• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HBO Original | The Last of Us | Part 1 OT | Endure & Survive

Shakka43

I absolutely loved part 1 and haven’t played Part 2 yet and know lots of people that skipped it as well so I’d say it was a terrible idea. I have it on the shelf now though, found it cheap on Black Friday, if I play it I’ll do it for the gameplay, the story turned to poop as far as I’m concerned. The game got new fans though and lots of talk and a TV Show now as well, but I can’t see how they could keep me interested if they fast forward into that scenario for season 2.
Give it a go cause the gameplay is just insane, and the voice acting and music are excellent. The game pretty much excels at everything except for having a good story to tell and a fulfilling ending, and both of those things are pretty subjective, many liked it, many hated it.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Did anyone else pick up a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli on impulse while they were grocery shopping after watching episode 4? I haven't eaten them since I was a kid, will probably have it for lunch tomorrow.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
When did they say it’s a 50/50 story? It just sounds like a post construction to me, Part 1 without the DLC is like 90% Joel.
They didn't say it's 50/50, they said Ellie is the action hero of the franchise and Part I is her origin story. Watch the Grounded making of...

VulcanRaven

‘The Last Of Us’ Debuts At No. 6 On Nielsen Streaming Charts, Outpacing ‘House Of The Dragon’ Viewership

Article has a photo from the next episode:

https://deadline.com/2023/02/the-la...netflix-nielsen-streaming-ratings-1235262602/

The Last of Us officially hit the Nielsen streaming charts for the week of January 16 to January 22 with 837M minutes viewed (No. 6). That outpaces viewership for another HBO hit, House of the Dragon, in the same interval.

Despite premiering the week prior, the series didn’t make the charts because Episode 1 had only been available for a few hours when Nielsen’s measurement window closed. However, Nielsen did note that in just those few hours, the Pedro Pascal-led series accumulated 223M viewing minutes. Nielsen streaming measurements only account for viewing on HBO Max, so these numbers don’t reflect any viewership on HBO’s linear channel

With a full week of Episode 1 viewing plus a few hours with Episode 2 on the service, viewing skyrocketed. In the same two-episode-circumstances, House of the Dragon amassed 741M minutes viewed.

According to HBO, The Last of Us has been delivering series high audiences each week since it premiered in January. Following the release of Episode 3, HBO said that the first two episodes were averaging 21.3M viewers.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
‘The Last Of Us’ Debuts At No. 6 On Nielsen Streaming Charts, Outpacing ‘House Of The Dragon’ Viewership

Article has a photo from the next episode:

https://deadline.com/2023/02/the-la...netflix-nielsen-streaming-ratings-1235262602/
Damn, this show is huge. I knew it was huge by anecdotal evidence of my good friend saying everyone at work (at the hospital) was talking about it, and they're not gamers or knew it came from a game. They all love it so far and are hooked.

Everyone will know beforehand. I dont see people holding back on spoilers even slightly
Yeah, that would be like someone seeing Empire Strikes Back for the first time today and being shocked to find out Darth Vader is Luke's father.

7rQhCU4.gif

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Did anyone else pick up a can of Chef Boyardee ravioli on impulse while they were grocery shopping after watching episode 4? I haven't eaten them since I was a kid, will probably have it for lunch tomorrow.

I don't need an excuse to pick up the Chef's finest creations, I buy it once every few months. Nothing goes down quite like a late night min ravioli. Just make sure you cook it right (in a pot, not a microwave)
Enhanced by melted cheddar cheese, chili flakes, and oregano but these are stictly optional.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I absolutely loved part 1 and haven’t played Part 2 yet and know lots of people that skipped it as well so I’d say it was a terrible idea. I have it on the shelf now though, found it cheap on Black Friday, if I play it I’ll do it for the gameplay, the story turned to poop as far as I’m concerned. The game got new fans though and lots of talk and a TV Show now as well, but I can’t see how they could keep me interested if they fast forward into that scenario for season 2.
Posts like this come off as pure nonsense. The game is incredible.

Robb

Gold Member
Just saw Ep. 5, it was OK but went by too fast to get any feelings for the new characters. Seemed like a waste when they’ve taken the time to make a series out of this. They should be able to give stuff more time.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Yeah, that would be like someone seeing Empire Strikes Back for the first time today and being shocked to find out Darth Vader is Luke's father.

7rQhCU4.gif

Wait, Darth Vader is Luke's father? No need to make up fake star wars stuff. Next thing you are going to say is Leia is his sister or some weird crap like that. What is this, game of thrones? 😉

FunkMiller

Gold Member

GOTY games… Emmy winning shows. Would be the first time in history a video game television adaptation won an Emmy no?

Having watched all of those shows... yes, I'd have to say that pound for pound TLOU is the best one of the four, largely due to how fantastic the characters are.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Sony's secret sauce with the last of us was getting quality people involved in the production.

I'm not sure they're exactly on the right path with any of their other projects.

Chad Stahelski is an interesting one, where he might be up to the task. Neill Blomkamp is a known value, but not necessarily a great value.

Rafe Judkins did a terrible job with Uncharted and Wheel of Time apparently isn't great. Doesn't speak volumes for the chances of God of War.

Ruben Fleischer is another very sub par director, so rewarding him after Uncharted with Jak and Daxter doesn't make much sense.

One of the reasons why Phase 2 of Marvel was so successful is because they started getting better directors involved.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Personally liked Ep. 3 as a whole, but just found out Sydney Watson made a gaming YT channel and this has been her first video:

And well, rather unsurprisingly for someone familiar with the character since 2017, she's spot on on every single thing she says.

a 14 minutes video about being homophobic... naiss

i also had issues with ron being

Last edited:

Katajx

Just finished my playthrough of part 1. The episode was pretty decent, but Ashley Johnson did such a great job that I struggle with the way some of it turns out in live action.

Bella Ramsey shows off an angry Ellie well, but she doesn’t make me feel anything for her in the sad moments with the way it is played.

The last of us isn’t my favorite series by any means, but is this like when people compare a movie or a show to something they read as a book first?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
In the game, Joel lost Sarah, Tess, Henry, and Sam before meeting with Tommy.
On the show (so far) Joel has lost Sarah, Tess, and Bill.

Don't think of the dialog as some throwaway lines. Ellie knew Joel was scared of losing her and that's why he called out his bullshit and mentioned Sam and his Daughter Sarah.

It's not a good argument by saying he will eventually get close to Ellie anyways when we know what these moments with other characters are designed to do and what they mean going forward.

All that hinges on if he sees Ellie as a daughter already or as a means to get his merchandise back(and honor Tess) which in the game seems to happen past that point. He still talks to Tommy about charging him with delivering Ellie to the Fireflies and collecting the payment. He was more concerned about getting enough gear back to set him on his own way again than Ellie's future.

And yet at that point Joel wants to get rid of Ellie and go his own way. It's only because Tommy's too deeply rooted where he is that Joel stays with Ellie. The show will probably chance it though.

Bump

This is a conversation I had WEEKS ago and tonight's episode confirmed EVERYTHING that I told you. lol

Joel was scared of losing Ellie and he didn't believe he was capable of protecting her.

Last edited:
I thought this was another strong episode. Really starting to feel the Joel/Ellie relationship more as it's being developed. They aren't the characters from the game, but it's fine they're working in their own regard. I'm getting used to Bella's Ellie being different; there was a weird disconnect in the first few episodes but these last two episodes it's been easier to let go of the game character and settle in with the show character.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No idea why we had to see Joel's character assassination in this episode. I had figured that this more mellowed version of Joel was written for the finale to have a bigger shock, but its obvious that they were building up to this. showing Joel as unsure of himself, weak, emotional, bad at killing people, and a bit of a coward is an interesting take.

One that I fucking hate, but whatever, they are allowed to take the show in a different direction. ranch scene was ok. Sets were amazing. weird after those rough KC episodes that felt very cheap. they've put a lot of effort and money into this show, and while it doesnt always show, it definitely was great to see TLOU2's sets make an appearance here.

#NoMyJoel but it's Neil's character, his game and his show so go nuts. I am just mentally checking out at this point. will try to enjoy it for what it is, but i just dont understand why they had to change ANY lines or character motivations from the game which was as close to perfect as you're going to get. Ranch scene shouldve been copy pasta.

Last edited:
Joels injury was pretty anticlimatic compared to the game. Its like hbo ran out money and couldnt do another firefight.

Killing like 15 people ducking behind cover (with ellie running around like shes on fire) is just not realistic

This is what people mad about part 2 didn’t understand. Joel is not a superhero, he’s a old ass man. He survived in the apocalypse the same way everyone else has

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No idea why we had to see Joel's character assassination in this episode. I had figured that this more mellowed version of Joel was written for the finale to have a bigger shock, but its obvious that they were building up to this. showing Joel as unsure of himself, weak, emotional, bad at killing people, and a bit of a coward is an interesting take.

One that I fucking hate, but whatever, they are allowed to take the show in a different direction. ranch scene was ok. Sets were amazing. weird after those rough KC episodes that felt very cheap. they've put a lot of effort and money into this show, and while it doesnt always show, it definitely was great to see TLOU2's sets make an appearance here.

#NoMyJoel but it's Neil's character, his game and his show so go nuts. I am just mentally checking out at this point. will try to enjoy it for what it is, but i just dont understand why they had to change ANY lines or character motivations from the game which was as close to perfect as you're going to get. Ranch scene shouldve been copy pasta.

I think people put Joel too high on a pedestal.

Joel was unsure of his ability to protect Ellie in the game and I don't see how anyone missed that. The major difference is that we're now seeing him cry.

People said Frank and Bill's death meant nothing and that they were meaningless. EVERY death on this show has a direct connection with Joel and his character and we're not seeing him break.

Both in the game and in the TV, Joel was scared of losing Ellie because he started to get close to her.

Killing like 15 people ducking behind cover (with ellie running around like shes on fire) is just not realistic

This is what people mad about part 2 didn’t understand. Joel is not a superhero, he’s a old ass man. He survived in the apocalypse the same way everyone else has
15 no, but 4 sure why not. HBO even allowed his Drake style neck break.
Guaranteed he's killing at least 6 in the final episode.

3liteDragon

Pedro & Bella knocked it out of the park, Pedro's on another level man, they translated one of the best game moments ever perfectly into the show. And that scene inside with Tommy, 💯💯💯. What an amazing episode, my second best for sure.

The season up until now has been exceptional television so far, 3 more to go.

My current EP ranking: 3 > 6 > 5 > 2 > 1 > 4

The Joel & Tommy scene I was talking about.

Confrontation scene.

Top Bottom