• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geralt won't be the protagonist in Witcher 4, but he will be present, says voice actor

Exede

Not a real Witcher as she did not pass all the trials or underwent mutations. Would not make sense for a Witcher 4.

I expect character creation. But if CDPR has been affected by the Mind Virus then I expect either the character creation to be centered around ugly characters or bad writing.
I'm also ok with a custom character. But witcher or not i would prefer Ciri

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
image-asset.jpeg
I'm down for Dominican Ciri.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm also ok with a custom character. But witcher or not i would prefer Ciri
If they use a Preset I think Ciri could be interesting but as I said I wouldn't consider Ciri a Witcher. Witcher training yes but a Witcher true no.

It's likely by what information we have that Lynx Witcher School might be the Player Character's point of Origin.

Regardless I hope Witcher 4 story is not another "Source Magic" or very long "Fetch Quest".

IMO all of CDPR's games suffer from the Elder Scrolls effect where the main quest is very uninteresting compared to the Sidequests. Primarily Witcher Contracts and Mercenary Gigs(Cyberpunk).

I'd imagine they probably will follow CP2077 and give you a male and female Template to build off of but the character will have a preset personality going down the main story path.

Reactions: Isa

Sleepwalker

I don't really like character creation but i'd rather that if the alternative is some unlikeable main character. Guess I'll wait and see.

Mr Hyde

Not really a fan of this. Geralt was a great character in TW3 (the only Witcher I played). He was probably the best of the whole cast, and what made me enjoy the game so much. The writing and his VA was spot on and made him come alive in a true and compelling way that left a lasting impact long after the game ended. I've done four playthroughs of TW3 and it's much thanks to Geralt being such an awesome hero (and also the fact it's an incredible game). Him not being the main character seriously deflated my hype.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
The entire point of Witcher was to play Geralt lol. And nothing against Ciri, but Geralt is the main character people want to play.
Funny for you to say that. Initial CDPRs idea was to actually let you create your own Witcher and even choose a proper school an origin. They scrapped the concept very early though and went with Geralt due to time and budget constraints. Plus it was way cheaper to model 1 fixed character instead of entire set of customizable parts (you'll be surprisied how little models TW1 used in general before the Enhanced Edition).

Bonus: some very early shots that are almost impossible to find
J23Vg3i.jpeg
ilf6LCx.jpeg

That is not the problem, but rather who will replace him.
The concern most people have is that it might be one of those characters made for "modern audiences".
People love role playing as Geralt. It's not difficult to figure this reaction out.

This is going to be a shitshow. As will the remake of W1.

Geralt is a great character that has squeezed just about all there is from his story arc over three games and two very well done expansions. He deserves his retirement at the inn full of drinking and bath time orgies.

As for his replacement - Ciri most certainly has been primed to take over that role. Witcher 3 gave us a taste of that. Soiling yourself because they have the audacity to have a woman take over is the sexist, childish mindset that's embarrassing. Can people at least see HOW they handle this before they start losing their shit?

Saber

Funny for you to say that. Initial CDPRs idea was to actually let you create your own Witcher and even choose a proper school an origin. They scrapped the concept very early though and went with Geralt due to time and budget constraints. Plus it was way cheaper to model 1 fixed character instead of entire set of customizable parts (you'll be surprisied how little models TW1 used in general before the Enhanced Edition).

Bonus: some very early shots that are almost impossible to find
J23Vg3i.jpeg
ilf6LCx.jpeg

I can understand the potential of a CyC in the Witcher universe. But not in Witcher, because the selling point of Witcher is and aways will be Gerald. If they initially create a concept of Cyc I don't even know the game would end up that famous.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm fine with it, I love Geralt but at a certain point it undermines the ending of the trilogy to keep bringing him back. You don't want it to turn into Kiryu in Yakuza or anything.

Dazraell

Hopefully he isn't killed off by a butterfly like my man Deckard.
You haven't seen how books has ended, didn't you? Geralt already had one lame "death", I don't think they will repeat it lol

Also, the most recent book (Season of Storms) implied he was alive for at least 100 years after the last novel. One of Witcher 3 DLCs had some ties to that book, so it's safe to assume this story is canon

Geralt was always in this story, but originally he was a side character. His part in TW1 was very similar to what Berengar had in the final game. Originally they wanted to make a hack'n'slash game like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and you indeed could create your own character and even pick a gender. They had to change an engine (original engine belonged to programmer who refused to move to Warsaw) and managed to licence Aurora from BioWare, which impacted their direction. When they started working with this engine they slowly shifted towards more narrative-oriented game and they felt that custom character like this may not work and they opted for a fixed protagonist instead

But initially it wasn't Geralt, but Berengar, the same guy I mentioned earlier. He was originally the protagonist of The Witcher 1. After a while CD Projekt decided to make yet another change and opted for making Geralt as a lead. But not for budget reason, but because of his recognizability. Geralt was The Witcher and they felt a new protagonist may not be able to live up to his legacy. So they made this switch and Berengar's role was rewritten to occupy similar story Geralt had initially, but obviously with some changes as his personality and backstory were different. You can see earlier designs of Berengar in this trailer

Last edited:
Geralt is a great character that has squeezed just about all there is from his story arc over three games and two very well done expansions. He deserves his retirement at the inn full of drinking and bath time orgies.

As for his replacement - Ciri most certainly has been primed to take over that role. Witcher 3 gave us a taste of that. Soiling yourself because they have the audacity to have a woman take over is the sexist, childish mindset that's embarrassing. Can people at least see HOW they handle this before they start losing their shit?
Women can't be Witchers.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
You haven't seen how books has ended, didn't you? Geralt already had one lame "death", I don't think they will repeat it lol

Also, the most recent book (Season of Storms) implied he was alive for at least 100 years after the last novel. One of Witcher 3 DLCs had some ties to that book, so it's safe to assume this story is canon

Geralt was always in this story, but originally he was a side character. His part in TW1 was very similar to what Berengar had in the final game. Originally they wanted to make a hack'n'slash game like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and you indeed could create your own character and even pick a gender. They had to change an engine (original engine belonged to programmer who refused to move to Warsaw) and managed to licence Aurora from BioWare, which impacted their direction. When they started working with this engine they slowly shifted towards more narrative-oriented game and they felt that custom character like this may not work and they opted for a fixed protagonist instead

But initially it wasn't Geralt, but Berengar, the same guy I mentioned earlier. He was originally the protagonist of The Witcher 1. After a while CD Projekt decided to make yet another change and opted for making Geralt as a lead. But not for budget reason, but because of his recognizability. Geralt was The Witcher and they felt a new protagonist may not be able to live up to his legacy. So they made this switch and Berengar's role was rewritten to occupy similar story Geralt had initially, but obviously with some changes as his personality and backstory were different. You can see earlier designs of Berengar in this trailer

I've read multiple takes about this whole story by my links are mostly in Russian and kinda dead in 2024. Nice to see fellow geek.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Women can't be Witchers.
Lorewise the Alchemy involved has 100% mortality rate on females and 70% mortality rate on males so this would be correct. Though I think they could easily retcon this if a different Witcher School was more adept at Alchemy and could create both Male and Female Witchers. I imagine a nice story point is a different school tries new reagents and you only get one success out of a batch of characters. Kind of similar to how creating Wardens in Dragon Age typically has a high failure rate. With this you get your chosen one archetype.

El Muerto

Gold Member
Man, nobody here read the books and it shows. It's likely going to be Ciri, or maybe Yennefer. The books revolve around all 3 characters, they're not all focused just on Geralt.

Denton

It will be custom Witcher from the school of Lynx.

I hope OG characters have good and extensive roles still.

And I hope Geralt will come out of retirement for the fifth game, eventually. He is still the best protag of any game.

timothet

Well, it's not THEIR lore but the original author's.

Making major changes in an established lore breaks the immersion and hence the enjoyment of the game.
Judging by the whole Netflix shitshow, the author has no problems with the lore of his creation being fucked with as long as it comes attached with a hefty check.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Even so you can still have someone with their own abilities in the Witcher world. How often do people really get hung up playing as Link in the Legend of Zelda? Name title is largely meaningless.
Eh the Spirit of the Hero is a bit different then the process of creating a Witcher. And thus far I've yet to see a single iteration of a Female Link ever appearing. The only example could potentially be Linkle but as of yet she is non-canon and is only a Pretender. All incarnations of the Hero have been male to this day.

jason10mm

Gold Member
dgrzbz2-566f30c8-b107-4991-8015-fcc76eebec37.jpg

count me in
There is SO MUCH wrong with this image that I LOVE IT!!!!!

Pretty sure the Witcher chemical soup was directly antagonistic to women and gave Ciri lots of problems. I wanna take a character through the Trial of Grasses or whatever it was and be back in time when there were lots of monsters around. I feel like the Geralt story is pretty played out at this point.

TheMan

He’ll take on Vesemir’s old role of the wisened but gruff old guy.

My bet’s on Ciri being the protagonist

Aenima

Hope the game has a character creator or is a new male character, how else i will be able to plow the ladies of the night?

I like Ciri, but dont want a full game playing with her. Shes also too OP and dont need two swords.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom