Snow gets much much more dialog in this season than the first episode suggested.

Helmholtz

I'm not sure I like the actor playing the hound. He's not terrible or anything, but he seems a bit too sombre/boring to be the hound.

Gila

Damn! Carice van Houten is hot. She should play J.K. Rowling if a biopic ever comes

Also love this scene

i5xiDErdOcUuu.gif

Just as much as this one

ibbNDWERcJxVY6.gif

1stStrike

Banned
Just watched this after work today. Really enjoyed it overall, and glad to see Tyrion again back in action. Nit picks aside, I have the feeling that this is going to be another great season. I keep the books and the show separate, so I enjoy them equally for what they are.

Also, can't get enough of Joffrey getting the shit slapped out of him. Apparently, people shit talk him on the streets when he's just out and about lol. Poor kid is going to have it rough :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom