• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot reviews Metroid Prime 2

WarPig

I've hummed old Mega Man music many a time.

And anything by Takenobu Mitsuyoshi is hummable as all hell.

DFS.

Willco

Hollywood Square
efralope said:
oh well, at least GoldenEye 007 > Halo 2

http://www.gamespot.com/n64/action/goldeneye007/index.html

:)

man, I'm not even touching that review case I just saw the word spoiler in this thread, but at only 2 pages long it already has potential for shoddy journalism...

Gamespot should have let him review a few non- highprofile games first because taking on something like this, this is his first gig and it's something this major?

Gamespot - 100

It's a videogame review, not National Geographic.

WarPig

Making gods out of little purple boxes. Like I say.

On the humming tip, I could see humming some of this music in GoldenEye Rogue Agent. They got their money's worth out of Oakenfold, this is pretty good stuff.

DFS.

AniHawk

Yeah, this review makes sense. The original was er... "groundbreaking," and this is more of what it offered without being a simple expansion. I must have skipped over the sound- but the music in Metroid Prime was one of the high points in the game. It should have pushed Echoes's score to a 10 if it was the same person. :|

EDIT: I probably forgot about the sound effects just now. Forgot they factor in too.

DaBuddaDa

You're all complaning about people who are whining about it's low score. I don't think one person has complained in this entire thread yet...

Anyway, great score, and I can't friggin wait for next monday.

AniHawk

DaBuddaDa said:
You're all complaning about people who are whining about it's low score. I don't think one person has complained in this entire thread yet...

I did! Just now!

Hooray!

Matlock

Banned
The Metroid Prime 2 theme is pretty damn good, but it's no Metroid Prime Date Imput theme. Or Demo theme, for that matter.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
DaBuddaDa said:

Anyway, great score, and I can't friggin wait for next monday.
Well, efralope has, but he doesn't count.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
kpop100 said:
Did anyone believe it would score higher than Halo 2? Well I know a couple people, but I mean like the other 99% of the normal people here. I'm not even a Halo fan either, give me teh HL2 bitches :p

even if the reviewer liked it better than halo2.. there is no chance in hell they would have given it a higher score.. the internet (gaming section) would absolutely implode if they did... and they know it.

anyway.. unlike that 8.5 review.. this one is incredibly positive.

Matlock

Banned
Also, for the parties involved in this embarassment of a thread: take your goddamn pudding and eat it. You are the only one finding fault here, while everyone else knows it's an alright game.

light-blue-yoshi-crying.jpg

"It's not fair, mommy! Reviewers like Halo 2 better! And gamers will buy five times as many Halo 2's! This affects my like for the game!"

snapty00

Banned
quadriplegicjon said:
even if the reviewer liked it better than halo2.. there is no chance in hell they would have given it a higher score.. the internet (gaming section) would absolutely implode if they did... and they know it.
Then why didn't they give it a 9.4 to give it an equal score? Oh wait, they knew the Internet would implode with that too, right?

Then why didn't they give it a 9.3? Oh wait, they knew the Internet would implode with that too, right?

Then why didn't they give it a 9.2? Oh wait, they knew the Internet would implode with that too, right?

9.1? Just right!

Matlock

Banned
WarPig said:
The new title screen theme in MP2 is cool, though, they added this guitar section that's pretty nice.

DFS.

Yeah, I like that muchly...it's that little snap after 30 seconds of electronica and flapping and such.

Particle Physicist

snapty00 said:
Then why didn't they give it a 9.4 to give it an equal score? Oh wait, they knew the Internet would implode with that too, right?

Then why didn't they give it a 9.3? Oh wait, they knew the Internet would implode with that too, right?

Then why didn't they give it a 9.2? Oh wait, they knew the Internet would implode with that too, right?

9.1? Just right!

why not just give halo a 9.5 .. what really separates a 9.5 game from a 9.4 .. or a 9.2 .. or a 9.1 ??

9.1 ... 9.2 .. 9.3 .. 9.4 . .its all the same damn score.

but i digress.. you didnt really comprehend my post...

'even if the reviewer liked it better than halo2' .. even if.. im not saying they did.. just saying it was foolish of anyone to think this game had a chance of scoring higher than halo2..

Matlock

Banned
adelgary said:
I think that's a retarded thing to say.

Although it's a bit awkwardly written, and sounds horrible out of context...well...

In context it makes sense, because it's all about how everything is familiar (controls, HUD, and such).

WarPig

quadriplegicjon said:
why not just give halo a 9.5 .. what really separates a 9.5 game from a 9.4 .. or a 9.2 .. or a 9.1 ??

This is why I thank God every day that I don't have to score games on a hundred-point scale anymore.

DFS.

SantaC

great score I wont complain at this one. Neither should anyone else. It's obviously that metroid prime 2 isn't as good as the first one. But I guess we have to sit through another 10 pages in this one.

Matlock

Banned
krypt0nian said:

No, I'm going to have to side with jett on this one. The only real big N-troll anymore is MrBob, and he's easily taken care of. It's just that the Nintendo Fanboy hivemind is getting more and more elastic...and snapping everyone repeatedly in the ass.

It's getting annoying, buddies.

Matlock said:
No, I'm going to have to side with jett on this one. The only real big N-troll anymore is MrBob, and he's easily taken care of. It's just that the Nintendo Fanboy hivemind is getting more and more elastic...and snapping everyone repeatedly in the ass.

It's getting annoying, buddies.

You need to read more DS threads then. Sorry wrongo.

Particle Physicist

WarPig said:
This is why I thank God every day that I don't have to score games on a hundred-point scale anymore.

DFS.

yeah... the scale is pretty stupid.. id much rather have a review without a number system.. just a thumbs up .. or a thumbs down.. and have the words decide whether the game is for you or not.

Kon Tiki

Banned
People have to stop obsessing over the numbers. Seriously. Play some games. I think some people here have more fun watching scores at gamerankings than actually playing games. Fucking sad.

Alcibiades

Justin Bailey said:
Well, efralope has, but he doesn't count.
the first few were sarcasm (how could I know it was too low if I haven't played the game), but the point that this is his first game is only 1/2 joking, I mean, really expected a huge review, but it's only 2 pages long, and assigning such a high-profile game to a new reviewer seems a little odd, but then again IGN was doing that year...

Honestly I think Kasavin (who graded the first MP) should have done this one, so that we could have gotten a review from a reference point that was established. Would have been great for Nintendo fans that are Gamespot readers to be able to work off how they felt about the first MP compared to how Kasavin felt (I remember praising this guy for his MP review, cause it was really comprehensive and awesome, when I started that thread about the Gamespotting some dude did that complained about stealing GS videos or something in pre-neo-GAF)

We don't know if 9.1 is an absolute GOLD standard for this new guy and couldn't get almost any better, or if 9.1 an excellent game...

I haven't read the review cause I want to stay away from spoilers, but it's hard to tell from a completely new face...

Is this Mary Jane, a Matt, or a Greg Kasavin?

Matlock

Banned
Society said:
People have to stop obsessing over the numbers. Seriously. Play some games. I think some people here have more fun watching scores at gamerankings than actually playing games. Fucking sad.

Yeah, I know. It's like we've spawned a forum of Gahiggidys. *shudders*

OF which, Psi-Ops sold relatively poorly, and got 8's on Gamerankings...but it's still my GOTY. Hey, what's wrong with this picture?

Matlock said:
I avoid them like the plague, mostly because of the Nintendo Hivemind Effect.

That's the attidtude that old, Matty. The only people who are getting railed on are those going into threads jsut to say how crappy this is or that is and have zero intention on buying anything but a PSP. We could give a damn list. Nintendo Hivemind is just as asinine as those who use the term N-tards.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Was expecting it to get it under Halo 2's score, but 9.1 is still a great score and I will be getting the game. Fuck the haters.

Oh and I don't like how this brad shomaker guy talks

shpankey

not an idiot
looks exactly the same, sounds the same, not much new, the reviewer said the added multiplayer mode sucked and wasn't very good. did they even do anything at all to improve this series? i think he gave it a higher score than it probably deserved based on what he was saying in the video review. sounds just like exactly more of the same with bare minimum improvements. maybe it's better than he let on tho, i dont know, but there was nothing there mentioned that got me excited to play it.

Particle Physicist

SantaCruZer said:
It's obviously that metroid prime 2 isn't as good as the first one.

i dunno.. this reviewer doesnt give us a hint of that..

'Echoes stands shoulder to shoulder with its predecessor, delivering absolutely everything you'd want from a NEW 3D Metroid adventure. '

'Now that the framework is set, the designers have been able to craft some really impressive new gameplay around the basic model. '

'Echoes looks better than Metroid Prime '

'The world of Aether is brought to life with exceptional artistry--no two areas look even remotely the same, and they all feature inventive architecture and unique set pieces. The designs for the ing are especially ghastly, putting a repulsive face on your new enemy. And just like its predecessor, the game runs at a perfectly smooth frame rate, which is all the more impressive considering how good it looks'

'The game is quite long and involved--you'll spend a bare minimum of 20 hours just getting to the end, and finding all the hidden items and scanning everything will take much longer. '

'As an adventure game with heavy action elements and an emphasis on complex puzzle-solving, Metroid Prime 2 is about as good as it gets, on the GameCube or on any platform. '

remember.. this guy didnt review MP for gamespot.. so we have nothing to base his number on . .

Particle Physicist

shpankey said:
looks exactly the same, sounds the same, not much new, the reviewer said the added multiplayer mode sucked and wasn't very good. did they even do anything at all to improve this series? i think he gave it a higher score than it probably deserved based on what he was saying in the video review. sounds just like exactly more of the same with bare minimum improvements. maybe it's better than he let on tho, i dont know, but there was nothing there mentioned that got me excited to play it.

did you read the same review as i did??? look at my quotes above.. he says none of that..

you sound really bitter for some reason :lol

efralope said:

It's rudds. He's been in the industry for like five years. He's an okay guy! I'm sorry you need more data in order to assimilate him into the hive mind.

Someone dig back into that Halo 2 review thread for some quotes from folks who are in full damage control here.

Not to loose siight of the fact that a 9.1 is a great score for a game.

Matlock

Banned
First SuperFanboy, and then Darth Nintendo.

krypt0nian said:
That's the attidtude that old, Matty. The only people who are getting railed on are those going into threads jsut to say how crappy this is or that is and have zero intention on buying anything but a PSP. We could give a damn list. Nintendo Hivemind is just as asinine as those who use the term N-tards.

It's not my fault that you get all in a hissy fit whenever someone brings up image quality. Nor when you can't learn that Drinky Crow is to be ignored.

efralope said:
a new reviewer

First of all, he's not new. That's been detailed in the thread by both skip and WarPig. Seriously, look at the thread.

Honestly I think Kasavin (who graded the first MP) should have done this one, so that we could have gotten a review from a reference point that was established.

What exactly is the reason for necessitating someone review every game in a series? What if Kasavin would have given it a 9.1?

We don't know if 9.1 is an absolute GOLD standard for this new guy and couldn't get almost any better, or if 9.1 an excellent game...

9.1 is excellent, by any standard. Get your panties out of a twist.

I haven't read the review

RIFLogo2.jpg

It's Brad Shoemaker.

Top Bottom