• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geralt won't be the protagonist in Witcher 4, but he will be present, says voice actor

LordOfChaos

I always thought a planet hopping Ciri with her powers in 3 would be a great next game for it. I'm into it if that's the case, and Geralt can be more of a mentor like Vesimir. Could be good if they stick it.

BouncyFrag

CDPR should take a year and wait for all the tyrannical BS facing the world shows its true self, gets rekd, and then go from there.

Vlodril

Amazing how much like reset era these knee jerk reactions are. No one can be calm for 5 minutes before they actually get any info. It's not like cp was just a couple of years ago and we have some recent evidence of the company's policies or something. Everything is WOKE these for some people.

Isa

I don't mind the character creator, Ciri is ok, and I'd like to play as one of the other babes like Yennefer or the redhead lol. Ciri is too OP and a Mary Sue, it'd be tough to build a full series on imho.

But maybe they could go to the inspirational source for a new game lol.

This might rustle a few jimmies but the more you know the better. Granted I'm not against be inspired by something, everyone across all cultures and time have done it. And led to some neat derivatives and innovations. But sometimes this reads more like how Batman was just an early theft of the much more popular at the time The Shadow property, which is really cool historically and influential. Those Batman thefts being downright tracing the original Shadow comics haha.

SHA

If Ciri is the bitch then I'm out, I've put too much faith on her and can't tolerate her going sideways.

Last edited:

Phase

They come for every great series eventually. Witcher had a good run. I'll continue playing my very large backlog of roms and pc games. I barely even pay attention to new releases nowadays. It leaves me way less frustrated.

feynoob

Banned
The outrage never ends.
Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

feynoob

Banned
They come for every great series eventually. Witcher had a good run. I'll continue playing my very large backlog of roms and pc games. I barely even pay attention to new releases nowadays. It leaves me way less frustrated.
Didn't his story finished?
You can't keep using the same character for every entry of the series.

Bernardougf

Why? She's a Mary Sue who is also the Girl Who is The Key to Everything. Aside from being two fucking boring tropes for the price of one, what is so awesome about her?
You know who would be awsome as the witcher protagonist? The fucking witcher.

I wonder why the fuck change things that are working just fine... witcher 3 was a huge success... what to do next ? Change the fucking protagonist! Lets go! ... You would think that first, a game not well received would have to be made brfore thinking about changing the protagonist.

feynoob

Banned
You know who would be awsome as the witcher protagonist? The fucking witcher.

I wonder why the fuck change things that are working just fine... witcher 3 was a huge success... what to do next ? Change the fucking protagonist! Lets go! ... You would think that first, a game not well received would have to be made brfore thinking about changing the protagonist.
That is a weak point. The Witcher title isn't exclusive to him. There are other witchers beside him.
Plus CDPR would have to expand the universe of that game, if they want to keep using it.

Also, when did using a new character become a stigma? Did people suddenly become crybabies? Getting offended for introducing new stuff? They own the series and can do whatever the F they want with it.

StueyDuck

That is a weak point. The Witcher title isn't exclusive to him. There are other witchers beside him.
Plus CDPR would have to expand the universe of that game, if they want to keep using it.

Also, when did using a new character become a stigma? Did people suddenly become crybabies? Getting offended for introducing new stuff? They own the series and can do whatever the F they want with it.
Honestly this is a weak point.

Franchises keeping the main character is not some crazy wacky idea that incels came up with or whatever.

007 is always James bond even though there are other 007s, it's like watching 2 seasons of something like the mentalist then throwing your toys cause the third season continues to have the same titular mentalist as the character.

Changing the character is definitely the dumber decision for storied franchises with well recognized characters.

Imagine going to watch alien romulous and there isn't a chest burster.

Last edited:
If the game is called "The witcher" the protagonist must be "the" witcher. Not a witcher, or some kind of witcher, or a gender studies graduate that identifies as witcher. Gerald de Rivia is The Witcher. If CD Projekt wants to make a game in that universe with another protagonist, they must call it differently.

feynoob

Banned
Honestly this is a weak point.

Franchises keeping the main character is not some crazy wacky idea that incels came up with or whatever.

007 is always James bond even though there are other 007s, it's like watching 2 seasons of something like the mentalist then throwing your toys cause the third season continues to have the same titular mentalist as the character.

Changing the character is definitely the dumber decision for storied franchises with well recognized characters.

Imagine going to watch alien romulous and there isn't a chest burster.
Because the story is about 007. You can milk franchise like that. But stories like Geralt has limitations. It needs fresh start before it gets stale.

StueyDuck

Because the story is about 007. You can milk franchise like that. But stories like Geralt has limitations. It needs fresh start before it gets stale.
007 is just a designation, he is James bond it's literally the exact same situation.

If anything fantasy can be milked far more than a semi grounded spy thriller.

A magic goblin poops magic dust and now Geralt is 20 again boom fresh start

feynoob

Banned
007 is just a designation, he is James bond it's literally the exact same situation.

If anything fantasy can be milked far more than a semi grounded spy thriller.

A magic goblin poops magic dust and now Geralt is 20 again boom fresh start
007 can do alot of missions and each mission can be stand alone movie.

Fantasy characters for video games need a reason to keep using them for too long. Doom, Halo, etc.

The Witcher doesn't have that. Geralt story requires closure at some stage. Or do a reboot like God of war.

StueyDuck

007 can do alot of missions and each mission can be stand alone movie.

Fantasy characters for video games need a reason to keep using them for too long. Doom, Halo, etc.

The Witcher doesn't have that. Geralt story requires closure at some stage. Or do a reboot like God of war.
It's literally magic, it's the easiest way to write a story out of any situation.

If the writers aren't good enough to write a story about thee Witcher then maybe they shouldn't make a Witcher game 🤣.

They could literally have ciri open up a portal and now they hopping through time and space. You are acting like fantasy has any sort of rules or boundaries. He could literally be a mouse the entire game of the Witcher 4. Because fantasy.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
We're 100% playing a woman in their next game.
lol mayyyyybe.

Could be Ciri.

I'm ok with what ever they do, but expect people to start bringing up agenda conspiracies on why he isn't the main character lol

Blood and Wine.
Not only did they put the look at camera at the end of the questline saying Geralt is pretty much done.

The little epilogue after that makes it clear its after the main story though you can start the expansion after a certain point (and spoil the main story). The final vineyard scene with Ciri is meant to take place after she becomes a Witcher with Geralt which arguably is the happy ending. Minute 3:09 btw.

cdpr wrote Geralt the happy ending he deserved so why would they go all punished Geralt in another Witcher game.

True.

I haven't played that expansion in years lol I think after it came out, I never went back to it lol So a good reminder. I'm more ok with them moving on then most, as artistically, I love progressive stories where a character has seen their ark and completed it and moves on. I even think you can do more harm then good sometimes by keeping a character around for many, many games. What real "threat" exist in that world where this person can never die? It starts to turn into a Saturday morning cartoon show. So, I'm fine with a character being killed, dying or moving on or a new character taking over etc

I loved what they did with MGS2 (with Raiden being the main character for most of the game)
Love what they did a lot with The Last Of Us 2 (one of the greatest games of all time)

I'm simply ok with the focus on the world being the star and the character merely one of the many, vs some main character invincibility type shit. I would have even preferred Snake died in MGS4...

rye0E8.gif
jvwMpru.jpeg

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
It's literally magic, it's the easiest way to write a story out of any situation.

If the writers aren't good enough to write a story about thee Witcher then maybe they shouldn't make a Witcher game 🤣.
That common misconception. Every story has a beginning or ending. It depends on how the story is set up. You can have a long running series, if you keep alot of mysteries. But once you define a target for your story, it will be hard to continue with the current cast.

You can create a new character, who is student studying under Geralt. Do time Skip and make new generation. This allows you to follow GTA series, assassin creed, fall out, elder scrolls, final fantasy, type of stories. The focus would be the Witcher world and how they operate.

They could literally have ciri open up a portal and now they hopping through time and space. You are acting like fantasy has any sort of rules or boundaries. He could literally be a mouse the entire game of the Witcher 4. Because fantasy.
This is a reboot. Changing the direction, in order to create a new story. Ciri opening a portal to a different world means new challenges for geralt. Hence the god of war type reboot.

That works great, but it has to be a satisfying story. Doing something like this might ruin the story in the process. Or it might advance the series.

StereoVsn

Oh god please not Ciri. She was fucking boring to play even in 10 minutes sections of TW3.
I don’t think Ciri would be a good main heroine for the main Witcher title. She is too overpowered unless they go with usual “amnesia route” line with Gerald in Witcher 1.

Juza

I would prefer to create my own witcher and choose his school, as each school has its own unique passive abilities.

I don't think a sequel to witcher 3 having a "create your own hero" would be a good sign at all because the strength of the witcher is all in the characters, story and dialogue. Once the lead character is no longer a likeable, established character like Geralt, but a blank slate type of character, you've moved very far away from the type of world class dialogue and interactions witcher 3 is known for.

I'd say the only thing worse is what they are probably planning to do, which is updating the series to have a protagonist suited to "modern audiences," which is the kiss of death to good story telling.

peek

??? whole lotta ciri hate in here! Shes great, I hope its gonna follow her as the main. You can even write up some shit like she loses her powers so shes vulnerable. Has to fight like a real witcher.

YuLY

Ciri probably wont even be in the game, let alone be a playable character. We will most likely be creating our own character and be able to choose from different witcher schools each with some unique perks and abilities and a bit of dialogue flair.

Hugare

Y'all calm down

They've released Phantom Liberty. If you have any doubts that they still got it, play that masterpiece.

Cyberpunk had amazing women (and even trans) characters that were done right, that weren't elevated by diminishing male characters.

They havent become Insomniac. Chill.

I doubt that they will beat Geralt with a golf club

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Y'all calm down

They've released Phantom Liberty. If you have any doubts that they still got it, play that masterpiece.

Cyberpunk had amazing women (and even trans) characters that were done right, that weren't elevated by diminishing male characters.

They havent become Insomniac. Chill.

I doubt that they will beat Geralt with a golf club
They dont care. They just want to get outraged that is all.

They think this is bad.

No Gerald would be very disappointing imo because he was a cool and memorable character imo, but I like Ciri as well. Honestly, the safest bet would to just allow a character creator mode where you can create whatever you want.

Shubh_C63

Allow them to be creative instead of doing the same thing over and over again.

I will be happy if it's not even Ciri because they will still make a better game and story than most developers.

Top Bottom